Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Does downgrading put you into a new contract? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706664)

Ken W 05-08-2018 14:24

Re: Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35958222)
I've always found it is the acceptance of an offer which will tie you in to a new contract - not just changing the tier of the subscription.

It is not uncommon for the charge to go up if you remove something because of the way things are bundled.

I am out of contract.
I wanted to remove the TV part just leaving phone and BB but I was told the cost would increase as I had bundle.

pip08456 05-08-2018 14:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35958232)
I am out of contract.
I wanted to remove the TV part just leaving phone and BB but I was told the cost would increase as I had bundle.

What problem is that? VM have always given discounts on bundles, you now longer wanted it so you lose the discount.

pengedragon 05-08-2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35958232)
I am out of contract.

So just take up their offer and don't plug the TV box in

RichardCoulter 05-08-2018 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35958222)
I've always found it is the acceptance of an offer which will tie you in to a new contract - not just changing the tier of the subscription.

It is not uncommon for the charge to go up if you remove something because of the way things are bundled.

That's how I understood it to work, it's fair enough to introduce a new minimum term in return for an extra discount, but not for simply changing packages.

My intention would be to move down to the Player package, but if they're going to start playing games i'll cancel altogether as other TV suppliers are better and/or cheaper, I can do without a landline and I can get cheaper slower BB which would suit me fine.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35958251)

Yeah, there's nothing to say that you have to actually use the extra service that attracts the discount. I know of people who have never even plugged in a phone to their VM telephone socket!

pip08456 05-08-2018 17:11

So what you are saying Richard is anyone can change the terms of any contract and it doesn't become a new one?

Could you explain further.

RichardCoulter 06-08-2018 12:10

The salient point of this thread is to find out if VM are now reintroducing a minimum term or not when customers change TV packages.

This never used to be the case, the only condition was that customers had to give 30 days notice as is still the case with Sky.

It's pointless ringing them to ask, if past experience is anything to go by, i'm more likely to be understood and obtain a correct answer by calling my local Tesco.

pip08456 06-08-2018 12:26

I'm sorry Richard but the salient point seems to be if by changing the terms of your existing contract (upgrade or downgrade) constitutes a change of contract.

Obviously it does and VM now have a policy of implementing it.

What used to happen or what others do is immaterial surely.

RichardCoulter 06-08-2018 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35958336)
I'm sorry Richard but the salient point seems to be if by changing the terms of your existing contract (upgrade or downgrade) constitutes a change of contract.

Obviously it does and VM now have a policy of implementing it.

What used to happen or what others do is immaterial surely.

So is it definetly now the case that VM reintroduce a minimum term as part of any new contract created when a TV package is changed?

pip08456 06-08-2018 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958339)
So is it definetly now the case that VM reintroduce a minimum term as part of any new contract created when a TV package is changed?

Only VM can answer that.

Hugh 06-08-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958339)

Why don't you ask them?

Ken W 06-08-2018 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by pengedragon (Post 35958251)

That is the package that I am on and as I don't what Virgin TV as I can get all that I watch via my aerial l wanted to drop VM TV side to save some money but they said I already get a discount, there Is no mention of the discount on my VM bill.

pip08456 06-08-2018 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35958352)
That is the package that I am on and as I don't what Virgin TV as I can get all that I watch via my aerial l wanted to drop VM TV side to save some money but they said I already get a discount, there Is no mention of the discount on my VM bill.

Then cancel the TV and pay the extra. It's not rocket science to see you are getting a bundle discount.

Mythica 06-08-2018 16:12

Or even easier, go on to the VM website and look at the prices.

ozsat 06-08-2018 16:14

My understanding when I spoke to them is that downgrading the package does not start a new contract term - but accepting an offer within that new package will.

RichardCoulter 07-08-2018 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35958349)
Why don't you ask them?

It would take a very large leap of faith to think that you would be able to find the correct information by doing that. You're lucky if they understand what your saying and vice versa with that foreign call centre.

Like I said earlier, you probably have more chance of finding out the correct answer by calling Tesco!