Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : One show highlights countrywide VM BB issues. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709802)

RichardCoulter 18-02-2021 03:58

One show highlights countrywide VM BB issues.

From about 6 minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sdj9

General Maximus 18-02-2021 12:46

Re: One show highlights countrywide VM BB issues.

can you provide a two sentence summary so we don't have to bum around with iplayer and signing in.

Jaymoss 18-02-2021 13:06

It actually starts at 4:35

General I would summarise but I can be as bothered as you are to open iplayer and watch it ;)

Hugh 18-02-2021 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36071122)
can you provide a two sentence summary so we don't have to bum around with iplayer and signing in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...g-virgin-media

Quote:

Watchdog received more complaints about Virgin Media than any other big four broadband provider since the start of 2021.

Watchdog heard from customers who experienced a range of issues, including slower than expected broadband speeds; no internet connection at all; difficulty contacting the Virgin Media customer service team and lengthy delays to repair work.

As part of the piece Matt Allwright visited a neighbourhood in St Albans, where residents told him about speed and connection issues they had been experiencing since late 2020. During the current lockdown, they have come to rely more on their broadband to work, home school, and keep in touch with family members, but that the issues they have experienced has made this extremely challenging.

The issues highlighted by the St Albans neighbours reflected issues Watchdog has heard from Virgin Media customers around the country.

Hom3r 18-02-2021 13:49

Trouble is people move to the middle of nowhere and demand high speed BB, and refuse to accept it is not viable for BB companies to did miles of hoes to install cables and the cost of £100,000s for a few houses.

Paul 18-02-2021 17:23

No problems here :)

Itshim 19-02-2021 16:19

Change supplier if you are not happy .Guess it can't that bad

RichardCoulter 19-02-2021 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36071272)
Change supplier if you are not happy .Guess it can't that bad

Some people don't have any choice because of the type of BB that they want/need. I guess VM know this & believe that they can treat their customets with contempt.

Fortunately, there now seems to be more competition emerging in some areas.

Hugh 20-02-2021 12:56

I don’t believe that any company believes that they can treat their customers with contempt (well, maybe Ryanair).

Maggy 20-02-2021 13:41

I don't know how countrywide the complaints are. Mostly for me VM give a good steady service. Just the odd occasion which invariably gets fixed within a morning or afternoon.

Paul 20-02-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071313)
Some people don't have any choice because of the type of BB that they want/need.

Really ?
Can you name an area (or areas) where VM is the only BB choice.

So a few people have issues and suddenly its a major "countrywide" issue ?

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36071438)
Really ?
Can you name an area (or areas) where VM is the only BB choice.

So a few people have issues and suddenly its a major "countrywide" issue ?

They say they can't get the speeds offered by VM from other providers, is this not correct??

According to the BBC report it is.

Sirius 20-02-2021 21:19

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071447)
They say they can't get the speeds offered by VM from other providers, is this not correct??

According to the BBC report it is.

Then maybe the other providers need to spend some money and build a better network.

Instead of having a dig at VM " nothing new there BTW" have a dig at the other providers who have not bothered to build better backbones and local networks. If you knew how much is spent each year by VM on updating and expanding there network you would understand why we have faster speeds. BTW i am not going to say how much before you ask

Screen shot below is my speed at 20-02-2021 21.27

RichardCoulter 20-02-2021 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 36071458)
Then maybe the other providers need to spend some money and build a better network.

Instead of having a dig at VM " nothing new there BTW" have a dig at the other providers who have not bothered to build better backbones and local networks. If you knew how much is spent each year by VM on updating and expanding there network you would understand why we have faster speeds. BTW i am not going to say how much before you ask

Screen shot below is my speed at 20-02-2021 21.27

I speak according to my experience, good or bad; there is an enormous amount of customer dissatisfaction with VM at the moment due to various issues. As a VM employee, you are hardly going to give an unbiased opinion.

I believe that other networks have improved their speeds after investment and, thankfully, there are now new providers springing up in various parts of the country that will hopefully drive up the standards of VM.

Paul 20-02-2021 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071467)
there is an enormous amount of customer dissatisfaction with VM at the moment due to various issues.

On what actual evidence do you base that ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36071467)
As a VM employee, you are hardly going to give an unbiased opinion.

Try not to live up to your name. :dozey: