Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

icsys 21-06-2008 17:43

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicz (Post 34580926)
Finally found time to listen to Steve Gibson's podcast http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm Boy does he like to talk! Still, very impressive, and his genuine indignation at both what the ISPs are doing and the backgrounds of phorm and NebuAd is very apparent and speaks volumes. Next episode in two weeks 'all about phorm' promises to be a cracker.

Quite a long podcast. (35 mins worth on Phorm and NebuAd)
He claims that Phorm is much worse than NebuAd as NebuAd does not use cookies. In fact the words used are 'unbelievably intrusive'.
But NebuAd does not need the cookies as they use your IP address to track you.

I would suggest that NebuAd is worse.

The podcast in two weeks sounds like it could be very interesting...
Steve says if you have questions for the podcast they can be posted here

popper 21-06-2008 17:50

http://www.webmasterworld.com/search...rs/3679120.htm
"PRincrediBILL
CHere's an emerging story that should concern webmasters and cause the alarms to sound IMO.

When I went to check on the status of Project Rialto today, which runs the PRCrawler, their site proclaimed they are now emerging as Kindsight.

Kindsight is a value-added services provider specializing in network-based security solutions for residential internet use. We deliver an always-on, always-up-to-date security service embedded in internet service providers’ networks to address what we call the “flawed malware defense cycle”.

Sounds good, right?
So why do they crawl?
OK, I won't keep you in suspense, it appears they crawl to "data mine" to find out what your site is about so they can target ads to your, um their, customers!

The Kindsight service, as with other free on-line applications such as search engines and map functions, is funded through an advertising mechanism but without the use of cookies, pop-ups or spam. Instead, we deliver ads on sites that are of interest to the subscriber base.

If they don't use pop-ups, how exactly are they going to show their customers ads?
"rawler Emerges From Stealth Mode as Kindsight
ISPs to insert their own ads under guise of security software?

BadPhormula 21-06-2008 17:51

[Admin Edit:- Off-topic Post Deleted]

G UK 21-06-2008 18:12

[Admin Edit:- Off-topic Post Deleted]

vicz 21-06-2008 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34580969)
http://www.webmasterworld.com/search...rs/3679120.htm
"PRincrediBILL
CHere's an emerging story that should concern webmasters and cause the alarms to sound IMO.

When I went to check on the status of Project Rialto today, which runs the PRCrawler, their site proclaimed they are now emerging as Kindsight.

Kindsight is a value-added services provider specializing in network-based security solutions for residential internet use. We deliver an always-on, always-up-to-date security service embedded in internet service providers’ networks to address what we call the “flawed malware defense cycle”.

Sounds good, right?
So why do they crawl?
OK, I won't keep you in suspense, it appears they crawl to "data mine" to find out what your site is about so they can target ads to your, um their, customers!

The Kindsight service, as with other free on-line applications such as search engines and map functions, is funded through an advertising mechanism but without the use of cookies, pop-ups or spam. Instead, we deliver ads on sites that are of interest to the subscriber base.

If they don't use pop-ups, how exactly are they going to show their customers ads?
"rawler Emerges From Stealth Mode as Kindsight
ISPs to insert their own ads under guise of security software?

Blimey! How many of these damn boxes are going to end up being stacked in my clickstream?

Here is a good emerging rule of thumb: The more the PR spin promises to give me a wonderful sugar coated service and protect my privacy the worse for me the lying scumbags are.

I fear we are swimming against the tide here. I think its the end of the cleartext Internet as we know it, https is the way of the future.

G UK 21-06-2008 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicz (Post 34580986)
Blimey! How many of these damn boxes are going to end up being stacked in my clickstream?

Here is a good emerging rule of thumb: The more the PR spin promises to give me a wonderful sugar coated service and protect my privacy the worse for me the lying scumbags are.

I fear we are swimming against the tide here. I think its the end of the cleartext Internet as we know it, https is the way of the future.

Its the new market niche many of these firms think they have found. This is why this campaign has to go further than Phorm.

When we take down Phorm we will be sending a strong message to the rest but they will still need to be dealt with.

Dephormation 21-06-2008 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34580920)
google webwise and up pops the BBC webwise how confusing is that.

Last time I checked, Phorm had not successfully registered the name 'Webwise'.

It was owned by BBC, HP and others, and for overlapping use in the field of IT.

When I last looked it was still open to BBC, HP and others to object to the Webwise registration by Phorm.

Pete.

See here; Webwise trademark registration status is 'advertised'

HP, Xara, or BBC could yet stop Phorm registering Webwise as a trademark (or at least delay it) if they so choose. Other registered users;

Xara, Hewlett-Packard Development Company, British Broadcasting Corporation

popper 21-06-2008 18:23

lets not forget OC that it was the DPI vendors themselves that decided to produce these expanded DPI for profit targeted advertising and related devices, purely to find a way to increase their sales of their limited market ISP/Co-Location internal network DPI kit....

i posted a link to one of those Vendor quotes from http://www.lightreading.com/cdn/ somewere in the thread ;)

Dephormation 21-06-2008 18:27

PS, and Phorms current 'trademark' image isn't registered either. Just some crappy Times New Roman image someone knocked up in Wordpad.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Wildie 21-06-2008 18:32

lets be thick for one min (normal for me) up pops webwise opt in/out site me googles webwise oh its the BBC yeah accept without looking at the other listed finds.
may happen may not but the confusion is there.

Mick 21-06-2008 18:35

Polite Reminder: I have just deleted several off-topic posts despite our requests for the topic to remain civil. I do not want to see any more posts which inflames an argument between a set few people. The topic is for Phorm and around Phorm only, not whose banned on other websites. Further such posts will be deleted and member accounts may face suspension from these boards if our requests continue to be ignored.

Thank you for your co-operation.

icsys 21-06-2008 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34581002)
lets be thick for one min (normal for me) up pops webwise opt in/out site me googles webwise oh its the BBC yeah accept without looking at the other listed finds.
may happen may not but the confusion is there.

You could be right there.
Posted in white to see if it gets noticed. My other posts in black seem to be mostly invisible. :(

Privacy_Matters 21-06-2008 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34580996)
PS, and Phorms current 'trademark' image isn't registered either. Just some crappy Times New Roman image someone knocked up in Wordpad.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/madridEU/cache...31311_3481.jpg

Interesting to note that Phorm in the US is meant to be known as Phorm Inc, and Phorm in the UK as Phorm UK Inc.

The note to AIM last year indicated the above, whereas its the other way round on the registration on this link Pete.

popper 21-06-2008 18:38

i wonder what would happen to the trademark if lots of people started complaining to the BBC and it's "right to reply" program had to go on air and explain its not them, but kent and Co, your friendly ex rootkit vendor and potential future commercial pirate.....of 70% of the Uk interweb ;)

Privacy_Matters 21-06-2008 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34581009)
i wonder what would happen to the trademark if lots of people started complaining to the BBC and it's "right to reply" program had to go on air and explain its not them, but kent and Co, your friendly ex rootkit vendor and potential future commercial pirate.....of 70% of the Uk interweb ;)

It would be interesting - considering the BBC are a Public Service, they are owned by us and must act to reasonable objection.