Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709692)

BenMcr 13-01-2021 09:44

Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Virgin are in the process of launching improved WiFi Pods to help customers with coverage along with a further update to the Hub WiFi management

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...gent-wifi-plus
Quote:

Virgin Media has today announced a new game-changing WiFi service that will give millions of customers the UK’s fastest widely available broadband speeds in more areas of their home.

Intelligent WiFi Plus from Virgin Media combines a suite of new, automatically deployed features on its Hub 3 and Hub 4 routers with brand new Intelligent WiFi Pods that help to extend WiFi reach and speeds throughout the home.
These are Plume pods that integrate with the Hub in router mode. You'll just need to plug them in

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/set...lligentwifipod

Hugh 13-01-2021 10:06

Re: Virgin launch new WiFi pods and Hub WiFi improvements

Is this a chargeable extra, Ben?

(irrelevant to me at the moment, as I use Google Mesh for wifi in our home).

BenMcr 13-01-2021 10:19

That's in the press release ;)

Quote:

Intelligent WiFi Plus is available now at no extra cost for Ultimate Oomph and Gig1 customers with other Virgin Media customers able to upgrade to the new service for just £5 per month. Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

RobboEdin 13-01-2021 10:45

It’s important to understand that the Hub 3.0 or Hub4 has to be in Router Mode with a single SSID covering both WiFi bands and Channel Optimisation enabled.
The single SSID from the Hub also broadcasts from each WiFi Pod.

roughbeast 13-01-2021 11:37

No use to me unless it has an ethernet port to connect to by cable network.

Inactive Digital 13-01-2021 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36066487)
It’s important to understand that the Hub 3.0 or Hub4 has to be in Router Mode with a single SSID covering both WiFi bands and Channel Optimisation enabled.
The single SSID from the Hub also broadcasts from each WiFi Pod.

Does the part of intelligent WiFi that doesn't require the plume pods also need both WiFi bands to be using a single SSID? I was told by the technician who installed my hub 3 a few years back to relabel them due to some issue at the time.

RobboEdin 13-01-2021 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36066509)
Does the part of intelligent WiFi that doesn't require the plume pods also need both WiFi bands to be using a single SSID? I was told by the technician who installed my hub 3 a few years back to relabel them due to some issue at the time.

Without the WiFi Pods, you can enable the Channel Optimisation with separate SSIDs for the WiFi bands.

Hugh 13-01-2021 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36066479)
That's in the press release ;)

Thanks - I had clicked on the bottom link.

Doh!

Inactive Digital 13-01-2021 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36066511)
Without the WiFi Pods, you can enable the Channel Optimisation with separate SSIDs for the WiFi bands.

weesteev 13-01-2021 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by roughbeast (Post 36066496)
No use to me unless it has an ethernet port to connect to by cable network.

Both the Plume pods have ethernet I believe, the basic pod has a single GigE and the power pod has dual GigE.

Jaymoss 14-01-2021 01:25

CNET run some tests on Plume Pods and they were not that enamored. Will stick with my TP Link Mesh system :)

Tricky Trevor 14-01-2021 08:17

When does it go live as when I try to order it says they are not ready yet?

Tazz 14-01-2021 19:16

I tried to order them and customer service put me through to faults and faults said it was an area issue causing Wi-Fi blackspots when I called him out that being rubbish he said I need to talk to customer services again so I hung up... waste of time waiting on hold for over an hour...

david_w2k 14-01-2021 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36066600)
CNET run some tests on Plume Pods and they were not that enamored. Will stick with my TP Link Mesh system :)

Interesting. Was wondering if they would replace my Orbi mesh in future but I’ll stick with it as get good performance. Another issue with them (which is why I moved from Google WiFi too) is you can’t manually select channels given their automatic nature. I found with Gwifi it kept selecting the same channel as my Sonos network and causing that to drop out.

Missing out on something for free being on the Oomph package though sadly lol:-(

ASMO 14-01-2021 22:56

Customers will be able to request the new service by calling customer care and most Hub 3 customers can order via the Connect App.

i cant see this on the app? any ideas