Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : New TV advice (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705921)

cityfan247 12-01-2018 17:40

New TV advice

Hi

My Panasonic Plasma TV has given up the ghost and i now need a new main 49-50" TV for the lounge.

I have it connected to an older Tivo box (not the V6) and other gadgets like a blu ray player , firestick and apple tv.

Looking around there is a bewildering array of new TVs to choose from. Many by the same manufacturers with similar specs. My question is what's a good TV to pair up with the Tivo. At present I have no plans to upgrade to the V6.

I imagine picture quality is only as good as the source. So is it worth going for a Super UHD 4K Tv model or am I not going to see the full benefit of it. Would UHD be more than good enough?

For example I have looked at a couple of LG's (if only because I have a 32" LG in another room and am quite happy with it) .

Here's an LG at Currys in a sale £579 (at the top end of my budget)
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...60553-pdt.html

This is super UHD 4K , refresh rate 200Hz, with Edge Lit LED tech??

whilst this LG is at John Lewis a £100 cheaper
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-49uj670...a-overlay_show

UHD 4K, a slower refresh rate 50Hz, Direct LED tech.

They look very similar in appearance. Both are Smart Tv's, Freeview HD, enough Connecting ports ...again similar spec. Both these Tv's have 5 years guarantee which i would like.

Should i save the cash on the cheaper TV or indeed any others you may suggest (maybe put it towards a soundbar or something).

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

BenMcr 12-01-2018 17:49

Re: New TV advice

Definately go for the best spec for your budget.

Soundbars and other extras are good, but in the end you'll be looking at the TV most of the time, so you'll need the best picture you can get.

The Curry's LG set is definitely the better choice out of those two you've looked at.

alwaysabear 12-01-2018 18:27

Sound advice from Ben. I spend days if not weeks when sourcing a new TV, checking spec and value for money.
I would check out all major brands, compare prices and specs.

heero_yuy 12-01-2018 18:40

Sound wise I'd recommend a subwoofer as minimum accessory as the sound is very reedy these days especially as the sets get thinner.

I picked up a bargain 100W vibe unit with adjustable cross-over frequency for £30 off Amazon so they don't need to break the bank.

If the set is wall mounted you'll probably need a sound bar as well as the mounting tends to block the speaker ports on the set.

I'm assuming you haven't already addressed the sound issue.

cityfan247 12-01-2018 18:44

Thanks Ben.

Yes I would usually do the same Bear and research many Tv's. However as the main TV is now broken I am getting a bit of pressure from the family to sort a new one out.

My local Currys hasnt got the LG I want in stock at the moment and when trying to order online it tells mer it is not available for delivery in my area right now (but is in stock at a Currys 50 mikes away!)

I like the sound of a longer guarantee though. Here's a Sony at John Lewis £539

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravi...ilver/p3245972

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Cheers Heero.

yeh most TV's sound is pretty average at best hence the thought on a Soundbar. The TV would not be wall mounted.

That said the Currys LG has Harmon Kardon speakers so would perhaps be better than the norm.

heero_yuy 12-01-2018 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35932234)

I like the sound of a longer guarantee though. Here's a Sony at John Lewis £539

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravi...ilver/p3245972

We're very much Sony fans here. Our 42" HD Bravia has the silver surround and this sort of disappears under subdued light so you just have a floating picture.

The latest Bravia's are running Android so the apps store is available if it's not built in.

BenMcr 12-01-2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cityfan247 (Post 35932234)
My local Currys hasnt got the LG I want in stock at the moment and when trying to order online it tells mer it is not available for delivery in my area right now (but is in stock at a Currys 50 mikes away!)

Curry's tend to get 'special' TVs with slightly different designs and model numbers.

So not sure where you are, but Richer Sounds have a version of the LG TV, but again is a store pick up only:
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-proj...-49sj800v.html

I'm expecting all the other specs for it are exactly the same, and places like ao.com are stocking that model online.

Taf 12-01-2018 19:40

I prefer to visit outlets where you can see them in action. High specs and high prices don't always mean best picture.

Then I choose the best deal online.

SnoopZ 12-01-2018 19:40

I woudn't buy a TV from Currys, get it from a proper shop like Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc you will get a better warranty, go into the shops and talk to the staff, don't rush into it whatever you do.

Get one that supports atleast HDR10 which is a 10bit panel if i remember correctly, it is possible technology has got better since i bought mine last year though, but get atleast a 10bit panel.

muppetman11 12-01-2018 19:56

I'm not sure that's correct , the TV from Currys and the one BenMcr linked to are only 8 bit panels but both support Dolby Vision and HDR10.

SnoopZ 12-01-2018 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35932252)
I'm not sure that's correct , the TV from Currys and the one BenMcr linked to are only 8 bit panels but both support Dolby Vision and HDR10.

Maybe i got it wrong but i was sure when i bought mine a 10bit panel was HDR10.

muppetman11 12-01-2018 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35932254)
Maybe i got it wrong but i was sure when i bought mine a 10bit panel was HDR10.

The two TV's I've listed have an 8bit+2 panel , which means they are 8bit panels but use software enhancements to produce the same colour spectrum as a genuine 10 bit display according to info I've read.

SnoopZ 12-01-2018 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35932255)
The two TV's I've listed have an 8bit+2 panel , which means they are 8bit panels but use software enhancements to produce the same colour spectrum as a genuine 10 bit display according to info I've read.

Don't think that was around when i bought mine, it was just 8bit and 10bit, Dolby Vision may even be 12bit colour, technology changes so quickly! :)

cityfan247 13-01-2018 13:35

Re: New TV & Tivo v6 advice

thanks everyone for the advice.

Currys have now got the LG back in stock so I have ordered it online and it will be delivered tomorrow for free. (I had seen the TV on display in the store and it looked good to me and gets good reviews for the price ) That should keep the family happy.

Now its got me thinking of whether to take advantage of the new screen is it worth getting the Tivo V6??

How much is it to change boxes?
We currently have Xl Tv with sky sports (not HD) and XXl BB (200MB) with talk anytime. With the current bundles thats roughly equivalent to Full House I think. 2 tivos (1TB and 500GB) and a basic HD box.
I would keep the basic box as thats in the granny flat and I dont think my 91 year old mother in law would want a new fangled box. So would would maybe change one or both of the existing Tivos.

daveeb 13-01-2018 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35932249)
I woudn't buy a TV from Currys, get it from a proper shop like Richer Sounds, John Lewis etc you will get a better warranty, go into the shops and talk to the staff, don't rush into it whatever you do.

Get one that supports atleast HDR10 which is a 10bit panel if i remember correctly, it is possible technology has got better since i bought mine last year though, but get atleast a 10bit panel.

This sounds like good advice. Hopefully Currys have upped their game since I last purchased from them, their after sales service used to be dreadful.
I think you can have HDR10 sets which are 8 bit +2 dithering, i'm told the visual difference is very subtle compared to true 10 bit. Not sure there is better than 10 bit available to mainstream buyers, though i could be wrong.