Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704864)

Jon22 09-05-2017 15:05

Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Are there any plans for more than 2 upstream channels to be bonded? Reason I ask is that I've noticed there are 4 upstream channels available in this area, although only 2x16QAM being bonded at any given time. These being:

25.8 MHz
32.6 MHz
39.4 MHz
46.2 MHz

I'm guessing that it's not going to be needed until upload speeds go higher? Although I think I remember 3 upstream channels being bonded when the WiFi sharing was originally released. Is that happening with the re-release of the WiFi sharing?

JordanTheToaster 09-05-2017 16:07

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
With how bad Virgins upload speeds are I doubt they have any need.

Kushan 09-05-2017 19:12

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
About 18 months ago, some people did get a 3rd channel bonded (And possibly a few with 4?), around the time of the "first" Wi-fi rollout before they packed it in. However, it reverted back to just 2 when the rollout was cancelled.

General Maximus 10-05-2017 03:53

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
there were two things going on at the time. They were rolling out a third channel for the public wifi sharing and at the same time there were working on the modulation to try and squeeze more bandwidth out of each channel as they were also in the process of rolling out some new tiers with higher upstream speeds. Although we all went back down to 2 channels afaik everyone should have been on QAM64 (and nit 16) shortly afterwards (which makes it a long time ago).




Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster (Post 35898173)
With how bad Virgins upload speeds are I doubt they have any need.

I can get 12mbits up any time of day any day of the week. My upstream is actually more consistent than my downstream.

JordanTheToaster 10-05-2017 05:26

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
As in you can get 250 with 30 in America and I know in some other country's the upload is far higher for what you get is my point.

olisun 10-05-2017 09:36

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I got some weird modulation for my upstream channels.

Kushan 10-05-2017 10:32

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
They should both be 64QAM, 32QAM is a fallback. The system will try to get the best modulation it can but if it encounters noise, it drops back - more reliable, but less bandwidth.

64QAM > 32QAM > 16QAM -> QPSK

I imagine if you reboot, it'll probably fix itself - but if you're not getting any errors, don't fret over it.

Jon22 10-05-2017 13:36

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35898238)
Although we all went back down to 2 channels afaik everyone should have been on QAM64 (and nit 16) shortly afterwards (which makes it a long time ago).

As far as I know, this area has only ever had 2 bonded at QAM16. But then it's only recently that the connection was moved to a new Cisco CMTS. Although the old CMTS should of been capable of QAM64 on the upstream, so perhaps something else is holding the move back?

adduxi 10-05-2017 22:09

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon22 (Post 35898275)
As far as I know, this area has only ever had 2 bonded at QAM16. But then it's only recently that the connection was moved to a new Cisco CMTS. Although the old CMTS should of been capable of QAM64 on the upstream, so perhaps something else is holding the move back?

Same here, I've been on 2 QAM16 for as long as I can remember. I guess it's, as you say, something else holding up QAM64 ?

General Maximus 10-05-2017 22:20

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
I thought everyone had been on qam64 for a long time. For a while i was on one qam64 and one qam16 but like i said, i am sure both of mine have been 64 for the best part of a year. You wouldnt think so when i post screen dumps to help people out because i repost ones i made about 3 years ago which is why i did anew one for this thread.
I am hoping that in November they'll announce 500mbits on docsis3.1 to start rolling out next year.

SnoopZ 10-05-2017 23:08

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35898341)
I thought everyone had been on qam64 for a long time. For a while i was on one qam64 and one qam16 but like i said, i am sure both of mine have been 64 for the best part of a year. You wouldnt think so when i post screen dumps to help people out because i repost ones i made about 3 years ago which is why i did anew one for this thread.
I am hoping that in November they'll announce 500mbits on docsis3.1 to start rolling out next year.

I've only ever been on qam16 according to my modem settings.

General Maximus 10-05-2017 23:34

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
it is a shame Igni isn't around to provide more info, I haven't seen him in ages.

philipp 11-05-2017 10:13

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35898341)
I thought everyone had been on qam64 for a long time. For a while i was on one qam64 and one qam16 but like i said, i am sure both of mine have been 64 for the best part of a year. You wouldnt think so when i post screen dumps to help people out because i repost ones i made about 3 years ago which is why i did anew one for this thread.
I am hoping that in November they'll announce 500mbits on docsis3.1 to start rolling out next year.

I was QAM 64 and then my ubr was changed/upgraded, Been on QAM 16 ever since.

adduxi 11-05-2017 14:30

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35898351)
it is a shame Igni isn't around to provide more info, I haven't seen him in ages.

He posts over on the VM Forums now and again.

Sephiroth 12-05-2017 23:02

Re: Upstream channel bonding: Any plans to bond more than 2?
 
I've been on 4 upstream channels for nearly a year. 3 are on 64QAM and one still on 16QAM. VM were intending that customers should have upstream at 10% of downstream. To do that, they would need to add upstream capacity, hence 4 channels. But I'm still on 200/12 so I don't know where VM are with that.

Incidentally, if one channel is on 16QAM then that will drag the overall upstream capacity down. 16QAM has 4 bits per symbol & 64QAM has 6 bits per symbol. But because a data packet is split across all the upstream channels, it can only be reassembled at the bit density rate of the slowest channel.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:39.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.