Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   BT launches new TV Box. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710076)

OLD BOY 28-06-2021 09:53

Re: BT launches new TV Box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36084594)
Haha.

Richard with the question I’ve been asking for two years now.

That’s because you have not understood my argument. My point has always been that when broadcasters switch to IPTV they will no longer present their content by way of scheduled channels. The programmes will be displayed individually and you click on them to open. Content will be by category, not by channel.

Sitting on the sofa waiting for your programme to start will be a thing of the past. Linear displays such as you can get currently on Now TV, BBC I-Player and Pluto will prove to be a minority interest and will not last long, I would have thought.

Chris 28-06-2021 10:49

1 Attachment(s)
Once again, OB doing his very best impersonation of a 1970s futurologist.

Hugh 28-06-2021 13:24

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...8&d=1624883060

OLD BOY 28-06-2021 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36084627)
Once again, OB doing his very best impersonation of a 1970s futurologist.

I’m not sure why on this forum nobody wants to talk sensibly about the future of TV. I think the possibilities are fascinating, but after years of trying to get a sensible debate, I’m taking a backseat on this one now as far as CF is concerned.

By the way, the Maid Without Tears in your picture sounds interesting. They need to tart her up a bit, though, she doesn’t look like my type at all! :D

jfman 28-06-2021 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084634)
I’m not sure why on this forum nobody wants to talk sensibly about the future of TV. I think the possibilities are fascinating, but after years of trying to get a sensible debate, I’m taking a backseat on this one now as far as CF is concerned.

By the way, the Maid Without Tears in your picture sounds interesting. They need to tart her up a bit, though, she doesn’t look like my type at all! :D

I’m not sure how you define “sensible” when it appears anyone who disagrees with your, ultimately speculative, vision is wrong.

Hugh 28-06-2021 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36084634)

But you are saying there aren't any possibilities, only one outcome... :)

OLD BOY 26-08-2022 14:54

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2022...s-aerial-free/

New and existing BT TV Box Pro customers in the UK can now access TV shows, browse channels and apps all in one place, without the need for an aerial.

jfman 26-08-2022 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36132500)
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2022...s-aerial-free/

New and existing BT TV Box Pro customers in the UK can now access TV shows, browse channels and apps all in one place, without the need for an aerial.

Same goes for a TV 360, or a Sky Q.

ozsat 28-08-2022 09:06

The difference here is that with the same box the user decides if they want to receive the main channels via aerial and stream.

When the box is setup (or reset), if it finds no aerial commected you can choose you have the main channels streamed to the box.

But the same batch of channels missing on the VM and Sky streamed services are missing on BT's version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132505)
Same goes for a TV 360, or a Sky Q.

jfman 28-08-2022 09:16

I know what the box does. I’m merely pointing out that television “without the need for an aerial” isn’t new.

ozsat 28-08-2022 09:59

Not new - but still limited to the major channels.

Still a lot of channels not available via IPTV - especially for those who watch classic tv.

Whst is really needed is a box which will fall back to the best available source for each channel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36132651)
I know what the box does. I’m merely pointing out that television “without the need for an aerial” isn’t new.

ozsat 29-08-2022 16:24

So BT have launched a mini Box Pro which only works in IP mode. But your main Box Pro is allowed to be in aerial mode giving the best of both worlds.

RichardCoulter 29-08-2022 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36132753)
So BT have launched a mini Box Pro which only works in IP mode. But your main Box Pro is allowed to be in aerial mode giving the best of both worlds.

Do you know if you can have an EPG made up of both sources? It would be easier if one didn't have to switch between the two and may be able to help with recording clashes.

ozsat 30-08-2022 19:59

It is aerial or IPtv - and IPtv has a maximum of two recordings at once.

It is not a simply change from one to the other - you have to go through a factory reset (but can keep recordings).

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36132782)
Do you know if you can have an EPG made up of both sources? It would be easier if one didn't have to switch between the two and may be able to help with recording clashes.

RichardCoulter 31-08-2022 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36132823)
It is aerial or IPtv - and IPtv has a maximum of two recordings at once.

It is not a simply change from one to the other - you have to go through a factory reset (but can keep recordings).

Thanks.