Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Charge your cars on VMs Network (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707339)

Pierre 28-01-2019 10:46

Charge your cars on VMs Network

I kid you not.

(Paywall)

https://www.ft.com/content/7f98ab48-...6-46fc3ad87c65

nomadking 28-01-2019 14:08

Re: Charge your cars on VMs Network

Non-paywall link
Quote:

Liberty Global will test how its Virgin Media street cabinets, fibre and subterranean duct network could be used to embed charging points in residential streets. The cabinets are already powered and could be used to roll out thousands of charging points across the country. Deutsche Telekom has already tapped into its street furniture in Germany after announcing plans last year to convert 12,000 cabinets into charging stations.

heero_yuy 28-01-2019 18:10

Probably only trickle charge at peak times. :D

Paul 28-01-2019 20:41

Do cabinets really have the kind of high capacity power supply to them that would allow this, and still power the cabinet ? Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Pierre 28-01-2019 21:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35981079)
Do cabinets really have the kind of high capacity power supply to them that would allow this, and still power the cabinet ? Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Unlikely to you, but they do and it works and has been proven to do so.

The question, and only question, is if it’s commercially viable.

nodrogd 01-02-2019 11:37

In our area the powered cabinets are every 500 metres or so, & run a load of slave cabinets with no mains.

This will also make any powered cabinet a magnet for car parking. Thankfully our street cab is not mains powered, as it is right adjacent to our driveway.

Conversion of streetlighting columns to charge points is a far better option.

It is also to be seen what the health & safety brigade will make of cables trailling across footpaths & sidewalks to get to these charge points.

BenMcr 01-02-2019 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35981588)
This will also make any powered cabinet a magnet for car parking. Thankfully our street cab is not mains powered, as it is right adjacent to our driveway.

I suppose it depends how it's done. It could be that it's simpler to use the cabinet supply as the source and spread out the charging points along the road via the cable ducts.

Doing that is cheaper that running whole new supplies by digging down to the electrical cables and starting from there.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35981588)
Conversion of streetlighting columns to charge points is a far better option.

I wonder if the move to LED lighting would be an issue there as the supplies to the poles may be lower rated than is needed for cars.

spiderplant 01-02-2019 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35981591)
I suppose it depends how it's done. It could be that it's simpler to use the cabinet supply as the source and spread out the charging points along the road via the cable ducts.

I think this must be what is being proposed. You couldn't actually connect the car directly to the cabinet, because it would mean either trailing cables across the pavement or parking on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35981591)
I wonder if the move to LED lighting would be an issue there as the supplies to the poles may be lower rated than is needed for cars.

On the other hand, it could mean there is more spare capacity.

heero_yuy 01-02-2019 13:58

I've seen the guage of cabling to lamp posts when ours were being upgraded. It's pretty low current being about the diameter of a Biro. Of course it can be upsized if needed but that also means digging up the paths.

Hom3r 02-02-2019 21:17

Charging is 100% usless in my street, we don't have guaranteed parking, we only two street lights.

Stuart 04-02-2019 11:55

It is potentially a good use for their existing infrastructure, and potentially a good source of income (even if it's free initially, I shouldn't think for a second it's going to stay free).

That said, while battery technology is better than it was a few years ago, I think people will have to change their attitude toward powering the car.

With a fossil fuel car, you can go into the fuel station with almost no fuel, and have a full tank in a few minutes. That's not feasible with current battery technology, and I don't think it's going to be feasible for a long time. Electric cars apparently work best if you fully charge them over night, then use chargers outside the house to top up the charge, if necessary.

Even Tesla seem to have given up the fight to give electric cars a full charge quickly, and seem to have switched tactics so they are putting superchargers in places where there are things to do, so people won't mind hanging round for hours while the car charges, rather than building service stations all over the country where they swap your empty battery for a fully charged one.

Reading this post again, it appears I am quite anti electric cars. I am not. One of my neighbours has a Tesla Model S, and I think it's an amazing car. I would buy one tomorrow if I could afford it, and I could drive. And yes, my neighbour does charge it overnight, ready for work in the morning, then top up the charge if and when needed.

RichardCoulter 04-02-2019 16:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35981962)
It is potentially a good use for their existing infrastructure, and potentially a good source of income (even if it's free initially, I shouldn't think for a second it's going to stay free).

That said, while battery technology is better than it was a few years ago, I think people will have to change their attitude toward powering the car.

With a fossil fuel car, you can go into the fuel station with almost no fuel, and have a full tank in a few minutes. That's not feasible with current battery technology, and I don't think it's going to be feasible for a long time. Electric cars apparently work best if you fully charge them over night, then use chargers outside the house to top up the charge, if necessary.

Even Tesla seem to have given up the fight to give electric cars a full charge quickly, and seem to have switched tactics so they are putting superchargers in places where there are things to do, so people won't mind hanging round for hours while the car charges, rather than building service stations all over the country where they swap your empty battery for a fully charged one.

Reading this post again, it appears I am quite anti electric cars. I am not. One of my neighbours has a Tesla Model S, and I think it's an amazing car. I would buy one tomorrow if I could afford it, and I could drive. And yes, my neighbour does charge it overnight, ready for work in the morning, then top up the charge if and when needed.

I suspect that most people will do as they do with their mobile phones and leave their electric car to charge overnight.

I intend to get one when they become self driving (no idea when this will happen though) as i'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons.

RobboEdin 04-02-2019 16:19

Big assumption there. I would suggest, at least, initially, if not for ever, you will need a valid driver’s licence to ‘drive’ a driverless car. Presumably you would need to be able to drive the car manually should the need arise, for whatever reason.

RichardCoulter 04-02-2019 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35982005)
Big assumption there. I would suggest, at least, initially, if not for ever, you will need a valid driver’s licence to ‘drive’ a driverless car. Presumably you would need to be able to drive the car manually should the need arise, for whatever reason.

That's a good point actually. I've also heard some people say that driverless cars would enable them to safely drink and 'drive', but this may not be allowed for the same reasons that you outlined above.

Kushan 04-02-2019 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35982002)
I suspect that most people will do as they do with their mobile phones and leave their electric car to charge overnight.

I intend to get one when they become self driving (no idea when this will happen though) as i'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons.

Hey, me too!

I think fully-autonomous self-driving cars are a ways off but as pointed out, there's a lot of legal gubbins to sort out with regards to safety and whether or not a qualified legal "driver" needs to be present. They are designing cars without steering wheels so it's definitely on someone's radar, but it remains to be seen how regulation turns out.

All that being said, I suspect self-driving cars will be more like subscription taxi services than a vehicle you just buy outright.