Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

muppetman11 15-11-2013 10:06

Netflix/Streaming Services

A thread to discuss all things relating to Netflix such as news , what your currently watching etc.

What do people think of the new Netflix UI ? Its currently only available on PS3 , Roku 3 , XBOX with more devices to be added.

I think its a vast improvement on the previous UI , search is better also.

http://ukirelandblog.netflix.com/201...eover.html?m=1

harry_hitch 15-11-2013 10:11

re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I am enjoying it. I have not searched through anything on the TIVO, I am using the mobile app for that. The mobile app is excellent though.

No complaints so far.

Oh, currently re-living my childhood and enjoying The Muppet Christmas Carol!

muppetman11 15-11-2013 10:25

Marvel TV shows to debut on Netflix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24864631

Just finished watching House of Cards (Kevin Spacey) and Lillyhammer.

andy_m 15-11-2013 10:32

Currently watching Sons of Anarchy. Don't know why but it passed me by originally. Really enjoying it. Also now on to season 3 of Breaking Bad.

Londonbornpaddy 15-11-2013 12:24

I have been a fan of Netflix for almost a year and it has got better and better. I used to have the Sky Movies package but it was such a waste of money and really after a month it was a waste of time as no good movies were on and the amount of repeats drove me mad. Netflix now has so many films and series that i actually have things backed up on "My list" when i find them. Also of course you can watch it on laptop or tablet or phone so long as you have a decent connection. Nothing but good things to say about it.

passingbat 15-11-2013 12:55

A great TV show that gets critical acclaim, but seems to be missed by many people (probably because it's shown on 5USA in the UK) is 'Justified'. Netflix have 3 seasons.

mike_gain 15-11-2013 13:10

I use streaming services mainly for the kids and they are loving Inspector Gadget, having never seen it before. Netflix even had the pilot episode where he had a mustache!

There's also a host of other content that the wife and I will be interested in and I like the integration with the TiVo box and the app seems reliable so good chance we will sign up once the free trial runs out (can't get the 6 months from Virgin as I'd have to loose out on my loyalty discount).

nialli 15-11-2013 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35645510)
A great TV show that gets critical acclaim, but seems to be missed by many people (probably because it's shown on 5USA in the UK) is 'Justified'. Netflix have 3 seasons.

I'll echo that - Justified, especially from the later episodes of season one, is outstanding.
I know everyone already knows about it but Breaking Bad really is as good as everyone says, getting bolder, braver and even more brilliant as it runs through the five seasons.
I'd also recommend Battlestar Galactica (especially for VM customers who missed it during the great Sky1 debacle a few years back); Firefly; House of Cards (both US and UK versions); The Killing (both versions); Orange is the new Black; and I've ever noticed that HBO/BBC drama Rome is on Netflix (the only HBO stuff I've seen though).
The UK content is fab too: Life on Mars, Cracker, Prime Suspect, Downton Abbey, Silk, Green Wing, The Thick of It, The IT Crowd...

mike_gain 15-11-2013 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35645512)
I'll echo that - Justified, especially from the later episodes of season one, is outstanding.
I know everyone already knows about it but Breaking Bad really is as good as everyone says, getting bolder, braver and even more brilliant as it runs through the five seasons.
I'd also recommend Battlestar Galactica (especially for VM customers who missed it during the great Sky1 debacle a few years back); Firefly; House of Cards (both US and UK versions); The Killing (both versions); Orange is the new Black; and I've ever noticed that HBO/BBC drama Rome is on Netflix (the only HBO stuff I've seen though).
The UK content is fab too: Life on Mars, Cracker, Prime Suspect, Downton Abbey, Silk, Green Wing, The Thick of It, The IT Crowd...

The benefit of these series is that they didn't get canned after one series so you can genuinely get into each series without the fear it's going to be dropped. That's the advantage of coming into a series late. I can see us using Netflix quite a lot in the quit summer months when our back log of Autumn/Winter recordings has dried up and noting new is on. Life on Mars is always worth a repeat viewing.

HDFootyMan 15-11-2013 17:11

Breaking Bad.

Nuff said.

zantarous 15-11-2013 17:14

If you haven't already seen it check out The League even if you are not into American football it is one heck of a funny show.

plaiter 15-11-2013 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35645514)
Life on Mars is always worth a repeat viewing.

I agree with you. I am loving Netflix just started watching Life on Mars again and resisting the temptation to download some David Bowie songs to Spotify :)

I especially like the way you can watch on multiple devices and continue watching a show from one device to another.

The picture quality of Netflix on Tivo is great too.

Does anyone know of any good blogs to see the upcoming Netflix content ?

muppetman11 15-11-2013 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaiter (Post 35645634)
I agree with you. I am loving Netflix just started watching Life on Mars again and resisting the temptation to download some David Bowie songs to Spotify :)

I especially like the way you can watch on multiple devices and continue watching a show from one device to another.

The picture quality of Netflix on Tivo is great too.

I've just compared the same movie across LF , Netflix and Now TV on a PS3 and the difference was unbelievable , Netflix easily produced the best PQ by a country mile , I would say Now TV shaded it in second over LF.

passingbat 15-11-2013 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by plaiter (Post 35645634)

http://uk.istreamguide.com/

theone2k10 15-11-2013 22:27

For movie premiers o Netflix uk http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...vm-page-3.html

ocav 15-11-2013 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35645636)
I've just compared the same movie across LF , Netflix and Now TV on a PS3 and the difference was unbelievable , Netflix easily produced the best PQ by a country mile , I would say Now TV shaded it in second over LF.

What film is available on all 3 streaming services?

muppetman11 16-11-2013 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocav (Post 35645679)
What film is available on all 3 streaming services?

Cars 2

'The Killing' Revived By Netflix -- Again!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4284766.html

HDFootyMan 16-11-2013 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35645738)
Cars 2

'The Killing' Revived By Netflix -- Again!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4284766.html

Excellent. That show just can't be killed (good thing too after the way Season 3 ended).

Mikey1981 16-11-2013 16:00

I've had Netflix since it's inception here so I can vouch for it's steady improvement, I love it's always sunny in Philadelphia, such a crazy show.

howardmicks 16-11-2013 17:07

Try this chaps www.netflixable.com/ if u subscribe to newsletter they email you every week what new on Netflix uk and other countries for us that use us and Canadian netflix

passingbat 16-11-2013 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35645904)
Try this chaps www.netflixable.com/ if u subscribe to newsletter they email you every week what new on Netflix uk and other countries for us that use us and Canadian netflix

It seems to be run by the same person (people?) who run these sites

http://netflixusacompletelist.blogspot.co.uk/

http://netflixukcompletelist.blogspot.co.uk/

He does seem to have various pages showing the same thing.

howardmicks 16-11-2013 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35645907)
It seems to be run by the same person (people?) who run these sites

http://netflixusacompletelist.blogspot.co.uk/

http://netflixukcompletelist.blogspot.co.uk/

He does seem to have various pages showing the same thing.

Seems so bud but the one I put the link to seems to be the best to me ;)

TonyM19 17-11-2013 20:24

Warning: This may be a really stupid question.

I want to give Netflix a try, but don't fancy the 6 month free trial if it means signing up to Premiere or VIP. Can I just sign up for a free months trial? Do Netflix just email a PIN to use the Netflix app on my Tivo?

paultrademark 17-11-2013 20:29

Just sign up for a free months trial on the website and then once registered, use your login details to sign in on TiVo.

TonyM19 17-11-2013 20:32

Cheers

Stuart 17-11-2013 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35646234)
Just sign up for a free months trial on the website and then once registered, use your login details to sign in on TiVo.

You need to be careful and make sure you cancel it if you decide you don't like it. Netflix will assume you want to carry on and deduct a payment.

paultrademark 17-11-2013 22:45

Yeah good point :-)

harry_hitch 17-11-2013 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyM19 (Post 35646232)
Warning: This may be a really stupid question.

I want to give Netflix a try, but don't fancy the 6 month free trial if it means signing up to Premiere or VIP. Can I just sign up for a free months trial? Do Netflix just email a PIN to use the Netflix app on my Tivo?

The pin number for the TIVO Netflix app is your TIVO PIN number, Netflix won't send you one:-)

You can also turn the pin number request off in the "help and settings" menu.

the_pidgeon 18-11-2013 00:44

Always sunny in Philadelphia has me creased up in a cuddly ball every time I watch an episode.

ash88uk 18-11-2013 03:16

This is a good thing as Sky won't offer this because they want people to subscribe to there movie channels.

smallclone 18-11-2013 10:26

I find the Netflix content limited. It's good if you just want to browse their catalogue and pick something, but if you're looking for a specific film, chances are they won't have it. I just looked for 15 random movies on the current Netlfix UK content - and only 1 of them was available.

heavyside 18-11-2013 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35646371)
I find the Netflix content limited. It's good if you just want to browse their catalogue and pick something, but if you're looking for a specific film, chances are they won't have it. I just looked for 15 random movies on the current Netlfix UK content - and only 1 of them was available.

I have to agree. I have an add on to my browser called Media Hint that allows me to view and play US content on my PC. The US Netflix catalogue is impressive but view the UK content available on TiVo and it can be seen as very much the poor relation. I tried a similar random programme experiment and found seven out of ten of my choices on US Netflix and only one out of ten on UK Netflix. I'm not sure I'll keep Netflix after my free six months has expired unless its content has improved a lot.

PS - I still haven't received my promised code from Virgin for the free six months.

smallclone 18-11-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 35646419)
I have to agree. I have an add on to my browser called Media Hint that allows me to view and play US content on my PC. The US Netflix catalogue is impressive but view the UK content available on TiVo and it can be seen as very much the poor relation. I tried a similar random programme experiment and found seven out of ten of my choices on US Netflix and only one out of ten on UK Netflix. I'm not sure I'll keep Netflix after my free six months has expired unless its content has improved a lot.

PS - I still haven't received my promised code from Virgin for the free six months.

I think there may be value in it if you go down the VPN route (I'm not expanding on that as it's probably against forum rules), but it just doesn't seem value for money for a monthly sub fee if you're going to only use the UK content. It hasn't even got Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather 2, Unforgiven, The Shining etc etc

passingbat 18-11-2013 13:03

Just come across this on another forum. If you are browsing the Netflix collection in Google Chrome, it adds ratings from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, with direct links to the film on those sites, to the info panel that you get when you mouse over a title.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...dfehfjgcapepbm

Just tried it; seems to work well and is useful for me.

---------- Post added at 13:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35646436)
I think there may be value in it if you go down the VPN route (I'm not expanding on that as it's probably against forum rules), but it just doesn't seem value for money for a monthly sub fee if you're going to only use the UK content. It hasn't even got Scarface, Goodfellas, Godfather 2, Unforgiven, The Shining etc etc

Just because it doesn't include your favourite films doesn't make it bad ;)

The UK content has increased a lot since Netflix first launched and is good value for the price. However, paying an extra £3 ish a month to use a smart DNS so that all Netflix regions can be accessed, enhances it's value massively, making it a real bargain.

smallclone 18-11-2013 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35646440)
Just because it doesn't include your favourite films doesn't make it bad ;)

Sure, it's clearly a success as millions love it. I

Quote:

The UK content has increased a lot since Netflix first launched and is good value for the price. However, paying an extra £3 ish a month to use a smart DNS so that all Netflix regions can be accessed, enhances it's value massively, making it a real bargain.
Indeed.

OLD BOY 18-11-2013 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35646371)

You could say the same about Sky Movies, and look what we're paying for that :shocked:

denphone 18-11-2013 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35646501)
You could say the same about Sky Movies, and look what we're paying for that :shocked:

Personally l think there is enough on Netflix as it is to keep me interested for a fair fair while yet.

Chad 18-11-2013 17:26

Netflix is still in it's infancy in the UK. I think the content overall is pretty good. It's better to have access to it through TiVo than not to have it on TiVo surely?

muppetman11 18-11-2013 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35646530)
Netflix is still in it's infancy in the UK. I think the content overall is pretty good. It's better to have access to it through TiVo than not to have it on TiVo surely?

That depends my parents TIVO box last night struggled to sustain 720 HD and kept dropping to 480 HD , we changed over to another device using their VM 60MB connection and it streamed perfect at the best quality , work that one out. The TIVO modem is meant to be 10mb so should stream 1080 Super HD no probs , I have no issues doing this on a 8-9mb ADSL line.

passingbat 18-11-2013 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35646534)
That depends my parents TIVO box last night struggled to sustain 720 HD and kept dropping to 480 HD , we changed over to another device using their VM 60MB connection and it streamed perfect at the best quality , work that one out. The TIVO modem is meant to be 10mb so should stream 1080 Super HD no probs , I have no issues doing this on a 8-9mb ADSL line.

It's possible because Netflix is brand new on Tivo, a lot of people were trying it out and it was putting a strain on the Netflix servers serving Tivo.

Apparently, different devices connect to different parts of the Netflix network (or use different streams), so it's possible the alternative device you used didn't have such a demand on it.

I'm not saying the above was the case, but it's a possibility.

Stokie_Craig 18-11-2013 17:47

Has anyone recieved the code for netflix yet?

zantarous 18-11-2013 17:50

I found some free DNS addresses so I could try the US one to see what it was like, so now have my 360 set to watch the US one and Tivo for UK.

While the content on the UK one is a little lacking compared to the US I do like the fact that any of Netflix own content is global and having previously dismissed it before I think it is easily worth £5.99 a month especially as it device agnostic and travels with you wherever you go. I spend most nights round my other halfs place and she doesn't even have a TV and always feel as though I am paying my cable bill for nothing. We are both getting a lot of use out of my Netflix account.

denphone 19-11-2013 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stokie_Craig (Post 35646538)
Has anyone recieved the code for netflix yet?

No nothing currently.

smallclone 19-11-2013 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35646501)

I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would pay for Sky Movies.

naeskydish 19-11-2013 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35646718)

I've got a great choice now by keeping Lovefilm and having netflix, cheaper than Skymovies and a great choice of content. I have haven't decided which one I prefer. The revamp on Lovefilm for streaming has been good, but having netflix played directly from my Tivo to me provides slightly better quality.

ocav 19-11-2013 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallclone (Post 35646718)

Erm... those who watch Movies often and like the content available. Over the last month I have been able to watch Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, and Argo.

These are not available on any other streaming services and would cost me more than the Sky Movies subscription to buy on BluRay.

OLD BOY 19-11-2013 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocav (Post 35646729)
Erm... those who watch Movies often and like the content available. Over the last month I have been able to watch Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, Les Miserables, and Argo.

These are not available on any other streaming services and would cost me more than the Sky Movies subscription to buy on BluRay.

I agree with you that the content on Sky Movies is good, but I do think they are over-charging. It will be interesting to see what the Netflix subscriptions look like when the contracts between Sky and the films studios come up for renewal.

Assuming, of course, that Netflix win some of those exclusivity deals as they say they will.

mike_gain 19-11-2013 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by naeskydish (Post 35646724)
I've got a great choice now by keeping Lovefilm and having netflix, cheaper than Skymovies and a great choice of content. I have haven't decided which one I prefer. The revamp on Lovefilm for streaming has been good, but having netflix played directly from my Tivo to me provides slightly better quality.

I am in the same boat. Decided to phone up and cancel LoveFilm but they game me free access till the end of February so I'll give them till then to get an app on TiVO, if they don't I'll probably cancel.

smallclone 19-11-2013 13:24

Quote:

Well if it works for you that's good.

denphone 19-11-2013 14:26

Quote:

Indeed its all about choice and what preference people have at the end of the day.

theone2k10 19-11-2013 15:32

Quote:

Life of PI is on Netflix Canada but i do agree with you Sky Movies is good value for people who enjoy movies. I watch quite a few movies on Sky movies mostly MGMHD that aren't available anywhere else even if using a smart dns.

denphone 19-11-2013 15:51

l have just received my 6 months Netflix voucher code.:hyper:

heavyside 19-11-2013 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35646825)

In the last five minutes I've received mine too.

MutleyF 19-11-2013 15:56

Yup - mine has arrived

theone2k10 19-11-2013 16:40

Didn't none of you get the 12 month Netflix code for being a Tivo subscriber? I did.

Just winding you up hehe i did get a 12 month code but it was a gift card from my cousin lol.

marko 20-11-2013 16:33

Enjoying the netflix experience, which is pretty impressive so far. But can anyone please explain how you access the search function once inside the app? Scrolling between the various categories is fine, but the search field is quite hard to track down without closing everything and going back in from the beginning. Thanks.

ocav 20-11-2013 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35646825)

Had to phone up and they gave me the code over the phone!

v0id 20-11-2013 19:08

Bloomin useless, to say the TiVo is supposed to have its own dedicated 10Mbps line it's slower than some of the Active Digital apps from the old Telewest days.
I didn't even get to the login screen before I got fed up of waiting and booted up the Xbox for Netflix.

Dukefever 20-11-2013 19:30

How do you get a code and what are the terms?

denphone 20-11-2013 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dukefever (Post 35647295)
How do you get a code and what are the terms?

You have to phone up and re-contract for 12 months and they then email you the code within 5 working days to customers.

jobbie8 20-11-2013 21:34

I couldn't watch the winner of Virgin Shorts, stuttering every second, I guess everyones watching Netflix via TiVo causing a lot of traffic on network?

johnathome 20-11-2013 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 35647371)
I couldn't watch the winner of Virgin Shorts, stuttering every second, I guess everyones watching Netflix via TiVo causing a lot of traffic on network?

I'm going to start my free month in December and then pay for it, if i get stuttering issues i'll be straight on the phone.

How can they offer the speed upgrades if you have problems like this or is it just oversaturation in your area?

nashmills 20-11-2013 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35647272)
Bloomin useless, to say the TiVo is supposed to have its own dedicated 10Mbps line it's slower than some of the Active Digital apps from the old Telewest days.
I didn't even get to the login screen before I got fed up of waiting and booted up the Xbox for Netflix.

I couldn't get Netflix on TiVo to work this evening so went back to my trusty Apple TV. Kept saying there was an error and directed me to netflix.com/help only to find instructions for every device except TiVo. Not impressed.

nashmills 23-11-2013 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashmills (Post 35647401)
I couldn't get Netflix on TiVo to work this evening so went back to my trusty Apple TV. Kept saying there was an error and directed me to netflix.com/help only to find instructions for every device except TiVo. Not impressed.

I had the problem again this afternoon although it has worked fine for the last couple of days. Didn't get the useless suggestion to go to the help page this time. Again no problem with the Apple TV. It's a shame as I had hoped to remove the ATV when we got Neflix on the TiVo.

MaverickJesus 24-11-2013 08:12

I just use my PS3 Netflix, its easier to navigate and works all of the time, instead of randomly.

denphone 24-11-2013 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35648693)
I just use my PS3 Netflix, its easier to navigate and works all of the time, instead of randomly.

l have used Netflix on the TiVo every day and it is simply purring along without any problems at all.

johnasimmons 24-11-2013 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35648696)
l have used Netflix on the TiVo every day and it is simply purring along without any problems at all.

Likewise on my 2 Tivos :)

Sirius 24-11-2013 09:35

Quote:

Same here, excellent add-on to the Tivo

LondonRoad 24-11-2013 11:41

I'm new to netflix but have been impressed with quality so far.

One thing I can't fathom is how to use the profiles on the Tivo. I set up a couple of under 12 profiles on the PC but there doesn't seem to be a way to get profiles on the Tivo?...... unless one of you netflix/Tivo experts can tell me differently? ;)

MaverickJesus 24-11-2013 11:51

Quote:

Its well documented how physically and mentally incapable you are of anything other than gushing praise for VM, so that doesn't really surprise me.

passingbat 24-11-2013 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35648736)
I'm new to netflix but have been impressed with quality so far.

One thing I can't fathom is how to use the profiles on the Tivo. I set up a couple of under 12 profiles on the PC but there doesn't seem to be a way to get profiles on the Tivo?...... unless one of you netflix/Tivo experts can tell me differently? ;)

Profiles are currently not on the Tivo Netflix. I believe they plan to add them. I think I read that the version with profiles caused problems, so they had to go back to the non profile version at this point in time.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35648738)
Its well documented how physically and mentally incapable you are of anything other than gushing praise for VM, so that doesn't really surprise me.

Or... the simple fact is, that Den's Netflix experience with Tivo is completely problem free. Why do you doubt that?

joglynne 24-11-2013 12:21

Has anyone yet added the free 6 months to the original 1 month trial?

denphone 24-11-2013 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaverickJesus (Post 35648738)

Some of us are physically incapable because of certain medical conditions we have but that's alright Sir as l have broad shoulders and secondly l often criticise and praise Virgin and Sky in equal abundance and l also say what l think as l am not one to sit on the fence from the sidelines who hides behind their petticoats.:)

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35648747)

Yes l have jo and as far as l know the free six months starts after the one month free trial unless Ben can tell us otherwise.

joglynne 24-11-2013 12:36

Just being a tad of a timerous beastie.

I decided to sort out the Netflix this morning and realised that the 1 month trial will, as a result, expire on Christmas Eve. Over the years we seem to have a jinx on Christmas Eve. TVs have thrown a throw a wobbler ... TV exploded one year with various other coincidences including our Ariel being blown off the chimney .. I blame Santa for that one, bad parking on our roof, to loosing all our VM services a couple of years ago.

I just don't want to temp fate by providing an obvious target for the Jinx to go after. :D

frattonstation 24-11-2013 22:24

So if I have the VIP package can i just ask them to cancel Sky Movies and get Netflix instead??? Is it cheaper?

RobboEdin 25-11-2013 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by frattonstation (Post 35648982)
So if I have the VIP package can i just ask them to cancel Sky Movies and get Netflix instead??? Is it cheaper?

No No No

VIP Collection includes Sky Sports and Movies as a mandatory element.

You could consider the Premiere Collection with added Sky Sports Collection perhaps?

frattonstation 25-11-2013 09:55

ok thanks.
Just signed up for Netflix 6 month trial. The VM person on the phone has said I just follow the on screen instructions. Go to Games & Apps / All Apps / Netflix etc
But that just says one month trial?? Is this correct??? I thought it was 6 months?
Easily confused VM customer!

nialli 25-11-2013 09:57

Quote:

I dont' know what you currently pay or what discounts you qualify for, but I would think that the £5.99 a month for Netflix is a cheaper option than Sky Movies if you want to downgrade from the full VIP package.

frattonstation 25-11-2013 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35649064)
I dont' know what you currently pay or what discounts you qualify for, but I would think that the £5.99 a month for Netflix is a cheaper option than Sky Movies if you want to downgrade from the full VIP package.

Thanks Niall for your reply I am on VIP and been told Sky Movies is mandatory for that anyway.

RobboEdin 25-11-2013 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by frattonstation (Post 35649063)
ok thanks.
Just signed up for Netflix 6 month trial. The VM person on the phone has said I just follow the on screen instructions. Go to Games & Apps / All Apps / Netflix etc
But that just says one month trial?? Is this correct??? I thought it was 6 months?
Easily confused VM customer!

To let you understand the process.

As a VIP customer, you are eligible for an additional six month 'free' Netflix, on top of the one month free trial offered to anybody by Netflix.

If you are not an existing Netflix customer, you sign up for the free one month trial and you are then a Netflix customer.

You can sign up anywhere, including on your TiVo. You will then have a Netflix userid and password which you can use anywhere, including on TiVo.

Your 6 months free comes as a code sent to you by Virgin Media to an email userid which you should have discussed with the Virgin Media agent when you signed up for the free six month offer. You then use this code on the Netflix website and it credits you with an amount of money equivalent to 6 months at £5.99 so that when your months free trial ends, Netflix starts charging you for their service but it is paid from your credit. After the credit has gone, Netflix will then take real money from the account you supplied when you became their customer. You can, of course, cancel your account with Netflix at any time.

To receive Netflix, you are a Netflix customer.

Hope this helps.

muppetman11 25-11-2013 12:04

Lillyhammer Season 2 to air on Netflix on the 13th December 13 with Netflix and NRK renewing for a third season.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/11/netf...december-13th/

OLD BOY 25-11-2013 12:15

Quote:

The VIP package includes Sky Movies, so unless you change your package, the answer is no, you can't.

RobboEdin 25-11-2013 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35649108)
The VIP package includes Sky Movies, so unless you change your package, the answer is no, you can't.

...and you would have to go to the Premiere Collection and a new 12 month contract to be eligible for the six month free Netflix offer.

frattonstation 25-11-2013 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35649066)
To let you understand the process.

As a VIP customer, you are eligible for an additional six month 'free' Netflix, on top of the one month free trial offered to anybody by Netflix.

If you are not an existing Netflix customer, you sign up for the free one month trial and you are then a Netflix customer.

You can sign up anywhere, including on your TiVo. You will then have a Netflix userid and password which you can use anywhere, including on TiVo.

Your 6 months free comes as a code sent to you by Virgin Media to an email userid which you should have discussed with the Virgin Media agent when you signed up for the free six month offer. You then use this code on the Netflix website and it credits you with an amount of money equivalent to 6 months at £5.99 so that when your months free trial ends, Netflix starts charging you for their service but it is paid from your credit. After the credit has gone, Netflix will then take real money from the account you supplied when you became their customer. You can, of course, cancel your account with Netflix at any time.

To receive Netflix, you are a Netflix customer.

Hope this helps.

Thats brilliant Many Thanks for your time

heavyside 25-11-2013 14:30

After a generally good experience of Netflix I had to watch a film that was labelled Super HD all the way through in 288 SD on Sunday evening. I'm assuming this was because of the demand on Netflix at the time. It was a disappointing experience.

andy_m 25-11-2013 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35649104)
Lillyhammer Season 2 to air on Netflix on the 13th December 13 with Netflix and NRK renewing for a third season.

Thanks for the heads up-I really enjoyed season 1, but I'm getting rolling eyes from the wife so I guess I'll have to watch season 2 in my own time!

muppetman11 25-11-2013 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35649280)
Thanks for the heads up-I really enjoyed season 1, but I'm getting rolling eyes from the wife so I guess I'll have to watch season 2 in my own time!

Ha ha not sure my wife would enjoy it , I watched it on my own but really enjoyed it and I'm glad to see its back for another season.

alwaysabear 25-11-2013 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35649104)

Thanks for that M8, I loved the first series of Lillyhammer.:)

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35649283)
Ha ha not sure my wife would enjoy it , I watched it on my own but really enjoyed it and I'm glad to see its back for another season.

My wife enjoyed it as well. happy days.

andy_m 25-11-2013 21:15

Is the reason we don't always get super hd because of pressure on the network as people are suggestiNg?

I haven't actually had a problem yet, but tonight I'm watching Breaking Bad in 720hd. No real complaints, it's still a very good picture, but not the best.

harry_hitch 25-11-2013 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35649298)
Is the reason we don't always get super hd because of pressure on the network as people are suggestiNg?

I haven't actually had a problem yet, but tonight I'm watching Breaking Bad in 720hd. No real complaints, it's still a very good picture, but not the best.

I am sure I have read on one of these threads that this is the reason for the different PQ. I have only had one problem where one episode of house of cards should have been superHD but was only SD.

muppetman11 26-11-2013 10:16

Netflix is to stream its first original documentary, The Short Game, on 12 December.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/netf...er_M12469.html

greeninferno 26-11-2013 11:52

how does netflix work?

can you select the quality you want and let it buffer?

someone further up says the quality was 280 SD??

karma mechanic 26-11-2013 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35649433)
how does netflix work?

can you select the quality you want and let it buffer?

someone further up says the quality was 280 SD??

It starts off with low bandwidth and then rapidly* goes up to 1080p as it discovers what rate is effective on your connection.

* if the connection is slow for some reason it does the best it can, it may change from time to time.

harry_hitch 26-11-2013 20:15

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35648747)

If you (or anyone else) are still interested, I have just activated my 6 month code whilst in my one free month trial. The code was accepted and I had a message telling me that I had 6 months 100% free and that £35.94 was credited to my account.

I started my account/free trial on the 15th of Nov and my account says my next billing date will be 16th December and will cost £5.99.

I can not find any mention of the £35.94 credit wen I check my Billing Details, but there is a highlighted sentence telling me "! You are currently in a special programme and will not be charged" (My account is not showing any payment info either i.e. I currently have no credit/debit card to pay with my next bill with.)

So, whilst I have nothing clearly stating I have £35.94 credit, it would appear you do get to keep the free month trial as well as having the extra 6 month trial.

I will try to add a picture or two

joglynne 26-11-2013 20:25

Thanks Harry. I have activated the months free trial but decided to leave activating the 6 month offer until the first offer is about to expire.

I have to say I am quite impressed with the content Netflix has on offer and so far the picture quality has been very good.

greyposter 27-11-2013 13:08

Where do I find this 6 months offer ?

martin201002 27-11-2013 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyposter (Post 35649761)
Where do I find this 6 months offer ?

http://store.virginmedia.com/digital...d/netflix.html

harry_hitch 27-11-2013 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35649642)
Thanks Harry. I have activated the months free trial but decided to leave activating the 6 month offer until the first offer is about to expire.

I have to say I am quite impressed with the content Netflix has on offer and so far the picture quality has been very good.

No worries. :) Yeah, I am not really one for watching massive amounts of TV content, but I have been impressed with House of Cards and also Lillehammer. I am going to give Hemlock Grove a go next as I love a bit of horror. Am not going to get my hopes up though, modern horror is (IMHO) pretty tame. :(

denphone 27-11-2013 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35649802)
No worries. :) Yeah, I am not really one for watching massive amounts of TV content, but I have been impressed with House of Cards and also Lillehammer. I am going to give Hemlock Grove a go next as I love a bit of horror. Am not going to get my hopes up though, modern horror is (IMHO) pretty tame. :(

Indeed as my idea of horror would be The Evil Dead.

MutleyF 27-11-2013 16:19

I prefer the old Christopher Lee style of Horror .... (ie tame!)