Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Election 2019 - Week 4 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708439)

Chris 27-11-2019 23:12

Election 2019 - Week 4

Here we go round the mulberry bush ...

Election chat continues right here in the shiny, new, yet darkly familiar, Election 2019 thread, week 4.

papa smurf 28-11-2019 09:01

Re: Election 2019 - Week 4

Meanwhile the lib dumbs are printing their own fake news papers.

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...son-newspapers

The party mocked up some publications which looked similar to local newspapers in each area they dropped them, but people branded them “misleading”.

Hugh 28-11-2019 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018548)

The party mocked up some publications which looked similar to local newspapers in each area they dropped them, but people branded them “misleading”.

That shouldn’t be allowed - misrepresenting / misleading is wrong, whoever does it.

TheDaddy 28-11-2019 09:41

Quote:

Wtf is going on, this nonsense follows on from the tories fake fact checking twitter account and the labour manifesto page they set up, how much more does politics have to be corrupted before we say that's enough and start holding them to account properly, it's like the work of some amateur third world junta

heero_yuy 28-11-2019 09:50

Quote:

Quote from The Sun:Boris Johnson is on course for a storming 68-seat majority, according to a detailed seat-by-seat survey that correctly forecast the election results in 2017.

The YouGov MRP poll for The Times - the only one to predict Theresa May would lose her majority - forecasts Mr Johnson will win 359 seats in a triumphant return to No 10, up 42 on the 2017 result.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour Party is poised for disaster and will win 211 seats, down 51 from two years ago, when the country goes to the polls on December 12, according to the Times opinion poll.
Original article in the Times on red link for those who have access.

Well we all know what we think about polls, but this was the one to correctly call the last election and is also over 100,000 sample so must have some credence even though, as admitted, there is a +/-5% margin of error.

Chris 28-11-2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36018554)
Wtf is going on, this nonsense follows on from the tories fake fact checking twitter account and the labour manifesto page they set up, how much more does politics have to be corrupted before we say that's enough and start holding them to account properly, it's like the work of some amateur third world junta

This is an absolutely standard Lib Dem tactic. They’ve been at it for years.

Mr K 28-11-2019 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36018558)
This is an absolutely standard Lib Dem tactic. They’ve been at it for years.

Oh, unlike the Tories and their 'fact check' twitter fraud. :rolleyes:

Dave42 28-11-2019 10:31

Neither Labour nor Tories have credible plans to manage public finances' - IFS

https://news.sky.com/story/general-e...estos-11872231

Chris 28-11-2019 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018560)

Well yes, as it happens. Unless you have proof of them changing the name of their Twitter feed prior to this election?

The Lib Dems on the other hand are absolutely famous for the ‘fake local newspaper’ trick. They have literally been using it in by elections and general elections for years.

Hugh 28-11-2019 11:10

BJ didn't think austerity was the right thing to do...

Speccy

Quote:

‘I remember having conversations with colleagues in the government that came in in 2010 saying I thought austerity was just not the right way forward for the UK.’

OLD BOY 28-11-2019 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018560)

Welcome to the world of fake news, Mr K. No need to call out the Conservative Party - they are all at it. You know what they say, fight fire with fire.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36018555)
Original article in the Times on red link for those who have access.

Well we all know what we think about polls, but this was the one to correctly call the last election and is also over 100,000 sample so must have some credence even though, as admitted, there is a +/-5% margin of error.

Yes, I saw that.

Additionally, the Telegraph has reported today that a Savanta ComRes survey found that more than a third (36 per cent) of Labour 2017 voters and 29 per cent of current Labour voters say they like the party but not the leader, while two in five (42 per cent) Lib Dem voters like Labour but not Mr Corbyn. While Mr Corbyn seems to be holding Labour back, Mr Johnson is adding value to the Tories. One in ten (11 per cent) of those intending to vote Conservative said they liked him, but not the Conservative Party – suggesting he has single-handedly brought in 11 per cent of the Conservative’s current voter group.

So much for those who didn't think Boris would be a popular choice with the electorate. I told you he would be - you heard it here first! :D

Incidentally, I think he will be even more popular by election day, particularly if Corbyn comes up with more spending pledges and more false claims about what the Conservatives plan to do when elected.

What these polls can't predict, of course, is how many voters will stay at home. Given Corbyn's standing with Labour supporters, it would not be surprising if a lot of his dissillusioned members stayed at home rather than vote for another party. That will increase Boris's lead still further.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36018561)
Neither Labour nor Tories have credible plans to manage public finances' - IFS

https://news.sky.com/story/general-e...estos-11872231

We know the Labour Party would sink us into huge debt if they tried to implement all their promises.

Boris's spending plans are much more modest, and while the means of paying for what he has promised may not have been specified, he has pledged to stick within Sajid's spending rules. I dare say they are expecting to be able to get more tax receipts in with the Brexit bounce and the end to uncertainty.

Sephiroth 28-11-2019 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018574)
Welcome to the world of fake news, Mr K. No need to call out the Conservative Party - they are all at it. You know what they say, fight fire with fire.

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Yes, I saw that.

Additionally, the Telegraph has reported today that a Savanta ComRes survey found that more than a third (36 per cent) of Labour 2017 voters and 29 per cent of current Labour voters say they like the party but not the leader, while two in five (42 per cent) Lib Dem voters like Labour but not Mr Corbyn. While Mr Corbyn seems to be holding Labour back, Mr Johnson is adding value to the Tories. One in ten (11 per cent) of those intending to vote Conservative said they liked him, but not the Conservative Party – suggesting he has single-handedly brought in 11 per cent of the Conservative’s current voter group.

So much for those who didn't think Boris would be a popular choice with the electorate. I told you he would be - you heard it here first! :D

Incidentally, I think he will be even more popular by election day, particularly if Corbyn comes up with more spending pledges and more false claims about what the Conservatives plan to do when elected.

What these polls can't predict, of course, is how many voters will stay at home. Given Corbyn's standing with Labour supporters, it would not be surprising if a lot of his dissillusioned members stayed at home rather than vote for another party. That will increase Boris's lead still further.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

We know the Labour Party would sink us into huge debt if they tried to implement all their promises.

Boris's spending plans are much more modest, and while the means of paying for what he has promised may not have been specified, he has pledged to stick within Sajid's spending rules. I dare say they are expecting to be able to get more tax receipts in with the Brexit bounce and the end to uncertainty.

I eagerly await jfman’s response, OB!

OLD BOY 28-11-2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018589)

I know. I've battened down the hatches while waiting for the next wave of perversity. :D

Angua 28-11-2019 19:06

Quote:

Delivered my share of these today. All clearly saying "Delivered By Liberal Democrats in the "Insert relevant area" Right under the paper name. Can't get more obvious.

Odd how this is the first time for complaints, despite all parties using this method of communicating. Obviously caused some panic somewhere. :D

papa smurf 28-11-2019 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36018599)
Delivered my share of these today. All clearly saying "Delivered By Liberal Democrats in the "Insert relevant area" Right under the paper name. Can't get more obvious.

Odd how this is the first time for complaints, despite all parties using this method of communicating. Obviously caused some panic somewhere. :D

I suppose people will be grateful if they run out of toilet paper.

Chris 28-11-2019 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018604)
I suppose people will be grateful if they run out of toilet paper.

I’m always grateful to get free newsprint through the door. The kids use it when they’re cleaning their pets cages. :D

papa smurf 28-11-2019 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36018606)
I’m always grateful to get free newsprint through the door. The kids use it when they’re cleaning their pets cages. :D

I use it to light the stove even fake news burns well;)

spiderplant 29-11-2019 11:24

Week 4 and I'm still undecided.

Who should I vote for and why?

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36018632)

I implore you not to vote for Corbyn for reasons of antisemitism and Momentum thugs.

Lib-Dems are a hopeless case, but Remainers might vote for them out of conscience.

Conservatives are led by a liar but they will execute the Referendum instruction and then hold the poison chalice of negotiating a trade deal with that awful EU.

Monster Raving Loonies have proposed a 99p coin - brilliant.

Mr K 29-11-2019 11:39

Quote:

I'm afraid with our electoral system it's a question of who you don't want, and the best way of achieving that wherever you live. A vote for anybody other than the top 2 parties in your constituency is wasted, it's a crazy system that disenfranchises a lot of the electorate.

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018634)
I'm afraid with our electoral system it's a question of who you don't want, and the best way of achieving that wherever you live. A vote for anybody other than the top 2 parties in your constituency is wasted, it's a crazy system that disenfranchises a lot of the electorate.

That's one way of looking at it and hard to argue with.

However, I and many others are members of one party or another (or long term supporters) and in my case I don't want Corbyn and I'm loyal to the Conservatives who pose no threat to society.

Ergo full circle to the very valid point you've made.

Does that mandate a change to the electoral system? Well, proportional representation will always lead to a hung Parliament and wishy-washy direction. A single transferable vote will crystallise election results yet remain with the present system of being able to produce a governing party.

Are coalitions a good idea? Actually the 2010 coalition wasn't a disaster (bar the students' price hike) but a Labour-Lib coalition would have destroyed us.

Mr K 29-11-2019 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018633)
I implore you not to vote for Corbyn for reasons of antisemitism and Momentum thugs.

Lib-Dems are a hopeless case, but Remainers might vote for them out of conscience.

Conservatives are led by a liar but they will execute the Referendum instruction and then hold the poison chalice of negotiating a trade deal with that awful EU.

I'm not so sure the Tories or anybody else, will ever actually deliver Brexit. Trade talks will take years, during which time a lot can change. e.g. an outbreak of common sense taking place.....

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018637)
I'm not so sure the Tories or anybody else, will ever actually deliver Brexit. Trade talks will take years, during which time a lot can change. e.g. an outbreak of common sense taking place.....

... that common sense being?

Maggy 29-11-2019 12:07

Quote:

Not an issue for me but i live in a constituency that hasn't change allegiance in 40 years and it won't now.

OLD BOY 29-11-2019 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018633)

You forgot that Corbyn will also cripple the economy, so that and his stance on the EU are two very good reasons for me to vote Conservative.

If this issue is not going to hike the Lib Dems into the official party of opposition (which it won't) I cannot think what it would take to bring this about. I can't see Labour sinking even further than this, but I suppose you never know.

Labour did bounce back over a period after Michael Foot. Maybe history will repeat itself.

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018643)
You forgot that Corbyn will also cripple the economy, so that and his stance on the EU are two very good reasons for me to vote Conservative.

If this issue is not going to hike the Lib Dems into the official party of opposition (which it won't) I cannot think what it would take to bring this about. I can't see Labour sinking even further than this, but I suppose you never know.

Labour did bounce back over a period after Michael Foot. Maybe history will repeat itself.

I can't question what you've said about Labour. But I'm appealing to the conscience and decency of our contributors who should not for a moment associate themselves with the evident antisemitism of Corbyn and his Momentum thugs.

jfman 29-11-2019 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018564)
BJ didn't think austerity was the right thing to do...

Speccy

Not often I find myself on the same side of the fence as Johnson.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018589)

We are already in huge debt! I’m not sure how 2 trillion is sustainable but 2.2 trillion after a wave of nationalisation is unsustainable...

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018646)
I can't question what you've said about Labour. But I'm appealing to the conscience and decency of our contributors who should not for a moment associate themselves with the evident antisemitism of Corbyn and his Momentum thugs.

Conscience and decency doesn’t pay the bills or solve poverty.

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018649)
Not often I find myself on the same side of the fence as Johnson.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

We are already in huge debt! I’m not sure how 2 trillion is sustainable but 2.2 trillion after a wave of nationalisation is unsustainable...

---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Conscience and decency doesn’t pay the bills or solve poverty.

.... at the expense of the sense of welcome, safety and non-fearfulness of a minority group of citizens? Is that what you represent?

jfman 29-11-2019 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018656)
.... at the expense of the sense of welcome, safety and non-fearfulness of a minority group of citizens? Is that what you represent?

It’s not what I represent, no. I’m not a member of any political party.

I don’t agree with your interpretation of events - I don’t believe Jews are unwelcome, unsafe or fearful. I think the press is inflating the issue as a stick to beat Corbyn with as a means to get poor people to vote on non-economic issues. As with nationalism.

Meanwhile rich people largely will vote Conservative for economic reasons.

Divide and rule.

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018657)
It’s not what I represent, no. I’m not a member of any political party.

I don’t agree with your interpretation of events - I don’t believe Jews are unwelcome, unsafe or fearful. I think the press is inflating the issue as a stick to beat Corbyn with as a means to get poor people to vote on non-economic issues. As with nationalism.

Meanwhile rich people largely will vote Conservative for economic reasons.

Divide and rule.

The Jewish ex-Labour MPs would disagree with you. The Chief Rabbi disagrees with you. Corbyn wouldn't apologise and Corbyn has openly supported terrorist organisations, particularly those that want to destroy Israel.

jfman 29-11-2019 14:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018658)
The Jewish ex-Labour MPs would disagree with you. The Chief Rabbi disagrees with you. Corbyn wouldn't apologise and Corbyn has openly supported terrorist organisations, particularly those that want to destroy Israel.

The chief rabbi considers himself a close personal friend of Johnson, so I’m not giving that much credibility.

I can go on Twitter and find Jews supporting Labour. So I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you suggest.

Thinking the state of Israel shouldn’t exist is a legitimate political stance. Given the number of civilians they kill on a regular basis arguable peace in the Middle East would be better served without Israel.

Angua 29-11-2019 14:24

Quote:

Simple: -

if you want Brexit and negotiations dragging on then vote Tory.

If you want Brexit gone, vote Lib Dem.

If you want to have a referendum over soft Brexit or Remain, vote Labour.

Be mindful of the consequences of either an outright Tory or Labour win. Hung parliament may well prevent the worse excess of either.

Chris 29-11-2019 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018659)

Thinking the state of Israel shouldn’t exist is a legitimate political stance. Given the number of civilians they kill on a regular basis arguable peace in the Middle East would be better served without Israel.

No, it is not.

It is the kind of extremism that causes major wars. There is nothing remotely legitimate, or political, about it.

Thinking the state of Israel should not have been created is an acceptable judgment of history. I hope that’s what you were driving at. Nevertheless that view can only endure as an assessment of historical events and it absolutely cannot be used to advance the idea that a modern, democratic nation state, that participates in normal international bodies and conventions, would be better off extinct. What you consider to be virtue-signalling words on an Internet forum, others take as legitimising their desire to commit genocide.

nomadking 29-11-2019 14:29

Quote:

The chief rabbi considers himself a close personal friend of Johnson, so I’m not giving that much credibility.

I can go on Twitter and find Jews supporting Labour. So I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you suggest.

And the likes of Hamas and Hezbollah don't attack anybody? The Israelis leave people alone until Israel is attacked. Perhaps Hamas should stop launching attacks and the people of Gaza should stop supporting them.

Sephiroth 29-11-2019 14:31

Quote:

Oh dear. Given that those in the region who agree with you have demonstrated that by starting at least 4 full scale wars with Israel, murdered israelis and people all over the world through terrorist activities, your esteem is lowered.

jfman 29-11-2019 14:35

An apartheid state occupying Palestine and committing war crimes on a regular basis isn’t my view of a modern democratic nation state. I think it’s important to make a distinction between Jewish people and the Israeli state though, because all too often they cloud the two to stop criticism of Israel by labelling it anti Semitic. We are moving off topic so I’ll leave it there.

Hugh 29-11-2019 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018658)

Strange how we are asked to forget what BJ said/did in the 80s/90s/00s as he may have matured/grown up/changed, but cannot apply the same thing to JC.

(I couldn't support JC, but it does seem to be one rule for one, and one for another - this also counts for the Islamaphobia in the Tory Party).

jfman 29-11-2019 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018662)
And the likes of Hamas and Hezbollah don't attack anybody? The Israelis leave people alone until Israel is attacked. Perhaps Hamas should stop launching attacks and the people of Gaza should stop supporting them.

The circle of violence continues forever without dialogue.

Hugh 29-11-2019 14:38

Quote:

Source, please?

Him sending a congratulations letter to BJ on his taking up the PM post is the same thing that Macron and Tusk did, and they ain't no friends of BJ...

nomadking 29-11-2019 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018667)
The circle of violence continues forever without dialogue.

If Hamas were remotely interested in peace, they could stop the cycle easily. Israel not responding, would just produce yet more attacks from Hamas.

jfman 29-11-2019 14:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018669)
If Hamas were remotely interested in peace, they could stop the cycle easily. Israel not responding, would just produce yet more attacks from Hamas.

Would it?

Killing civilians only angers more families and radicalises further generations.

nomadking 29-11-2019 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018670)
Would it?

Killing civilians only angers more families and radicalises further generations.

Israel would have nothing they need to respond to.

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 09:05

In a totally boring debate on BBC last night, the Conservative has by far the better of it. Labour were lying through their teeth about the NHS.

The Tory didn’t bumble like Boris does and was totally coherent in his message.

Mr K 30-11-2019 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018704)
In a totally boring debate on BBC last night, the Conservative has by far the better of it. Labour were lying through their teeth about the NHS.

The Tory didn’t bumble like Boris does and was totally coherent in his message.

He must have been.memorable, you can't even remember his name ! Better than Boris isn't setting the bar high.

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018706)
He must have been.memorable, you can't even remember his name ! Better than Boris isn't setting the bar high.

Why did I need to know his name? This is Conservatives vs Labour.

Btw, it would be good to see those on this thread who have said they’ll vote Labour to identify themselves and give a valid excuse for backing an anti Semitic party. In all conscience, there should be no support for Momentum thugs and the consequences of their hatred of Jews, nor formCorbyn’s affinity with IRA and Arab terrorists.

Angua 30-11-2019 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018637)

As Jo Swinson put it, we are at series one of a box set of 10 as far as Brexit is concerned. At least they are honest about spending plans, and get approval from the IFS. Cannot say the same for either Tories or Labour.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36018740)
As Jo Swinson put it, we are at series one of a box set of 10 as far as Brexit is concerned. At least they are honest about spending plans, and get approval from the IFS. Cannot say the same for either Tories or Labour.

They are being alarmist about Brexit. Trade deals can take years, but the one we want with the EU should be relatively straight forward to negotiate, given that our exported products already meet their standards.

I'm not worried about the Conservative spending plans. They are modest compared with the other two parties, and the Conservatives aren't exactly reckless with the economy, are they?

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018745)
They are being alarmist about Brexit. Trade deals can take years, but the one we want with the EU should be relatively straight forward to negotiate, given that our exported products already meet their standards.

I'm not worried about the Conservative spending plans. They are modest compared with the other two parties, and the Conservatives aren't exactly reckless with the economy, are they?

Wasn't that David Davies' pitch at the Referendum? It won't be easy. By playing that card, the EU will want to tie us in to maintaining their standards. We have to look at how Canada was engineered and learn from that.

Mr K 30-11-2019 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018759)
Wasn't that David Davies' pitch at the Referendum? It won't be easy. By playing that card, the EU will want to tie us in to maintaining their standards. We have to look at how Canada was engineered and learn from that.

The Canada deal took 7 years to negotiate, Bozza's promise that Brexit will be 'oven ready' sorted next month or even by the end of next year is another of his lies. Or maybe he's genuinely thick.

jfman 30-11-2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018745)

That statement is completely speculative.

Equally as we are 2 trillion in debt with the Tories and the coalition in power for 27 of the last 40 years, despite the windfalls of privatisation, I think it’s demonstrably laughable that the Conservatives aren’t reckless with the economy. That’s without even getting onto Brexit, which by any measure going will weaken the economy.

Chris 30-11-2019 16:09

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018770)

Equally as we are 2 trillion in debt with the Tories and the coalition in power for 27 of the last 40 years, despite the windfalls of privatisation, I think it’s demonstrably laughable that the Conservatives aren’t reckless with the economy. That’s without even getting onto Brexit, which by any measure going will weaken the economy.

I'm calling absolute BS on this. I mean, I have to admire your brass neck for trying to average out national debt increases over the last 40 years in order to blame the Tories for it, but how about we introduce some actual facts into the debate.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1575130174

When you look at where the significant increases in national debt have actually occurred, it's obvious that the one very significant change to the long term trend was spending initiated by Labour during the financial crisis from 2008 onwards.

Obviously the structural deficit that ensued meant the Coalition years saw that figure continue to increase, but then that gives the lie to those on the left that like to simultaneously blame the Tories for the size of the national debt, whilst also trying to claim austerity was never necessary.

In fact the only significant upwards movement in national debt under the Tories, that can be pinned solely on Tory economic policy, is the spike caused by our crash out of the ERM in 1992, and frankly in comparison to where we are now, that looks no worse than someone letting their Christmas shopping get a bit out of hand.

jfman 30-11-2019 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36018773)
I'm calling absolute BS on this. I mean, I have to admire your brass neck for trying to average out national debt increases over the last 40 years in order to blame the Tories for it, but how about we introduce some actual facts into the debate.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1575130174

When you look at where the significant increases in national debt have actually occurred, it's obvious that the one very significant change to the long term trend was spending initiated by Labour during the financial crisis from 2008 onwards.

Obviously the structural deficit that ensued meant the Coalition years saw that figure continue to increase, but then that gives the lie to those on the left that like to simultaneously blame the Tories for the size of the national debt, whilst also trying to claim austerity was never necessary.

In fact the only significant upwards movement in national debt under the Tories, that can be pinned solely on Tory economic policy, is the spike caused by our crash out of the ERM in 1992, and frankly in comparison to where we are now, that looks no worse than someone letting their Christmas shopping get a bit out of hand.

It’s 40 years of neo-liberal capitalist economics that has lead to here. Selling everything off helped massage the figures in the interim. But here we are saddled with all the debt and no more windfalls.

Your graph will also be skewed by changes in GDP, as opposed to considering the real terms value of the debt itself.

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018769)
The Canada deal took 7 years to negotiate, Bozza's promise that Brexit will be 'oven ready' sorted next month or even by the end of next year is another of his lies. Or maybe he's genuinely thick.

We all know what Boris meant. We will leave the EU, he says, on 31-Jan-20 if he has a majority. That's what we all understand by "getting Brexit done".

Only the anti-Conservatives and Remainers characterise that as lying.

Chris 30-11-2019 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018775)
It’s 40 years of neo-liberal capitalist economics that has lead to here. Selling everything off helped massage the figures in the interim. But here we are saddled with all the debt and no more windfalls.

Your graph will also be skewed by changes in GDP, as opposed to considering the real terms value of the debt itself.

Inflation also skews the real-terms value of the debt - i didn't see you hurrying to make appropriate caveats to your bald figure of £2tn. Besides, the impact of GDP is a perfectly right and proper consideration. The debt is only a problem if it can't be serviced. GDP indicates how serviceable the debt is, which is why it is relevant, and why the PA chose to express the national debt in those terms in that graph.

Further ... loose monetary policy was a far greater contributor to the supposed 'massaging' of public sector net debt in the second half of the 1980s than selling off state monopolies, though I grant you, getting unprofitable heavy industries like coal and steel off the balance sheet did it no harm. Ultimately we can't tell where monetary policy might have ended up because the ERM debacle intervened.

And on that point, I note that many of the same people who said we should be in the ERM, also said we should be in the Euro, and continue to say we should be in the EU. But I digress.

Hugh 30-11-2019 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018777)
We all know what Boris meant. We will leave the EU, he says, on 31-Jan-20 if he has a majority. That's what we all understand by "getting Brexit done".

But would enter a transition period during which it would continue to follow all EU rules and regulations and continue to pay the same amount of money into the EU budget, and the transition would be due to end in December 2020.

So we would have left the EU, but still following all the rules and pay the same as before - is that like leaving home, but still sleeping in the same bedroom, eating meals with the family, and paying your share of the bills? ;)

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018781)
But would enter a transition period during which it would continue to follow all EU rules and regulations and continue to pay the same amount of money into the EU budget, and the transition would be due to end in December 2020.

So we would have left the EU, but still following all the rules and pay the same as before - is that like leaving home, but still sleeping in the same bedroom, eating meals with the family, and paying your share of the bills? ;)

Yes - we would have left the EU. The rest of what you say is next phase. We all know what "getting Brexit done" as a slogan means at this stage and saying that it is lying is in itself dishonest.

jfman 30-11-2019 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36018779)
Inflation also skews the real-terms value of the debt - i didn't see you hurrying to make appropriate caveats to your bald figure of £2tn.

No it doesn’t, which is why I said real terms to create a distinction between inflation adjusted (real terms) and not inflation adjusted (nominal terms).

Quote:

Besides, the impact of GDP is a perfectly right and proper consideration. The debt is only a problem if it can't be serviced. GDP indicates how serviceable the debt is, which is why it is relevant, and why the PA chose to express the national debt in those terms in that graph.
GDP doesn’t indicate how serviceable the debt is at all. It’s only an indication if the Government enjoys it’s share of the wealth through taxation. With debt at £2 trillion I’m contending that for the last 40 years it hasn’t.

Quote:

Further ... loose monetary policy was a far greater contributor to the supposed 'massaging' of public sector net debt in the second half of the 1980s than selling off state monopolies, though I grant you, getting unprofitable heavy industries like coal and steel off the balance sheet did it no harm. Ultimately we can't tell where monetary policy might have ended up because the ERM debacle intervened.

And on that point, I note that many of the same people who said we should be in the ERM, also said we should be in the Euro, and continue to say we should be in the EU. But I digress.
I’m sure Governments of both colours have used plenty of tricks to massage the figures over the years. I’m not here to defend them.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018759)

Yes, well David Davies had his strategy ruined by Theresa May, didn't he? We did actually get a withdrawal agreement agreed within the two-year period, and Boris Johnson managed to renegotiate the parts of it which were causing problems for us within three short months. The EU hasn't held anything up, that was Parliament's fault.

Provided that we get a strong Conservative majority at the next election, I have no doubt that we can do a trade deal with the EU within the year.

Other countries will take longer, but not too long. Many of the useful provisions that we are currently getting through the EU can just be cut and pasted into draft new agreements with the countries concerned and then adjusted as necessary. The negotiations can then be based on that as a UK proposal.

I don't think a Conservative government under BJ would be so weak-kneed as to accept being drawn into any tie-up with EU rules beyond what is strictly necessary for our new trading arrangements. Any attempt by the EU to have us accept standardised employment laws, for example, will be rejected out of hand.

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018769)

Except that we don't have to bring our standards into line as Canada did. A year is perfectly do-able.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018770)

It is unquestionable that our standards already meet EU standards. What are you on?

As far as your second paragraph is concerned, that is untrue and your point has already been answered.

jfman 30-11-2019 19:40

The point has not been answered. It’s an outright lie to claim it has. It makes me wonder what, indeed, you are on? The propaganda machine is in overdrive tonight, ladies and gentlemen.

Adhering to EU standards at present and getting an EU trade deal aren’t one and the same thing. There would be issues around state aid, agriculture, fisheries all just to kick things off. Unless of course you are suggesting we stay in CAP and CFP?

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018775)

No amount of pontification on your part will convince anyone that the debt crisis wasn't caused by Labour. But I have to give it to you, you have a talent for attempting to convince us that black is white. You are not succeeding.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018777)

That's right. Brexit will have happened once we start negotiating a trade deal. The remainers do seem to be very confused about this whole subject.

jfman 30-11-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018819)
No amount of pontification on your part will convince anyone that the debt crisis was caused by Labour. But I have to give it to you, you have a talent for attempting to convince us that black is white. You are not succeeding.

I’ll never convince you, Old Boy, given the frankly ridiculous depths you will go to in order to defend the Conservatives at all cost. It would be admirable, if it wasn’t so perverse, given your propensity to ignore all objective fact and economic data since 1979.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018781)

So we would have left the EU, but still following all the rules and pay the same as before
- is that like leaving home, but still sleeping in the same bedroom, eating meals with the family, and paying your share of the bills? ;)

But that couldn't be avoided if we want the breathing space. The withdrawal agreement is only for a year, so what's the problem?

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018819)
No amount of pontification on your part will convince anyone that the debt crisis was caused by Labour. But I have to give it to you, you have a talent for attempting to convince us that black is white. You are not succeeding.

---------- Post added at 19:42 ---------- Previous post was at 19:40 ----------

That's right. Brexit will have happened once we start negotiating a trade deal. The remainers do seem to be very confused about this whole subject.

They are not confused at all, OB. They are deliberately putting out disinformation.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018821)
I’ll never convince you, Old Boy, given the frankly ridiculous depths you will go to in order to defend the Conservatives at all cost. It would be admirable, if it wasn’t so perverse, given your propensity to ignore all objective fact and economic data since 1979.

The majority of the electorate disagree with you and will be voting accordingly.

jfman 30-11-2019 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018824)
The majority of the electorate disagree with you and will be voting accordingly.

Ah that old chestnut. It’s sad to see the straw you clutch to given your inability to articulate a coherent response to my many, many valid points.

The “majority of the electorate” doesn’t mean your stance has any grounds in economic reality. Voters can vote for many reasons beamed into their eyeballs from a small number of billionaire newspaper barons.

Indeed you yourself said, and I did concede the point, that voters in principle don’t want to pay more tax. They equally don’t want to face up to the consequences of not doing so - 2 trillion of debt.

Hugh 30-11-2019 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018822)
But that couldn't be avoided if we want the breathing space. The withdrawal agreement is only for a year, so what's the problem?

It’s not what was said..

Quote:

We will leave the EU, he says, on 31-Jan-20 if he has a majority. That's what we all understand by "getting Brexit done"

OLD BOY 01-12-2019 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018827)
It’s not what was said..

You said: 'So we would have left the EU, but still following all the rules and pay the same as before.'

That is what I was responding to. I did highlight your remarks in bold.

If Labour were in charge, your comment would be relevant, because he is going for Brino (or remain).

papa smurf 01-12-2019 10:57

Interesting piece in the telegraph.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...-anti-semitic/

https://antisemitism.uk/caa-and-kcl-...semitic-views/

Chris 01-12-2019 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018836)

Choice quote from the second link:

Quote:

Gideon Falter, Chief Executive of Campaign Against Antisemitism, said: “Far from being the champion of anti-racism that it holds itself out to be, the far-left is now home to even more anti-Jewish bigotry than the far-right. Nowhere is that more obvious than in the Labour Party, whose Jeremy Corbyn is now the politician of choice for antisemites."
And, crucially:

Quote:

The YouGov survey was designed and analysed by Dr Daniel Allington of King’s College London. The polling was conducted prior to a General Election being called.
In other words, this isn't a politically motivated smear campaign against grandpa Corbyn and it isn't a reaction to the stuff that's been in the news during the election campaign.

Of course those who refuse to believe Corbyn's Labour Party has a very specific problem with this will continue to play whataboutery over the Tories' perceived failings, or put it down to Tory bias at the heart of British Jewry (laughable considering the well known, historic links between British Jews and the Labour movement).

jfman 01-12-2019 14:46

The only thing laughable is that after 4 years people think that smear will still fly.

Hugh 01-12-2019 15:57

BJ telling fibs on Andrew Marr this morning, saying the Queen's Speech, which set out his plans for government, including a bill to prevent automatic early release of prisoners, had been "blocked by Parliament" - it passed by 16 votes...

Linky - 24th October 2019

Quote:

MPs have approved the Queen's Speech, which sets out Boris Johnson's priorities for the parliamentary session, by 310 votes to 294...

...The Queen's Speech sets out 26 bills, covering areas including Brexit, criminal justice and the NHS.

jfman 01-12-2019 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018844)
BJ telling fibs on Andrew Marr this morning, saying the Queen's Speech, which set out his plans for government, including a bill to prevent automatic early release of prisoners, had been "blocked by Parliament" - it passed by 16 votes...

Hence his absolute fear of any kind of scrutiny.

nomadking 01-12-2019 17:31

Quote:

1) That was the speech as a whole, not any specific proposals which are yet to be put forward.
2) The election has cancelled that set of general proposals.
3) The need for an election has been the thing that blocked any proposals.

jfman 01-12-2019 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018852)
1) That was the speech as a whole, not any specific proposals which are yet to be put forward.
2) The election has cancelled that set of general proposals.
3) The need for an election has been the thing that blocked any proposals.

A rather perverse outlook on Parliamentary democracy, I’ll give you that. Especially as it was a Government Bill that led to said election.

nomadking 01-12-2019 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018853)
A rather perverse outlook on Parliamentary democracy, I’ll give you that. Especially as it was a Government Bill that led to said election.

Because of the blocking of Brexit by Parliament. What specific measures in that Speech have been implemented or turned down? Approval of the Queen's speech is usually a formality. Absolutely nothing is brought into law as a result of it.

Just completely ludicrous to suggest that Labour or the Lib Dems would be harder on criminals, especially terrorists.

A monitoring tag is only really useful after any crime. It might deter burglars or somebody hoping to get away with a crime, but it would hardly be a deterrent to a suicide bomber/attacker.

What specifically did he refer to?

jfman 01-12-2019 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018858)
Because of the blocking of Brexit by Parliament. What specific measures in that Speech have been implemented or turned down? Approval of the Queen's speech is usually a formality. Absolutely nothing is brought into law as a result of it.

Just completely ludicrous to suggest that Labour or the Lib Dems would be harder on criminals, especially terrorists.

A monitoring tag is only really useful after any crime. It might deter burglars or somebody hoping to get away with a crime, but it would hardly be a deterrent to a suicide bomber/attacker.

What specifically did he refer to?

It’s ludicrous to suggest that because Parliament didn’t back Boris and his Brexit deal they “blocked” the rest of his legislative agenda. He was free to introduce it as and when he pleased.

Are you suggesting we simply have elections every five years for a de-facto dictatorship? Accept one proposed bill, you must accept them all?

It sounds right wing enough for most of this forum to get behind, I’ll give it that.

What is ludicrous is to suggest that the current Government after nearly a decade aren’t responsible for law and order, nor the state of the economy. Convenient that.

nomadking 01-12-2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018859)
It’s ludicrous to suggest that because Parliament didn’t back Boris and his Brexit deal they “blocked” the rest of his legislative agenda. He was free to introduce it as and when he pleased.

Are you suggesting we simply have elections every five years for a de-facto dictatorship? Accept one proposed bill, you must accept them all?

It sounds right wing enough for most of this forum to get behind, I’ll give it that.

What is ludicrous is to suggest that the current Government after nearly a decade aren’t responsible for law and order, nor the state of the economy. Convenient that.

You are the one suggesting that approval of the Queen's speech is the same as approving each and every proposal within it, which are fairly general at that point.

You claim that the proposal wasn't blocked.
Quote:

"including a bill to prevent automatic early release of prisoners, had been "blocked by Parliament" - it passed by 16 votes...

Quote:

At the end of the debate there is a vote. It's normally seen as symbolic, as it is extremely rare for a government to lose it.
Mr Johnson has already lost seven consecutive House of Commons votes since becoming prime minister. At the moment, if every opposition MP voted against the government, it would lose by 45 votes.
Not every MP voted on the Queen's Speech.

jfman 01-12-2019 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018862)
You are the one suggesting that approval of the Queen's speech is the same as approving each and every proposal within it, which are fairly general at that point.

You claim that the proposal wasn't blocked.

And indeed it wasn't. The government decided to abandon it's legislative agenda over a single piece of legislation.

nomadking 01-12-2019 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018863)
And indeed it wasn't. The government decided to abandon it's legislative agenda over a single piece of legislation.

Quote:

Mr Johnson has already lost seven consecutive House of Commons votes since becoming prime minister. At the moment, if every opposition MP voted against the government, it would lose by 45 votes.
And that wouldn't have made a difference? Only 604 of the 650 MPs voted, so any further proposals might have been at risk.

jfman 01-12-2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018864)
And that wouldn't have made a difference? Only 604 of the 650 MPs voted, so any further proposals might have been at risk.

So the Government didn't pursue it's agenda out if fear of losing. That's fine as long as it's phrased like that.

Some matters of course transcend party politics - so we will never know how that Parliament would have voted on crime any more than it would vote on the Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Properties) Bill.

So say Parliament blocked is an out and out lie.

nomadking 01-12-2019 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018865)
So the Government didn't pursue it's agenda out if fear of losing. That's fine as long as it's phrased like that.

Some matters of course transcend party politics - so we will never know how that Parliament would have voted on crime any more than it would vote on the Telecommunications Infrastructure (Leasehold Properties) Bill.

So say Parliament blocked is an out and out lie.

Exactly, yet you say Parliament approved it, they didn't. Nothing can be determined either way on the basis of the Queen's speech vote as it is merely symbolic.

It is the persistent blocking of the democratic vote and Brexit that led to the need for an election. If that blocking hadn't taken place, instead the proposals would've been in hand. Although it is unlikely it would've have changed anything. Too many of them swanning about as it is. There will never be an end to it, so get used to more attacks of various sorts.

jfman 01-12-2019 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018866)
Exactly, yet you say Parliament approved it, they didn't. Nothing can be determined either way on the basis of the Queen's speech vote as it is merely symbolic.

It is the persistent blocking of the democratic vote and Brexit that led to the need for an election. If that blocking hadn't taken place, instead the proposals would've been in hand. Although it is unlikely it would've have changed anything. Too many of them swanning about as it is. There will never be an end to it, so get used to more attacks of various sorts.

Boris used the term blocked. That’s a lie on his part. You persist with it, knowing it’s incorrect.

His Government chose not to pursue his legislative agenda and vote for an election.

We really are through the looking glass here in attempts to defend the Conservatives at all costs.

nomadking 01-12-2019 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018867)
Boris used the term blocked. That’s a lie on his part. You persist with it, knowing it’s incorrect.

His Government chose not to pursue his legislative agenda and vote for an election.

We really are through the looking glass here in attempts to defend the Conservatives at all costs.

They didn't block anything, but on the other hand they DIDN'T approve anything either, when you said they did approve it. The legislative agenda is to implement Brexit.
He said "amongst other things, not least, Brexit, and we need to get it done, so that we can move forward." Realistically nothing can happen with the Benn bill in the way.

The need for an election is indirectly blocking the contents of the Queen's speech.

jfman 01-12-2019 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018868)
They didn't block anything, but on the other hand they DIDN'T approve anything either, when you said they did approve it. The legislative agenda is to implement Brexit.
He said "amongst other things, not least, Brexit, and we need to get it done, so that we can move forward." Realistically nothing can happen with the Benn bill in the way.

Boris said blocked the legislation. That wasn’t true.

I didn’t say they approved anything. You are fighting your own straw man out of desperation to stick up for the Conservatives.

Quote:

The need for an election is indirectly blocking the contents of the Queen's speech.
Under FTPA no such requirement exists. Please cease from misleading the forum.

pip08456 01-12-2019 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018869)

I didn’t say they approved anything. You are fighting your own straw man out of desperation to stick up for the Conservatives.

You been made a moderator?

jfman 01-12-2019 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36018870)
You been made a moderator?

No, and moderator instructions are in bold.

However if people continue to lie there's a high chance the discussion will continue needlessly, and go around circular points. Are you advocating forum members misleading the forum? :confused:

An astonishing stance to take, frankly.

nomadking 01-12-2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018869)

Ok, looking back it wasn't you, it was Hugh. It was his post I initially replied to. But you agreed with his post.
Quote:

Nothing of substance can be done until Brexit is finally sorted out. Apart form anything else, the Remain crowd will tack on various Remain inspired amendments to anything brought
forward.

Eg
Quote:

MPs also rejected the SNP's amendment which included demands for the retention of freedom of movement between the UK and Europe and a net-zero greenhouse gas emissions target by 2045.
Speaker John Bercow did not pick a Liberal Democrat amendment calling for a second referendum on the EU membership.
They will hijack and block anything they can.

jfman 01-12-2019 19:46

I agreed that Boris was making a misleading statement. That's an observable fact to any user of this forum with any semblance of objectivity left.

nomadking 01-12-2019 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018873)
I agreed that Boris was making a misleading statement. That's an observable fact to any user of this forum with any semblance of objectivity left.

He added ",amongst other things, not least, Brexit, and we need to get it done, so that we can move forward.". That was the rest of the statement. That is why there have been references to a "zombie government".

Whatever legislative agenda had been in place, has been blocked by the Brexit blockage. Until that is properly resolved, nothing of substance can be implemented. It really cannot be denied that Remainers have effectively blocked anything and everything of substance being able to take place.

jfman 01-12-2019 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018876)
He added ",amongst other things, not least, Brexit, and we need to get it done, so that we can move forward.". That was the rest of the statement. That is why there have been references to a "zombie government".

Whatever legislative agenda had been in place, has been blocked by the Brexit blockage. Until that is properly resolved, nothing of substance can be implemented. It really cannot be denied that Remainers have effectively blocked anything and everything of substance being able to take place.

I don't care for his caveats or other add-ons. Boris chose to push for an election - indeed despite the Withdrawal Agreement Bill passing second reading.

It was a choice of this Government, and this alone, to push for an election. It introduced, and voted for, the legislation to facilitate it.

Sephiroth 01-12-2019 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018871)

However if people continue to lie there's a high chance the discussion will continue needlessly, and go around circular points. Are you advocating forum members misleading the forum? :confused:

You are rather liberal with your accusation that people are liars.
You may not agree with their interpretation but that doesn't meean they are lying. Again, you disappoint me.

---------- Post added at 20:38 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018877)
I don't care for his caveats or other add-ons. Boris chose to push for an election - indeed despite the Withdrawal Agreement Bill passing second reading.

It was a choice of this Government, and this alone, to push for an election. It introduced, and voted for, the legislation to facilitate it.

Er - Parliament as a whole voted for the general election by 438/20.

jfman 01-12-2019 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018878)
You are rather liberal with your accusation that people are liars.
You may not agree with their interpretation but that doesn't meean they are lying. Again, you disappoint me.

It's a tangible fact that the Government abandoned it's "bold legislative agenda" as outlined in the Queen's Speech.

Parliament didn't block the Speech itself or any hypothetical legislation on crime.

Each issue, I'm sure, would have been considered on merit by our esteemed Parliamentarians.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018878)

Er - Parliament as a whole voted for the general election by 438/20.[/COLOR]

Parliament as a whole did indeed vote on it, although had the Government whipped against it would have lost. The Government introduced and voted for legislation to abandon its agenda.

None of this adds up to Parliament doing anything with legislation on crime against the will of the Government. Or "blocking".

Sephiroth 01-12-2019 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018880)
It's a tangible fact that the Government abandoned it's "bold legislative agenda" as outlined in the Queen's Speech.

Parliament didn't block the Speech itself or any hypothetical legislation on crime.

Each issue, I'm sure, would have been considered on merit by our esteemed Parliamentarians.

---------- Post added at 20:41 ---------- Previous post was at 20:39 ----------

Parliament as a whole did indeed vote on it, although had the Government whipped against it would have lost. The Government introduced and voted for legislation to abandon its agenda.

None of this adds up to Parliament doing anything with legislation on crime against the will of the Government. Or "blocking".

You're wriggling. Poor show.

jfman 01-12-2019 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018883)
You're wriggling. Poor show.

I'm not wriggling. I've maintained the Government introduced and voted for legislation to facilitate the early election as an alternative to pursuing its own agenda. At no point had Parliament the opportunity to vote against, or block, a crime bill. This is absolute fact.

Even nomadking conceded that I hadn't made any other points on this matter.

nomadking 01-12-2019 21:42

When did Boris say that Parliament voted against the Queen's speech? He used the term "blocked", which is correct.

jfman 01-12-2019 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018890)
When did Boris say that Parliament voted against the Queen's speech? He used the term "blocked", which is correct.

It’s not. He made the choice to bring down his own Government rather than pursue the legislative agenda announced just two weeks earlier.

Had he lost a vote of no confidence I’d maybe, maybe, agree. However I cannot looking objectively at the facts in front of me.

Maggy 01-12-2019 22:33

Well having read this entire thread I'm no wiser.

Carth 02-12-2019 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36018894)
Well having read this entire thread I'm no wiser.

Me neither . . . I do feel 200 years older though

Mick 02-12-2019 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018871)

No they are not always. It is not forum policy to bold them, team members bold instructions, to ensure instructions are seen. But instructions don’t have to be in bold.

I saw your post, you have zero authority to tell anyone on here what they should post.

jfman 02-12-2019 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36018902)
No they are not always. It is not forum policy to bold them, team members bold instructions, to ensure instructions are seen. But instructions don’t have to be in bold.

I saw your post, you have zero authority to tell anyone on here what they should post.

I didn’t claim such authority, just pointed out the futility of making statements that are demonstrably false. Next time I’ll prefix wit “please” or “could you” if that makes it clear for everyone.