Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33606342)

DieDieMyDarling 16-01-2007 21:22

Re: Traffic shaping everything (inc newsgroups)

I can't even do my downloading overnight anymore, due to the rather dodgy 003 firmware for the Ambit 120, which makes it crash after roughly 800mb of downloading.
If NTL choose to go down the road of traffic shaping from teatime to midnight, it won't bother me that much, but what really does bother me is their usual underhanded tactics. Advertise as unlimited then traffic shape/cap without telling anyone.
It's quite ironic really that this is the same week they launch the new website with Virgin, trying to build trust and inform the customers about their products, i notice 'traffic shaping' isn't mentioned on that.

Doofy 16-01-2007 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling (Post 34199066)
I can't even do my downloading overnight anymore, due to the rather dodgy 003 firmware for the Ambit 120, which makes it crash after roughly 800mb of downloading.
If NTL choose to go down the road of traffic shaping from teatime to midnight, it won't bother me that much, but what really does bother me is their usual underhanded tactics. Advertise as unlimited then traffic shape/cap without telling anyone.
It's quite ironic really that this is the same week they launch the new website with Virgin, trying to build trust and inform the customers about their products, i notice 'traffic shaping' isn't mentioned on that.

Nope but fair usage policy is ;) ;) should raise a few eyebrows when it comes into play, especially in my area

Chicken 16-01-2007 22:10

How can they sell a service as "up to 10MB" when they are sending a config file that caps the modem to a maximum of 5MB?

SnoopZ 16-01-2007 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken (Post 34199099)
How can they sell a service as "up to 10MB" when they are sending a config file that caps the modem to a maximum of 5MB?

Their not sending a config file.

morrk 16-01-2007 22:34

But they are capping the speed to 5 meg :)

pachelbel 16-01-2007 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken (Post 34199099)

I totally agree. At the end of the day what will be the point of possible 20M or 50M speeds. If NTL want people to browse only then just sell a basic low end service. God knows how they are going to respond to BSkys's 18M speed if they cannot sustain a service 10M and under.

zing_deleted 16-01-2007 22:50

I see nothing wrong in the traffic shaping if it means everyone gets a better connection at peak . And 5 meg is sound its only 2 years ago next month we got 3 meg. Some people just want to whine and moan 5 meg would still download you a dvd in 2 hours so whats your problems?????????

Chicken 16-01-2007 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 34199114)
Their not sending a config file.

See post #27

pachelbel 16-01-2007 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34199130)
I see nothing wrong in the traffic shaping if it means everyone gets a better connection at peak . And 5 meg is sound its only 2 years ago next month we got 3 meg. Some people just want to whine and moan 5 meg would still download you a dvd in 2 hours so whats your problems?????????

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! zinglebarb

to be serious though, if you go to the bar and order a pint you would not expect a glass half full.

If I was paying for 10m, then I would want the full monty.

It will be interesting to see how all the ISP's play out and respond to obvious P2P traffic issues.

zing_deleted 16-01-2007 23:05

they will all traffic shape too its going to happen to be capped down to 5 meg is not goint to restrict anyone much so why worry????

Doofy 16-01-2007 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34199130)

Sounds like the same old argument when the 3 meg was brought in, some people will just hammer and sod the consequences heres an example just been sent this from someones news account bragging. This account was created on january 1st 2007 and they swear they were taking it easy some people really do take the **** and it's these people who really ***** it up for everyone. here goes!!!!!! You have downloaded so far: 433,211,135,296 Bytes (403.46 GB)!!!!:Yikes: :Yikes:

zing_deleted 16-01-2007 23:13

I download that much but I dont mind being shapped at peak times its not gonna change what i download i just may download it at a different time or just take longer to get it

pachelbel 16-01-2007 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doofy (Post 34199140)
Sounds like the same old argument when the 3 meg was brought in, some people will just hammer and sod the consequences heres an example just been sent this from someones news account bragging. This account was created on january 1st 2007 and they swear they were taking it easy some people really do take the **** and it's these people who really ***** it up for everyone. here goes!!!!!! You have downloaded so far: 433,211,135,296 Bytes (403.46 GB)!!!!:Yikes: :Yikes:

Well if you accept that principle then the simple question again is 'what is the point of high speed BB'

SnoopZ 16-01-2007 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken (Post 34199135)
See post #27

Their not doing it by changing the config file though as morrk originally thought.

zing_deleted 16-01-2007 23:17

The solution is simple . Queue your downloads for when the throttling isnt taking place.Why anyone would want to run a Bit torrent client or a p2p client at peak times anyway when they may want to be using the pc as on the few occassions ive run such apps everything else has run like crap so not downloading when using pc for other things (which for most people will be between peak times) is imo a bloody good idea. You will still be able to download your torrent files ready to q when you go to bed or get up in the morning. Its not difficult