Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

davethejag 29-05-2008 18:14

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hi All, I am an old Offshore Radio Pirate/Free Radio supporter and it has suddenly struck me that this old Pirate related music could have the words altered to suite our cause? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLBq6Vu9KC4

Best to all, davethejag

Wild Oscar 29-05-2008 18:24

Congrats to all .. threads just gone past 500 pages!!

BadPhormula 29-05-2008 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by davethejag (Post 34562733)
Hi All, I am an old Offshore Radio Pirate/Free Radio supporter and it has suddenly struck me that this old Pirate related music could have the words altered to suite our cause? -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLBq6Vu9KC4

Best to all, davethejag

I Spy For The BTi ;)

serial 29-05-2008 18:53

My MP submitted a question to the Home Office and today I recieved a letter with the response. I've typed it out below:

Home Office
The Rt Hon Tony McNulty MP
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Thank you for your letter of 21 April to Vernon Coaker on behalf of Serial, who contacted you to express concern about targeted online advertising and the use of that technology by internet service providers. I am replying as the Minister responsible for the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) which provides for the lawful interception of communications and the criminal offence of unlawful interception.

The Home Office has considered the issue of Targeted Online Advertising in general without specific regard to any particular application such as the one you mention. The Home Office came to the conclusion that it might be possible for Targeted Online Advertising services to be lawful under RIPA. It might also be the case that Targeted Online Advertising is delivered in a way that is not considered as interception as defined by RIPA. It does rather depend on how those services are offered and how they work. I should point out that we are, of course, unable to provide a definitive statement of the law, which only a court could give.

The Home Office does not take forward investigations or prosecutions under RIPA. The Investigatory Powers Tribunal investigates complaints about the alleged use of interception when conducted by state bodies such as the Police and Security Service, but does not investigate commercial companies. Any investigation of a complaint against a company for breaching RIPA legislation would need to be taken up by the police.

The Information Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targetted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty

Cogster 29-05-2008 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial (Post 34562765)
but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty

So the ICO waits to see what the 10,000 carefully selected 'vegetables' will say.

Figures..

serial 29-05-2008 19:47

Don't forget this:

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3629297

For the upcoming trial Adam Liversage, BT's chief press officer said:

"We won't know who any of the users are, so any feedback we receive is likely to be the customers choosing to do so through our forums,"

Note, this means anyone in or out of the trial can post feedback in the forums and BT can't distinguish.

Wildie 29-05-2008 19:56

I think they missing the point that BT did a covert trial not once but twice without the consent of those involved in the two trials, so why are they not looking into them never mind the new trail.

BadPhormula 29-05-2008 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cogster (Post 34562799)
So the ICO waits to see what the 10,000 carefully selected 'vegetables' will say.

Figures..

He'll need a translator to exchange 'grunt' into English first. ;)

Reminds me of that old spitting image sketch. Thatcher and the cabinet sat around a large dinning table.

Waitress: "what would you like?"

Thatcher: "I'll have the steak.., raw"

Waitress: "What about the vegetables?"

Thatcher: "Oh they'll have the same"

Deko 29-05-2008 20:00

Whats happening with the 80/"0 Video's ? Did the dog eat the tape or some other poor excuse come out i have not seen.

Mr Hanff any joy getting the unedited BBC footage of kent being, well kent ?

Simon @ 80/20 phorm will ruin your reputation I do hope they paid you enough.

vicz 29-05-2008 20:12

Quote:

My MP submitted a question to the Home Office and today I recieved a letter with the response. I've typed it out below:

Home Office
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Thank you for your letter of 21 April to Vernon Coaker on behalf of Serial, who contacted you to express concern about targeted online advertising and the use of that technology by internet service providers. I am replying as the Minister responsible for the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) which provides for the lawful interception of communications and the criminal offence of unlawful interception....

...waffle..waffle..waffle..

.......tion Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targetted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty

Useless berk. Any excuse not to do anything. Who voted for these morons?

AlexanderHanff 29-05-2008 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deko (Post 34562845)
Mr Hanff any joy getting the unedited BBC footage of kent being, well kent ?

Simon @ 80/20 phorm will ruin your reputation I do hope they paid you enough.

No I never bothered to ask for it, I can't see them giving it to me.

[deleted text I misread original post]

Alexander Hanff

warescouse 29-05-2008 20:32

Quote:

cut....
The Information Commissioner's Office has provided a view that Targeted Online Advertising could operate in a way that is in compliance with the Data Protection Act, but that he is keeping the targeted online advertising products under review and will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate.

Tony McNulty

So it doesn't matter if it's illegal, let's just wait and see if there is any perceived outcry. I hope the EC gives the ICO a right old rollicking at some point. I am getting very angry with this lacklustre Government. This is an absolute disgrace the way the Government is handling this.

Phorm is illegal!

START LISTENING TO THE PUBLIC GORDON BROWN! THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU!

They are so deep inside their ivory towers they have not got any clue what's going on in the real world.

Let us all make sure there is one hell of an outcry!

AlexanderHanff 29-05-2008 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by warescouse (Post 34562874)
So it doesn't matter if it's illegal, let's just wait and see if there is any perceived outcry. I hope the EC gives the ICO a right old rollicking at some point. I am getting very angry with this lacklustre Government. This is an absolute disgrace the way the Government is handling this.

Phorm is illegal!

START LISTENING TO THE PUBLIC GORDON BROWN! THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU!

They are so deep inside their ivory towers they have not got any clue what's going on in the real world.

Let us all make sure there is one hell of an outcry!

I think we need to organise an official demo at some point over the summer, in London outside BT HQ.

Alexander Hanff

Cogster 29-05-2008 20:38

I'm in..

why no go to the OIX partners?

OldBear 29-05-2008 20:39

Quote:

Home Office
Minister of State

Dear Serials MP

Blah, blah, drone, waffle

Tony McNulty

It's amazing that MPs kicked up such a huge stink when they felt we were invading their privacy when a DPA request was made into their expense claims. Look how much trouble they took to try and stop it.

Yet when we try and stop our privacy being breached, they pass the buck and do sod all.

You wonder what the point is sometimes.

OB