Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708548)

OLD BOY 20-12-2019 19:00

BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Well, it looks as though it is finally happening. The new Conservative Government is so angry with the Beeb over left wing bias by BBC interviewers and the flagship Radio 4 'Today' programme that it has indicated it is now prepared to consider scrapping the licence fee.

I suspect that this will be difficult (but not impossible) to achieve, mainly because anyone with older TV sets will not be able to 'unlock' the channels with a subscription, which appears to be the favoured means of achieving this change. The same problem is not presented for customers with a Sky, VM, BT or Talk Talk TV subscription or those with access to Freeview Play, etc. So this move will not be popular with pensioners, many of whom will not be able to afford to buy new equipment.

Radio will be a bigger problem, as most radio users will be able to continue to have free access to all their favourite radio stations, whether they subscribe or not.

I am an advocate of scrapping the licence fee to replace the current licence fee model, but I was not expecting this to be accomplished until the 2030s. I cannot see how they can implement this over the short term without upsetting rather a lot of people.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this problem will be overcome?

pip08456 20-12-2019 19:06

Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36020762)
Well, it looks as though it is finally happening. The new Conservative Government is so angry with the Beeb over left wing bias by BBC interviewers and the flagship Radio 4 'Today' programme that it has indicated it is now prepared to consider scrapping the licence fee.

I suspect that this will be difficult (but not impossible) to achieve, mainly because anyone with older TV sets will not be able to 'unlock' the channels with a subscription, which appears to be the favoured means of achieving this change. The same problem is not presented for customers with a Sky, VM, BT or Talk Talk TV subscription or those with access to Freeview Play, etc. So this move will not be popular with pensioners, many of whom will not be able to afford to buy new equipment.

Radio will be a bigger problem, as most radio users will be able to continue to have free access to all their favourite radio stations, whether they subscribe or not.

I am an advocate of scrapping the licence fee to replace the current licence fee model, but I was not expecting this to be accomplished until the 2030s. I cannot see how they can implement this over the short term without upsetting rather a lot of people.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this problem will be overcome?

Ads.

OLD BOY 20-12-2019 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36020763)
Ads.

Ha ha! Yes, might not go down well, apart from on Radio 1!

Damien 20-12-2019 19:21

The licence fee runs until 2027 and the fee itself to come up in 2022. I think most people, including the BBC, do expect the model to change in 2027.

Until then I think this is more about positioning and PR from the Government than any practical proposals they might have. Not doing the Andrew Neil interview, boycotting Today and only going to 'friendly' outlets is a more distributing trend but it's one we're seeing across politics these days.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36020765)
Ha ha! Yes, might not go down well, apart from on Radio 1!

The BBC would run fine with ads but it'll ITV, Channel 4 and the rest that will worry about the BBC entering that market.

The most likely scenario is the BBC has a hybrid subscription model whereby some content is locked behind a paywall of sorts but the Government gives them money to air some of that programming for free on standard television and radio. Additionally they'll continue to provide public service broadcasting and news as part of that remit. The BBC has been increasingly aggressive about BBC Worldwide in their attempt to draw in revenue from abroad too which might allow them to survive without ads in the U.K.

nomadking 20-12-2019 19:48

Quite a few of the big projects are co-produced(ie funded) with others.

Mr K 20-12-2019 19:51

It it does become a subscription, folks could end up paying considerably more. Compare the licence fee against what Sky or Virgin charge annually.

pip08456 20-12-2019 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36020775)
It it does become a subscription, folks could end up paying considerably more. Compare the licence fee against what Sky or Virgin charge annually.

Only those who want it.

Mr K 20-12-2019 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36020780)
Only those who want it.

Well it you want quality original British drama that's the envy of the world, go for the BBC. If you want imported US crap and repeats go for Sky/VM.

pip08456 20-12-2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36020781)
Well it you want quality original British drama that's the envy of the world, go for the BBC. If you want imported US crap and repeats go for Sky/VM.

I go for neither.

Pierre 20-12-2019 21:21

Quote:

I would have thought a left leaning liberal such as yourself would have gladly seen off a universal tax such as the licence fee.

nomadking 20-12-2019 21:36

Quote:

How much is actually fully made by the BBC?

Mr K 20-12-2019 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36020783)
I would have thought a left leaning liberal such as yourself would have gladly seen off a universal tax such as the licence fee.

You thought wrong then (and it isn't universal, no TV, then no fee). However the fact the fee is widespread is why its so cheap (£13 a month) compared to other providers, and it produces more original programming.

There isn't a profit motive with the BBC, anything made goes back into programming, unlike commercial channels where if it doesn't make money, it's not made. That's why it's output unique and high quality, it has a public service remit. It goes beyond TV with national and local radio and ad free website. Mess with it and it'll become another down-market Sky/ITV and cost more, with less original output.

Is it my imagination or have we had several BBC licence fee bashing threads like this before, mostly started by OB ? ;)

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36020785)

The fact it's original programming is the important factor.

Chris 20-12-2019 23:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36020785)

The percentage is determined by the charter. I don’t know offhand but for first-run drama I’ve a feeling it’s roughly half and half. That’s not to say the rest is imported - what the BBC doesn’t make in-house it commissions. This became a thing in the 1980s as a deliberate decision of Thatcher’s government to stimulate independent tv production in the UK. We have a vibrant film and TV production industry in the UK as a result. It doubtless helps that the BBC is such a massive commissioner of original programming, and of course it is able to do so because the licence fee guarantees it a large and reliable income to spend on such programming.

adzii_nufc 21-12-2019 06:30

Never really touch the BBC anymore. I remember when F1 was on there though.

Because whether you like the content is opinion based of course. I find I get better original content on Amazon and Netflix. So in a subscription model BBC, I'm out.

The only need for my TV licence is for Sky sports/BT sports and anything Amazon Live I suppose. So I'd welcome a scrappage of the fee too.

Damien 21-12-2019 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36020791)
The percentage is determined by the charter. I don’t know offhand but for first-run drama I’ve a feeling it’s roughly half and half. That’s not to say the rest is imported - what the BBC doesn’t make in-house it commissions. This became a thing in the 1980s as a deliberate decision of Thatcher’s government to stimulate independent tv production in the UK.

He means co-productions like Fleabag I think. However in those cases the BBC typically just seeks out the funding alone and still is the original commissioner. The deal usually means that the other funding partner gets it for non-UK distribution. As far as I know the only partner who takes an active role in production itself is HBO.

Quote:

We have a vibrant film and TV production industry in the UK as a result. It doubtless helps that the BBC is such a massive commissioner of original programming, and of course it is able to do so because the licence fee guarantees it a large and reliable income to spend on such programming.[
The BBC and the National Theatre are big reasons why the UK has such a high amount of writers, directors and actors doing well both here and in America.