Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Landlines to be axed by 2025 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710321)

Paul 18-08-2021 23:54

Re: Landlines to be axed by 2025

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36090252)
You're assuming coverage from 4 operators.

I doubt there are many populated areas not covered by at least 2 operators, and probably 3, esp as pretty much any phone can make calls on 2G.

Since smart meters also use 2G, so its probably not going away quite yet.
Some operators have made announcements, and are shutting down 3G before 2G.

Quote:

Vodafone and EE have announced they will be shutting their 2G networks in 2025 and their 3G networks in 2022. What that means is that from 2023 only 3 and O2 will have 3G networks in the UK.
One operator failing is rare, two+ in the same area would be very rare (I dont think its ever happened).

Of course, a big enough disaster could take out multiple, but thats likely to be something affecting many many people, and other measures would get put in place.

RichardCoulter 19-08-2021 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36090233)
I’m seriously considering binning my entire BT service when it goes out of contract. Everything our family does now is via 4G, whether calls on our own mobiles or data via our SIM-powered router, which gives us about twice the speed of the nearest house so far connected to fibre (the line ends about 2 miles from us).

Could this not affect your business trade though? A friend who has a hotel considered scrapping her landline, but says that she fears losing repeat trade because, over the years, so many people only have her landline number. Losing just one nights booking a month would more than negate the saving on her BT line rental.

mrmistoffelees 19-08-2021 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36090280)
Could this not affect your business trade though? A friend who has a hotel considered scrapping her landline, but says that she fears losing repeat trade because, over the years, so many people only have her landline number. Losing just one nights booking a month would more than negate the saving on her BT line rental.

Numbers can be easily ported to VOIP providers.

Chris 19-08-2021 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36090280)

We stopped dealing with phone enquiries years ago - a benefit of being a small operator in a popular location is you can fill your rooms easily with online booking only.

Dude111 19-08-2021 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Landline are to be axed by 2025, in a country wide switch to digital.

Thats sad..... This digital crap is disgusting..... Then quality isnt as good and to me it doesnt sound as good.......

mrmistoffelees 19-08-2021 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36090348)
Thats sad..... This digital crap is disgusting..... Then quality isnt as good and to me it doesnt sound as good.......

I’m sorry ?? POTS is better than VOIP ??

BenMcr 19-08-2021 17:30

Quote:

As people move over to digital services providers can offer better voice quality.

It already happens with VoLTE on mobiles, and BT offer it between their Digital Voice between their own customers. Hopefully that will be co-ordinated to work between all UK landline providers.

Stephen 19-08-2021 17:58

Quote:

We know you have an obsession with old outdated analogue tech but a digital voice call is so much clearer and sounds much better than an old analogue one.

Digital has proved to be the better tech as more data can be transmitted versus the analogue version.

Chris 19-08-2021 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36090354)
As people move over to digital services providers can offer better voice quality.

It already happens with VoLTE on mobiles, and BT offer it between their Digital Voice between their own customers. Hopefully that will be co-ordinated to work between all UK landline providers.

You hear it when people phone in to radio shows now - rarely do you hear someone who actually sounds like they’re on a telephone any more. It’s quite confusing really, because you used to be able to tell who was an expert contributor to a programme, or a celebrity, and who was a mere civilian phoning in for a quiz or a dedication when only the ‘official’ participants got to sound as if they were on an ISDN line. :D

Hugh 19-08-2021 19:43

Quote:

Your statement does not have any contact with actuality.

cheekyangus 19-08-2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36090369)
Your statement does not have any contact with actuality.

Yeah, it's not Vinyl versus CD.

tweetiepooh 23-08-2021 12:42

Twisted pair copper to house for phones carries power so a simple phone can make calls in a power cut (or should). It's also "wired" to the wall so you know where to find it and it also supplies location to the emergency services so a 999 call then collapsing can still get help to you.

And I'm one of those who don't have a mobile (personal) and my work phone though better now has weak signal. We used to need a pico cell over the internet but now can make calls over wifi but neither of those would work in a power cut.

Hom3r 26-08-2021 14:32

The phones in my last job switched to VOIP, the downside was in a power cut, or the network goes down you can make zero phone calls, including 999.

It happened a few times, and even when it was up, the audio quality was crap.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

IIRC operators will allow each other to use their towers, this will save a fortune in building new towers.

Especially those in remote areas.

MikeyB 26-08-2021 15:00

Had an email from BT a few days ago saying that my phone service is changing to digital voice, it should start within 48 hours of 2nd Sept 2021.

They recommend that you buy a new Essential (£39.99) or Advanced (£44.99) digital home phone, obviously so you can spend a bit more with them.
Then goes on to say you can continue to use your existing phone by simply plugging it into the phone port on the back of the BT Hub, which is what I shall be doing!

jb66 26-08-2021 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyB (Post 36091034)
Had an email from BT a few days ago saying that my phone service is changing to digital voice, it should start within 48 hours of 2nd Sept 2021.

They recommend that you buy a new Essential (£39.99) or Advanced (£44.99) digital home phone, obviously so you can spend a bit more with them.
Then goes on to say you can continue to use your existing phone by simply plugging it into the phone port on the back of the BT Hub, which is what I shall be doing!

What if you dont use the BT smarthub as your router, what is there solution there?