Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The 5p bag charges... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701581)

Arthurgray50@blu 13-10-2015 17:28

The 5p bag charges...

I cannot find a link to this.

Regarding the 5p charge on plastic bags. I hear today that the charge of 5p charge is illegal - has anyone else heard of that

AND NO THIS IS NOT A GO AT THE TORIES. Its the most ludicrous charge going. I went into Ryman's today and was going to be charge for a small bag for two Biros.

Also found out that IF the bag has a logo - ie TESCO on the bag its classed as ADVERTISING and therefore a charge should not be made

I bet that if a shop is losing customers because of it, we already have customers taking home baskets or trollies home they will be arrested for theft. I can see shops challenging this in a court of law

Hugh 13-10-2015 17:30

Re: Has the Government made a Boob boob

Oh my god!

5p!

Why didn't you just put the biros in your pocket?

rhyds 13-10-2015 17:41

Its absolutely hilarious to see England getting all het up and confused about charging for carrier bags.

heero_yuy 13-10-2015 17:42

As the rules for posting in this area of the forum require a link or a member may request the OP to provide one this is just rumour and supposition. :rolleyes:

And why shouldn't you pay for a bag that you patently didn't need?

Paul 13-10-2015 17:46

Another stupid idea.

Quite irritating that you now end up with a bunch of small change because things that were xx.99p are now zz.04p

Kabaal 13-10-2015 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35803302)
Another stupid idea.

Quite irritating that you now end up with a bunch of small change because things that were xx.99p are now zz.04p

Cash is so last century.

We've had it up here for a while now and isn't a problem, everyone just brings their own bags when doing things like food shopping.

Paul 13-10-2015 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35803306)
Cash is so last century.

As are such useless remarks. Cash will be here for a long while yet.

Gary L 13-10-2015 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35803297)
Oh my god!

5p!

Why didn't you just put the birds in your pocket?

Biros!

if in the budget the whole country cheers and has a party when the government make a big announcement about not putting 1p on the price of petrol. I can see why the country is on the brink of rioting over 5p for a bag.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35803302)
Another stupid idea.

You don't have to buy a bag.
would the 99p thing fit in your pocket. or at least in your hand till you got to the car?

denphone 13-10-2015 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35803309)
As are such useless remarks. Cash will be here for a long while yet.

Yes our family use cash 99% of the time and that will continue as long as cash is still legal tender.

heero_yuy 13-10-2015 18:20

I don't see any problem: If you want to go shopping take a bag. I use the bags for life at the local supermarket. No charge and better for the planet.

denphone 13-10-2015 18:23

We have been buying those bags for life for years and if one breaks we just take it back when we go shopping and they give us a new one.

Pierre 13-10-2015 19:42

I don't understand the issue.

why are people getting so wound up?

if you go shopping and you haven't got a bag, then buy a bag.

Why on earth should bags be free?

In the list of things to get wound up about, this is no. 1,898,877.

Stephen 13-10-2015 19:59

I find it hilarious that all my English friends on FB and people on here are getting so so worked up about bag charges.

Up in Scotland we have had this for what feels like forever now. Its really simple either pay 5p for single use bags or buy 10p 'bags for life' and reuse them. We always take some with us and it took a bit of getting used to remembering them.

But its amazing how much people in England are whinging about it or moaning. Its really not a big deal and its all in aid of helping the environment which is a good a reason as any to just get on with it.

buying a few biros why do you even need a bag?? buying a loaf of bread and a bottle of milk, again carry it. No need for a bag at all.

adzii_nufc 13-10-2015 20:12

Re: The 5p bag charges...

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6c&oe=568C1FFC

I assume this is his source, found it doing the rounds on Facebook. Read it but honestly I can't really give less of a crap about 5p bags. I switched from the likes of Asda and Tesco to Aldi and Lidl a while ago, money wasn't a factor, we just wanted to try alternatives. Personally find Morrisons fresh goods counters to be pretty damn good as well as Lidl's bakery bit.

Anyway the point being, I was paying for bags in Lidl and Aldi anyway :dozey:

If anyone would like to punch a whole through the article then do so. If anyone would like to confirm they have broken the law then also do so. My outcome is the same.

Upon reflecting on my post and assuming it's correct.. then Aldi and Lidl have been doing this for years. Bags for life have a logo on? Sports Direct.. this all seems like a load of crap then.

Osem 13-10-2015 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35803297)
Oh my god!

5p!

Why didn't you just put the biros in your pocket?

Well due to the Tory cuts all his pockets have got holes in them. :D

I don't know anyone who's whingeing about this. Anyway I couldn't care less, we've been carrying our own reusable bags for many years. It's really not that difficult and for those who forget, well 5p isn't likely to break the bank is it.