Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709333)

RobboEdin 17-11-2020 09:10

Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36058503)
So it's official (from VM staff on the VM Community forums) that 360 software is being trialled on V6 hardware.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...4485805/page/2

... and, of course, the most important information in that post is that you can have multiple Horizon boxes with storage.

Mythica 17-11-2020 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36058513)
... and, of course, the most important information in that post is that you can have multiple Horizon boxes with storage.

I don't see that information anywhere? You can have multiple V6 boxes with Horizon software. Unless that's what you mean?.

1andrew1 17-11-2020 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36058520)
I don't see that information anywhere? You can have multiple V6 boxes with Horizon software. Unless that's what you mean?.

From the VM Forum:
Quote:

I don’t think I’m giving anything away now as it’s been announced but, pending successful trials, from next year any existing customers with 2 x V6 boxes will be able to upgrade them to 360 over the air and keep the entire 2TB storage across both boxes.
It will just be a software update pushed over the network. So customers with two V6s can retain them both and their combined 2Tb storage; they won't be asked to send back one of their V6s.

Mythica 17-11-2020 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36058521)
From the VM Forum:

It will just be a software update pushed over the network. So customers with two V6s can retain them both and their combined 2Tb storage; they won't be asked to send back one of their V6s.

Yeah that's what I was linking to, the official source. It might be a bit pedantic, but it doesn't say multiple Horizon boxes.

RobboEdin 17-11-2020 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36058528)
Yeah that's what I was linking to, the official source. It might be a bit pedantic, but it doesn't say multiple Horizon boxes.

I referred to a V6 with Horizon software as a Horizon box.
I’ve seen no proof that there is other than one hardware platform - the V6 box, which can run either TiVo or Horizon software.

Mythica 17-11-2020 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36058551)
I referred to a V6 with Horizon software as a Horizon box.
I’ve seen no proof that there is other than one hardware platform - the V6 box, which can run either TiVo or Horizon software.

The 360 box? Otherwise why are they trialling Horizon software on the V6 box, if that's all the 360 box is.

So is the 360 box exactly the same as the V6 box but different software? If that's the case, why was the people on Ultimate oomph bundle offered a downgrade when the offer first came about.

spiderplant 17-11-2020 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36058551)

There are 3 boxes:
Arris boxes: Can run either TiVo or Horizon software
Humax boxes (with or without a harddrive): Can only run Horizon software

cheekyangus 17-11-2020 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36058555)
There are 3 boxes:

Thanks for that. Much appreciated spiderplant.

RobboEdin 17-11-2020 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36058555)
There are 3 boxes:

Thanks. Very clear.

ozsat 21-11-2020 17:51

Something I've just noticed is a lot of the air dates are wrong on Horizon.

Only Fools and Horses for the episode on now (Ser 6 Ep 1) says 8th Jan 1989 on TiVo - which is correct.

Horizon says the same episode is actually from 2002.

About half of the episodes of just this series are way out. I'm sure there are many more.

biddy 24-11-2020 16:21

Not sure if this is old news but I just got an email from Virgin telling me I'm ready to upgrade to TV 360 at no extra cost. "It's super easy to upgrade your Virgin TV V6 box and you can do it sitting on your sofa in a matter of minutes. All you need is our genius new remote which we'll pop in the post for you.

So it looks like we do get to keep the old V6's and have the new software.

OLD BOY 24-11-2020 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by biddy (Post 36059538)
Not sure if this is old news but I just got an email from Virgin telling me I'm ready to upgrade to TV 360 at no extra cost. "It's super easy to upgrade your Virgin TV V6 box and you can do it sitting on your sofa in a matter of minutes. All you need is our genius new remote which we'll pop in the post for you.

So it looks like we do get to keep the old V6's and have the new software.

Indeed, we do. But do we keep our existing recordings and bookmarks, that is the question!

jfman 24-11-2020 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36059539)
Indeed, we do. But do we keep our existing recordings and bookmarks, that is the question!

No.

Quote:

Enjoy your recordings before you swap
Unfortunately your recordings and settings won’t be transferred to your new TV when you upgrade. But there’s still time to watch before you swap. Some programmes will be available to watch again on Catch Up or On Demand (depending on which TV pack you have) and you’ll find loads more to get hooked on in no time.

Dave42 24-11-2020 16:30

ordered my upgrade here

biddy 24-11-2020 16:30

ah right. I'll not bother with the "upgrade" then.

Thanks for that info. I can barely read the small print.

Mad Max 24-11-2020 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36059542)
ordered my upgrade here

Where? :D

ozsat 24-11-2020 16:45

They should not really be calling it an "upgrade".

TV360 is a replacement to your existing service with some of the main current V6 features coming in the future.

muppetman11 24-11-2020 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36059539)

Being that there is nothing worth watching on TV Channels surely you can't have that much recorded.;)

OLD BOY 24-11-2020 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36059547)
Being that there is nothing worth watching on TV Channels surely you can't have that much recorded.;)

Funnily enough, I was just saying the same thing to my wife. Most of the programmes on ‘My Shows’ are actually bookmarks for the streamers, which is not too much of a problem because I can at least list them, and re-establish them on the new system (if it allows bookmarks, that is).

There are not that many recordings I am concerned about really - just a few that I have not got around to watching yet. I’ll blitz them over the New Year to get rid of them before I make the change.

I also want to wait until they’ve sorted out the series link issue. I hope they do that quickly.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36059541)
No.

Thank you. At least we know now.

djs9750 24-11-2020 18:40

Quick question - does anyone know what would happen if you still have a Tivo box. We have 2 x V6 and 1 x Tivo. I assume the Tivo will not be updated like the V6, so would it have to be replaced by the new multi room box.

fox35 25-11-2020 11:24

I signed for this yesterday. The confirmation email states that I will receive just the new 360 Remote in the post within 7 days with instructions on how to download the NEW software to my box. So, Its the current V6 box just with a new Horizon software download and new 360 Remote.

Hugh 25-11-2020 12:14

I got the email - probably won’t be doing it until they can transfer recordings, as SWMBO usually has around 20-30 to watch at any one time.

Joedm45 25-11-2020 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36059628)
I got the email - probably won’t be doing it until they can transfer recordings, as SWMBO usually has around 20-30 to watch at any one time.

I'll be waiting too. It seems there are too many bugs at the moment.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread for when things improve.

RobboEdin 25-11-2020 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedm45 (Post 36059639)
I'll be waiting too. It seems there are too many bugs at the moment.

I'll keep a close eye on this thread for when things improve.

It’s not a matter of bugs. It’s lack of function when compared to TiVo on the V6.

denphone 25-11-2020 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36059641)
It’s not a matter of bugs. It’s lack of function when compared to TiVo on the V6.

+1

cheekyangus 25-11-2020 15:29

+2

Raider999 25-11-2020 16:36

Sounds like Virgin have done the same as Sky - develop a new interface and leave out a lot of functions that people used.

muppetman11 25-11-2020 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36059657)
Sounds like Virgin have done the same as Sky - develop a new interface and leave out a lot of functions that people used.

I've had Q since launch not really missed much from Sky+ and certainly wouldn't go back to it.

Inactive Digital 25-11-2020 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36059657)

Instead of paying Tivo for the "original" Tivo Inc licences, they will be paying Liberty Global a software licence instead. Of course with that comes different/removed functionality. It remains to be seen whether they are still paying Tivo for any of the ex-Rovi patent licences (I believe Skay have an agreement in this area) - VM and Rovi had quite a legal history that VM came out on top of.

BenMcr 25-11-2020 19:52

Rovi and TiVo are the same company now

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

What I meant by that is the combined company may have different priorities around patent licences compared with the version that pre-LG Virgin Media had an issue with

Inactive Digital 25-11-2020 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36059691)
Rovi and TiVo are the same company now

Yep, Rovi bought Tivo and took on the name. IIRC virgin have UK exclusivity to the ex-Tivo patents, whereas Sky have a non-exclusive agreement with Tivo for the Rovi patent licences.

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 23:05

It's being assumed that, when the VM agreement expires, that ALL customers will have to have this 360 box.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/new...2324252/page-2

From the information i've collated, this means (please correct any errors or ommisions).

The downsides:

- You cannot record radio or select radio with a channel number.

- Upon changing the box or software on your existing box, you lose all your recordings.

- You lose all your series links. Any new Series Links created have to be done on each and every channel that you think the programme will be broadcast on; you cannot set it to check every channel as you can currently.

- There is no Wishlist function.

- Those with more than one V6 box can keep them, but I believe that new customers are limited to one box with a HDD and, therefore, 1TB of recording capacity.

- If you delete a programme because you've changed your mind or have watched it, it will record it again!

- You cannot recover deleted programmes.

-The TV channel will no longer store 90 minutes in the background while you watch a recorded program (although if you pause a live channel it will store up to 3 hours, but this 3 hours will be lost as soon as you watch a recorded program).

-The TV channel list only shows icons of channels, you can no longer change this to text, making channels hard to identify.

- The search function is no longer universal.

- You have to pay a further Netflix subscription if you want to see it on your TV.

- It's supposed to be free, but some are reporting that they have been charged a one off fee of £15.50.

The upsides:

- HDR capabiliy (but doesn't the V6 already have this capability)?

- A free box for multi room as standard (but this usually won't have a HDD).

paul0363 27-11-2020 23:14

Not sure what you mean by a further Netflix sub to see it on your TV??

I'm not paying anything different for Netflix than I was with my V6 and have access to it as normal across all three of my 360's (main and minis). I can "see it on my TVs" just fine :) (either using the 360 app or the TV built in app)

RichardCoulter 27-11-2020 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0363 (Post 36060071)
Not sure what you mean by a further Netflix sub to see it on your TV??

I'm not paying anything different for Netflix than I was with my V6 and have access to it as normal across all three of my 360's (main and minis). I can "see it on my TVs" just fine :) (both using the 360 app or the TV built in app)

It's been said by another forum member that he had to take out two subscriptions in order to watch Netflix on his TV as well as his other devices. Glad this isn't correct, especially considering that Sky are currently offering Netflix for £3.50 a month!

How come you ended up with three? Did you previously have two V6's and were then sent another box without a HDD, or is it possible to order extra boxes on top of the standard two? If so, how much extra did this cost?

Hugh 27-11-2020 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36060074)
It's been said by another forum member that he had to take out two subscriptions in order to watch Netflix on his TV as well as his other devices. Glad this isn't correct, especially considering that Sky are currently offering Netflix for £3.50 a month!

How come you ended up with three? Did you previously have two V6's and were then sent another box without a HDD, or is it possible to order extra boxes on top of the standard two? If so, how much extra did this cost?

Richard, we watch Netflix on our Smart TV, my iPad Pro, my Android phone, my PC, the Fire Stick in our bedroom TV, the Fire Stick in the guest bedroom TV, my son’s TV in his flat, and my daughter’s TV in her lounge - no additional subscriptions required (they all have their own log-ins to my subscription).

paul0363 27-11-2020 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36060074)

I had 3 V6s on Ultimate Oomph and was invited to swap in the first round a couple of months back. I've now got a main 360 and 2 minis. The recording space wasn't an issue for us as we barely used the space on one of the V6's let alone 750 hours worth of HD across three! Profiles are a boon for us (each person can have their own list of channels ordered how they like and pause points in recordings are remembered per person) as we have two teenagers who watch their own stuff (and use catch up and streaming as recording is, according to them, "old fashoined"!!!).

Changing to the 360 platform didn't cost us any extra (and I don't pay the headline Oomph price even with three boxes as I negotiated a deal)

Despite what some others see as negatives we actually quite like the 360 (it's on a par with SkyQ which we had a few years back with the adavntage of 4K on all the boxes). The interface is less "clunky" than the V6 and while I don't use the voice control much the kids use it as their preferred method of controling the boxes (you can do *a lot* with voice - things like "go back xx mins" or "recordings" etc.)

I don't think one system is better than the other, they're just different. As I said, this isn't too different to SkyQ which is where Virgin's main competition lies. Some people will like it (we do) and some people won't - there's no pleasing everyone :)

RichardCoulter 28-11-2020 00:46

I think that those who like to record everything (like me) won't like it, because most of the downsides are related to recording. Those who like to watch live TV or use streaming (popular with younger people) will probably find it better.

I believe that All4 and My5 are missing, as well as some apps that are on the V6, but i'm sure they'll come in time.

If I were happy to stream material, I personally wouldn't bother paying VM for TV. You might as well use Freesat and/or Freeview and dip in and out of Now TV as and when you need it for the pay and free channel VOD content with streaming sticks. Most people no longer use their landline, so that just leaves BB to pay for.

I can see why profiles would be useful for you though and voice control is great for some disabled and sight impaired people.

The no no for me is not being able to record radio. Does the 360 have QuickView, as this is one thing that I really like about the V6? If not, then VM lose their USP and it's time to move on.

I've been asking about Sky Q and you can record radio on it as it has a full EPG, but it doesn't have Series Links. One workaround is to set reoccurring recordings.

The thing is I am now in a 17 month contract. I'll be happy to honour this and possibly stay even longer, but it's now being said that all customers will have to go onto the 360 when the VM contract with TiVo ends. If this is during the next 17 months i'll have to get legal advice to see if I can get out of the contract by claiming that this amounts to a significant material change to what I signed up for, if this doesn't work i'll look into the consequences of cancelling the direct debit, breaching my contract and moving to Sky Q, but I doubt it will come to this tbh.

paul0363 28-11-2020 01:21

The 360 doesn't have Quick View (not something I used on the V6 - didn't like watching things at the wrong speed!!).

SkyQ certainly had series links when we had it though (unless you mean just for radio??). I've never recorded radio on any platform so I couldn't tell you if it series linked radio or not.

As for All4 and My5 - the apps are missing but most of the catch up content is there (you can access it on most channels by scrolling back in the EPG or going to catch up and selecting All4/My5 from the drop down).

That's one more thing that I forgot to mention about the 360 - a lot (but not yet all) channels allow you to catch up simply by scrolling back in the EPG. For example if you miss the news on Channel 4 (or Bake Off or whatever) you can simply scroll back and select the programme and it will play from the begining (solves the issue on most channels of a programme not buffering on the disc whilst watching a recording) - you can then scroll through/pause/rewind etc. as normal. Channel 4 catch up is also in HD (All4 was only SD IIRC). You can scroll back for about a month dependent on the channel. The BBC is the exception in that scrolling back and selecting pushes you to iPlayer.

Also the icons instead of text - the icons are pretty big. We've had no issues telling what the channels are!

As for SKyQ - it has its own idiosyncrasies. The one that irked me was that you could not control how 4:3 content was handled on SD channels - everything was in "stretch-o-vision" with the black bars removed (HD channels tend to be pillar boxed at source for 4:3). All the Virgin boxes (including the 360) allow you the option of pillar boxing and keeping the aspect ratio correct or stretching to fill the screen.

However, at the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice and what system fits your needs better. As I said in my previous post, no current platform is "better" than another, they're just different and suit different people with different needs. You just need to choose the one that's the closest match to your own particular set of requirements :)

RichardCoulter 28-11-2020 02:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0363 (Post 36060098)
The 360 doesn't have Quick View (not something I used on the V6 - didn't like watching things at the wrong speed!!).

SkyQ certainly had series links when we had it though (unless you mean just for radio??). I've never recorded radio on any platform so I couldn't tell you if it series linked radio or not.

As for All4 and My5 - the apps are missing but most of the catch up content is there (you can access it on most channels by scrolling back in the EPG or going to catch up and selecting All4/My5 from the drop down).

That's one more thing that I forgot to mention about the 360 - a lot (but not yet all) channels allow you to catch up simply by scrolling back in the EPG. For example if you miss the news on Channel 4 (or Bake Off or whatever) you can simply scroll back and select the programme and it will play from the begining (solves the issue on most channels of a programme not buffering on the disc whilst watching a recording) - you can then scroll through/pause/rewind etc. as normal. Channel 4 catch up is also in HD (All4 was only SD IIRC). You can scroll back for about a month dependent on the channel. The BBC is the exception in that scrolling back and selecting pushes you to iPlayer.

Also the icons instead of text - the icons are pretty big. We've had no issues telling what the channels are!

As for SKyQ - it has its own idiosyncrasies. The one that irked me was that you could not control how 4:3 content was handled on SD channels - everything was in "stretch-o-vision" with the black bars removed (HD channels tend to be pillar boxed at source for 4:3). All the Virgin boxes (including the 360) allow you the option of pillar boxing and keeping the aspect ratio correct or stretching to fill the screen.

However, at the end of the day, it's all down to personal choice and what system fits your needs better. As I said in my previous post, no current platform is "better" than another, they're just different and suit different people with different needs. You just need to choose the one that's the closest match to your own particular set of requirements :)

Exactly right. Thanks for letting me know about Quickview, i'm definitely moving to Sky Q then, no matter what they offer me to stay as 360 isn't for me.

Does anyone know for definite when the TiVo contract with VM ends?

According to this, a new contract was signed about 3 years ago. A four year contract would be cutting it a bit fine to put everyone onto 360, so I bet it ends after five years in October 2022. My contract will end in about May 2022, so i'll have to either pay full price for five months or go to Sky five months early.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2017...ews-tivo-deal/

fox35 28-11-2020 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36059686)
Instead of paying Tivo for the "original" Tivo Inc licences, they will be paying Liberty Global a software licence instead.

Why would VM pay Liberty Global? Virgin Media IS Liberty Global. Liberty Global PAY Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Virgin Media is just the brand name LG chose to continue to use under licence from the Virgin Group in the the UK and Eire. As discussed earlier, LG will also still have to pay TiVo/ROVI for elements of patented tech used in its Horizon software, similarly to Sky for software within its Sky+/Q and nearly all other PVR manufacturers which all use TiVo patents.

1andrew1 28-11-2020 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36060108)
Why would VM pay Liberty Global? Virgin Media IS Liberty Global. Liberty Global PAY Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
Virgin Media is just the brand name LG chose to continue to use under licence from the Virgin Group in the the UK and Eire. As discussed earlier, LG will also still have to pay TiVo/ROVI for elements of patented tech used in its Horizon software, similarly to Sky for software within its Sky+/Q and nearly all other PVR manufacturers which all use TiVo patents.

Liberty Global's software arm is an independent entity from Virgin Media. So there will be a payment from VM for its services. There are clear benefits to this - one being if you sell the software or ISP businesses, you know the true costs of running that business which we would be more opaque if you didn't agree a charge.

At the moment, both entities are indeed 100% owned by Liberty Global but next year, VM UK will only be 50% owned by Liberty Global, 50% Telefonica. The licencing fees will still continue then.

jfman 28-11-2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36060109)
Liberty Global's software arm is an independent entity from Virgin Media. So there will be a payment from VM for its services. There are clear benefits to this - one being if you sell the software or ISP businesses, you know the true costs of running that business which we would be more opaque if you didn't agree a charge.

At the moment, both entities are indeed 100% owned by Liberty Global but next year, VM UK will only be 50% owned by Liberty Global, 50% Telefonica. The licencing fees will still continue then.

The obvious reason to ‘charge’ other entities where you are within the same umbrella is tax ‘efficiency’. The other is to make it easier to sell constituent parts off at a later date.

On a separate note my shiny new remote is due on Tuesday.

Inactive Digital 28-11-2020 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36060108)

Although LG owns VM, they are still separate companies. Liberty Global own the software and pay for the Horizon development, patent licences etc. So if Virgin Media don't pay LG in return, there's then a hole in LG's accounts. As jfman also says, if the LG company that owns the Horizon software is based in a lower tax jurisdiction, all the better for John Malone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36060109)

Another good reason why VM pay LG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36060113)
The obvious reason to ‘charge’ other entities where you are within the same umbrella is tax ‘efficiency’. The other is to make it easier to sell constituent parts off at a later date.

On a separate note my shiny new remote is due on Tuesday.

It sounds like the 360 is more similar to Sky Q than Tivo in terms of functionality. There were a few features I really missed when I switched to Q: mainly wishlists and 14 day EPG (which I still miss 4 years later!)

1andrew1 28-11-2020 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0363 (Post 36060098)

That's a feature that YouView introduced ten years ago which I thought more companies would copy. It's a really good way to access a programme quickly if you know approximately when it was on.

Chris James 28-11-2020 10:39

If you have two V6 boxes at the moment, are you able to just update one of them to Horizon? You would then get the best of both worlds and not be losing existing recordings.

RobboEdin 28-11-2020 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris James (Post 36060126)
If you have two V6 boxes at the moment, are you able to just update one of them to Horizon? You would then get the best of both worlds and not be losing existing recordings.

No, it’s all or nothing.

heavyside 28-11-2020 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 36060128)
No, it’s all or nothing.

That's what I understood. Any updating process takes place over both (or all) V6 boxes. VM send a new remote control for each box in a household.

Chris James 28-11-2020 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36060140)
That's what I understood. Any updating process takes place over both (or all) V6 boxes. VM send a new remote control for each box in a household.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think unplugging one box whilst the other updates would work or would it update the box as soon as it was plugged back in, or worse, not work at all?

RobboEdin 28-11-2020 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris James (Post 36060157)
Thanks for the replies. Do you think unplugging one box whilst the other updates would work or would it update the box as soon as it was plugged back in, or worse, not work at all?

Give up. You’re simply not going to get what you want.
When you go for the migration, there are changes to your account.

Bob 28-11-2020 18:30

Quick one. My parents decided to make the switch and did so online but have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. Are they supposed to get an email?

RobboEdin 28-11-2020 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36060179)
Quick one. My parents decided to make the switch and did so online but have yet to receive any sort of confirmation. Are they supposed to get an email?

Check My Virginmedia for an order.

Bob 28-11-2020 18:36

Ah never knew that existed. Not been a Virgin customer for many years. Cheers @RobboEdin. Coming Wednesday.

jfman 01-12-2020 13:54

Remote control has arrived! Upgrade should take 30 mins apparently.

heavyside 01-12-2020 14:06

I took up the offer to upgrade my two V6 boxes to TV 360 a week ago shortly after I received the email from Virgin Media. I confirmed I was the account holder and clicked the upgrade button and was taken through to a page that stated that I would receive a confirmation and that new remote controls for my boxes would be sent to me and to allow seven days for everything to be put in place by Virgin Media.

Since then... nothing, no confirmation email and no new remotes. I checked my orders on My Virgin Media but there is nothing listed there. Is this normal or has something gone awry?

denphone 01-12-2020 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36060498)

l await your review.:)

jfman 01-12-2020 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36060508)
l await your review.:)

Well it didn't take 30 minutes. Took about ten at most. It looks quite slick and is responsive. I'm convinced my box is noisier though. It doesn't allow an 'always on' eco function but the longest period is 24 hours which I suppose is essentially the same thing. :)

Will have a closer look later.

Dave42 01-12-2020 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36060498)

getting mine later between 7:30 and 9:30

Bob 01-12-2020 14:48

Yep my parents received the remotes today. And it only took about 10 mins to upgrade. They are no experts so I doubt I'll get very much meaningful feedback from them haha!

spiderplant 01-12-2020 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36060512)
I'm convinced my box is noisier though.

Can you tell whether it's fan or HDD noise?

jfman 01-12-2020 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36060549)
Can you tell whether it's fan or HDD noise?

I switched it off at the mains and back on which appears to have done the trick. It sounded more like the fan than HDD to me.

Dave42 01-12-2020 21:17

all setup here all fine update took about 10 minutes

iadom 01-12-2020 21:18

Got my remotes for 2 V6 boxes today. Updated in about 10 minutes. Generally I like it, tbh I make very few recordings unlike my missus who records huge amounts, so losing them hasn’t impacted on me. :D

Definitely much faster, all of the sports channels entered into my profile, job done.:cool:

One strange thing I have just noticed, the indicator light on our second box is showing light blue/white as it did before but the light on our main box is off completely?

ozsat 02-12-2020 04:33

Do they both have the same ECO setting?

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36060612)
One strange thing I have just noticed, the indicator light on our second box is showing light blue/white as it did before but the light on our main box is off completely?

fox35 02-12-2020 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36060622)

The lights on my 2 boxes are white, whilst turned on as before, but a dimmed almost dark blue in Active standby. Is that normal?

heavyside 02-12-2020 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36060501)
I took up the offer to upgrade my two V6 boxes to TV 360 a week ago shortly after I received the email from Virgin Media. I confirmed I was the account holder and clicked the upgrade button and was taken through to a page that stated that I would receive a confirmation and that new remote controls for my boxes would be sent to me and to allow seven days for everything to be put in place by Virgin Media.

Since then... nothing, no confirmation email and no new remotes. I checked my orders on My Virgin Media but there is nothing listed there. Is this normal or has something gone awry?

All's well that ends well. This morning I finally got my confirmation email and my new remotes are due to arrive this Saturday.

BenMcr 02-12-2020 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox35 (Post 36060625)
The lights on my 2 boxes are white, whilst turned on as before, but a dimmed almost dark blue in Active standby. Is that normal?

Yes that's normal for the higher standby option.

I think the light goes off completely when it's in the deep 'Eco start' option and does that after the standby timer, but I'll need to remind myself if that's true or not.

---------- Post added at 09:25 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

The help content for the 360 box is now available on the Virgin website

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

iadom 02-12-2020 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36060622)

They used to have the same eco settings and the light turned red when in sleep mode. Last night the light on one box was off completely even though the box was fully functional.
I decided to see what they were like this morning, one box now with blue light, the other still off completely.

I did a hard reboot of this box, yellow light came on, got the welcome screen, then please wait screen then the light turned blue and screen went blank. Pressed the power button on the remote and box came on fully and light turned white. Unlike the TiVo box it seems to have rebooted into standby. Pressing the power button turned box off and light went blue.

Will check the eco settings of both later.:)

iadom 02-12-2020 12:32

Weird, both boxes have the same eco settings, 'Active On'.

They are now both fully on and working fine, good picture etc. but the light has once again gone off on one box whilst it has stayed on white on the other???

Switching the first box On/Off with the remote has no effect on the light, it is now permanently off even though the box is working perfectly.

iadom 02-12-2020 13:37

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36060637)

[/COLOR]The help content for the 360 box is now available on the Virgin website

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

Spotted some glaring errors on the first page I looked at.:rolleyes:

The On/Off switch is the only one they have managed to get correct.

BenMcr 02-12-2020 14:03

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36060685)
Spotted some glaring errors on the first page I looked at.:rolleyes:

The On/Off switch is the only one they have managed to get correct.

Ah yes see what you mean!

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-box#tab1

Bob 02-12-2020 14:32

Something else I spotted was that on the overview of the remote control they fail to point out the profile button (one of this platform's defining new features)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...-tv-remote#360

iadom 02-12-2020 14:46

Read a good bit of it but can’t find any mention of the indicator light going off completely?

fox35 02-12-2020 15:02

Well after 24 hrs use of the new 360 Horizon software, I am not 100% sold on it. Yes, it looks good with a modern, clean and slick looking UI but is most certainly let down by functionality issues or lack of, which are most important to me, mainly the Series Link+, Bookmarks in My Shows and a proper Search across all platforms, linear and streaming. The Profiles function I can do without and the Voice gimmick is just that! So, based on this I would not recommend and clearly see it as a backward step until such issues are reimplemented. Is it possible to roll back to the V6 Tivo software?

BenMcr 02-12-2020 15:08

No, it's not possible to rollback as far as I know as there are both account and hardware changes as part of the move to the 360 service.

The changes between the services was highlighted as part of both this current sign up option and the previous one where physical swaps occured, so that everyone changing were making an informed choice.

Watchlists are the equivalent to the Bookmarks on the V6 platform and appear on their own screen in the 'Saved' area.

Prime Video search is on it's way (not sure exactly when) but Netflix have changed their view on integrated search since they allowed on TiVo:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5.../4488701#M1178

Improvements to the Series functions are also on their way

iadom 02-12-2020 15:23

One thing I can’t find which TiVo had, how much HDD space was used/free.

BenMcr 02-12-2020 15:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36060699)
One thing I can’t find which TiVo had, how much HDD space was used/free.

Press Home > Saved > Recordings > See all.

There is a percentage indicator in there.

denphone 02-12-2020 15:31

From what l hear on here from several forum members l would rather the devil l know then rather then the devil l don't know currently.

That view might change in time but it might be a while before it does.

iadom 02-12-2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36060700)
Press Home > Saved > Recordings > See all.

There is a percentage indicator in there.

Thanks.:cool:

cheekyangus 02-12-2020 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36060698)
Prime Video search is on it's way (not sure exactly when) but Netflix have changed their view on integrated search since they allowed on TiVo:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5.../4488701#M1178

Well that's a shame, but I'm not surprised, the iPlayer integration doesn't work as well as it used to so it's probably a trend. Thanks BenMcr.

BenMcr 02-12-2020 17:17

In what way for iPlayer?

As far as I know the same search options for BBC content are on 360 as on the TiVo based boxes - with the same search limitation at the moment i.e. it'll link to shows currently in the EPG but not the additional box sets that the iPlayer has.

Searching for 'His Dark Materials' shows that. Series 2 is available via iPlayer linked from the show listing. Series 1 shows as being in the Virgin Store. Same on 360 as V6.

'Watch from Start' on 360 on BBC channels links to the iPlayer live restart option too - which it doesn't on the TiVo/V6.

cheekyangus 02-12-2020 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36060714)
In what way for iPlayer?

As far as I know the same search options for BBC content are on 360 as on the TiVo based boxes - with the same search limitation at the moment i.e. it'll link to shows currently in the EPG but not the additional box sets that the iPlayer has.

Searching for 'His Dark Materials' shows that. Series 2 is available via iPlayer linked from the show listing. Series 1 shows as being in the Virgin Store. Same on 360 as V6.

'Watch from Start' on 360 on BBC channels links to the iPlayer live restart option too - which it doesn't on the TiVo/V6.

Sorry BenMcr. I was stupid enough to not realise that this being a TV360 thread I needed to be more specific in my wording. I probably should've not posted at all. What I said was in reference to how well the iPlayer app integrates on Tivo-based boxes now compared to how it used to when I first used these features, it's intermittent these days with adding streaming content on iPlayer on SL+. I don't have a Horizon-based box.

Sorry. :erm: :(

Itshim 02-12-2020 18:39

Having read the posts here" .if it ain't broke don't fix it" same to be the maxim !

BenMcr 02-12-2020 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36060728)
Sorry BenMcr. I was stupid enough to not realise that this being a TV360 thread I needed to be more specific in my wording. I probably should've not posted at all. What I said was in reference to how well the iPlayer app integrates on Tivo-based boxes now compared to how it used to when I first used these features, it's intermittent these days with adding streaming content on iPlayer on SL+. I don't have a Horizon-based box.

Sorry. :erm: :(

No worries. No point being on a discussion forum without discussing things ;)

fox35 02-12-2020 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36060729)
Having read the posts here" .if it ain't broke don't fix it" same to be the maxim !

Post of the day!

Raider999 02-12-2020 20:06

Interesting, I recall reading somewhere in this thread that new customers will be given the new software box - limited to 1 x1Tb box whereas current customers with 2 V6 boxes can have 2 x 1Tb boxes.

If this is correct, it will not be a good selling point to new customers who are in the know.

Itshim 02-12-2020 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36060729)
Having read the posts here" .if it ain't broke don't fix it" seems to be the maxim !

sorry typo the word should be seems!!!!!

iadom 02-12-2020 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 36060681)
Weird, both boxes have the same eco settings, 'Active On'.

They are now both fully on and working fine, good picture etc. but the light has once again gone off on one box whilst it has stayed on white on the other???

Switching the first box On/Off with the remote has no effect on the light, it is now permanently off even though the box is working perfectly.

Seems to be working now, the light had been off whilst the box was working this afternoon. It was switched off for a couple of hours, still no light showing.
A couple of hours later I switched back on and instead of going to the current TV channel the amber light came on, then the Welcome screen, then the please wait screen. Screen then went blank for couple of minutes then I noticed the light had turned blue.
Switched box on with power button and picture came on as did the white light. That stayed on for several hours and having just switched off is now showing blue standby light.

Not sure how but it seems to be fixed. :cool:

heavyside 03-12-2020 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36060714)

Series 1 is also available on iPlayer. I plan a binge-watch once both full series are available.

fox35 03-12-2020 07:45

Is there any user guide or tutorial on how to use this new system properly with its features? It would make the whole user experience more user friendly, instead of just been left to guess work and trial and error?
Why are some shows or series not even available to bookmark in the Watchlist?
Totally regret making the changeover now.

BenMcr 03-12-2020 09:04

current help is at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360

Harryn9000 03-12-2020 11:41

how do u currently upgrade your v6 is it a preview or it rolled out

jfman 03-12-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harryn9000 (Post 36060783)
how do u currently upgrade your v6 is it a preview or it rolled out

They’ve emailed some users offering the upgrade. You register and they post out a new remote and instructions to follow.

The upgrade (an option in ‘apps’) can’t be done without the new remote.

Tricky Trevor 03-12-2020 15:50

After the invitations by email, Virgin said in the press release that Oomph customers will be able to upgrade 'later this year'. Obviously,it's December now but I've seen nothing to order it online.

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...ing-experience

RichardCoulter 03-12-2020 15:59

Genuine question, but why are some so eager to upgrade to software that's inferior to the TiVo?

ozsat 03-12-2020 16:10

I have wonder that too at this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36060811)
Genuine question, but why are some so eager to upgrade to software that's inferior to the TiVo?

fox35 03-12-2020 16:19

Quote:

Your quite right. I wish I could swap it back.
It is most definitely an inferior product to TiVo. I advise everyone NOT to change over, you'll be sorry like me!

cheekyangus 03-12-2020 16:28

Quote:

Some people just like having new things, others only use the absolute basic functions so it makes no difference, some may desire a pretty interface more than a feature packed one.

My younger self would be very interested, but nowadays I'm in no rush. I've still got some equipment with user interfaces that look one step up from Teletext, but they offer me functionality I value that is no longer readily available.

I'm interested in tech (in general) still, so I keep tabs on what's what and ask questions in places like this.

Itshim 03-12-2020 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36060814)
I have wonder that too at this time.

Diffo way a earth would any one still want this .Based on the reviews here touch and bargepole comes to mind.

vincerooney 04-12-2020 02:47

I'm also completely puzzled why people have "upgraded" to this new box. Like why? This thread should be a warning to everyone that new isnt always better hahha

Skie 04-12-2020 20:36

Does it still record (buffer) other channels whilst watching another?