Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

Ignitionnet 27-06-2016 10:15

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

More volatility this morning. On the upside there's a flight to safety in UK gilts. We can borrow cash very, very, very cheaply.

On the downside trading in Barclays and RBS shares was suspended this morning.

RBS: 177.70 GBX Price decrease 27.60 (-13.44%)
Barclays PLC (BARC.L) 138.80 Down 15.10 (-9.81%)

EDIT: Snigger. Nothing gets past Boris.

EDIT 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boris
As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market.

The BDI have just confirmed they said no such thing regarding access to the single market. Going to have to start renaming him BS Boris.

RBMark 27-06-2016 10:28

Just went my local shop and they're selling 6 free range eggs, a loaf of robertsons bread, 2 litres of milk all three for £2.50. Brexit doesn't seem so bad. An I also found the 100% cold pressed pomegranate juice I pay £3.60 for 500ml for in a health food shop is £2.50 in ASDA.

heero_yuy 27-06-2016 10:37

We'll still have access to the markets of the 27 other EU nations, what's the big deal about the single market? If they put tarriffs on our goods then we put equal tarriffs on theirs. No win. no lose. :shrug: Bearing in mind that trade with the EU is less than ~7% of total UK trade (internal and external).

We should be looking outward to the rest of the world especially the commonwealth for trade instead of being so parochial.

Horizon 27-06-2016 10:38

Pound getting hammered, down almost 3%.

heero_yuy 27-06-2016 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35846172)
Pound getting hammered, down almost 3%.

Cheaper exports and our goods are more attractive.

3% is hardly hammered seeing as it's been up and down far more over the last few months.

denphone 27-06-2016 10:45

Well no one knows what the future holds in terms of prices as its still too early to predict what will happen further down the road.

Ignitionnet 27-06-2016 10:48

Merkel's spokesman rejects "informal" exit talks before Britain files formal notice of leaving the EU. (AP)

They're neither being mean or charitable in many respects, just following the rules, such as they are, to the letter.

I fully imagine that'll be how the process goes, completely by the book.

heero_yuy 27-06-2016 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35846175)
Well no one knows what the future holds in terms of prices as its still too early to predict what will happen further down the road.

Exactly. I suspect even if the vote had been the other way the markets would still have fluctuated like fury as speculators try to make a killing.

ianch99 27-06-2016 10:57

Cartoon in today's Times :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2016/06/15.jpg

Ignitionnet 27-06-2016 11:00

The more right-wing elements continue to be ecstatic by how things are looking.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...nt-maintained/

Top rated comment:

Quote:

Now we see just why they are trying to freeze Nige Farage out of the team that negotiates our exit.
Boris is now showing his true colours and my suspicion we are seeing a Etonian relay race with the baton being handed from on traitor to another.
We voted for control of our borders and our government taking the responsibility we pay them for.
This is already looking like a establishment stitch up.
So, about the grass being greener?

RBMark 27-06-2016 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35846180)

It doesn't matter any more any way,

The NHS will now collapse.(remain told us)
Immigrants will now all be killed by racists.(remain told us)
An it's very clear the man who called the referendum hadn't made any provisions to deal with the result.(blatantly obvious)

Of course it's a load crap from the Westminster bubble,

---------- Post added at 11:03 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35846182)
The more right-wing elements continue to be ecstatic by how things are looking.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...nt-maintained/

Top rated comment:

So, about the grass being greener?

I wouldn't advise you take notice of such comments, I can point you to some pretty nasty website comments by people of all races and religions directed at the British,

ntluser 27-06-2016 11:04

If Merkel's spokesman is saying we're going by the book how come Merkel herself said she is still going to trade with the UK.

Could it be that the EU is going to start their version of Project Fear?

Ignitionnet 27-06-2016 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35846185)
If Merkel's spokesman is saying we're going by the book how come Merkel herself said she is still going to trade with the UK.

Could it be that the EU is going to start their version of Project Fear?

Continuing to trade is going by the book.

Informing you'd like a free trade agreement isn't fear mongering.

Refusing to discuss said agreements unofficially is going by the book.

I would speculate that Merkel was aware her spokesman would release that statement. The two aren't contradictory.

EDIT: I think it comes down to making clear to the UK that while we're a valued partner we aren't going to get special treatment. They have to tread that line and balance economic interests in continuing to trade with us unhindered with the wider political message being too nice to us would send.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35846168)
More volatility this morning. On the upside there's a flight to safety in UK gilts. We can borrow cash very, very, very cheaply.

I didn't actually think this through. Pension funds invest extensively in UK gilts. This will lower annuity rates.

Stephen 27-06-2016 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35846166)
If the EU want Turkey to join then Turkey will join, if anyone thinks Britian could of stopped it they are deluded beyond belief.

Loose a country of 65 million and gain a country of 76 million, I guess it's bye bye Britian. An as for panic? Is this the same as the panic buying of fuel someone on here predicted or infact had witnessed happening? Leavers are not panicking , London might be but this country is a lot bigger than London.

Its not deluded. All member states would need to agree to a new country joining. So yes the UK could veto Turkey joining if they are still in the EU.

ntluser 27-06-2016 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35846186)
Continuing to trade is going by the book.

Informing you'd like a free trade agreement isn't fear mongering.

Refusing to discuss said agreements unofficially is going by the book.

I would speculate that Merkel was aware her spokesman would release that statement. The two aren't contradictory.

EDIT: I think it comes down to making clear to the UK that while we're a valued partner we aren't going to get special treatment. They have to tread that line and balance economic interests in continuing to trade with us unhindered with the wider political message being too nice to us would send.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I suspect it might be a bit too late for the EU to worry about the wider political message given that there is already unrest and anti-EU feelings in a number of EU countries as demonstrated in the Euro MEP elections.