Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : New box on Saturday (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709225)

johnasimmons 15-07-2020 12:36

New box on Saturday

My trusty old TiVo has bitten the dust (well, the hard drive has) and I am getting a V6 installed on Saturday? How much better than the basic TiVo is it and anything to look out for, pros and cons, on the V6?

Legendkiller2k 15-07-2020 12:43

Re: New box on Saturday

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36043520)
My trusty old TiVo has bitten the dust (well, the hard drive has) and I am getting a V6 installed on Saturday? How much better than the basic TiVo is it and anything to look out for, pros and cons, on the V6?

Cons it's Virgin media :p:

pros - only guessing here mate but more storage, 4k, apps load much faster, box itself is far more smoother, wireless?

BenMcr 15-07-2020 12:48

More storage depends on which TiVo box a customer had before, as there was a 1TB version (although only the 500GB version is now installed or sent out)

For the apps there are also now more on the V6 than on TiVo as all the recent ones are V6 only e.g. BBC Sounds.

Also even if you don't have a 4K TV, you'll still be able to watch the 4K channels if you have the right subscription, as the V6 can downscale them. The old TiVo couldn't decode them in the first place.

The V6 is HDMI only so you will need a compatible TV for it to connect to.

cheekyangus 15-07-2020 12:52

Well the interface is the same, so you'll know how to work it straight away. The difference is just that it doesn't have that "moving through syrup" feel that the old box felt like even at the best of times.

And of course you'll have 6 tuners, which is more than enough for most people normally.

And if you have a tablet or smartphone you can stream recordings from the box whilst in the vicinity of your home network.

Raider999 15-07-2020 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36043525)
Well the interface is the same, so you'll know how to work it straight away. The difference is just that it doesn't have that "moving through syrup" feel that the old box felt like even at the best of times.

And of course you'll have 6 tuners, which is more than enough for most people normally.

And if you have a tablet or smartphone you can stream recordings from the box whilst in the vicinity of your home network.

Personally, I was swayed by this feature when I joined VM but I never found any recording I am able to stream to my IPad, so I gave up trying.

But feel free to tell me what I can.

johnasimmons 15-07-2020 14:25

What extra apps do you get?

cheekyangus 15-07-2020 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36043526)
Personally, I was swayed by this feature when I joined VM but I never found any recording I am able to stream to my IPad, so I gave up trying.

All of them. Not sure what's wrong for you. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36043528)

It's a while since I had a Tivo, so this may be incorrect...but off top of my head...

All4, My5, Pluto TV, Prime Video, BBC Sounds, STV Player (in Scotland, but soon UK-wide supposedly), ITV Hub (not in Scotland).

Raider999 15-07-2020 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36043533)
All of them. Not sure what's wrong for you. Sorry.

---------- Post added at 14:44 ---------- Previous post was at 14:41 ----------

It's a while since I had a Tivo, so this may be incorrect...but off top of my head...

All4, My5, Pluto TV, Prime Video, BBC Sounds, STV Player (in Scotland, but soon UK-wide supposedly), ITV Hub (not in Scotland).

I tried a number of recordings from varying stations, but I was particularly interested in Recordings of live football/rugby matches from Sky/BT sports - non had the option to download.

cheekyangus 15-07-2020 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36043539)
I tried a number of recordings from varying stations, but I was particularly interested in Recordings of live football/rugby matches from Sky/BT sports - non had the option to download.

Ah, I never download recordings with this service, only stream with the VM TV Control app within wireless range of my V6 box.

Only select shows are available to download because either each broadcaster's deal with VM is different or each broadcaster's deal with the rights holders, if it's not their show, are different, so it can vary on a show by show basis and out of VM's hands in the latter case.

E.g. maybe a football league's deal with BT/Sky doesn't allow them to sublicense downloadable recordings capability for that competition/event.

I'd imagine sport is particularly susceptible to this.

I only ever want use it in the house and garden so its fine for me.

ozsat 15-07-2020 17:58

STV Player is now UK wide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36043533)

spiderplant 15-07-2020 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36043526)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...tv-control-app
Click on "Streaming or downloading recordings"

OLD BOY 15-07-2020 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36043528)

The apps are the main improvement, in my view, because they all work as they should! On my old TiVo, the only one that worked properly was Netflix, although it took a while to load initially. Once in, it was fine.

The BBC i-Player was diabolical. Stuttering, blocking and chucking you out altogether - it was dreadful. With the V6, it works perfectly.

The second big advantage was the speed - so quick compared with the TiVo.

johnasimmons 16-07-2020 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36043553)
The apps are the main improvement, in my view, because they all work as they should! On my old TiVo, the only one that worked properly was Netflix, although it took a while to load initially. Once in, it was fine.

The BBC i-Player was diabolical. Stuttering, blocking and chucking you out altogether - it was dreadful. With the V6, it works perfectly.

The second big advantage was the speed - so quick compared with the TiVo.

That's great! I had the same problems as you on my TiVo

Update: VM have moved my appointment - coming this afternoon! :):)

OLD BOY 16-07-2020 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnasimmons (Post 36043584)
That's great! I had the same problems as you on my TiVo

Update: VM have moved my appointment - coming this afternoon! :):)

Good foryou! Let us know what you think when you've had a play!

Mr K 16-07-2020 08:57

I have a V6 and TiVo so can compare. As mentioned the V6 is mostly better but there are a couple of drawbacks. You lose the scart output, which for me is handy as an extra output for another device. Also the TiVo has its own integrated BB connection, whereas the V6 is dependent on your separate BB connection. Usually this means it needs installing near your hub if you want a reliable wired connection. However I've mostly been ok with WiFi.

Having said that they do work well together streaming to each box, so you can use the advantages of each box if you have a V6/TiVo combination.