Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

Electrolyte01 28-07-2004 19:34

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B
ntl do. It is 'always on' because it's never off!

Always on has no bearing on the amount you download. It's not like the old dialup restrictions some firms had, about how many hours a month you could be connected. I still laugh nostalgically when I think about that!

Yes but if the bandwidth gets capped, when you use it I think you get cut off until the next day or month. So that basically isn't "always on" internet ;)

poolking 28-07-2004 19:37

I thought the only people that would get letters were those getting their BB through the STB?

Electrolyte01 28-07-2004 19:40

No, it includes people with the SCAM as well. Basically any one who has broadband with NTL get the limit.

DieDieMyDarling 28-07-2004 19:41

I think it is all about what area you live in. And whether your area is heavily contended. If not many people have BB in your area you can do what you like. If it's a heavily used area they'll crack down on you pretty fast.

Electrolyte01 28-07-2004 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieDieMyDarling
I think it is all about what area you live in. And whether your area is heavily contended. If not many people have BB in your area you can do what you like. If it's a heavily used area they'll crack down on you pretty fast.

If that was the case, people would leave NTL. EVERY ONE has this "guide", if it was like that it wouldn't be fair :erm:

td444 28-07-2004 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B
I'd love to try AOL's great-sounding unmetered product, but not at the expense of having their software on my PC.

Why will they not make it optional? There are many 'experienced' users who would happily try their product if it could be sold with an option to be 'product only' and not have the software.

It is now optional for ADSL users. You can use your AOL Master screen name + password on your router = ADSL connection. And the connection itself seems like a typical ADSL line.

poolking 28-07-2004 19:45

Anyway my speed hasn't been increased yet.

paulyoung666 28-07-2004 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by td444
It is now optional for ADSL users. You can use your AOL Master screen name + password on your router = ADSL connection. And the connection itself seems like a typical ADSL line.

still wouldnt trust aol :disturbd: :disturbd: :disturbd:

DieDieMyDarling 28-07-2004 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrolyte
If that was the case, people would leave NTL. EVERY ONE has this "guide", if it was like that it wouldn't be fair :erm:

Like getting the same cap on 3 different teirs is fair? :D

As far as i know they are the facts though. Ntl are only sending out letters to offenders in highly contended areas. Can someone back me up on this? I read it on here, but can't remember where.

jtwn 28-07-2004 19:49

DieDie i dont get what you are getting at.

BT 512kbps 15gb bandwidth 24.99

NTL 750kbps 30gb bandwidth 24.99

Whats the debate about? :confused:

Mick 28-07-2004 19:52

I think we have slighty shifted off topic now - Any chance we can get back on topic. Thanks.

DieDieMyDarling 28-07-2004 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwn
DieDie i dont get what you are getting at.

BT 512kbps 15gb bandwidth 24.99

NTL 750kbps 30gb bandwidth 24.99

Whats the debate about? :confused:

Sorry, i thought it was 30GB. Still leaves AOL ahead of the rest. Along with the likes of Bulldog. It's just frustrating to see other people getting a much better deal with other providers.

BeeJay 28-07-2004 22:41

Received a letter today detailing the speed increases and saying upgrade programme starts in August.

Letter also details the price changes for telephone and TV packages.

I am in the Poole area - ex CWC.

BeeJay

Stop It 28-07-2004 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill C
Think you will find most ISP's will be capped in some form soon. Might be wrong might be right :) :LOL:

OI! I said that last month, :p Nice to see im not the only one with that opinion though, if it maximises profit, they'll do it, and so far it looks like it might be working for wanadont and British Hellcom, so caps probably will invade most ISP's :p

Also *ON TOPIC* Im in on the Biggleswade UBR , not upgraded, yet, will inform if it changes.

EDIT : Blady ell I cant even spell where I live, oops :dunce:

ppolo99 28-07-2004 23:10

you cant spell "bloody hell" either :)

I got my bill though the post yesterday but still nothing about the upgrades.

Wirral - exCWC