Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Does downgrading put you into a new contract? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706664)

Hugh 07-08-2018 17:49

Re: Does downgrading put you into a new contract?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35958424)
It would take a very large leap of faith to think that you would be able to find the correct information by doing that. You're lucky if they understand what your saying and vice versa with that foreign call centre.

Like I said earlier, you probably have more chance of finding out the correct answer by calling Tesco!

Ask for an email confirming what they have said, and if they won’t, request to s-eaknto a supervisor.

pip08456 07-08-2018 22:44

So not getting a good enough deal is reason to talk shop with him.

Figures.

Stephen 08-08-2018 17:44

Please all be reminded to stay on topic and not get personal with each other

G4v1n 23-08-2018 15:40

Following the debacle with the UK TV channels and the seemingly never ending series of price rises (the latest being the £3.50 one I was just notified of) I'm definitely interested in canceling my TV XL bundle and going broadband only. I don't have phone since I didn't want it in the first place - though VM did everything to push it on me even sending one around with the engineer who first came to install my box.

If I can't simply downgrade to a lower service level, like I could with Sky, I'll just cancel altogether and look at other options. The reason I don't want to commit to 12 months at this time is simply because i'm hoping to move house before the end of the year and there's no telling if I can even get VM at wherever I buy, and don't want to pay a cancellation fee due to early contract termination in that event.

Unfortunately, past experience dealing with VM on the telephone has been awful with long waits, diifficulty finding out what I want to know and high call charges from my mobile, so if anyone can simply tell me what the policy is I'd be grateful.

SnoopZ 23-08-2018 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by G4v1n (Post 35961033)
Following the debacle with the UK TV channels and the seemingly never ending series of price rises (the latest being the £3.50 one I was just notified of) I'm definitely interested in canceling my TV XL bundle and going broadband only. I don't have phone since I didn't want it in the first place - though VM did everything to push it on me even sending one around with the engineer who first came to install my box.

If I can't simply downgrade to a lower service level, like I could with Sky, I'll just cancel altogether and look at other options. The reason I don't want to commit to 12 months at this time is simply because i'm hoping to move house before the end of the year and there's no telling if I can even get VM at wherever I buy, and don't want to pay a cancellation fee due to early contract termination in that event.

Unfortunately, past experience dealing with VM on the telephone has been awful with long waits, diifficulty finding out what I want to know and high call charges from my mobile, so if anyone can simply tell me what the policy is I'd be grateful.

Unless it has since changed you can get a monthly contract with VM according to this link.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-tv-phone.html

G4v1n 24-08-2018 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35961061)
Unless it has since changed you can get a monthly contract with VM according to this link.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...-tv-phone.html

Thanks - didn't know about that, looks interesting. BB is 'only' 50mbps (I've currently got 100) but would actually be more than enough for anything I do.

G4v1n 13-10-2018 20:18

Just to follow up a couple of months later - finally got around to removing the telly part of my contract as I literally don't use it any more having long since moved over to streaming and downloading TV shows.

Switched over to a 30 day rolling broadband contract of the same speed rating as my existing broadband so should just be a case of my TV dropping off in a few weeks time whereupon I can get rid of my V+ box .... it's pretty outdated these days plus it seems to be pretty power hungry, will be happy to remove it.

Apart from a very long-winded wait to get to the point where I could speak to a rep you could remove it (just over 30 mins start to finish on my second attempt, my first call seemed to get dropped after 8 mins in) it was pretty easy to get the change done - no haggling which was a relief as I was getting extremely fed up with the 'on holds' and tolerance for someone trying to sell me another TV contract was non-existent.

Should have done it months ago - the savings will more than pay for my Amazon, Netflix and NowTV streaming services and I have access to BT TV to stream to my Chromecast.

RichardCoulter 13-10-2018 20:25

Apparently, they are now beginning to phase out the V+ boxes on the network anyway.

You might find that you get a call before your TV service stops with an offer of a good deal to stay (particularly if you also take a landline from them.

G4v1n 13-10-2018 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35966419)
Apparently, they are now beginning to phase out the V+ boxes on the network anyway.

You might find that you get a call before your TV service stops with an offer of a good deal to stay (particularly if you also take a landline from them.

Unless they give me TV and phone for free and retain 30 days rolling status, I'm absolutely not interested.

Their phone package was always rubbish and I just wasn't using the TV with so many streaming options available to me - and I don't want to commit to a longer term contract.

Fair play to them for offering rolling 30-day contracts but really as someone who has been on their service for a decade and was long out of contract, I should just be able to tell them to drop any part of the service I want without having to 'switch' to a rolling contract to avoid being committed for another year.

RichardCoulter 13-10-2018 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by G4v1n (Post 35966426)
Unless they give me TV and phone for free and retain 30 days rolling status, I'm absolutely not interested.

Their phone package was always rubbish and I just wasn't using the TV with so many streaming options available to me - and I don't want to commit to a longer term contract.

Fair play to them for offering rolling 30-day contracts but really as someone who has been on their service for a decade and was long out of contract, I should just be able to tell them to drop any part of the service I want without having to 'switch' to a rolling contract to avoid being committed for another year.

The minimum TV package is free, but you have to pay a £3 per month TiVo fee AND I think you have to have a phone which will attract line rental.

Do they charge you extra for a rolling 30 day BB contract?

G4v1n 14-10-2018 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35966439)
The minimum TV package is free, but you have to pay a £3 per month TiVo fee AND I think you have to have a phone which will attract line rental.

Do they charge you extra for a rolling 30 day BB contract?

For 'broadband only', seems to be the same per month for a 12 month contract as a rolling one but if you are taking out a contract for the first time the rolling upfront fee is £65 vs £20 for the 12 month contract.

However, if you take phone as well as BB you get a nice discount with the 12 month contract (£8 a month cheaper) whereas you pay £7 a month more on the rolling.

Don't know if there are hidden line rental charges in there if you take the phone.