Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Anyone here "struggling" on a salary of £81,932? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710437)

Anonymouse 07-10-2021 08:50

Anyone here "struggling" on a salary of £81,932?

According to this, Sir Peter Bottomley reckons it's a struggle.

Not the sort of thing I want to read after doing a 12-hour night shift - for minimum wage, I might add - and I'll only be paid 10.5 hours as the 3 half-hour breaks are all unpaid!

STRUGGLING? On that money?! I'd consider myself well-off on half that!!!

Plus some git stole my cards out of my jacket pocket while it was hung up in the changing room, which has NOT improved my mood!

papa smurf 07-10-2021 09:11

Re: Anyone here "struggling" on a salary of £81,932?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36096252)

Not the sort of thing I want to read after doing a 12-hour night shift - for minimum wage, I might add - and I'll only be paid 10.5 hours as the 3 half-hour breaks are all unpaid!

Plus some git stole my cards out of my jacket pocket while it was hung up in the changing room, which has NOT improved my mood!

He should try living on a state pension before he opens his mouth, especially since his party just dropped the triple lock.

pip08456 07-10-2021 09:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 36096252)

I'd be happy to struggle on that income. Where can I sign up?

Hugh 07-10-2021 09:25

Not the best thing to be saying the day the £20 UC uplift was ended.

jfman 07-10-2021 09:35

It is pretty crass, that said I’d prefer to see MPs paid more rather than end up in the pockets of businesses which the current system is easily exploited to allow. Same with political party funding.

I’d imagine on very few occasions are MPs invited to speak at events or write newspaper columns because people have genuine interest in what they say/think. They’re buying access.

Maggy 07-10-2021 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096263)
It is pretty crass, that said I’d prefer to see MPs paid more rather than end up in the pockets of businesses which the current system is easily exploited to allow. Same with political party funding.

I’d imagine on very few occasions are MPs invited to speak at events or write newspaper columns because people have genuine interest in what they say/think. They’re buying access.

Too late.

jfman 07-10-2021 09:59

Indeed, it’s funny you wouldn’t get near the top of a FTSE 100 executive team without plenty of experience, millions in remuneration and fair strict contracts on conflicts of interest.

Yet you could crash a $2.7trn economy off a cliff for buttons by influencing a relatively small number of folk on 82 grand a year.

Paul 07-10-2021 23:44

Im definitely struggling to earn £ 81,932, does that count ?

Ken W 08-10-2021 00:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36096256)
He should try living on a state pension before he opens his mouth, especially since his party just dropped the triple lock.

I agree

Jaymoss 08-10-2021 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096263)

even if they were paid 200K the greed would still make them want more

murfitUK 08-10-2021 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaymoss (Post 36096493)
even if they were paid 200K the greed would still make them want more

And don't forget that Boris Johnson described his £150,000 as a newspaper columnist as "chicken-feed" a couple of years ago.

All these MPs seem to get consultancy jobs paying 50K a year for 4 hours a month. If they really need a 2nd job they could apply to their local supermarket to be a shelf-stacker, or a care assistant, like the rest of us have to.

Having said that I wouldn't object to them having a bigger salary as long as they were forbidden from filling their pockets elsewhere - being an MP should be a full-time job.

jfman 08-10-2021 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by murfitUK (Post 36096496)
And don't forget that Boris Johnson described his £150,000 as a newspaper columnist as "chicken-feed" a couple of years ago.

All these MPs seem to get consultancy jobs paying 50K a year for 4 hours a month. If they really need a 2nd job they could apply to their local supermarket to be a shelf-stacker, or a care assistant, like the rest of us have to.

Having said that I wouldn't object to them having a bigger salary as long as they were forbidden from filling their pockets elsewhere - being an MP should be a full-time job.

If they were that good at consultancy why waste hundreds of days a year in Parliament. :D

Carth 08-10-2021 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36096497)
If they were that good at consultancy why waste hundreds of days a year in Parliament. :D

Hundreds of days??

I thought they just showed their faces for the minimum times required (which I think is probably 12) in order to get paid :D

mrmistoffelees 08-10-2021 10:41

That would be 82k + ALL of the expenses that are allowed to be claimed for....... and probably some that aren't but are 'pushed through'........

He'll have significantly more in the way of disposable income than that of the average PAYE employee on the same salary.

OLD BOY 08-10-2021 20:34

The thing that most people who have never lived on an income like that don’t appreciate is that you always live up to your income.

As you become better off with pay increases and promotions, you tend to get a more expensive house (with the associated mortgage increases) and more expensive hobbies and other pleasures and an altogether better social life, which all costs money.

So when the value of that increased income starts to fall away for whatever reason, you feel the pinch like everyone else, and you could find yourself not being able to do the things you’ve become accustomed to doing, and even have to consider selling your house for a cheaper one.

Yes, of course it’s nothing like being impoverished, but it is tough, nonetheless. We all get used to what we have, and giving it up can be extremely upsetting.