Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Different Subnet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708879)

kmxsoft 29-03-2020 11:25

Different Subnet

I am struggling to understand how to resolve the following. Whilst my general knowledge of managing my home IP netowork is okay, I'm wondering how to deal with the following.

I have a regular VM network where connected devices are working fine.

However I decided I would add a second router to the network, and whilst that is up and running, the subnet for this added router is different to that on the standard network.

New network subnet: 192.168.1.x
standard network: 192.168.0.x

So how do I configure this so that both routers are using the same subnet?

I have a feeling that I should be adding the 2nd router as a slave to the 1st rather than it being a new router, but that's an area where my knowledge level goes AWOL.

spiderplant 29-03-2020 11:48

Re: Different Subnet

They do need to be separate subnets, so the routers can tell where to route the traffic.
If you really want to extend the VM subnet, you need a switch, not a second router. (You may be able to configure it to operate as a switch instead of a router).

But why is having two subnets a problem, anyway?

Another option is to put the SuperHub into modem mode, and connect all your devices to the new router instead.

kmxsoft 30-03-2020 06:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36029471)
But why is having two subnets a problem, anyway?

Because I have a server, which isn't visible on the second subnet.

I've now resolved this problem as I bought an extender, so when that arrives that should fix this issue.

spiderplant 30-03-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmxsoft (Post 36029579)
Because I have a server, which isn't visible on the second subnet.

Sounds like you need to add route table entry somewhere

kmxsoft 30-03-2020 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36029584)

Probably, though that exceeds my comfort level. And as remarked earlier I've now bought a range extender so I'm okay.

tweetiepooh 30-03-2020 12:59

If you look up using routers as access points then the process is likely very similar if you can. The 2nd router then just becomes a client of the first and will route devices attached to it to the first.

In my case I put the WAN port of second router to a LAN port on the first and set the second to get it's IP via DHCP ( I then fix the IP for that device on the first outside the DHCP range).

kmxsoft 01-04-2020 06:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 36029584)

You solved the problem!

I added a static route in the 2nd router and was then able to see the server which had its IP on the domain controlled by the first router. As the server hosts the DNS server for the network that routing update meant I could configure my network devices to use either access point.

Nice and simple.