Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   350M : Win 10 Speed slow (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707260)

copernob 08-01-2019 01:30

Win 10 Speed slow

Why is my Windows 10 slow. My Speed is Half of my Win7 pc which is 381down Around 152 on Win 10...

djfunkdup 08-01-2019 02:25

Re: Win 10 Speed slow

Windows 10 here and i don't get that issue .

pip08456 08-01-2019 03:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35978275)
Why is my Windows 10 slow. My Speed is Half of my Win7 pc which is 381down Around 152 on Win 10...

I've given W10 a short chance in the past but never saw a speed issue. Don't know what it would be like now with the updates it's had.

Don't care, once support for Win 7 ends I'm off to Linux.

General Maximus 08-01-2019 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35978280)
Don't care, once support for Win 7 ends I'm off to Linux.

hopefully by then Windows 11 will be out and it will be more like Windows 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35978275)
Around 152 on Win 10...

It may be a coincidence. Have you checked the config on the shub because 152 is what I was provisioned for when I was on 120mbits back in the days of yore.

BenMcr 08-01-2019 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35978291)
hopefully by then Windows 11 will be out and it will be more like Windows 7.

All updates are going to be off the Windows 10 codebase now in the same way as Office 365 works.

There isn't going to be a Windows 11

Taf 08-01-2019 12:05

With no programs running that would use the internet, check too see if Win 10 is downloading anything.

My daughter's connection (and all others on the home network) got very slow and I checked and found her Win10 was hammering the connection doing downloads in the background.

copernob 08-01-2019 17:43

Can't find the problem..both PCs show in the Router. All looks Ok. Will look again later. No Downloads in background. All configured for Downloads...

General Maximus---What n where is this Config in Shrub3 ?

Cheers All
Happy New Year

pip08456 08-01-2019 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35978419)
Can't find the problem..both PCs show in the Router. All looks Ok. Will look again later. No Downloads in background. All configured for Downloads...

General Maximus---What n where is this Config in Shrub3 ?

Cheers All
Happy New Year

Click on Check router status at the bottom of login page, then config tab.

General Maximus 08-01-2019 19:07

copernob 10-01-2019 08:11

I get this---
Network access
Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs
Baseline Privacy
Enabled
DOCSIS Mode
Docsis30
Config file
cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u-b.cm

Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID 2791099
Max Traffic Rate 402500000
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0

Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID 2791098
Max Traffic Rate 22010000
Max Traffic Burst 42600
Min Traffic Rate 0
Max Concatenated Burst 16320
Scheduling Type BestEffort

---------- Post added at 08:11 ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 ----------

For Network log I keep getting this of which has been for months---
2019-01-10 07:04:16.00 Error DHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=40:0d:10:00:98:0b;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:7a:82:55;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2019-01-10 07:49:58.00 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=40:0d:10:00:98:0b;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:7a:82:55;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

General Maximus 10-01-2019 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35978718)
Primary Downstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate 402500000

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Max Traffic Rate 22010000

that means you are provisioned for 400mbits down and 22 up which is correct. Are you doing your speed tests on speedtest.net?

https://www.cableforum.uk/images/local/2019/01/3.png

copernob 15-01-2019 03:06

No I use OOKLA...Just realized speedtest is ookla. Sorry.

Ping ms
Download Mbps
Upload Mbps
ABOVE is Win 7 pro.

Below is Win 10
Ping ms
Download Mbps
Upload Mbps

SnoopZ 15-01-2019 10:32

Not sure if this has been asked.

I assume all tests are ethernet(wired) as they need to be?

Are you using the same browsers on both Windows 7 and 10?

Are you using 2 PCs 1 with 7 and 1 with 10 on or are the windows 7 tests really old?

Which Browser do you currently use, and try other browsers?

I suspect there are settings/driver issues with your Ethernet adapter on Windows 10 compared to Windows 7 if you still have problems after reading this thread, where the guy changed his adapter to get around a similar problem, hopefully you won't have to do that.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-765b3a8fe4d2

copernob 16-01-2019 12:10

Hi Snoopz----Firefox on both PCs and I have Chrome on both as well...Same add ons in firefox..Both on cat 6 cable through a gigabyte 8 switch box..

For the last two nights from around 1:00am my Shrub3 has been flickering the Wireless & power on for hours. The Wireless is still flickering on the shrub3. been like it all day. I not touched it at moment...Wondering if I been hacked (because of the Ransomeware I had) or if Virgin has a problem, or my shrub has a problem. Internet working. Power plugs working. (tp-link & netgear) I switched off my NAS Sharecenter at moment until I satisfied with everything else. That I might have to reset as it rejects my password on PCs and Phone & tablet... THANKs for the Help. 2019 not good to me at moment..

SnoopZ 16-01-2019 12:13

All i can suggest is try plugging the Hub3 direct in router mode to the windows 10 pc without your router or switch and turn everything off and on again and and if that fixes it then you know the issue isnt windows 10.

Also check all drivers for the ethernet card etc failing that i think you will have to Google as i am out of ideas.

General Maximus 16-01-2019 12:46

If i were you i would put the shub in modem mode temporarily, directly connect the dodgy pc and see what you get.

What happened to the proper router you was going to get after xmas?

SnoopZ 16-01-2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35979527)
If i were you i would put the shub in modem mode temporarily, directly connect the dodgy pc and see what you get.

What happened to the proper router you was going to get after xmas?

Just what I said so he bypasses all his other gear, I suspect the issue isn't Windows 10 unless it is a driver issue.

copernob 16-01-2019 15:48

general Maximus--I still contemplating on whether to buy a Router..Using power plugs at moment n they work well...I have updated drivers, No Change. I beginning to think it could be to a Windows 10 update. This Wi-Fi still flashing on theRouter..Going to switch it off n On to see if that does it. If not, I'll try a hammer :) :) :) lol

Hugh 16-01-2019 15:50

Is your Win10 PC connected through power plugs?

copernob 16-01-2019 16:37

No. Direct Ethernet Cat 6 Cables. All New. All Working. For some reason I just discovered that my Network says---Network2 private network. nothing in between then it says Connections Ethernet. STRANGE is that as it was a "Home Network" What changed it ???I tried a New connection or network n it wanted me to put in my Provider n password. WHY ? not ever done that before..Sorry to trouble you all but when it comes to Networks I no ruddy good. lol

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Wi-Fi stopped flashing since I switched hub off n restarted...

SnoopZ 16-01-2019 17:07

If the hub3 has a flashing WiFi light then that is strange as the only light meant to be on is the white bar at the bottom of the hubs in router mode.

As already suggested connect the hub3 direct to the windows 10 pc in modem mode turn all off and on again then see what happens, if you don't do this it makes your problem difficult, this will remove your other stuff from the loop.

General Maximus 16-01-2019 18:37

yeah, rather than trying to guess what it is, if you put it in modem mode and you still have the same problem then at least you know it is a Windows issue.

Do it now!

copernob 16-01-2019 18:58

Ok Update---I plugged the Ethernet cable from router straight to the PC and speeds are the same. So not the Ethernet cable..Varying from 179.75 then next test 210.36. I did not go into router to change it to Modem Mode...Why would I want to do that please ?? I also followed all kinds of google searches n tried em all, from cmd prompt to unticking ssl 1.0 & 1.1 no difference. I still think it is a Microsoft update that has done this. Unless you know different of course..It can't be the switch as it works on Win7. Your Help so far is very much Appreciated. Thanks.

General Maximus 16-01-2019 19:26

I am having a deja vu from dick weed before xmas. You can google modem mode if you want but i am not going to explain it. There is obviously a reason why we suggested it and suffice to say that a wired test in router mode is completely different to a wired test in modem mode and as i stated above you are wasting your time if you do anything else but that at the moment. For all the faffing around you have done googling and changing settings you could have done what you originally set out to do which was ask for our advice.

copernob 16-01-2019 19:30

OK I believe you told me off..That is fine..I will go into my Router and change to Modem mode and directly plug ethernet cable into my Win10 PC...Will do that later and let you know how it gets on....Seeing its Excellent on my Win7 PC I don't think there will be a change. Will let you know though. Many Thanks

General Maximus 16-01-2019 19:57

As an incentive for you, if you are a good boy and do what we have suggested and post the speed test result (and it hasn't helped) I have got 4 links ready for you which I am sure pretty sure will fix your problem. Troubleshooting needs to a follow a logical process though and this is step 1.

SnoopZ 16-01-2019 19:58

Make sure you power down the PC and modem if you need to move cables then power up again and let it do its thing.

General Maximus 16-01-2019 20:06

Shub first and then pc after 2 mins

copernob 17-01-2019 06:28

OK I only just seen this General....so far it starts up, Flashes Greeny White, The Wireless and Power leds come on, it flashes Full Green, then goes to RED. I can't access the router now. Still puts me on Internet n Speed is 213.82.

I will now Switch PC off then Router, switch Router on n wait 2 minutes. Gives me time to make a cofee as its 6:00am n I'm off out to Exeter at 7am...Will let you know later.

---------- Post added at 06:28 ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 ----------

OK--General Maximus---I did what you suggested...Switched Router off, pulled power plug. 1 min switched it on. (pc is OFF) All lights came on Green then changed to RED. Power led flashing a Greeny white. WiFi flashes, goes off, the Power arrows come on n flashes then around one minute it stops flashing and Power led is green then goes RED n stays RED. I on the internet n Speed is still Low on this Win10 at 212.5..Can't access the Router via Internet..Do I have a Dying Router ? Must I now press the Re-Set Button and use the original router password until I change it. ??? Catch you tonight. Cheers

General Maximus 17-01-2019 10:31

When you are in router mode the ip to access the shub is 192.168.0.1. When it is in modem it is 192.168.100.1 and that should work for you now. My apologies, I should have told you that before so you didn't panic. You don't have to do a factory reset to get it back in router mode, you can go back in to the shub and afaik the first option you should see is a button for router mode and everything else will be blanked out. It will reset itself which will take a couple of minutes and then all your wifi and everything will be back.

When you have got 10 mins later read each of these links. Take your time and read them properly so you understand the problem and how it applies to you. They are all pretty much the same but go in to varying levels of detail and I always think it is good to understand something rather than just doing it. I wouldn't worry about the fourth link too much, it is just for reference and you should get everything you need from 1 and 2.

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-...d-heres-change

https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/wi...nternet-speed/

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...-hardware.html

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...totuninglevel/

pip08456 17-01-2019 14:48

1 Attachment(s)
TCPOptimiser should sort the problem out.

Quick and simple.

Start the program with administrative permissions: right-click on the program, choose "Run as administrator" -> OK
Choose your maximum connection speed (as advertised from your ISP) in the slider bar.(or move slider fully to the right if over 100Mbps connection)
Choose your Network Adapter that connects you to the Internet (or tick "Modify all network adapters")
Pick "Optimal settings" from the radio-buttons near the bottom of the program
Click on the "Apply changes" button, choose to create backup and log, and reboot when prompted

copernob 18-01-2019 11:23

Thank You Maximus--I will read them all..Forgot about the 100 at end. Cheers..Pip08456-I used TCPOptomiser before n all it did was put it on 1500 of which it should be anyway...How else does it help...? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

OK-You might find this Strange or even Stupid, but I found on my PC Startup it started quicker in Modem Mode n got to Desktop far quicker than in Router mode...

I installed TCPOptomizer and it never did anything. (it never does) Still the same speeds.
I did find that the Fastest speed using OOkla was from Wolves,218 slowest from bristol.164
It has to be Windows 10 which I must admit, is on an older PC bought from Aldi's a long time ago. At least I know the Modem is OK. Many Thanks.

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

AGAIN, I find this Strange..As My printers are only a few feet away and Working..

1 Your broadband connection is working.
2 Gateway IPv4 address is valid.
3 The device has low signal strength, please move it closer to EPSON5AF515.
4 The device has low signal strength, please move it closer to WN3000RPv3.
5 Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.
6 Your broadband connection is down.
7 The temperature of your Hub 3.0 is normal.
BROADBAND is ON & Working...lol I got Ghosts..

General Maximus 19-01-2019 13:34

you should go with plan A from before xmas and buy a proper router. Plan B is never buy a pc from a supermarket because they buy the cheapest naff they can get their hands on say it is half price, was £500 now £250.

True story for you, a guy who I work with bought his son a new laptop for xmas for uni and before xmas he asked me if I could upgrade the ram for him in advance so it was good to go. I told him I would need the model number so I could look at the specs and see what the upgrade options are. It was a HP "stream" series notebook and the ram is soldered straight onto the motherboard and neither upgradable or replaceable and the "HDD" was 32gb, it was basically a memory stick soldered to the motherboard. The more and more I read about it the more I cringed and I politely told him it was a pile of junk, I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me for free and I would take it back and swap it for something better which I would happily provide recommendations for. He told me he was going to take it back but I don't think he did. Any problems they have going forward is his own fault because he failed to listen to very sound and reasoned advice.

Hint hint.

pip08456 19-01-2019 13:45

Not onlthat General but they are also loaded with bloatware!

Kushan 21-01-2019 19:33

Perform your tests in Safe Mode with Networking.

This is the cleanest way to test the PC hasn't got some dodgy software or configuration on it. Test your speeds with that and report back.

copernob 22-01-2019 11:25

Ah Well Now! Was bought as a backup PC. Windows 7 Run Perfectly for years...
Decided to try Win 10 to see if it would work on this PC. It's a tad slow at startup because I use a 1tb hdd. (no probs there) I'm not a complete duffer (only with some things) Both my PCs are Tweaked to my requirements, not microsofts. This Old PC with win 10 was Running Smoothly until a few updates ago. So in my minds eye it has to be one of the updates. (i could be wrong) but which one, God only knows. I been in Safemode too many times now n its nada nada nothing found. NO BLOATWARE in any of my PCs. Reason, if shop bought I wiope clean n start again. My other PC that Runs Win 7 is a Self Build so any bloatware on there is down to me. General Maximus---I always listen to those such as yourself who knows better than I. :) BUT, before i go buying any other Router I need to find the Culprit in this Win10 pc first. I don't like being defeated, which is reason I ask questions for help. Yesterday my "4 Port USB Gigabit Network Server" Stop working in my Win 7 PC, was OK in the old Win10 pc, Go figure. After messing around All day in Safe Mode etc. I got it to work again. Somehow the Windows Installer in Services was STOPPED. Go figure. I think I got a VOODO in my House. lol Thanks for the Help, Appreciated...I will let you know if I ever get to the bottom of the slow speed and if n when I buy a New Router. Will be the ASUS RT AC-68U AC1900. Take Care All.

pip08456 22-01-2019 13:09

Have you run a speed test whilst in safe mode with networking? As Kushan says it's cleanest way to test.

General Maximus 22-01-2019 21:09

And failing that why dont you just wipe it clean and put windows 7 back on or a clean copy of windows 10?

If a recent update was responsible you would be seeing it on the internet. I spent a lot of time googling for you the other day and nothing recent came up and definitely nothing attributed to windows updates.

copernob 22-01-2019 22:46

Hi General...I did google n I did find a few who had slow speed. Some fixed it but the fix did not work for others. The fix did not work for me neither....I am going to check in my Services to see if something in ther says either manual & stopped or Dissabled. In my Win 7 PC My 4 port USB Gigabit Network Server refused to work until I found out why in Services...Then today (Tuesday) I was all day trying to log into my Dlink Sharecentre NAS box. It refused to accept my password. Took me nearly All day to find the culprit was the Internet Share in Services was also manual & Stopped....I got Ghosts I can tell you...Working a treat now. Thank You pip08456---Forgot to do that. Will check it in Safe Mode with Network tomorrow. Thanks...I only went into Safemode without internet. Silly me.

General Maximus 22-01-2019 22:55

Wtf is a 4 port USB Gigabit Network Server?

Kushan 27-01-2019 12:16

I'd love to see a basic network diagram of all devices you have on your network.

General Maximus 27-01-2019 12:49

Me too because it is bugging me that you appear to want multiple devices and perhaps servers and dont think a proper router is necessary to solve simple problems.

copernob 28-01-2019 23:55

Now Bear with me Please. I know hardly anything about Networking. If I did I would not be in here asking you questions that sound simple to you. They NOT simple to me.
The Network Server is a squarish box that has power and Ethernet port on top with an On/Off switch.( Ethernet connects to my Netgear 8 port switch. Cat 6 cable).Underneath you plug in 4 USB devices. On mine I got a Printer & 3 hard drives connected to it..That way I can see and connect to all on both my PCs but not at same time. Also my Laptop downstairs. I not sure if I need another Router, but if you say it would be better then I just might buy one. I can't post images in here as you not made it simple to do so like majority of other sites. NO I do not want to post elsewhere in order to post in here.

I would of thought you EggHeads would know what a 4 port USB Gigabit Network server was. This one bought at Maplins Yonks ago-- https://www.tesco.com/direct/maplin-...?source=others

Anyway, Everything works great on my Self Build Win7 PC. but slow internet on Win 10. I still think it is to do with a Win10 update. I Appreciate all the Help you are giving me. I will buy a Router when I decide which un is the best. This one--Linksys WRT1900ACS-UK AC1900 Dual-Band Smart Wi-Fi Wireless Router
OR this one-- ASUS RT-AC86U Dual-Band AC2900 Wireless Gigabit Router . UNLESS you know better...

fenman35 29-01-2019 08:17

My speed tests for Virgin 100 BB has dropped since I changed from a Win 7 PC to a new Win 10 PC. Speed was regularly 105 on winn 7 now is 80 with win 10. Nothing else has changed.

General Maximus 29-01-2019 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 35981105)
Everything works great on my Self Build Win7 PC. but slow internet on Win 10.

did you do the speed test in safe mode as Kush suggested? It is a 3 minute job.

copernob 30-01-2019 14:38

SAFE MODE--OOkla test---Server Wolvs--ping 14---down 208.92--up 14.93
Bristol & Cardiff is slower..
I have switched cat cables around plus switch box conections and no difference. So, me thinks it has to do with Win 10 and older PCs or a KB Update. Unless you know different of course..Thanks for the help...

General Maximus 30-01-2019 14:46

Is this the pc you built yourself or the one you bought?

copernob 30-01-2019 14:55

Downstream is 1.4 on high channels & 2.2 to 3 on lower channels..On Win 10 pc.
Funny thing is--my dbm/v is same on Win 7 PC..Very Strange is that as I thought it should be between 6 to 10dbm/v downstream & 31 to 55 dbm/v upstream..What should it be ??
NETWORK LOG always shows Critical & Errors..

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

General it is Win 10 Bought but use to use Win 7 until I upgraded
..My win7 is self build..

General Maximus 30-01-2019 16:10

Downstream should be as close to 0 as possible so 1.4 is fine. Any reported stats will be the same regardless of the device you "view" them on because you are looking at the line performance of the shub connected to the VM network and not the pc's connection.

Have you had a look to see if there is a utility installed for your motherboard? I have got an MSI motherboard and as part of the drivers and software bundle which gets installed it comes with an app called something like "ethernet killer" which has all sorts of snazzy reporting features for the network card. One of the things it can do is bandwidth limitation and for some reason it is enabled by default and set to 100mbit. You might want to look and see if you have got something similar in operation.

copernob 02-02-2019 16:46

Hi General Maximus---No, I got no such progy in my Win 10 with motherboard. I only use Speccy to show what I got. I will install "Wnetwatcher" as I got that on my Win 7 pc, to see if anything else is logging in or going out.

General Maximus 02-02-2019 20:00

well depending how much it irritates you going forward (and I know it would bug me) I would do a clean install of windows 10, do a speed test and see what I get, and if I got full speed work my way up from there installing updates and applications and see what is affecting it. Tbh I think it is something local to you which you haven't found yet because if it was a windows issue or update, no matter how small the glitch, it would have affected enough users globally that you would see it on the support forums and I couldn't find anything.

copernob 05-02-2019 02:43

There are some in here-- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-d0b7466916fc

Not worked for me yet...

STRANGE Things Happen...I downloaded the OOKLA Desktop Speed Test.. It was from Bristol (Virgin Media) Ping 13----Download 382.63---Upload 22.84..Thought you could only get 21.01 Up....Why does the OOKLA site give lower & desktop App gives higher...
OH- I did change the Ethernet Driver from Microsoft to NVIDIA...

The PIT 08-02-2019 21:26

Unless I missed it have you've updated or re-installed the network drivers.
Happened to me re-installed the network drive and the speed went up from 100meg back to 220.
It's actually happened twice to me.

alanbjames 09-02-2019 07:49

Since upgrading my PC i now have an Intel chipset ethernet card where my old one was a broadcom chipset.

I have to set my ethernet card to full duplex and use TCPOptimiser in order to get full 350mb otherwise i wont see much more than 220mb.

The PIT 09-02-2019 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35982653)
Since upgrading my PC i now have an Intel chipset ethernet card where my old one was a broadcom chipset.

I have to set my ethernet card to full duplex and use TCPOptimiser in order to get full 350mb otherwise i wont see much more than 220mb.

Shouldn't need to do any of those things to make it work.
If you're having to force full duplex that suggests something is wrong with your cabling or if also using a switch something wrong with that.

General Maximus 09-02-2019 12:38

Yeah, it's not negotiating the connection properly.

alanbjames 09-02-2019 19:54

Well i changed from Cat 5 to Cat6 a few weeks ago when i moved hub and router and needed longer cables and this didnt solve it.

Im not having any issues touch wood.

copernob 13-02-2019 01:07

What is Perplexing me brain is this..I google OOKLA speed test for online test. It always gives me a low speed on Win10..Do same on my Win 7 n it is Fast.
If I do an OOKLA Desktop speed test on win10 I get the Top fast speed. It is not the cables as I swapped them around n all is well with no change. Anyway, Once I buy a New Router I'll let you know if everything is lots better..THANKS ALL.

SnoopZ 13-02-2019 09:39

Try these speedtests via ethernet using atleast 2 different browsers without adblocks running and report back.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
https://www.speedtest.net/ (i know this is by oklaa so i assume this is what you refer too)