Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : V6 Tuner Glitch (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706990)

Joedm45 28-10-2018 20:14

V6 Tuner Glitch

Hello all,

I've noticed a glitch in the V6 tuner selection logic so thought I'd share and see if anyone else has noticed or if it is isolated to my V6 only as unlikely as that may be. Hopefully one of our VM staff members can report it to the correct people too. The glitch has just happened so while it is fresh in my mind...

I was just watching The Chase on ITV HD, the phone rang so paused the show. Once I resumed I was around 10 minutes behind live TV. A recording of X Factor (for the other half of course) was due to start at 8pm. When 8pm came around, instead of the V6 using a separate tuner to record X Factor, it decided to use the same tuner I was watching, effectively deleting the 10 minutes I was behind as there was no option to rewind back before the recording started.

I'm sure this is a glitch and not normal operation, has anyone experienced this? It has happened before but haven't got round to reporting until now. I really can't remember if it was the same channel, I'll have to do some tests.

PS. If anyone knows if the celebrities won the final chase please let me know, otherwise I'll wait until ITV+1 shows it :D

RobboEdin 28-10-2018 20:25

Re: V6 Tuner Glitch

This is a well-reported situation, caused by the TiVo software flushing the tuner buffer prior to starting to record a program on the same channel.
It is currently working as designed, perhaps a legacy of the ‘old’ TiVo only having three tuners.
You are correct, especially with six tuners, that this logic could be changed on V6 to check if the tuner is paused on the same channel as the upcoming recording and to use a different tuner for the recording if one is available.
I don’t know if this change has been requested of Virgin Media.

cheekyangus 28-10-2018 20:27

This happened a few days ago on our box. A recording for BBC1 messed up delayed viewing on the show before. Fortunately one of thenother tuners happened to be on the HD variant and I was able to rewind on that.

Highly annoying though.

Skie 28-10-2018 21:38

Yeah it's a 'feature' of Tivo.

Same with it parking multiple tuners on the same channels for no apparent reason other than it felt like it.

OLD BOY 29-10-2018 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35968430)
This is a well-reported situation, caused by the TiVo software flushing the tuner buffer prior to starting to record a program on the same channel.
It is currently working as designed, perhaps a legacy of the ‘old’ TiVo only having three tuners.
You are correct, especially with six tuners, that this logic could be changed on V6 to check if the tuner is paused on the same channel as the upcoming recording and to use a different tuner for the recording if one is available.
I don’t know if this change has been requested of Virgin Media.

So there is little point in pausing live tv to allow someone to answer the door or go to the loo because the chances are you will miss the end of your programme.

That's just pants, and one more reason to pre-record everything you watch on scheduled TV.

RobboEdin 29-10-2018 09:15

Not if you press Record, rather than Pause. This is only an issue if there is a program set to record immediately after the program you are watching Live.

OLD BOY 29-10-2018 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35968452)
Not if you press Record, rather than Pause. This is only an issue if there is a program set to record immediately after the program you are watching Live.

Ok, fair point, if people remember to hit the record rather than the pause button. :erm:

Itshim 29-10-2018 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35968452)

Yet another well thought out feature from Tivo . Another reason not to fall into the grass is greener syndrome. Give a couple of years and every one will wish to swap out to the next model say how bad the V6 is. Look back and see how many people said the tivo was the bees knees. Now its so slow:erm: getting close to being rubbish ( which it is but thats another matter)Sio many faults on V6 but don`t mention them HERE!!!

OLD BOY 29-10-2018 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 35968490)
Yet another well thought out feature from Tivo . Another reason not to fall into the grass is greener syndrome. Give a couple of years and every one will wish to swap out to the next model say how bad the V6 is. Look back and see how many people said the tivo was the bees knees. Now its so slow:erm: getting close to being rubbish ( which it is but thats another matter)Sio many faults on V6 but don`t mention them HERE!!!

These faults are pretty minor, no need to big it up.

The V6 is very good and far superior to the Tivo. You are right to say the Tivo was good when it came out, but in truth it really wasn't able to cope with increased demands made of it over time. It seems to me that this lesson has been learned.

Sky Q is revered as the best thing since sliced bread, but it has its downsides too. But again, they are only minor and do not detract from the advantages of having one.

If you want perfection with anything, you won't get it!

Itshim 29-10-2018 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35968499)
These faults are pretty minor, no need to big it up.

The V6 is very good and far superior to the Tivo. You are right to say the Tivo was good when it came out, but in truth it really wasn't able to cope with increased demands made of it over time. It seems to me that this lesson has been learned.

Sky Q is revered as the best thing since sliced bread, but it has its downsides too. But again, they are only minor and do not detract from the advantages of having one.

If you want perfection with anything, you won't get it!

Agreed you won't get perfection.however the V6 was/is a cutdown version of the model previously released in the USA. Not that I ever one there but I understand that it was not that well received.. Still as you say better that the model it replaces, much in the same way the model T was better than a horse and buggy:D