Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Tory MP quits government over refusal to extend free school meals (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709454)

1andrew1 22-10-2020 11:55

Tory MP quits government over refusal to extend free school meals

Not really too much of an issue for the government with its large majority but draws attention to the topic it can do without given the billions spent on track and trace.
Quote:

Caroline Ansell – one of only five MPs to side vote with Labour on the failed bid to tackle child food poverty – announced she had resigned her position as a parliamentary private secretary.
The MP for Eastbourne and Willingdon said she could not ignore her “conscience” on the issue in a statement explaining why she had sided with the opposition.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartanntp

papa smurf 22-10-2020 16:27

Re: Tory MP quits government over refusal to extend free school meals

Just how much of his own money has Rashford committed to his cause?

1andrew1 22-10-2020 16:29

Quote:

Nigel Farage brands free school meal vote ‘mean and wrong’

The Brexit Party leader compared the Government's policy of subsidising restaurant meals in the summer with the refusal to extend free school to Easter 2021.

He tweeted on Thursday morning: “If the government can subsidise Eat Out to Help Out, not being seen to give poor kids lunch in the school holidays looks mean and is wrong.”

Mr Farage’s stance surprised many social media users, with one commenting that the former UKIP leader now “looks less right-wing than the Government”.
“Government condemned for lack of compassion over free school meals by bleeding heart leftie *checks notes* Nigel Farage,” tweeted journalist Hannah Al-Othman.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsl...rtan-ntp-feeds

BenMcr 22-10-2020 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36054669)

He's doing a lot of work to raise money for causes including donating money to multiple charities and promoting them to help them raise more money.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11878...generous-acts/

And of course he contributes via his tax bill which as far as I'm aware he pays everything he's legally liable for on his wages.

denphone 22-10-2020 16:47

Quote:

l award you whataboutery post of the day Sir..

papa smurf 22-10-2020 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36054672)
l award you whataboutery post of the day Sir..

Does it come with a MBE.

Hugh 22-10-2020 17:09

Quote:

He donated in April (no precise figure was given, except it was ‘sizeable"), then later on that month he doubled that donation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-a9475846.html

https://www.90min.com/posts/marcus-r...t-01e76bv6q9wz

tweetiepooh 23-10-2020 12:11

A problem arises between children whose families are really in poverty and need the meal, those whose families are "negligent" and need the meal, those who don't need the meal and those who don't need the meal but families say they do. (Possibly other groups too.)

When there is billions of fraud over Covid schemes and other help systems so the "giver" has to pay for monitoring and detection it really doesn't help.

If those getting help was really limited to those needing it and no fraud there would be enough to go round and support even more.

papa smurf 23-10-2020 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36054709)
A problem arises between children whose families are really in poverty and need the meal, those whose families are "negligent" and need the meal, those who don't need the meal and those who don't need the meal but families say they do. (Possibly other groups too.)

When there is billions of fraud over Covid schemes and other help systems so the "giver" has to pay for monitoring and detection it really doesn't help.

If those getting help was really limited to those needing it and no fraud there would be enough to go round and support even more.

My former next door neighbours were at the shop at 7 am every morning buying cigs and booze,also cannabis from a local dealer, never paid rent or bills, they had 5 kids who lived on cheap pizza's from aldi and nad no change of clothes,they created their own poverty and the children suffered for it.

BenMcr 23-10-2020 12:33

Not sure what that's an argument for or against? :confused:

nomadking 23-10-2020 13:26

They shouldn't have scrapped the previous arrangements.:rolleyes:
I remember at Primary school we didn't have school dinners, free or otherwise. Somehow parents managed.
They already receive the money to feed them in benefits and tax credits etc.
Children skipping breakfast isn't just a UK thing, and isn't just a poverty thing.
Link

Quote:

Results: Most (86.8% of boys, 81.4% of girls) ate breakfast on both days, 11.8% of boys and 14.8% girls skipped on one day and 1.4% boys and 3.8% girls skipped on both days. Characteristics associated with skipping breakfast were being female, being older, being underweight or overweight/obese, poorer diet, lower physical activity, inadequate sleep, lower household income, greater socioeconomic disadvantage, and being from a single‐parent home.

Prior to the 2007 survey, the most recent published national Australian data on skipping breakfast were from the 1995 National Nutrition Survey. Skipping breakfast three or more times per week was reported by 7% of 2–11‐year‐olds and increased to 21% for 12–15‐year‐olds.11 Data from the US and Germany suggest the prevalence of skipping breakfast has increased over time.12, 13 However, in the study from the US the increased prevalence may be due to the different methods used to define breakfast over time.
If it was about money, the figures between groups would be more uniform and consistent.
Quote:

Children and adolescents who have inadequate sleep may find it harder to get out of bed in time to have breakfast. Inadequate sleep and skipping breakfast may also be indicators of disorganised households or low parental supervision. Household correlates associated with skipping breakfast were greater socioeconomic disadvantage and being from a single parent home. A review of 24 studies among 6–18‐year‐olds found the family correlates with the most evidence of an association with skipping breakfast were being from a single‐parent home and having a parent who skipped breakfast

Maggy 23-10-2020 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054721)
They shouldn't have scrapped the previous arrangements.:rolleyes:
I remember at Primary school we didn't have school dinners, free or otherwise. Somehow parents managed.
They already receive the money to feed them in benefits and tax credits etc.
Children skipping breakfast isn't just a UK thing, and isn't just a poverty thing.
Link

If it was about money, the figures between groups would be more uniform and consistent.

How old are you? I'm 68 and I had school dinners at primary school. Also when my mother was widowed when I was 13 I got free school dinners.

papa smurf 23-10-2020 14:09

I went home for lunch every day,thankfuly it was a long walk home or i would have ended up as fat as a barrel,my mum didn't do small portions.

nomadking 23-10-2020 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36054722)
How old are you? I'm 68 and I had school dinners at primary school. Also when my mother was widowed when I was 13 I got free school dinners.

Younger than that. It was more a case of being small village primary schools, although I don't remember there being school meals at infant school in Hackney. It was only at secondary school stage that school dinners were provided, and that was probably just because we had to be bussed in, and it would take too long to bus us back home and then return to school.
I don't think the reasons for school dinners has ever been about helping the parents out financially.
At one secondary school we were just fed a roll in the Library. The school was in the process of being built, and they only had facilities for the initial year students(aged 12/13), and that was probably just to serve people at the associated theatre.

Does the parent get extra money for when they don't yet go to school or get suspended when they do?
Coming from a disorganised home is a far bigger factor than money.

1andrew1 23-10-2020 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054727)
Coming from a disorganised home is a far bigger factor than money.

I have a couple of questions on your end statement. A far bigger factor in what? What's the definition of a disorganised home and what's the statistical evidence for it?

nomadking 23-10-2020 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054729)
I have a couple of questions on your end statement. A far bigger factor in what? What's the definition of a disorganised home and what's the statistical evidence for it?

If only I had posted an example link? Oh, wait a minute, I did.
Quote:

Inadequate sleep and skipping breakfast may also be indicators of disorganised households or low parental supervision.
Children skipping breakfast is usually ALSO labelled as being a financial issue. That is the connection.
Quote:

A review of 24 studies among 6–18‐year‐olds found the family correlates with the most evidence of an association with skipping breakfast were being from a single‐parent home and having a parent who skipped breakfast
When did they scrap the previous system of providing free school meals during holiday time?

OLD BOY 24-10-2020 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36054712)
My former next door neighbours were at the shop at 7 am every morning buying cigs and booze,also cannabis from a local dealer, never paid rent or bills, they had 5 kids who lived on cheap pizza's from aldi and nad no change of clothes,they created their own poverty and the children suffered for it.

Yes, and that’s the uncomfortable to truth for all good-doers.

Children are always used at pawns by the ‘wets’ of our society. What we need to do is to reinforce parental responsibility.

BenMcr 24-10-2020 20:14

And you do that by punishing the children?? They're the ones that are hungry.

And even if some parents do what you suggest, the majority don't and do everything they can for their children.

So you'd punish the majority for the actions of a minority?

nomadking 24-10-2020 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36054791)
And you do that by punishing the children?? They're the ones that are hungry.

And even if some parents do what you suggest, the majority don't and do everything they can for their children.

So you'd punish the majority for the actions of a minority?

The only way of protecting the children would be to remove them from the parents at birth.
The majority cope perfectly well, because they behave themselves.
All too often even with moderate spenders, when you look at examples of their finances, the parents are spending some of the money they get for the kids, on themselves.

Labour chucked a whole load of money into tax credits and that hasn't worked. Strange that they never introduced anything.

School meals were never about helping out financially. It was purely a practical matter of having to bus kids longer distances.

BenMcr 24-10-2020 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054796)
All too often even with moderate spenders, when you look at examples of their finances, the parents are spending some of the money they get for the kids, on themselves.

And surely that's a problem of the way the system works and the government should fix that, not a reason not to do it at all?

Also the government have been in power for 10 years. Almost all the children this impacts have only lived under this government. I don't see what Labour did or didn't do before that impacts what we should do now during a worldwide pandemic.

nomadking 24-10-2020 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36054799)
And surely that's a problem of the way the system works and the government should fix that, not a reason not to do it at all?

Also the government have been in power for 10 years. Almost all the children this impacts have only lived under this government. I don't see what Labour did or didn't do before that impacts what we should do now during a worldwide pandemic.

Labour had 13 years and were more than happy to chuck around money, and having to borrow from 2002 onwards to fund it.
The Tax credits system DID give parents a lot more money. That was it's intention.:rolleyes: Giving them more money DIDN'T WORK (allegedly).
Those previously on benefits to one degree or another, will have had little impact on their income, so bogus argument about the pandemic. The arguments ARE NOT just about those affected. The whinging is about long-term ongoing spending, not just a temporary measure.

BenMcr 24-10-2020 21:01

The vote was for a temporary measure.

Mad Max 24-10-2020 21:02

It's an absolute disgrace for any child to be hungry in this country.

nomadking 24-10-2020 21:34

The whinging has being going on for YEARS, it's not just something that has started "overnight".:rolleyes:

Link
Quote:

Footballer Marcus Rashford is pledging to continue his campaign to see free school meals given to children during all school holidays in England, after the government rejected the idea.
The Manchester United and England forward says his call - part of an effort to end child food poverty - is "not going to go away anytime soon".
Nothing to do with the pandemic. It's just being used as an excuse.
Quote:

But asked about the campaign on Thursday, a Downing Street spokesman indicated ministers would not provide free school meals to children in the Christmas break, saying: "It's not for schools to regularly provide food to pupils during the school holidays."
The spokesman added: "We took that decision to extend free school meals during the pandemic when schools were partially closed during lockdown. We're in a different position now with schools back open to all pupils.
"We believe the best way to support families outside of term time is through Universal Credit rather than government subsidising meals."
Quote:

Senior Tory MP Rob Halfon, chairman of the Education Select Committee, said on Twitter the government response was "very disappointing... We need a long-term plan to combat child food hunger, especially given 32% of families have had a drop in income since March."
They get money SPECIFICALLY for the children, what they actually spend it on is another matter. They've had increases and it supposedly hasn't solved anything, so chucking more money at them, isn't going to work either.

1andrew1 24-10-2020 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054807)
The whinging has being going on for YEARS, it's not just something that has started "overnight".:rolleyes:

Link
Nothing to do with the pandemic. It's just being used as an excuse.
They get money SPECIFICALLY for the children, what they actually spend it on is another matter. They've had increases and it supposedly hasn't solved anything, so chucking more money at them, isn't going to work either.

If the parents don't spend it on the children then it's right to feed the chldren directly. You shoudn't allow children to starve because of their parents' failings.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36054803)
It's an absolute disgrace for any child to be hungry in this country.

:clap:

nomadking 24-10-2020 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054811)
If the parents don't spend it on the children then it's right to feed the chldren directly. You shoudn't allow children to starve because of their parents' failings.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Then the additional money given to the parents should be taken off them. They can't be expected to "have their cake and eat it".
Either the parents are responsible, or the kids should be taken off them at birth.
They are never going to learn to be responsible, if you keep chucking money at them when they AREN'T being responsible. You can't reward irresponsibility and then expect it to reduce.:rolleyes:

1andrew1 24-10-2020 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054813)
Then the additional money given to the parents should be taken off them. They can't be expected to "have their cake and eat it".
Either the parents are responsible, or the kids should be taken off them at birth.
They are never going to learn to be responsible, if you keep chucking money at them when they AREN'T being responsible. You can't reward irresponsibility and then expect it to reduce.:rolleyes:

No one's talking about rewarding irresponsibility. We're just saying children shouldn't be punished for their parents' mistakes by starving. This is not a controversial opinion.

Julian 24-10-2020 23:39

Would it be controversial to reduce the money given to dysfunctional parents and give it directly to the provider of the meals for the hungry/starving children.

Cut out the cretin in the middle

jfman 24-10-2020 23:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36054816)
Would it be controversial to reduce the money given to dysfunctional parents and give it directly to the provider of the meals for the hungry/starving children.

Probably not, until it was revealed Serco were valuing a couple of tins of beans and some chips and a loaf (including postage and packing) at £5/day

1andrew1 25-10-2020 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36054816)

Much as I laud the principle,how would it work in practice? If some parents felt they would lose out financially by their chidren having free meals, then they could force their children to avoid the free meals.

nomadking 25-10-2020 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054815)
No one's talking about rewarding irresponsibility. We're just saying children shouldn't be punished for their parents' mistakes by starving. This is not a controversial opinion.

Yes they are, by throwing more money at them, or by reducing their existing costs, so they have more money for themselves.

1andrew1 25-10-2020 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054822)
Yes they are, by throwing more money at them, or by reducing their existing costs, so they have more money for themselves.

How is it reducing their existing costs if they're not actually feeding their children properly anyway?

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

I think the Conservatives have made the wrong call politically on this - 71% support Marcus Rashford. They're gifting their opponents seats at the next election.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...als-drive.html

GrimUpNorth 25-10-2020 09:49

The thing is we all know the government will do the right thing and do a U-turn - hopefully sooner rather than later.

All the usual suspects on here who think this government can do no wrong really should be hanging their heads in shame. Yes, there are bad parents out there but punishing their children seems so so wrong. I hope none of you ever find yourselves on your uppers or that it never happens to anyone you know or love. If it did, I'm sure you'd really enjoy someone on the internet telling you how bad a parent you are and your children going hungry is 100% your fault.

nomadking 25-10-2020 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054830)
How is it reducing their existing costs if they're not actually feeding their children properly anyway?

1) are they not feeding their children 100% of the time?
2) Not 100% of those getting the help will be not feeding their children.
3) is there actually any genuine evidence that they are not feeding their children purely because of money. Or is it just evidence of chaotic parenting. There maybe examples involving drink and/or drugs, but the children should be removed from them. The extra money they get for the children is supporting their habit. You can't get addicted to drink, drugs, or nicotine without having the money to buy them in the first place.

Just another load of nonsense that seeks to just throws money at things, rather than address the true underlying problem(s).

1andrew1 25-10-2020 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36054832)
Yes, there are bad parents out there but punishing their children seems so so wrong. I hope none of you ever find yourselves on your uppers or that it never happens to anyone you know or love. If it did, I'm sure you'd really enjoy someone on the internet telling you how bad a parent you are and your children going hungry is 100% your fault.

Nailed it. :clap:

nomadking 25-10-2020 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36054832)
The thing is we all know the government will do the right thing and do a U-turn - hopefully sooner rather than later.

All the usual suspects on here who think this government can do no wrong really should be hanging their heads in shame. Yes, there are bad parents out there but punishing their children seems so so wrong. I hope none of you ever find yourselves on your uppers or that it never happens to anyone you know or love. If it did, I'm sure you'd really enjoy someone on the internet telling you how bad a parent you are and your children going hungry is 100% your fault.

Didn't realise it all started in 2010 or 2019.:rolleyes: Benefits and Tax credits are much more generous than in the past. Yet Labour didn't introduce anything before 1997, and throwing money at the alleged problem definitely hasn't solved anything. Everything becomes "Oh, the school will deal with that, or the government will deal with that".

So many other examples out there of where people are never held responsible for their actions, so never act responsibly about them. There has to be a consequence to a bad action, or the bad actions will continue indefinitely.

Regardless of extra money, feeding the children or whatever. the children will be suffering in many other ways. So WHAT THEN?

GrimUpNorth 25-10-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054833)
Just another load of nonsense that seeks to just throws money at things, rather than address the true underlying problem(s).

But this government that you seem to defend in any way you can has decided the best way to deal with the issue is to not throw money at it OR to do anything to try and address the underlying problem(s). I look forward to you whataboutism reply with lots of links, bold text, capitals and rolling eyes, but it won't change that the government have got this one wrong and should be ashamed.

Maggy 25-10-2020 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36054836)
But this government that you seem to defend in any way you can has decided the best way to deal with the issue is to not throw money at it OR to do anything to try and address the underlying problem(s). I look forward to you whataboutism reply with lots of links, bold text, capitals and rolling eyes, but it won't change that the government have got this one wrong and should be ashamed.

denphone 25-10-2020 10:35

Quote:

l could have not said it better myself.:tu:

nomadking 25-10-2020 11:33

Quote:

I'm not trying to defend the government, just pointing out the nonsense of it all, and that if it's supposed to be such a good idea, why hasn't it been done decades ago. I would've been saying the same things more than 10 years ago. My opinions didn't magically change in 2010, unlike for many people.:rolleyes: Benefit levels already include money for feeding the kids. As I have to keep pointing out, Labour did trying chucking money at the alleged problem, and it hasn't worked.

If you gave these parents £1m a day, they still wouldn't take responsibility for anything. They would just hand over some money to the kids and tell them to get something themselves. Any neglect usually goes way beyond not feeding them, and has many forms.

Mr K 25-10-2020 12:10

'Starve a kid for a quid' is the latest Govt. slogan.....

1andrew1 25-10-2020 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054840)
I'm not trying to defend the government, just pointing out the nonsense of it all, and that if it's supposed to be such a good idea, why hasn't it been done decades ago. I would've been saying the same things more than 10 years ago. My opinions didn't magically change in 2010, unlike for many people.:rolleyes: Benefit levels already include money for feeding the kids. As I have to keep pointing out, Labour did trying chucking money at the alleged problem, and it hasn't worked.

If you gave these parents £1m a day, they still wouldn't take responsibility for anything. They would just hand over some money to the kids and tell them to get something themselves. Any neglect usually goes way beyond not feeding them, and has many forms.

This should not be a party political matter and 71% agreeing with Marcus Rashford suggests it's not.
No one's suggesting giving anyone £1m a day. We're just talking about feeding starving British kids living in a rich country that can well afford to do so.
That shouldn't negate from preventative measures being undertaken but savage cuts in local authority spending under the guise of austerity have put paid to many of these. You may not think you're defending the government but your omission of this crucial information and an urge to blame Labour who've not been in power since 2010 suggest otherwise.
Quote:

Children's services in England are at breaking point and need a £3.1bn minimum funding boost by 2025, MPs say.
The Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee said current funding levels were unsustainable.
Its report said as services tried to respond to growing demand, amid severe funding pressures, many were reliant on the goodwill of staff.
The government said £494m of funding would help children and social work improvements would reduce demand.
The MPs said overall, England's local authorities had been grappling with budget cuts of 29% since 2010.
The committee follows a long line of organisations, including councils, children's charities and economists, to raise the alarm over funding levels.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48105787

Pierre 25-10-2020 12:36

They were never going to win this or come out looking anything but a set of “see You next tuesdays”. Very poor really, pick your battles.

Mr K 25-10-2020 12:57

Meanwhile back in the HOC, taxpayers are subsidising MPs meals and they're getting a £3k pay rise. Sorted.

1andrew1 25-10-2020 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36054847)
They were never going to win this or come out looking anything but a set of “see You next tuesdays”. Very poor really, pick your battles.

Is this a cynical "dead cat" to distract the public from the Coronavirus handling and lack of success in the Brexit talks?

Pierre 25-10-2020 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054850)
Is this a cynical "dead cat" to distract the public from the Coronavirus handling and lack of success in the Brexit talks?

No. People can be equally angry at their handling of Coronavirus and this.

They had a chance to get some credit, only had to be a short term commitment.

I understand why reasons for not backing it, but they’re not strong enough. They could have won a brilliant PR coup by suspending the MP food allowance And putting that towards this.

I despair sometimes.

1andrew1 25-10-2020 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36054878)
No. People can be equally angry at their handling of Coronavirus and this.

They had a chance to get some credit, only had to be a short term commitment.

I understand why reasons for not backing it, but they’re not strong enough. They could have won a brilliant PR coup by suspending the MP food allowance And putting that towards this.

I despair sometimes.

Given that Marcus Rashford was awarded an MBE, you would think that the government would have the issue on their agenda.

They could have built on the goodwill generated by awarding the MBE by continuing with free school meals through the Civid crisis at little cost and considered making it permanent.

Put in the context of the Triple Lock of £1.5bn a year which is providing increases in pensions of two per cent more than inflation it's a bargain.

Mr K 25-10-2020 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054903)
Given that Marcus Rashford was awarded an MBE, you would think that the government would have the issue on their agenda.

They could have built on the goodwill generated by awarding the MBE by continuing with free school meals through the Civid crisis at little cost and considered making it permanent.

Put in the context of the Triple Lock of £1.5bn a year which is providing increases in pensions of two per cent more than inflation it's a bargain.

Yes but pensioners have a vote, children don't.

Julian 25-10-2020 20:59

Quote:

Tbf the mbe was a joke.

As if gongs needed devaluing there was a classic example.

The awards are truly broken and many recipients and their fans would do well to disregard their significance.

nomadking 25-10-2020 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36054849)
Meanwhile back in the HOC, taxpayers are subsidising MPs meals and they're getting a £3k pay rise. Sorted.

The meals will be subsidised because they are unable to seek out cheaper options. Several years ago I worked in the Westminster area, and we were given Luncheon Vouchers because the company didn't have a subsidised canteen. Nothing unusual about subsidised company canteens.:rolleyes: Often the workforce has no choice because of the locality of the company, eg industrial estate.
The pay rise is NOT one they are awarding themselves, it's part of a system/formula to calculate them.

It is a totally bogus argument to ask for for those receiving free school meals because of covid. Those with free school meals are mostly going to be parents completely on benefits, whose income will be unaffected.:rolleyes:
Here's an example of the bogus arguments.
School meals: 'I remember going to bed with hunger pains'
Now let's pick apart the nonsense.
Quote:

"I was brought up in a household where we didn't have food at home," Danielle recalls.
Her mother was ill, and couldn't work. A single-parent household, Danielle says she and her two siblings were often left to "fend for themselves", in addition to caring for their mum.
"Some days it was hard for her to get out of bed. She really put in a lot of effort but she couldn't cope. I don't hold it against her because she tried," Danielle stresses.
Single-parent, left to "fend for themselves". parent not doing shopping. So was money the actual issue?
Quote:

At the weekend, meals would frequently consist of dry cereal and dry bread.
Overall Schools meals had NOTHING to do with it.:mad:
Would small village primary schools of the time(30 years ago) have had school meals. Those living in villages would've had to spend the money on meals, instead of getting free school meals. Those of us in that situation could manage, if the parent(s) were bothered. Why the discrimination?

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Quote:

It's quotas. The list is filled with people who are there just to fill the quotas.
Quote:

Of the 1,495 recipients, 13% are from a BAME background and 6% have a disability. The list includes 740 women, which represents 49% of the total - down from 51% in the New Years Honours list last year.
How are those figures possible, when there is meant to be so much discrimination, that certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything?:confused:

Maggy 25-10-2020 21:50

These are unprecedented times and with people being supposedly furloughed but actually fired or only receiving partial income now is not the time to be nit-picking about feeding children during school holidays.

nomadking 25-10-2020 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36054918)
These are unprecedented times and with people being supposedly furloughed but actually fired or only receiving partial income now is not the time to be nit-picking about feeding children during school holidays.

That is just the Trojan Horse of an excuse. In no way are any of the proposals targeted at those with a loss of income?
Not only did those already on benefits have an unaltered income, they will have received a council tax reduction of up to £150, and yet they are included.

1andrew1 25-10-2020 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054912)
It's quotas. The list is filled with people who are there just to fill the quotas.
How are those figures possible, when there is meant to be so much discrimination, that certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything?:confused:

I think I saw the white flag of surrender when you threw your strawman in there "certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything". ;)

nomadking 25-10-2020 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054925)
I think I saw the white flag of surrender when you threw your strawman in there "certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything". ;)

Isn't that what the people who constantly shout out about discrimination, are claiming? Isn't their mantra, that certain groups are prevented from fulfilling their full potential? Yes or No?
Either there is no discrimination as those groups are allowed to reach their full potential, or there are quotas and discrimination is used to award them. Which is it?

1andrew1 25-10-2020 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36054927)
Isn't that what the people who constantly shout out about discrimination, are claiming? Isn't their mantra, that certain groups are prevented from fulfilling their full potential? Yes or No?
Either there is no discrimination as those groups are allowed to reach their full potential, or there are quotas and discrimination is used to award them. Which is it?

You said that certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything. Judging by Marcus Rashford's footballing success, this is not the case. If you genuinely feel this is not the case, then by all means open a new thread on the matter but I'm not going to assist further in conveniently taking this thread off topic. ;)

nomadking 25-10-2020 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36054930)
You said that certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything. Judging by Marcus Rashford's footballing success, this is not the case. If you genuinely feel this is not the case, then by all means open a new thread on the matter but I'm not going to assist further in conveniently taking this thread off topic. ;)

Quote:

when there is meant to be so much discrimination, that certain groups aren't allowed to achieve anything
You missed out the preceding phrase of "when is meant to be...", and that implies outside opinion, not my opinion.
The question was asked in this thread as to why did he get an MBE? He didn't get it for football. Perhaps my response would've been better placed responding to Julian's post.
I have a relative that was awarded an MBE for charitable services for children. The difference is that they did it for many years and without publicity, and not for "5 seconds" with a shedload of publicity.

tweetiepooh 26-10-2020 10:51

Things would be much easier if not for fraud. Because of the fraudsters the system ends up costing more and the rules get more and more complex so many who need help miss out.

Then there is the "dignity" thing. When there were proposals that some benefit could be paid in vouchers - e.g. you can buy food/kid's clothes etc with them but not booze - there was big outcry that the system didn't trust recipients.

So while it is good to ensure that kid's aren't going hungry and maybe there does need to be some central support it does need to be focussed. And what about the others in the household? Those too young for school? Are the parents or other household members also going hungry? Maybe communities need (and often are) to play a bigger role, they often know the situations better than any bureaucrat and can be more responsive too. If you know someone is going hungry and can help, then help, don't simply complain that something needs to be done.

peanut 26-10-2020 11:06

Yeah those pesky fraudsters with their iPhone 14s and their 96" TVs, smoking 80 fags a day... Same old, same old.....

jfman 26-10-2020 11:11

Benefit fraud being a tiny fraction of the tax gap. :)

And a tiny fraction of a private sector failing test and trace apparatus apparently.

Maggy 26-10-2020 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36054948)
Benefit fraud being a tiny fraction of the tax gap. :)

And a tiny fraction of a private sector failing test and trace apparatus apparently.

:tu:

BenMcr 26-10-2020 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36054944)
Things would be much easier if not for fraud. Because of the fraudsters the system ends up costing more and the rules get more and more complex so many who need help miss out.

Although Fraud exists, it's low in regards to the overall system:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...-estimates.pdf

Quote:

2.2% of benefit expenditure was overpaid in 2018/19 This remained the same as in 2017/18. It amounted to £4.1bn of overpayments.

1.1% of benefit expenditure was underpaid in 2018/19 This remained the same as in 2017/18. It amounted to £2.0bn of underpayments

Net Government loss from overpayments was 1.6% of benefit expenditure. This remained the same as in 2017/18. £1.1bn of overpayments were recovered in 2018/19 so the net Government loss was £3.0bn.

papa smurf 26-10-2020 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36054953)
Although Fraud exists, it's low in regards to the overall system:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...-estimates.pdf

How many school dinners would £3bn buy

BenMcr 26-10-2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36054959)
How many school dinners would £3bn buy

That's a false argument.

Fixing the reasons behind benefit overpayments and underpayments is something that is not simple or quick.

A temporary extension to free school meals while there is global pandemic is something that gives children the food they need and allows for a proper consideration of the issues once England is in a better position to have that discussion.

papa smurf 26-10-2020 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36054961)
That's a false argument.

Fixing the reasons behind benefit overpayments and underpayments is something that is not simple or quick.

A temporary extension to free school meals while there is global pandemic is something that gives children the food they need and allows for a proper consideration of the issues once England is in a better position to have that discussion.

It wasn't meant as an argument just considering if the gov sorted out these overpayments then there might be a future pot to pay for school meals,i was thinking of the future not now.

BenMcr 26-10-2020 13:33

Ok, sorry in that case. It just seems for some to be the argument for the reason not to do anything now and that's the falsehood.

Hugh 08-11-2020 00:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-54841316

Quote:

Marcus Rashford: Boris Johnson relents over footballer's campaign with £396m food package

Marcus Rashford's campaign to tackle holiday hunger and child poverty in England has been addressed with a £396m package in a government climbdown.

The prime minister telephoned the footballer on Saturday to tell him of the new plans for targeted support over Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays.

Rashford said nearly 1.7 million children would be helped, adding he had a good conversation with Boris Johnson.

GrimUpNorth 08-11-2020 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36056874)

Good.

Mr K 08-11-2020 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36056880)
Good.

Just a shame he felt he had to wait to the US election result to hide the U turn. Even more of a shame for the kids in the October half term.

papa smurf 08-11-2020 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36056886)
Just a shame he felt he had to wait to the US election result to hide the U turn. Even more of a shame for the kids in the October half term.

They've got there chips and turkey twizzlers back so you should be happy or at least less grumpy;)

1andrew1 08-11-2020 10:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36056887)
They've got there chips and turkey twizzlers back so you should be happy or at least less grumpy;)

Mr K's been in chipper form since at least 4.40pm yesterday. ;)

Mr K 08-11-2020 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36056888)
Mr K's been in chipper form since at least 4.40pm yesterday. ;)

Yes the World does have a little bit of hope now :)

RichardCoulter 08-11-2020 20:44

This is good news, though I suspect it's been done as he can't afford to have any more enemies than he needs to after his handling of the pandemic & a poll I posted says that if Brexit results in no deal, most of the public would blame Johnson.