Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709071)

Travelstar 27-05-2020 13:24

VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

Does anyone here have any info about VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON?

RFoG as most of us know is simply a stepping stone technology and it does appear that xPON is cheaper and faster in the long run. It also consumes less power as you don't have a need for as much active kit in the field.

jb66 27-05-2020 19:48

Re: VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

RFog doesnt cost virgin money as the power is from the customers house.

xPON would need different hardware for broadband and the TV service is not compatible with XPON as it uses RF

General Maximus 27-05-2020 21:57

yeah, I think there is a lot of growth in RFoG for VM yet.

gunner45 30-05-2020 15:07

VM plans to upgrade the whole of its network from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 by the end of 2021, and 3.1 can extend RFoG networks with increased spectrum and higher modulation. So, VM is not necessarily in a rush to move to xPON.

In 2019 VM ran a field trial of symetrical DPoE over existing RFoG with an ARRIS E6000 edge router in the hub site but we never heard what was the outcome.

Pierre 31-05-2020 17:50

xPON is being looked as is a load of other stuff.

But with DOCSIS looking at delivering 10G I can’t see them moving away from that architecture any time soon.

Skie 31-05-2020 21:39

If the competition got competent and targeted VM's use of a jittertastic protocol vs the much more latency friendly DSL and FTTP technology then I'm sure VM would cack their pants a little if it meant looking bad for gaming.

Martin_D 31-05-2020 22:59

Good Evening All

Just looking for some thoughts on Virgin HFC or FTTP For gaming & Videos steaming like prime

We have the two options available to us, We will be dropping the TV service at the end of our contact in August with Virgin as we have Amazon Prime & Plex so will just need broadband and mobile sims from them Or BT

Paul 31-05-2020 23:52

Would someone like to translate RFoG & xPON into English .....

Horizon 01-06-2020 13:15

RfoG - fibre optic cables are installed into people's homes replacing the existing coax cables (if installed) then the signals get converted using existing modems and set top boxes.

This is a cheaper method for companies using existing equipment, but still requires lots of street cabinets and heavy maintenance costs.

Xpon - fibre cables are also installed straight into people's homes, but the signal does not get converted and new modems and boxes are needed to deal with the "pure" fibre optic signal coming in.

All new consumer equipment is needed, so is expensive to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run for companies as far less street cabinets are needed thus saving heaps on maintenance costs.

Or something like that.

jb66 01-06-2020 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36037928)
RfoG - fibre optic cables are installed into people's homes replacing the existing coax cables (if installed) then the signals get converted using existing modems and set top boxes.

This is a cheaper method for companies using existing equipment, but still requires lots of street cabinets and heavy maintenance costs.

Xpon - fibre cables are also installed straight into people's homes, but the signal does not get converted and new modems and boxes are needed to deal with the "pure" fibre optic signal coming in.

All new consumer equipment is needed, so is expensive to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run for companies as far less street cabinets are needed thus saving heaps on maintenance costs.

Or something like that.

I disagree the exact same amount of street cabs are needed for both fibre types

Pierre 01-06-2020 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36037897)
Would someone like to translate RFoG & xPON into English .....

RFoG - Radio Frequency over Glass. The optical fibre is used in the same way as Coax, which is not really the optimal use of the fibre but it means that the architecture is wholly compatible with VM's HFC platform.

The architectures of both RFoG and xPON (Passive Optical network) are both the same, they are passive. The only difference is what is on the ends.

If, and by if I mean when, VM were to retire their HFC network, the full fibre network they are building will be able to carry PON.

gunner45 01-06-2020 17:22

One cost effective way of delivering FTTP service is with the use of a passive optical networks (PON). It's a point to multipoint, uses unpowered optical splitters and consists of optical line terminals (OLTs) and optical network units (ONUs) at customer premises.

Different standard groups created different PON standards:
ITU-T G
- BPON
- GPON
- XG-PON

IEEE 802.3
- EPON
- 10G EPON

SCTE
- RFoG

Although RFoG is a type of PON it's never referred to as PON.

RFoG was designed for cable operators who needed to upgrade their HFC network to full fibre without incurring huge costs, and one of the major cost savings is by keeping exactly the same hubs and STBs in customer premises. Here's some high level diagrams of Virgin Media's systems.

HFC
Hub site --- fibre --- optical node --- RF over coax --- distribution cabinet --- RF over coax --- hub/STB

RFoG
Hub site --- fibre --- virtual hub (OLT) --- RF over fibre --- cabinet --- RF over fibre --- ONU -- RF over coax -- hub/STB

As you can see the conversion to/from RF takes place differently: with HFC it's done by the optical node some distance from customer premises but with RFoG done by the ONU inside the termination box on the customer's exterior wall.

Regardless of whether it's HFC or RFoG the transmission of data is still done in accordance with DOCSIS.

Pierre 01-06-2020 23:51

Yeah, I said that in half the time !

Travelstar 09-06-2020 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36037928)

Or something like that.

Exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 36037930)
I disagree the exact same amount of street cabs are needed for both fibre types

There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path. :)

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort. :)

sollp 10-06-2020 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelstar (Post 36039068)
Exactly!

There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path. :)

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort. :)

I think people forget, to get to the eventual cheaper running Rfog you have to spend 100's of millions to get it. When you already have a HFC network that is being upgraded,(not quick enough i might add) it's going to be cheaper to do, then implement Docsis 3.1.