Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Should people be prevented from procreating under any circumstances? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703733)

RichardCoulter 06-10-2016 17:52

Should people be prevented from procreating under any circumstances?

The Wright Stuff had an interesting discussion earlier as to whether some people should not be allowed to procreate.

I believe that, in the most extreme circumstances, some people should be prevented from having children.

The Wright Stuff focussed on the recent case where a paedophile convicted of having 137,000 indecent images of children was allowed to walk free because "he wants to start a family".

Other reasons may include past proven physical or emotional abuse, those giving birth to child after child without the means to look after them etc.

Arguments against this include the belief that the right to procreate is an essential human right.

What do others think?

papa smurf 06-10-2016 18:20

Re: Should people be prevented from procreating under any circumstances?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35862202)
The Wright Stuff had an interesting discussion earlier as to whether some people should not be allowed to procreate.

I believe that, in the most extreme circumstances, some people should be prevented from having children.

The Wright Stuff focussed on the recent case where a paedophile convicted of having 137,000 indecent images of children was allowed to walk free because "he wants to start a family".

Other reasons may include past proven physical or emotional abuse, those giving birth to child after child without the means to look after them etc.

Arguments against this include the belief that the right to procreate is an essential human right.

What do others think?

have you procreated yet

heero_yuy 06-10-2016 18:24

I think that if some couple has a inheritable severe disability then maybe yes. Though who decides this and then how to prevent those people from procreating is probably a step too far. Eugenics anybody?

Kabaal 06-10-2016 18:28

Do i think that certain people shouldn't have children? Yes. Do i think it should actually be enforced? No. That's a road that can only lead somewhere very very dark.

martyh 06-10-2016 18:34

definitely not .Plenty of people should have children removed but never forcibly prevented from having children

ianch99 06-10-2016 19:23

Isn't this proposal one of the basic tenets of a Fascist state?

jb66 06-10-2016 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35862216)
definitely not .Plenty of people should have children removed but never forcibly prevented from having children

What if the people have HIV or Aids?

Hugh 06-10-2016 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35862223)
What if the people have HIV or Aids?

http://mobile.aidsmap.com/HIV-and-ha...y/page/1044918
Quote:

Women living with HIV can have healthy pregnancies and give birth to healthy babies without passing on HIV. Most of the advice for women with HIV is the same as it would be for anyone else thinking about starting a family or having another baby. Some extra steps are necessary to reduce the risk of HIV being passed on.

rogerdraig 06-10-2016 20:18

i voted yes but only for a very limited few the main one being where the person is mentally incapable of properly looking after themselves and or their mental age puts them in the range of not being able to consent. It would be far better to prevent in those circumstances than sort out later. which could either upset them more or leave a child at risk.

Maggy 06-10-2016 20:23

I think of it this way..Having children is NOT a human right.However I am not prepared to live in a society that has forced eugenics.

Mr K 06-10-2016 20:28

Exactly how would you prevent anyone from 'procreating' ?

There was an interesting documentary on Downs syndrome last night, quality of life is in the eye of the beholder. Almost all that prescan positive for the syndrome abort. Maybe some of them should have watched this programme, with some very happy Downs syndrome families. Not against abortion, but life is precious, and nobody should judge what's good for someone else.

rogerdraig 06-10-2016 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35862232)
I think of it this way..Having children is NOT a human right.However I am not prepared to live in a society that has forced eugenics.

i don't either as such and i don't think a physical disability is a reason to and though i think rapists and pedophiles should generally be locked up for good i would not be in favor of using it on them either. However i do think where the mental capability to even risk assess your self then it could be and though it may not be talked about this happens already in one form or another.

TheDaddy 06-10-2016 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35862232)

You already have done, you're not that much younger than my aunt who was nearly sterilised for the crime of promiscuity as a teen, iirc they claimed it was a mental disorder. Think I may bring that up again when some one has the rose tinted specs on banging on about how great things used to be.

Hugh 07-10-2016 11:46

Why use 'procreating' in the title/proposition when 'having children' is clearer?

heero_yuy 07-10-2016 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35862325)
Why use 'procreating' in the title/proposition when 'having children' is clearer?

Or even "Dropping sprogs" :D