Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Elon Musk $44 Billion Twitter deal (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710979)

1andrew1 10-06-2022 07:27

Re: Elon Musk buys Twitter for $44 Billion

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124683)
He’s a clever guy, I’m sure whatever happens will be by his design.

He can also afford to lose a $bn.

Jaymoss 10-06-2022 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36124829)
He can also afford to lose a $bn.

He does not care

Damien 10-06-2022 21:16

Elon Musk hasn't always made the smartest decisions, especially when it comes to Twitter. I wouldn't rule out that this was an excitable flight of fancy that went too far. Let's see if he closes on the deal or not.

Pierre 10-06-2022 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36124901)
Elon Musk hasn't always made the smartest decisions, especially when it comes to Twitter. I wouldn't rule out that this was an excitable flight of fancy that went too far. Let's see if he closes on the deal or not.

Twitter is not worth what Musk offered and he knows it, but he offered so much they were duty bound to accept it.

Musk has demanded that Twitter reveal how many accounts, and therefore users ( I.e advertising consumers …….revenue) are actually fake.

If it turns out a large % of accounts are fake bots, that then devalues the company. Musk can walk away from the deal and the shareholders can sue the board.

Job done.

Damien 10-06-2022 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124904)
Twitter is not worth what Musk offered and he knows it, but he offered so much they were duty bound to accept it.

Musk has demanded that Twitter reveal how many accounts, and therefore users ( I.e advertising consumers …….revenue) are actually fake.

If it turns out a large % of accounts are fake bots, that then devalues the company. Musk can walk away from the deal and the shareholders can sue the board.

Job done.

Well, he can't walk away simply by devaluing the company. He has already committed to buying it and waived his right to perform due diligence. If the shareholders did sue they could easily sue Musk as well.

If he can prove the Twitter broad engaged in fraud or something then he could walk away without penalty but the Bloomberg piece I linked to before explains why that's hard. Especially since Twitter reports its revenue so unless he says they lied about that as well whatever the number of bots is it clearly isn't causing him to misunderstand how much Twitter makes.

We already know he overpaid for Twitter but everyone knew that at the time.

Personally, I think he is trying to be as difficult as possible so Twitter just agree to mutually cancel the deal.

Mick 08-07-2022 22:33

BREAKING: Elon Musk Terminates his deal to buy Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...al-2022-07-08/

Damien 08-07-2022 22:42

Re: [Updated] Elon Musk pulls out of $44 Billion Twitter deal

I am shocked! Who could have seen this coming?!

Pierre 08-07-2022 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 36127727)
BREAKING: Elon Musk Terminates his deal to buy Twitter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/e...al-2022-07-08/

Quote:

Elon Musk said on Friday he was terminating his $44 billion deal for Twitter Inc (TWTR.N), saying that the social media company had failed to provide information about fake accounts on the platform.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36124904)

Job done.

They probably won’t, but it may force shareholders to investigate the actual worth of the company and how it’s being run.

They’ve just missed out on a payday. Twitter is not particularly profitable as a company. Shareholders may decide to change things to make it more saleable.

Either way, Musk has started something.

Damien 08-07-2022 22:49

Well it might well go to court anyway unless Musk pays the termination fee. No word on that yet.

Twitter isn't worth $44 billion and Musk signed the deal just before the wider tech market - including his own shares in Tesla - went south.

Dude111 10-07-2022 21:11

Im not surprised he pulled out,who the hell would want Twitter??

1andrew1 11-07-2022 14:41

Twitter has only made a profit in financial years 2018 and 2020 and has been going since 2010. Unless you have a revolutionary new business model to change it or money to burn, I can't see the case for acquiring it at today's valuations.

If you don't have such a plan, buying Twitter looks like the 21st century equivalent of acquiring a loss-making British newspaper to garner favour and attention from the high and mighty.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...me-of-twitter/

Pierre 11-07-2022 21:19

1 Attachment(s)
Part of the reason Musk probably thought that number of Twitter users may not be accurate

BenMcr 11-07-2022 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36127969)
Part of the reason Musk probably thought that number of Twitter users may not be accurate

No-one disputes there are fake accounts on Twitter. Even Tiwtter themselves say that is the case.

But as Damien pointed out here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36124906)
He has already committed to buying it and waived his right to perform due diligence.

The whole point of due diligence is that you work out any issues before you sign the deal, and ensures you can't back out by saying 'oh I didn't know about X so I don't want to do it now'.

Musk had that option and actively chose to waive it.

1andrew1 11-07-2022 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36127969)

The most important figure is profit and that's audited. If user numbers was important, he would have conducted due diligence to confirm the accuracy of this figure.

As Damien has said, he's pulled out due to the downturn in tech company valuations.

Dude111 15-07-2022 07:21

I read they are trying to sue him :D

What a bunch of idiots.. NO ONE CAN FORCE ANYONE TO BUY IT!!

Just shut it down,.........