Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Telco Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Tesco voip-anyone used it..? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628678)

Vlad_Dracul 17-02-2008 09:59

Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

I am considering a swap to Tesco voip for my home phone using their phone adaptor so that i can use my existing phone hardware. Anyone using it/comments?

Apparently the back off/infrastructure is provided by voicedot

ta

utt 17-02-2008 10:12

Re: Tesco voip-anyone used it..?

Gave it up..

software issues just after it first started, credit top up were a nightmare but have heard its improved

Kymmy 17-02-2008 14:13

Not used thier VoIP but did use Orange VoIP for a bit. Fantastic service when my Mother in Law was touring Australia as the calls were free. Also you would never have known that it was VoIP than analogue line.

A relative uses Tesco and is happy but again they're on ADSL and not Cable but as the bandwidth isn;t that much different up or down I don't see any problem.

Kymmy

Taf 17-02-2008 15:59

My missus uses it to call France.. cheap with no problems so far...

Shaun 17-02-2008 15:59

Try here:

http://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/

30 days money back guarantee if you don't like it too. I've found them to be great. Been with them a few years now. Had about three free routers out of them when ours have given up the ghost or started misbehaving. :)

Fee calls to a long list of countries too. :)

PeteTheMusicGuy 18-02-2008 14:39

Not used it personally and probby would not anyway

chickendippers 18-02-2008 14:49

Tesco VOIP is a rip off, use Skype - the original and best :)

Shaun 18-02-2008 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickendippers (Post 34491328)
Tesco VOIP is a rip off, use Skype - the original and best :)

Best in what way? Can you elaborate for me?

chickendippers 18-02-2008 18:59

Unlimited Landline calls within the UK:
Skype Pro is £1.50/month
Tesco Anytime UK is £5/month

Skype can also be used for video calls, making free calls on a mobile phone (on 3), instant messaging, sending money via PayPal and finding businesses. Tesco mobile does none of these.

UncleBooBoo 24-02-2008 13:43

The OP was looking to replace his home phone line for voip, Skype is only good for people who want to make cheap outgoing calls only and relies on a pc to use. (it also has poor voice quality compared to true voip/sip based providers due to the codec they use!)

A true voip/sip provider allows incoming and outgoing calls with local numbers for all of the uk, you can also use them without the need for any computers. Either via an adapter that allows you to just plug in your normal bt phone into or via a sip phone.

Skype is for amatures or just for people who want something simple to make cheap outgoing calls.

Losttheplot 24-02-2008 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo (Post 34494695)
The OP was looking to replace his home phone line for voip, Skype is only good for people who want to make cheap outgoing calls only and relies on a pc to use. (it also has poor voice quality compared to true voip/sip based providers due to the codec they use!)

A true voip/sip provider allows incoming and outgoing calls with local numbers for all of the uk, you can also use them without the need for any computers. Either via an adapter that allows you to just plug in your normal bt phone into or via a sip phone.

Skype is for amatures or just for people who want something simple to make cheap outgoing calls.

Skypein gives you a phone number. :rolleyes: Amateurs?

I've used Skype abroad and its brilliant for phoning home, I've had three and four way conference calls with family on phones or on their own Skype handsets.
Amateurs!! Mod edit (Gavin): Insult removed

However from home we use Vonage. Free landline calls in the UK and something like 10 other countries. We call Greece once a month maybe for an hour, girlfriend phones her parents virtually every night for an hour, all for £7.99 a month.

UncleBooBoo 24-02-2008 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Losttheplot (Post 34494712)
Skypein gives you a phone number. :rolleyes: Amateurs?

Not one to suite your area code regardless of what part of the country your in! ;)

I belive it's only 02 numbers, not much use to some if your looking to replace your home phone landline now is it! Also skype can pull your number at any time and bin it!! They did that to thousands of users just a couple of months ago!!!

Quote:

I've used Skype abroad and its brilliant for phoning home, I've had three and four way conference calls with family on phones or on their own Skype handsets.
Amateurs!! <removed>.

Like i said it's ok for people who want to make calls! Or those who want to get to know how it all works!! How does that make me a removed.:dozey:

Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members?removed.

Quote:

However from home we use Vonage. Free landline calls in the UK and something like 10 other countries. We call Greece once a month maybe for an hour, girlfriend phones her parents virtually every night for an hour, all for £7.99 a month.

Vonage are a voip/sip based company although they restrict there service to their own hardware only. This has a negative effect for a lot of users as your limited to using settings & codecs not to mention your connection goes all the way round the planet and then back just to make a local call!

That can effect things and often does, check out the vonage forum for proof on that.

Losttheplot 24-02-2008 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo (Post 34494719)

Like i said it's ok for people who want to make calls! Or those who want to get to know how it all works!! How does that make me a <removed>? :dozey:

Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members? <removed>

No your amateur slur wasn't aimed at anyone, it was aimed at everyone who uses Skype.
You've slated Skype and stated Vonage have problems. I've had no problems with either company. Any constructive comments or recommendations to make?

UncleBooBoo 24-02-2008 17:54

How have i slated skype?

And where did i say vonage and skype have problems??

I pointed out both pro's and con's to both companies. ;)

punky 24-02-2008 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleBooBoo (Post 34494719)
Also i thought it was against forum rules to insult other members?

Leave the moderating to the moderators in future. That includes quoting and responding to infractions.

I would also like to remind you that discussion of infraction warnings is prohibited on the open forum.