Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Can we now use the TV anywhere app in the EU? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706210)

RichardCoulter 01-04-2018 23:37

Can we now use the TV anywhere app in the EU?

From today, Sky customers can watch their version of this service whilst temporarily in Europe. I believe that this is also true of BT TV.

Apparently, this is a result of an EU rule.

Does anyone know if VM has implemented this?

Edit: The word 'app was omitted from the title, but I am unable to edit it for some reason.

pip08456 01-04-2018 23:39

Re: Can we now use the TV anywhere in the EU?

Ask VM.

RichardCoulter 02-04-2018 00:20

That would be the right thing to do with normal organisations, but these days ringing VM is a waste of time.

Their foreign call centre workers ask you what information you need, you tell them, then they ask you to repeat it.

If you can then hear or understand what they say next, it's usually a response totally unrelated to what you've asked about or complete nonsense!

E.g. I rang about a broadband outage the other week as I couldn't use my V6 for VOD. The idiot immediately put me through to TV. They explained that VOD won't work without the broadband, so that I would need to speak to them!!

I asked to be put back through to them, only to be told by idiot number 2 that she couldn't as they closed at 8pm. I said I'd just been speaking to then, she was still reading through her robotic script and saying that they were closed as I put the phone down and rang them back myself.

These people are now actually sending out deadlock letters too (from Virgin Mobile). It looks like it was written by a small child, so I'll be sending it to the CEO for his comments after the bank holiday.

ozsat 02-04-2018 08:06

If you actually used the Virgin TV Go app you would have seen the update message which said "Implementation of the new EU Digital Single Market regulations so that you can watch your TV Go live channels and On Demand programmes in any EU member state."
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35942322)
From today, Sky customers can watch their version of this service whilst temporarily in Europe. I believe that this is also true of BT TV.

Apparently, this is a result of an EU rule.

Does anyone know if VM has implemented this?

Edit: The word 'app was omitted from the title, but I am unable to edit it for some reason.

Sirius 02-04-2018 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35942330)
If you actually used the Virgin TV Go app you would have seen the update message which said "Implementation of the new EU Digital Single Market regulations so that you can watch your TV Go live channels and On Demand programmes in any EU member state."

Yes i saw that yesterday when i logged in to watch discovery

Mr Banana 02-04-2018 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35942327)
That would be the right thing to do with normal organisations, but these days ringing VM is a waste of time.

Their foreign call centre workers ask you what information you need, you tell them, then they ask you to repeat it.

If you can then hear or understand what they say next, it's usually a response totally unrelated to what you've asked about or complete nonsense!

E.g. I rang about a broadband outage the other week as I couldn't use my V6 for VOD. The idiot immediately put me through to TV. They explained that VOD won't work without the broadband, so that I would need to speak to them!!

I asked to be put back through to them, only to be told by idiot number 2 that she couldn't as they closed at 8pm. I said I'd just been speaking to then, she was still reading through her robotic script and saying that they were closed as I put the phone down and rang them back myself.

These people are now actually sending out deadlock letters too (from Virgin Mobile). It looks like it was written by a small child, so I'll be sending it to the CEO for his comments after the bank holiday.

Maybe the idiots as you like to call them, looked at your account and thought, oh look its that patronising ignorant fool from the UK, lets pass him from pillar to post for a laugh.

RichardCoulter 02-04-2018 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35942330)

Thanks- it's not something that I have actually used since finding it to be incompatible with Android, but I believe that this has now changed.

I wonder if this service will be withdrawn when we leave the EU?

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35942363)
Maybe the idiots as you like to call them, looked at your account and thought, oh look its that patronising ignorant fool from the UK, lets pass him from pillar to post for a laugh.

If the investigation finds that they are treating some customers less favourably than others, appropriate action will be taken.

I suspect, however, that this is an example of the normal inferior service that they provide. It appears that anything more is beyond their capabilities for much of the time.

pip08456 02-04-2018 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35942367)
Thanks- it's not something that I have actually used since finding it to be incompatible with Android, but I believe that this has now changed.

I wonder if this service will be withdrawn when we leave the EU?

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

If the investigation finds that they are treating some customers less favourably than others, appropriate action will be taken.

I suspect, however, that this is an example of the normal inferior service that they provide. It appears that anything more is beyond their capabilities for much of the time.

If the service is so inferior then there must be a reference to a similar service otherwise how can you judge?
If there is a similar service which is better why are you still using the inferior one???
The choice is yours.

Hom3r 02-04-2018 19:51

I tried to watch a program on my V6 TiVo via my Tablet while at my sister and was told buy the app it couldn't do that.

RobboEdin 02-04-2018 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35942377)
I tried to watch a program on my V6 TiVo via my Tablet while at my sister and was told buy the app it couldn't do that.

If you mean watch a recording from My Shows on your V6 via the Virgin TV Control app then that is correct as recordings can only be watched while the app is on the same local network as the V6.

Hom3r 02-04-2018 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35942380)
If you mean watch a recording from My Shows on your V6 via the Virgin TV Control app then that is correct as recordings can only be watched while the app is on the same local network as the V6.

It was a show that I had recorded

RichardCoulter 02-04-2018 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35942373)
If the service is so inferior then there must be a reference to a similar service otherwise how can you judge?
If there is a similar service which is better why are you still using the inferior one???
The choice is yours.

A reasonable question to ask.

The comparison is to other service providers.

The sole reason that I stay is because I was offered a very good deal to do so, including discounts, extras like virtually free Sky Cinema, 24/7 free telephone calls etc. In return I agreed to be bound by a further contract.

Nevertheless, I still expect good customer service and would otherwise leave because of this.

muppetman11 02-04-2018 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35942377)

Being that the recording is stored locally on your V6's hard drive that's not a surprise.

pip08456 02-04-2018 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35942386)
A reasonable question to ask.

The comparison is to other service providers.

The sole reason that I stay is because I was offered a very good deal to do so, including discounts, extras like virtually free Sky Cinema, 24/7 free telephone calls etc. In return I agreed to be bound by a further contract.

Nevertheless, I still expect good customer service and would otherwise leave because of this.

Then I sure they'll be sorry to see you go when your present contract ends.

RichardCoulter 03-04-2018 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35942394)
Then I sure they'll be sorry to see you go when your present contract ends.

I'll keep the situation under review and decide at the time; it very much depends on whether what they offer me is enough to compensate for having to deal with these idiots abroad.

I wonder if many people will make much use of this new facility. I suppose those away on business might, but I can't imagine many people going on holiday to watch TV!