Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Iran Tension Escalates as Iran Seizes British Vessels In Strait of Homuz (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707801)

Maggy 23-06-2019 09:04

Iran Tension Escalates as Iran Seizes British Vessels In Strait of Homuz

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48735097

Quote:

The US launched a cyber-attack on Iranian weapons systems on Thursday as President Trump pulled out of air strikes on the country, US reports say.

The cyber-attack disabled computer systems controlling rocket and missile launchers, the Washington Post said.

It was in retaliation for the shooting down of a US drone as well as attacks on oil tankers that the US has blamed Iran for, the New York Times said.

There is no independent confirmation of damage to Iranian systems.

The US has also imposed sanctions President Trump described as "major".
I have to say I'm rather concerned about this especially as Trump keeps changing direction.

papa smurf 23-06-2019 09:13

Re: Iran-US crisis

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36000051)

I have to say I'm rather concerned about this especially as Trump keeps changing direction.

Maybe it's better to kill a few computers than kill people at the moment,i think a confrontation is coming but it might not be the USA that carries out any attacks.

TheDaddy 23-06-2019 09:55

I think Donny deserves some credit on this occasion, so what if the planes were or weren't in the air when he changed his mind, people are still alive now and that's the main thing imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J

There is unforseen circumstances for weakening Iran to much, like the Saudis or Turks dominating the region, we just have to hope America is looking at all scenarios this time and learnt from Iraq

Carth 23-06-2019 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36000053)
Maybe it's better to kill a few computers than kill people at the moment,i think a confrontation is coming but it might not be the USA that carries out any attacks.

When damn near everything in the world is controlled by computers . . including weapons/targeting systems/failsafes . . it may not be such a good idea to mess with them :D

1andrew1 23-06-2019 11:21

Looks like Trump's strategy to dishonour the 2015 agreement is not having the outcome he anticipated.
Quote:

His decision to pull out of the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and impose even tougher sanctions on the country has not forced the Islamic Republic back to the negotiating table. Instead they stand accused of attacking tankers in the Gulf and threatening US, British and other forces in the region.

Tehran also appears on course to exceed an agreed limit on uranium stockpiles this week in a move that could spell the end of the hard-fought nuclear deal that Britain, France and other backers still believe is the best way to prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.

The stakes are higher than ever and no one really knows how this will end.
https://news.sky.com/story/a-11747158

Chris 23-06-2019 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36000065)
I think Donny deserves some credit on this occasion, so what if the planes were or weren't in the air when he changed his mind, people are still alive now and that's the main thing imo

It doesn’t sit quite right with me. I mean yes, obviously it’s better that 150 people just going about their day jobs haven’t been blown to hell, but as for Trump’s motivation? I keep thinking about the scene in Schindler’s List where the concentration camp commandant who is partial to randomly shooting inmates from his office window, just because he can, decides not to shoot one after being persuaded that the true measure of power is compassion and restraint. In that case, it was an appeal to his vanity that caused him to stay his hand, but his true nature reasserted itself soon enough and the next prisoner he spotted, got shot dead, just because he could.

I think Trump is known for acts of narcissism, not for acts of compassion.

TheDaddy 23-06-2019 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36000179)
It doesn’t sit quite right with me. I mean yes, obviously it’s better that 150 people just going about their day jobs haven’t been blown to hell, but as for Trump’s motivation? I keep thinking about the scene in Schindler’s List where the concentration camp commandant who is partial to randomly shooting inmates from his office window, just because he can, decides not to shoot one after being persuaded that the true measure of power is compassion and restraint. In that case, it was an appeal to his vanity that caused him to stay his hand, but his true nature reasserted itself soon enough and the next prisoner he spotted, got shot dead, just because he could.

I didn't actually think much about his motivation tbh, you might be right, might also have sonething to do with getting embroiled in another middle eastern misadventure after being so critical of his predecessors for doing just that

peanut 23-06-2019 22:59

I thought it was an obvious tactic for Trump. If he did nothing after giving warnings he'll look weak. If he acted out his threats then it would escalate and won't be good for anyone. So by saying what he did it covers all bases and he comes out of it still intact whilst still forcing another threat in the process. I don't think he had any intention of firing, but a means of getting out of a tricky situation.

Maggy 23-06-2019 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36000184)
I thought it was an obvious tactic for Trump. If he did nothing after giving warnings he'll look weak. If he acted out his threats then it would escalate and won't be good for anyone. So by saying what he did it covers all bases and he comes out of it still intact whilst still forcing another threat in the process. I don't think he had any intention of firing, but a means of getting out of a tricky situation.

Well now I'm reminded of that fable of the boy who cried wolf..

pip08456 24-06-2019 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36000186)
Well now I'm reminded of that fable of the boy who cried wolf..

It has also been mooted that it was a way to root out leakers as well.

That I can believe over narcissism.

Maggy 24-06-2019 08:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36000190)
It has also been mooted that it was a way to root out leakers as well.

That I can believe over narcissism.

But if he keeps employing these tactics then he is in danger of being regarded as a paper tiger.

ianch99 24-06-2019 08:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36000179)

I read that he may have doubled back when reminded that his core voter base expected him to withdraw from foreign conflicts, not start them and so his 2020 chances may be impacted.

pip08456 24-06-2019 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36000197)
But if he keeps employing these tactics then he is in danger of being regarded as a paper tiger.

I said mooted. How true it is no-one knows so why make a mountain out of a molehill. I thought you were educated enough to know what mooted means.
That said I still don't know what the difference between working for a living and staying in acedemia is or why Univesity degree is so necessary.

But that's for another thread.

ianch99 24-06-2019 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36000229)
I thought you were educated enough to know what mooted means

You seem to come across a bit rude here, I am sure this was unintentional

Maggy 24-06-2019 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36000229)
I said mooted. How true it is no-one knows so why make a mountain out of a molehill. I thought you were educated enough to know what mooted means.
That said I still don't know what the difference between working for a living and staying in acedemia is or why Univesity degree is so necessary.

But that's for another thread.

Oh I know what mooted means. Do you know what a paper tiger is?

Mick 11-07-2019 01:09

BREAKING: reports from the US suggest Iran have unsuccessfully attempted to seize a British oil tanker

Maggy 11-07-2019 08:22

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48946051

Quote:

Iranian boats tried to impede a British oil tanker near the Gulf - before being driven off by a Royal Navy ship, the Ministry of Defence has said.

HMS Montrose moved between the three boats and the tanker British Heritage before issuing verbal warnings to the Iranian vessels, a spokesman said.

He described the Iranians' actions as "contrary to international law".

Iran had threatened to retaliate for the seizure of one of its own tankers, but denied any attempted seizure.

Boats believed to belong to Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) approached the British Heritage tanker and tried to bring it to a halt as it was moving out of the Gulf into the Strait of Hormuz.

richard s 11-07-2019 20:02

There is trouble ahead me thinks.

Mr K 11-07-2019 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36002196)
There is trouble ahead me thinks.

Well the Iranians aren't saints but a certain President has been stirring it..... And we are but his humble servants now.

nomadking 11-07-2019 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36002204)
Well the Iranians aren't saints but a certain President has been stirring it..... And we are but his humble servants now.

Link
Quote:

Royal Marines have boarded an oil tanker on its way to Syria thought to be breaching EU sanctions, the government of Gibraltar has said.
The refinery has been subject to EU sanctions since 2014.
1) It is the EU orders we're having to follow.
2) It was Obama.

Mr K 11-07-2019 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36002207)
Link

1) It is the EU orders we're having to follow.
2) It was Obama.

Bit rich of President T to complain about them enriching Uranium beyond a limit in an agreement he's pulled out of ! He's playing games but the Iranians are outsmarting him (not hard).

TheDaddy 11-07-2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36002210)
Bit rich of President T to complain about them enriching Uranium beyond a limit in an agreement he's pulled out of ! He's playing games but the Iranians are outsmarting him (not hard).

I'm not so sure they are outsmarting him, I could be wrong but to my untrained eye it looks like a trap the Iranians are blundering straight into, the very odd thing is donny can't undersrand why they haven't phoned him!!!!

Chris 12-07-2019 12:48

Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

One thing that has made me take more of an interest in Jeremy Hunt lately has been his acknowledgement that the Royal Navy is too small. For a maritime nation with a major interest in global trade it’s insane that our Navy has become as small as it has. It’s all very well that one Type 45 destroyer has the same air defence capability as six of the T42s sent to the Falklands conflict; one T45 still can’t be in six places at once. The navy in the 1980s may primarily have been an anti-submarine force but it still had the numbers to divert to the Falklands or other hotspots (such as, for example, the Armilla Patrol that safeguarded shipping in the Persian Gulf during the Iran-Iraq war).

The Gulf is hotting up again and if Iran decides to provoke a confrontation it is more than able to overcome a single Duke-class frigate. So far all it has done is to test our resolve and found us at least marginally better prepared than when we allowed an entire survey team to get kidnapped and paraded on TV in Tehran wearing cheap nylon suits.

The Navy needs a fast, adequately armed, medium sized ship design that it can build in numbers and deploy globally, sooner rather than later. The best-in-class vessels can take on carrier group duties and let the rest protect our interests patrolling the world’s sea lanes.

Hugh 12-07-2019 13:39

Re: UK ambassador to the USA resigns over leaked cables

The frigate / Type 45 news seems to be being over-dramatised by the media.

It was a pre-planned handover, and there will be two ships there for only a brief period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48958359
Quote:

The reality though is there were already plans to send Duncan to join the frigate HMS Montrose already based in the region.

Montrose has been working hard and is due to undergo routine maintenance. Her crew who have been working at a heightened tempo in recent weeks will also need a break.

Both warships will be operating together in the region for a short period.

Chris 12-07-2019 14:02

Kinda my point ... Duncan is seriously overqualified for sea lane patrol. She’s an air defence destroyer capable of taking down the entire Iranian Air Force (were she fully armed, which admittedly she won’t be on this deployment). The Iranians have been experimenting with swarm tactics. That calls for multiple fast ships in multiple strategic locations, not one destroyer designed to shoot down jets 50 miles away.

denphone 12-07-2019 14:05

U.K. in Talks With U.S. to Boost Protection for Gulf Shipping.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic

Quote:

The U.K. is in talks with the U.S. and other allies about beefing up their military presence in the Persian Gulf to deal with the rising threat to shipping posed by Iran.

Chris 12-07-2019 17:37

I have salvaged a few off-topic posts from the US ambassador thread and moved them here.

richard s 12-07-2019 19:41

HMS Montrose will be coming home for a refit and HMS Duncan will take over duties. Never fear look what else is in the Arabian sea.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-t...abian-sea-navy

Pierre 12-07-2019 20:55

Iran are all mouth and no trousers.

Although I agree, we need to beef up the Navy.

The problem is , much like issues the NHS have with technology and new drugs, is that the products required are just so dam expensive.

Technology is great, but it’s expensive

ianch99 12-07-2019 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36002291)
HMS Montrose will be coming home for a refit and HMS Duncan will take over duties. Never fear look what else is in the Arabian sea.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-t...abian-sea-navy

That's a relief, I though for a minute they had sent both of our ships!

Julian 12-07-2019 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36002308)
That's a relief, I though for a minute they had sent both of our ships!

?

1andrew1 13-07-2019 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36002308)
That's a relief, I thought for a minute they had sent both of our ships!

:D

ianch99 13-07-2019 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 36002315)
?

Meaning after all the cuts to our Armed Forces, we only have 2 ships, 3 tanks and a plane* left ...

* apparently this is not allowed to fly very fast as the paint will peel off

Carth 13-07-2019 14:47

Apparently we now use 'stealth paint' . . . it's that good you can't even see it has been applied :D

ianch99 13-07-2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36002367)
Apparently we now use 'stealth paint' . . . it's that good you can't even see it has been applied :D

but ..

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/928227...rack-pentagon/

Quote:

During one post-flight inspection in November 2011, it was discovered one jet had sustained “bubbling (and) blistering” of its stealth coating, according to the documents obtained by Defense News.

TheDaddy 13-07-2019 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36002367)

It's so good you can't even see the planes, there's row upon row of them, hundreds of them and in a real coup for the intelligence services we managed to convince the world we were daft enough to build aircraft carriers and not have any planes to pur on them when they were stuffed with stealth planes

ianch99 13-07-2019 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36002374)
It's so good you can't even see the planes, there's row upon row of them, hundreds of them and in a real coup for the intelligence services we managed to convince the world we were daft enough to build aircraft carriers and not have any planes to pur on them when they were stuffed with stealth planes

Brilliant! Love it .. carriers with decks of invisible planes! I suppose to make it look more genuine, they have the crew on deck pretending to clean them :)

Damn! :notopic: Post .. going .. going .. gon

Maggy 13-07-2019 22:09

Ok back on topic please

Julian 13-07-2019 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36002366)
Meaning after all the cuts to our Armed Forces, we only have 2 ships, 3 tanks and a plane* left ...

* apparently this is not allowed to fly very fast as the paint will peel off

Thanks

Taf 19-07-2019 19:44

British-flagged tanker diverted to Iran

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49053383

Mick 19-07-2019 21:15

Reports now say two British navy vessels (Tankers) have been seized by Iran, in the Strait of Homuz. Emergency Cobra meeting currently in process. U.S President Donald Trump has said in the last half hour that he is talking with the UK and work with us on this developing news story.

Sephiroth 19-07-2019 21:36

Time to send in the gun boats.

Hugh 19-07-2019 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36003399)
Time to send in the gun boats.

No, it isn’t - it’s time to ascertain what’s happening, and try not to escalate things.

"To jaw-jaw is always better than to war-war"

OLD BOY 19-07-2019 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36003405)
No, it isn’t - it’s time to ascertain what’s happening, and try not to escalate things.

We know exactly what is happening. What's Trump tweeting now?

Hugh 19-07-2019 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36003419)
We know exactly what is happening. What's Trump tweeting now?

No, we don’t - we know what’s being reported (often conflicting reports).

As we have found in the past, what is reported and what is happening often are different things.

nomadking 19-07-2019 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36003405)

That assumes that you're dealing with people that are even remotely sane.

Hugh 19-07-2019 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36003430)
That assumes that you're dealing with people that are even remotely sane.

We have to - he’s an ally... ;)

Maggy 19-07-2019 22:42

Re: Iran Tension Escalates as Iran Seizes British Navy Vessels In Strait of Homuz

Now it's not the US involved..How did Trump manage that?

OLD BOY 19-07-2019 22:45

Re: Iran Tension Escalates as Iran Seizes British Navy Vessels In Strait of Homuz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36003438)
Now it's not the US involved..How did Trump manage that?

Not directly, Maggie, but this is all to do with US sanctions on Iran.

The consequences of this may be beyond Trump's capacity to fathom.

Unless his public persona is all an act.

nomadking 19-07-2019 23:08

Quote:

Tensions between the UK and Iran flared up earlier this month when Royal Marines seized an Iranian tanker which was suspected of breaking EU sanctions.
The UK suspected Grace 1, detained on 4 July near Gibraltar, was carrying oil bound for Syria.
In response to the seizure, Iran threatened to seize a British oil tanker.
Nothing to do with the US.

Pierre 19-07-2019 23:34

Re: Iran Tension Escalates as Iran Seizes British Vessels In Strait of Homuz

Send in the SBS.

Chris 20-07-2019 09:19

Not sure what the Shaky Boat Service can do, unless the mission is to sink it in port... :D

Once the ship is in Iranian waters there can only be a diplomatic solution. The military questions are, how did this happen, and how do we stop it happening again?

Damien 20-07-2019 10:23

This might also increase the urgency of the point you raised the other day Chris, i.e we need a bigger boat(s)

nomadking 20-07-2019 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36003469)
This might also increase the urgency of the point you raised the other day Chris, i.e we need a bigger boat(s)

However many ships we have, they can never be everywhere. It takes time to reach a particular location. Eg Over a week from Gibraltar to Strait of Hormuz via Suez Canal.

Chris 20-07-2019 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36003469)

Iran knows it can never win a game of battleships in the Gulf. It has been working instead on swarm tactics that can overwhelm a large naval vessel’s defences. You see a small example of it in these reports of the Stena bulk carrier being escorted by no fewer than 10 speedboats into Iranian waters. Those same tactics, which mandate the owning of a large number of small, fast craft, enables Iran to go after just about any cargo vessel it chooses, in the absence of a close-by naval vessel, wherever in the Gulf it happens to be.

If we were going to effectively police the Strait of Hormuz we would need numbers, not size. HMS Duncan is a formidable air defence destroyer but she’s designed to protect an area of operations from incoming fast jets by shooting them down at long range. That ability is no use here. HMS Montrose saw off a similar Iranian gambit the other week by being in close proximity and pointing her deck gun at the Iranians. Clearly Iran doesn’t want a shooting war it can’t win, so it backed off. Duncan would be able to do the same if it was in the right place at the right time, but it’s just one ship and clearly no naval vessel was in the right place at the right time to intervene here.

Carth 20-07-2019 11:18

Random thoughts:

Are there only British (UK) ships in that area, or are EU ones also present?

Is the British tanker seized crewed by a solely British crew, or a crew of mixed nationalities?

As the Iranian tanker that initiated this situation was 'stopped' due to suspected breaking of an EU embargo, have there been any comments/actions on these developments by the EU themselves?

How long before we start seeing Iranian TV using videos of the captured crew to escalate the 'feeding frenzy'?

TheDaddy 20-07-2019 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36003477)
Random thoughts:

Are there only British (UK) ships in that area, or are EU ones also present?

Is the British tanker seized crewed by a solely British crew, or a crew of mixed nationalities?

As the Iranian tanker that initiated this situation was 'stopped' due to suspected breaking of an EU embargo, have there been any comments/actions on these developments by the EU themselves?

How long before we start seeing Iranian TV using videos of the captured crew to escalate the 'feeding frenzy'?

The crew aren't British so I suspect their propaganda value is limited

Sephiroth 20-07-2019 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36003482)
The crew aren't British so I suspect their propaganda value is limited

... under our flag, on our territory so to speak and in need of our protection.

Carth 20-07-2019 12:21

Just seen . . apparently Indian, Russian, Latvian and Filipino crew.

one question (or possibly two) answered anyway, can't see those Countries kicking up much of a fuss ;)

TheDaddy 20-07-2019 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36003484)
... under our flag, on our territory so to speak and in need of our protection.

Who said otherwise. What was said in case you read it wrong is the crew won't have to put up with being used in a propoganda circus

Chris 20-07-2019 15:22

In maritime terms it’s the flag that matters, much more so than the nationality of anyone on board. Britain has an obligation to the ship because it is registered here and flies the Red Ensign.

TheDaddy 20-07-2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003501)
In maritime terms it’s the flag that matters, much more so than the nationality of anyone on board. Britain has an obligation to the ship because it is registered here and flies the Red Ensign.

Again in what way is that relevant to what was posted, exactly it isn't

Sephiroth 20-07-2019 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36003505)
Again in what way is that relevant to what was posted, exactly it isn't

If you are economical with your words, they are open to inference as to what was not said.

TheDaddy 20-07-2019 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36003506)
If you are economical with your words, they are open to inference as to what was not said.

I assumed it was clear to all Carth referencing the capture of British sailors ten plus years ago and their subsiquent parading for propoganda purposes by the Iranian authorities and that this won't happen this time due to none of the crew being British, my mistake wasn't being economical with words, it was overestimating the audience

Maggy 21-07-2019 11:33

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...CMP=GTUK_email

Quote:

Boris Johnson will be tested by a major international crisis in his first days as prime minister, senior military figures and politicians have warned, after Iran seized a British-flagged tanker in a move that raised tensions in the Gulf to new heights

Johnson, who is expected to win the race to succeed Theresa May as Tory leader and be installed as the new prime minister on Wednesday, was kept informed about the spiralling crisis on Saturday by his rival for the top job, Jeremy Hunt, whom he is expected to reappoint as foreign secretary.

The former first sea lord Admiral Lord West, writing in the Observer, has said the British government should have done more to protect UK ships in the Gulf in recent days and suggests those responsible for such decisions were distracted by the race for No 10.

Under a new prime minister, he says, the government must now focus on the crisis or risk a descent into war.

“This crisis has developed as the eyes of our political establishment have been focused on the election of a new prime minister,” West says. “Whoever wins is going to have to face a major international crisis as soon as he is in post. It cannot be ignored because of Brexit.” He adds: “There are very real risks of a miscalculation or foolhardy action leading to war.”

Sephiroth 21-07-2019 11:48

It wouldn't be foolhardy to put more frigates into the area and protect our interests and shipping.

Hugh 21-07-2019 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36003576)
It wouldn't be foolhardy to put more frigates into the area and protect our interests and shipping.

As Chris posted on the previous page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003472)
Iran knows it can never win a game of battleships in the Gulf. It has been working instead on swarm tactics that can overwhelm a large naval vessel’s defences. You see a small example of it in these reports of the Stena bulk carrier being escorted by no fewer than 10 speedboats into Iranian waters. Those same tactics, which mandate the owning of a large number of small, fast craft, enables Iran to go after just about any cargo vessel it chooses, in the absence of a close-by naval vessel, wherever in the Gulf it happens to be.

If we were going to effectively police the Strait of Hormuz we would need numbers, not size. HMS Duncan is a formidable air defence destroyer but she’s designed to protect an area of operations from incoming fast jets by shooting them down at long range. That ability is no use here. HMS Montrose saw off a similar Iranian gambit the other week by being in close proximity and pointing her deck gun at the Iranians. Clearly Iran doesn’t want a shooting war it can’t win, so it backed off. Duncan would be able to do the same if it was in the right place at the right time, but it’s just one ship and clearly no naval vessel was in the right place at the right time to intervene here.

We have 13 frigates, and 15-30 large British ships go through the Straits every day.

heero_yuy 21-07-2019 14:29

Points towards using convoys. Then the naval vessels can provide effective cover.

Carth 21-07-2019 14:29

Did someone mention War?

I can hear the arms factories gearing up already, and cries of "just what we need to get the country back into a stable economy" :rolleyes:

papa smurf 21-07-2019 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36003600)
Did someone mention War?

I can hear the arms factories gearing up already, and cries of "just what we need to get the country back into a stable economy" :rolleyes:

It's good for buisiness;)

Hugh 21-07-2019 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36003611)
It's good for buisiness;)

And bad for those killed and maimed... :(

456 UK Armed Forces personnel have been killed in Afghanistan (the Forever War, which has been going on for over 18 years), with thousands, if not tens of thousands, permanently injured for the rest of their lives, physically and mentally.

To paraphrase BJ, "frak business!".

Mick 22-07-2019 10:36

BREAKING: UPDATE Iran says it has arrested 17 suspects and sentenced a number of them to death, all Iranian, after dismantling a CIA spy ring, as tensions soar between the Islamic republic and arch-enemy the United States. Source AFP News Agency.

Taf 22-07-2019 12:07

Russia has sided with Iran. Obviously.

richard s 22-07-2019 19:54

Bring back the MTB's (2nd world war type) fast motor torpedo boats armed to the gunnels. They would be cheaper to run than Frigates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLBea7OiNc

Hugh 22-07-2019 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36003743)
Bring back the MTB's (2nd world war type) fast motor torpedo boats armed to the gunnels. They would be cheaper to run than Frigates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLBea7OiNc

Have to buy them, outfit them, transport them there, train the crews and the maintenance crews, put the support infrastructure into place - might take a while...

Hom3r 22-07-2019 20:33

Send the SAS to take back the Tanker.

After all we know what happened during the Iranian hostage seige back in the 80's

Taf 22-07-2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36003751)
Send the SAS to take back the Tanker.

After all we know what happened during the Iranian hostage seige back in the 80's

It's in a port, probably surrounded by heavy weaponry, and would take ages to power up and then slowly move off. Impossible.

And any attack on it would mean the end of the crew.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:40 ----------

The Iranians knew they were no match for International heavy warships, so concentrated on building thousands of fast boats that would be able to swarm attack any intruders.

I'm sure that many are fitted with H.E. charges so they could be used like kamikaze weapons.

1andrew1 22-07-2019 20:58

I see that Hunt is calling for a European alliance. Couldn't make it up! ;)

Chris 23-07-2019 00:38

Why not? Military alliances have existed between the sovereign nation states in Europe since long before the EU and will continue long after it’s a fading memory.

1andrew1 23-07-2019 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003768)
Why not? Military alliances have existed between the sovereign nation states in Europe since long before the EU and will continue long after it’s a fading memory.

Threatening a no-deal Brexit then pleading for help as we downsized our navy too much is cake-and-eatism at its finest.

Chris 23-07-2019 09:11

The military is entirely outside of the purview of the EU. Brexit is not a factor here and it will not become the topic of discussion in this thread.

Maggy 23-07-2019 09:15

The only connection to Brexit in this situation is that the government has allowed their attention to concentrate on that rather than other just as important issues like the Iran situation.So let's not make this a Brexit thread.

jonbxx 23-07-2019 09:16

If you have a geeky bone in your body, you can see the traffic through the Straits of Hormuz here - https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:26.4/zoom:9

Plenty of traffic still! In answer to a question earlier about other EU registered ships going through, I can see Greek and Cypriot tankers going through at the moment

nomadking 23-07-2019 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36003770)
Threatening a no-deal Brexit then pleading for help as we downsized our navy too much is cake-and-eatism at its finest.

1) It was implementing EU sanctions that triggered the latest set of events.
2) It's not just UK ships sailing in the area.
3) The Navy cutbacks started before 2010.
4) Any imaginary extra ships and imaginary extra crew would have been elsewhere and would have taken weeks to reach the Gulf.
5) Other countries in the EU such as France and Italy don't have a lot more ships than the UK. They probably cut back their navies as well.

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003772)
The military is entirely outside of the purview of the EU. Brexit is not a factor here and it will not become the topic of discussion in this thread.

Apart from this.
Link

Quote:

The Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) enables the Union to take a leading role in peace-keeping operations, conflict prevention and in the strengthening of the international security. It is an integral part of the EU's comprehensive approach towards crisis management, drawing on civilian and military assets.
For the past 10 years the EU has successfully deployed a CSDP military naval operation to fight piracy off the coast of Somalia. Today the threat of piracy has been minimised. At the same time the operation was tasked with monitoring fishing activity and reporting any illegal activity. Improved security conditions now allow communities to engage in fishing activities supported by EU and UN missions and initiatives.

Maggy 23-07-2019 09:28

This is NOT a Brexit page.

denphone 23-07-2019 09:30

Navy cutbacks started in the 90's after the cold war and here are the sizes of the British , Italian and French navy's below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...yal_Navy_ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nch_Navy_ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ian_Navy_ships

Mr K 23-07-2019 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36003782)
Navy cutbacks started in the 90's after the cold war and here are the sizes of the British , Italian and French navy's below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...yal_Navy_ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nch_Navy_ships

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ian_Navy_ships

Yes but if we worked together Den, we'd be more effective, Goes for a lot of things really, we are a small country about to become smaller. As long as we're wearing a Union Jack underpants everything will be ok, you'll see.

denphone 23-07-2019 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36003784)
Yes but if we worked together Den, we'd be more effective, Goes for a lot of things really, we are a small country about to become smaller. As long as we're wearing a Union Jack underpants everything will be ok, you'll see.

l don't disagree with that sentiment Mr K.

Pierre 23-07-2019 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36003784)

I agree 100%, but we don’t have to be in a political union to work together.

Chris 23-07-2019 19:20

Indeed. NATO works rather well without its own body of law, Parliament or anthem. It has done far more to guarantee European peace than the EU ever will.

Bilateral arrangements are flexible and effective and I’m confident something can be put in place to protect shipping in the strait.

jonbxx 24-07-2019 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003856)
Indeed. NATO works rather well without its own body of law, Parliament or anthem. It has done far more to guarantee European peace than the EU ever will.

Bilateral arrangements are flexible and effective and I’m confident something can be put in place to protect shipping in the strait.

You might want to check this out - NATO Anthem - https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_150419.htm

Chris 24-07-2019 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 36003895)
You might want to check this out - NATO Anthem - https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_150419.htm

“NATO hymn,” in fact. Close, but no cigar. ;)

1andrew1 24-07-2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36003775)
3) The Navy cutbacks started before 2010.

I'm not sure where 2010 comes into the equation - I said we downsized our navy too much.

richard s 24-07-2019 20:12

That showed up in the Falklands war... with HMS Victory being scrapped.

Maggy 24-07-2019 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36003974)
That showed up in the Falklands war... with HMS Victory being scrapped.

But she's still in dry dock in Portsmouth Dockyard..;)

denphone 25-07-2019 13:29

The UK government has said it will provide a Royal Navy escort for British-flagged ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz - amid increasing diplomatic tensions in the Gulf.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49110331

richard s 25-07-2019 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36004001)
But she's still in dry dock in Portsmouth Dockyard..;)

Nice one Maggy I should have said the air-craft carrier Ark Royal.:o:

Chris 25-07-2019 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36004125)
Nice one Maggy I should have said the air-craft carrier Ark Royal.:o:

It’s simplistic to say Ark Royal (Audacious class) was just the victim of cutbacks. It was a WW2 era design that required fairly constant modifications and repairs throughout its service life.

The Invincible class light carriers came into service within 3 years of Ark Royal’s decommissioning, two of them in time for the Falklands war. The government had realised by the mid 1970s that it was a strategic error not to have fixed-wing aircraft launching capability at sea and ordered its new fleet of anti-submarine cruisers, still on the drawing board at the time, to be modified to carry a navalised harrier jump jet. The older HMS Hermes also remained in service at the time of the Falklands war.

ianch99 27-07-2019 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36003901)
“NATO hymn,” in fact. Close, but no cigar. ;)

I think Jon can claim the cigar:

https://www.forces.net/news/nato-off...nthem-alliance

Quote:

NATO Officially Adopts Hymn As The Anthem Of The Alliance

pip08456 27-07-2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36004316)

Not really, from your link.

Quote:

After a long journey, this piece of music has finally become the official "NATO Hymn" when the North Atlantic Council approved it on 3 January 2018.