Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM General News Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703061)

Pierre 29-03-2017 19:13

Re: John Malone/Liberty/VM General News Thread

Well the top man in charge of Lightening has left to "pursue other interests"

Don't know who the four are but should be easy enough to work out.

I'd heard stories that this was going on. Not too surprising really. The Lightening team were/still are under immense pressure to hit the numbers. Seems that some would rather try to fudge it to pacify rather than come clean and disappoint.

Kushan 30-03-2017 13:27

Seems problems like that run deep in certain parts of Virgin. I do distinctly remember being on certain teams that were "trailing" certain processes, except the results were planned out ahead of time and nobody wanted to listen to anything different.

Pierre 30-03-2017 18:48

Well I know who's gone now.

Aside of that mix-reporting to the SEC is a serious issue, you could quite easily find yourself extradited to US and banged up.

What is does imply is that there is a culture of fear in some parts of the business, fearful of telling the truth that you haven't hit the numbers.

heero_yuy 30-03-2017 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35892275)
Well the top man in charge of Lightening has left to "pursue other interests"

Spending more time with his family. :D

Suddenly un-busy. :rofl:

1andrew1 01-04-2017 16:02

The Times is today talking up an LGI-ITV deal.
Quote:

Speculation swirled around ITV again yesterday after a series of complex transactions involving Goldman Sachs and Liberty Global sent its shares sharply higher in the final minutes of trading...
On Wednesday, Liberty Global disclosed that it had loaned out nearly 400 million shares, but at the same time it had acquired an interest in an equal number of shares. It is understood that Liberty Global, which has been named as a potential buyer of ITV, has loaned some shares to Goldman Sachs as part of a financing of its position. It has the right to recall them at any time.
Source (subscription)

denphone 01-04-2017 16:03

Well we shall see Andrew as you do have a penchant for optimism sometimes.:)

1andrew1 01-04-2017 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35892806)
Well we shall see Andrew as you do have a penchant for optimism sometimes.:)

I'm quite happy with ITV staying independent, I think they do what they do well. But maybe it could give VM leverage to get a certain oceanic channel from Sky?

denphone 01-04-2017 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35892813)
I'm quite happy with ITV staying independent, I think they do what they do well. But maybe it could give VM leverage to get a certain oceanic channel from Sky?

Well Virgin so far have been trying for 5 years without success yet.

1andrew1 01-04-2017 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35892814)
Well Virgin so far have been trying for 5 years without success yet.

Not misnamed then. ;)

muppetman11 01-04-2017 21:59

Another terrestrial channel in American ownership no thanks :td:

denphone 02-04-2017 05:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35892849)
Another terrestrial channel in American ownership no thanks :td:

l agree MM as history has taught us to be wary but many a time avaricious shareholders can't wait to make a fast buck sadly and thus sell out.

1andrew1 03-04-2017 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35892872)
l agree MM as history has taught us to be wary but many a time avaricious shareholders can't wait to make a fast buck sadly and thus sell out.

It's really the system though. The shareholders are largely pension funds and PEPs etc who are tasked with getting the best return for their investors and pensioners. If they decide not to, their funds will suffer and they will be replaced by those who are prepared to make such decisions.
At the moment, it's all informed speculation on The Times's part which has newspapers to sell so it won't be averse to publishing this type of article!

muppetman11 03-04-2017 18:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35893012)
It's really the system though. The shareholders are largely pension funds and PEPs etc who are tasked with getting the best return for their investors and pensioners. If they decide not to, their funds will suffer and they will be replaced by those who are prepared to make such decisions.
At the moment, it's all informed speculation on The Times's part which has newspapers to sell so it won't be averse to publishing this type of article!

I'm well aware of the reasoning and how these things work but my point still stands do we really want all our terrestrial channels being run by Americans ?

1andrew1 03-04-2017 20:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35893103)
I'm well aware of the reasoning and how these things work but my point still stands do we really want all our terrestrial channels being run by Americans ?

I was responding to Don's argument that shareholders were avaricious, I was not contradicting any points you had made.
I too would prefer it if ITV was independent. Reports today suggest that LGI is not acquiring any additional shares.
Quote:

Reuters ITV's shares pulled back on Monday after Liberum analysts said that it had spoken with the company and ITV had said that the move was not Liberty increasing their stake in ITV.
http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKBN1750ZU

Horizon 04-04-2017 21:25

Perhaps the Liberty/GS loan could be related to Vofafone instead?