Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

bigbadcol 11-03-2008 10:42

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhormUKPRteam (Post 34504567)
Hi all
Phorm will be hosting another live webchat with the CEO and CIO tonight at 20.30 UK time - again the URL is http://www.webwise.com/chat
Thanks
PhormUKPRTeam

Great I am sure you will tel the truth as per your patent aplication. and explain. the following from....

http://www.freshpatents.com/Targeted...hp?type=claims

20080052161 - Alteration of promotional content in media works - A classification method .

{so you are going to alter web pages}

20080052171 - System and method for targeting advertisements - An advertisement selection system is presented in which vectors describing an actual or hypothetical market for a product or desired viewing audience can be determined. An ad characterization vector is transmitted along with a consumer ID. The consumer ID is used to retrieve a consumer characterization vector which is correlated ...

{Oh you use a consumer id so not anonimous then)

"context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

{ so you do collect demographic data historical data and associate them with an IP address. You must be hiding the truth when you say IP addresses are not collected. Your Patent says they are

Stop spinning a lie you are a TROLL

Other forum reader please read the patent. It is a record of what privacy invasion is possible with this technology.

Stop Phorm now and sign the patition at

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/

popper 11-03-2008 11:09

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=8925
"
Privacy watchdog investigates Phorm

OUT-LAW News, 11/03/2008

Privacy watchdog the Information Commissioner is investigating advertising technology company Phorm over a deal it has cut with the UK's top internet service providers.

The deal allows ISPs a cut of ad revenue in return for providing data on customers' web use and has attracted controversy since its announcement four weeks ago, with some users fearing for their privacy.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) requested details of the technology and the deal from Phorm and the ISPs involved, BT, Virgin Media and Carphone Warehouse.

"At our request, Phorm has provided written information to us about the way in which the company intends to meet privacy standards," said an ICO spokesperson. "We are currently reviewing this information. We are also in contact with the ISPs who are working with Phorm and we are discussing this issue with them."

Phorm has said that the information about a user's activity is not connected to individual identities, which protects user privacy.

OUT-LAW.COM has sought answers to a series of questions from Phorm since the announcement of the deal weeks ago, but the company has not provided answers or made a representative available for interview.
Company chief executive Kent Ertegrul told The Register last week, though, that he believes users should have no privacy concerns.

The company commissioned Simon Davies from privacy pressure group Privacy International to analyse the technology. He said he was satisfied that what he saw was sound from a privacy point of view.

"It is true to say that from everything we saw, and we think we saw everything, the system seems to not use personally-identifiable information," he told OUT-LAW.COM. "It works on the basis of a cookie that seems to have no information on the machine it's embedded in.

I can't see where their system can draw any inferences or information about the computer or the user."
"

Jayceef1 11-03-2008 11:17

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34504555)
You never have and or do not have a case to rest.

I see you are on a mission to dismiss everything or every concern people genuinely have about Phorm - so what is the point in arguing with someone who believes black is white?

Just take on board the fact that some users and there is a lot of these, that they do not want to have their data tracked by their ISP so it can be sent to a third party such as Phorm. End of story.

I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future. A lot is of this is based on the BT implementation which is far more advanced that the others. CPW look like they will implement differently and VM could do different still. When we "know" exactly how it will work then you can make the judgement call. I know some will say not at any cost but others may not providing the safeguards are adequate or they put their own solution in place and some will not care at all.

Unless it is ruled out completely by the European commisison then it is highly likely that it will happen in some form whatever anyone thinks and most other ISPs are likely to follow suit. I am not for it but it may be something that we have to live with for cheap broadband.

popper 11-03-2008 11:40

http://www.out-law.com/page-4

"OUT-LAW Services

OUT-LAW is part of Pinsent Masons which is among the 100 largest law firms in the world. We can help you with a full range of legal solutions. Here you'll find a selection of our services."

its interesting that Outlaw a law firm, cant get answers from Phorm, as per above story.

its also interesting that BT did apparently run unlawful trials last year on a selection of their userbase using this very same Phorm patent pending Kit.

its also interesting that an effected BT tech user, happens to grab a dataset of this web traffic while this trial is taking place, and discovers several things about what it is doing to his data stream.

its also interesting that infact Phorm didnt register with the data protection registrar so commiting an offence,until at least 6 months AFTER this Unlawful BT data sharing trial took place.

thats enough interesting facts for now then, i hope you agree...

Florence 11-03-2008 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayceef1 (Post 34504589)
I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future. A lot is of this is based on the BT implementation which is far more advanced that the others. CPW look like they will implement differently and VM could do different still. When we "know" exactly how it will work then you can make the judgement call. I know some will say not at any cost but others may not providing the safeguards are adequate or they put their own solution in place and some will not care at all.

Unless it is ruled out completely by the European commisison then it is highly likely that it will happen in some form whatever anyone thinks and most other ISPs are likely to follow suit. I am not for it but it may be something that we have to live with for cheap broadband.

You think this is cheap BB wake up I have a friend in Sweden he moved there from Wales 2 yrs ago his BB connection is 100meg down 2.5meg up nd he pays less than I do for package 2 with Virgin..

Anyone who does a little work from home occasionaly wil have all the works details picked up by this Phorm, It will take a simple script an a few seconds and without your knowledge Phorm could have your name address and telephoine number if it is stored on your PC...

Would you give your bank details to a person who claims to be a reformed thief?

Would you give a person who says he is a reformed Car thief your Jaguar keys?

Your PC has hidden around it personal details about you a simple line of script to those who are not programmers will look like it doesn't pose a threat but this script could reveal everything about you. Your PC holds more information than you would tell your bank manager about yourself and once Phorm has their cookie on your PC they can change the script rules you wouldn't know and your personal details are already for them to farm out to highest bidder. You wouldn't even know they had gathered this information since you had already accepted that they could gather info they just moved the goal posts a little.

good example is how your ISPs change tearms and conditions to suit them at any time or like how VM (or NTL at the time) added in the FUP policy all without prior knowledge the same can and will happen with phorm since he has patented it to do more than he is telling people this is the start once started it wil be hard to turn back and our freedom will be gone.

bigbadcol 11-03-2008 11:58

Just one other interesting fact.

It is intresting that Phrom's PR Puppy has not commented on the outlaw story.

Prehaps that is because Out-Law are a Law Firm.!!

PhormUKPRteam 11-03-2008 12:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34504603)

Your PC has hidden around it personal details about you a simple line of script to those who are not programmers will look like it doesn't pose a threat but this script could reveal everything about you. Your PC holds more information than you would tell your bank manager about yourself and once Phorm has their cookie on your PC they can change the script rules you wouldn't know and your personal details are already for them to farm out to highest bidder. You wouldn't even know they had gathered this information since you had already accepted that they could gather info they just moved the goal posts a little.

Again to reiterate the point Webwise can never know who you are or where you've browsed. All that is ever stored is a random number, advertiser categories eg sport or travel and a timestamp. You can permanently opt out by blocking cookies from the domain, www.webwise.com.

ceedee 11-03-2008 12:08

Quote:

I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future. A lot is of this is based on the BT implementation which is far more advanced that the others. CPW look like they will implement differently and VM could do different still. When we "know" exactly how it will work then you can make the judgement call.

Well we're not going to "know" exact details until Phorm is operational and I have a suspicion that it might be a bit tricky to get it changed then!
What will you do if Phorm/VM decide at some time in the future to start quietly recording further behavioural data (per the patent)?
Do you think they'll give you an opt-out?

Quote:

I know some will say not at any cost but others may not providing the safeguards are adequate or they put their own solution in place and some will not care at all.
It's quite simple: should ISPs (and thereby, unknown third parties) be permitted to obtain, analyse and profit from our private browsing data?
The spirit, if not the actual letter, of data protection and privacy laws says it's not allowed without full and express consent (which we can't give because we don't "know" what they'll do tomorrow) but you seem to think we should just let them implement it before protesting?

Quote:

I don't receive "cheap broadband" -- I pay well over comparable "cheap" ADSL offers because I want a reliable and secure connection. If VM won't provide it, then I'll be switching back to a security-conscious ADSL provider at considerably higher costs.

If you want to roll over and let Phorm and VM drastically alter the basis of the internet that's fine by me, just stop spouting your defeatist nonsense at folks that don't.

Florence 11-03-2008 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504594)
http://www.out-law.com/page-4

"OUT-LAW Services

OUT-LAW is part of Pinsent Masons which is among the 100 largest law firms in the world. We can help you with a full range of legal solutions. Here you'll find a selection of our services."

its interesting that Outlaw a law firm, cant get answers from Phorm, as per above story.

its also interesting that BT did apparently run unlawful trials last year on a selection of their userbase using this very same Phorm patent pending Kit.

its also interesting that an effected BT tech user, happens to grab a dataset of this web traffic while this trial is taking place, and discovers several things about what it is doing to his data stream.

its also interesting that infact Phorm didnt register with the data protection registrar so commiting an offence,until at least 6 months AFTER this Unlawful BT data sharing trial took place.

thats enough interesting facts for now then, i hope you agree...

Knew just proves we cannot trust a word coming from Phorm. I will copy this over to ISPr if you don't mind, the Phorm PR team have been busy on there spamming the copy and paste information.

ceedee 11-03-2008 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhormUKPRteam (Post 34504605)
Again to reiterate the point Webwise can never know who you are or where you've browsed. All that is ever stored is a random number, advertiser categories eg sport or travel and a timestamp. You can permanently opt out by blocking cookies from the domain, www.webwise.com.

You've obviously not read all of the the patent:
[0042] As explained above, the context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc.
@PhormUKPRteam: How long is the contract between your company and Phorm?
You are solely here to put Phorm's case until the fuss quietens down, right?

:td:

none 11-03-2008 12:17

On a slight side note:

Knocked up another batch to choose from

av – 100x100
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6...100x100ii7.jpg

Code:

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/6585/avdonotwant100x100ii7.jpg

av – 120x120
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Code:

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9264/avdonotwant120x120mm2.jpg

sig
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Code:

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8183/sigdonotwantmp1.gif
<free to share>

popper 11-03-2008 12:18

copy away,add any other interesting facts etc, as long as its not for profit.

its also a good thing to put a direct url to the CF board or thread so as to help grow the readership, the more the meryer ;)

bigbadcol 11-03-2008 12:19

Quote:

Still the same party line. CAN YOU READ Mr PR Puppy

I refer you to the patent once again which states

".......the context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

So The Context reader can store IP addresses, Demographic data, urls. etc.

Oh and Mr PR puppy, are you the same person who who was previously UKTechTeam and isn't tech and doesn't work for Phorm but actually a PR company called Citigate Drew Rogerson (?). (Why don't you set your sig accordingly so we know?) (thanks felixcatuk for that)

The patent is the facts of your system. No amount of spin will cover that up.

Thank you

Traduk 11-03-2008 12:36

Quote:

Your assertions may be absolutely 100% true but what weight does it carry in the total context of what is proposed.

Phorm's CEO appears to be splitting the various inter-related technical aspects and companies into modules and making definitive statements about what is not, or cannot be seen or done by each and any as though they are unrelated entities. I am afraid that you have just done exactly the same and it doesn't matter one iota what various parts of the whole can or cannot do as it's the whole entity that is the subject of concern.

It is entirely possible to break down many factors in any situation into benign little modules but when combined into the whole they can have very different characteristics.

Florence 11-03-2008 12:38

Quote:

Just to remind you the PATENT Phorm has applied for can allow this to happen without the customer’s knowledge. There you go again this should be OPT-IN not opt-out it is not what pay VM for and is an invasion on my freedom, human and personal rights.

Since you avoid getting answers to my earlier questions on who controls the updating scripts, updates the servers then this will always be like putting a pedophile in charge of a primary school.

~$ su 11-03-2008 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34504607)
It's quite simple: should ISPs (and thereby, unknown third parties) be permitted to obtain, analyse and profit from our private browsing data?

If you want to roll over and let Phorm and VM drastically alter the basis of the internet that's fine by me, just stop spouting your defeatist nonsense at folks that don't.

I see another kind of nonsense here.

Phorm aren't doing anything that isn't already done by other companies and hasn't been done for many years.

You try being an ISP and not having certain information about your customers on your servers and databases when all their traffic is going through you.

If you don't like what Phorm and VM are doing, complain, opt-out, or use a proxy.

It's that simple.

Florence 11-03-2008 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadcol (Post 34504618)
Still the same party line. CAN YOU READ Mr PR Puppy

I refer you to the patent once again which states

".......the context reader may be configured to more than just keyword and other contextual data pertaining to a given web page. The context reader may also include behavioral data (e.g, browsing behavior), other historical data collected over time, demographic data associated with the user, IP address, URL data, etc."

So The Context reader can store IP addresses, Demographic data, urls. etc.

Oh and Mr PR puppy, are you the same person who who was previously UKTechTeam and isn't tech and doesn't work for Phorm but actually a PR company called Citigate Drew Rogerson (?). (Why don't you set your sig accordingly so we know?) (thanks felixcatuk for that)

The patent is the facts of your system. No amount of spin will cover that up.

Thank you

I posted information they were a PR company back on page 47 I think http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34502235-post703.html

Once I had found out but for some reason everyone seemed to just miss it as noone started to mention PR for a few pages.

~$ su 11-03-2008 12:46

Quote:

You don't need to know who we are, you're assigning us a number - a new identification. You don't need our name when you're giving us a new one for your own purpose. Therefore, you do know who we are.

You don't explain how you place us into one of those advertiser categories. Do you just pick it at random...no, you don't.
You use data taken from our activity...go on, admit it. You'll feel much better afterwards...

Florence 11-03-2008 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~$ su (Post 34504625)

Phorm aren't doing anything that isn't already done by other companies and hasn't been done for many years.

You try being an ISP and not having certain information about your customers on your servers and databases when all their traffic is going through you.

If you don't like what Phorm and VM are doing, complain, opt-out, or use a proxy.

It's that simple.

This is an interestng first post, a few questions..

How long have you been a VM customer, do you value your online privacy?

popper 11-03-2008 12:48

Quote:

HI PhormUKPRteam, nice to see you didnt go missing after all LOL.

regarding your (phorm supplyed and aproved information to you as one of their PR personel)

"You can permanently opt out by blocking cookies from the domain"

NOT true.

you are fully aware from previous statements this is infact untrue, as infact blocking cookies DOES NOT permanently opt the user OUT of this Phorm system.

blocking this cookie you speak of, infact forces the Phorm installed Kit to pass the already collected and processed data past the Profiler, onward to allow the Phorm company to then collect any profits they may have with the advertisers.

you infact NEED a cookie to so called Opt-out and even then,it mearly stops the passing of the collected and processed potentially personal data from the Phorm supplyed 'profiler', flowing into the 'add picking' part of the Phorm system.

your also aware, with or without the Phorm supplyed site cookie, a users personal IP number and other potentially personal data is always flowing into the Phorm supplyed Profiler once its installed into the ISPS data center and activated (such in any trials etc).

your also fully aware after reading these sites and posts and emails etc, that infact the only way to really opt out, once this Phorm kit is installed and activated, is to send your ISP a 'data protection act notice' removing their right to send the data subjects personal data in any form to any such profiler electronic device.

ceedee 11-03-2008 13:06

Quote:

Would you mind expanding on that peculiar assertion? Like with detailed examples?
And I suspect Phorm might like to know too as it'll have some bearing on their patent application.

Quote:

Traffic flows *through* an ISPs servers (not sure which databases you might mean) but Phorm's WebWise profiling server is there to *collect* and *analyse* my browsing data. Which ISPs currently do that?

Quote:

It's that simple.
What the hell do you think we're doing?

If you've not got anything useful to contribute, what's your motive in posting?

aMIGA_dUDE 11-03-2008 13:10

Just watched Working Lunch (11/03/2008) and the CEO of phorm was on there. He had an easy time on the program and it only was only given a few minuts worth time at the very end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/7289331.stm

At time writing it not on iplayer of broadband player until about 15:30

popper 11-03-2008 13:35

Quote:

It's that simple.

:welcome: ~$ su

it appears you dont quite get it, by design or otherwise is yet to be determined.

infact Phorm ARE doing something compleatly different to the other companys.

Phorm are the only 3rd party commercial company signing commercial contracts with the internet backbone ISPS and putting a direct connected 'profiler' and related kit inline of every single users payed for and contracted direct connection.

there is NO way to stop any and all of your data streams being intercepted by this Phorm supplyed and installed Profiler kit inside the ISPS data centers.

NO other 3rd party companys have any such intercepting kit in any ISP.

plus, these other 3rd party commercial companys are using mear site based data collection, and you DO have the choice NOT to goto these sites, and so not be subject to their data collection of what you do there.

does this clear up your current misconception somewhat, and help you finally understand the basic problem here with Phorm and the contracted ISPS plans?.

none 11-03-2008 13:38

Last from the reg - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...hares_plummet/

Quote:

Published Tuesday 11th March 2008 13:13 GMT

CPW builds wall between customers and Phorm

Carphone Warehouse has become the first of the three UK ISPs who have agreed to pimp data to ad targeting outfit Phorm to announce a major rethink of how it will use the technology.

Company representatives have told users in forums that they are working on a way to ensure that traffic from people who opt out will never enter the Phorm system. "We had a meeting yesterday and based on customer opinion we decided to use a different method, yet to be decided, to split the traffic so it doesn't hit a Webwise server at all for those that opt out," one wrote.

read rest here - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...hares_plummet/

~$ su 11-03-2008 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34504636)
Would you mind expanding on that peculiar assertion? Like with detailed examples?
And I suspect Phorm might like to know too as it'll have some bearing on their patent application.

The technology has been around for ages, as well as arguments about this sort of problem and sensationalist screams of "OMFG WHERE ARE MY PRIVACIES?!?!!".

I remember a certain amount of leaked/lost data by AOL a while back.

Use google. You'll have a harder time showing it hasn't happened.

Quote:

Traffic flows *through* an ISPs servers (not sure which databases you might mean) but Phorm's WebWise profiling server is there to *collect* and *analyse* my browsing data. Which ISPs currently do that?

Most do to some extent. As do many particular companies with their own programs. Which in turn backs up my first reply above. There are thousands of different technologies available to monitor your traffic. Legal and otherwise.

"but Phorm's WebWise profiling server is there to *collect* and *analyse* my browsing data"
- where do you think they're getting this data? Why make a deal with an ISP if they're not actually providing anything?

Quote:

What the hell do you think we're doing?

If you've not got anything useful to contribute, what's your motive in posting?

You're expressing your own views, as are many others. That is all. You're not spearheading the revolution, you're complaining and whining. It may or may not have any effect at all. It'd be better sharing different ways of working round this. Rather than screaming and hoping someone else will do it for you.

"If you want to roll over and let Phorm and VM drastically alter the basis of the internet"

As if that is a useful contribution.

It's exaggeration, and unnecessary.

popper 11-03-2008 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34504627)
I posted information they were a PR company back on page 47 I think http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34502235-post703.html

Once I had found out but for some reason everyone seemed to just miss it as noone started to mention PR for a few pages.

i named him PhormUKPRteam way back in the thread though ;):angel:

im not keen on all the name calling though, as hes only being payed to do a job,however id advise he needs to be FAR more careful with his responses, as per the giving obvously wrong info about the cookie and potentially telling people to turn off the cookie to opt-out, and so feeding the profits to Phorm by doing so.

~$ su 11-03-2008 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504652)
:welcome: ~$ su

infact Phorm ARE doing something compleatly different to the other companys.
does this clear up your current misconception somewhat, and help you finally understand the basic problem here with Phorm and the contractsed ISPS plans?.

Thanks for the welcome.

I realise my first post was somewhat incomplete and was largely a reaction to "If you want to roll over and let Phorm and VM drastically alter the basis of the internet".

Agreed, Phorm are doing it in a different way. Though my point stands. For a long time there have been companies and organisations monitoring personal data in some way, and every time it gets a similar response - some more hysterical than others (the quote).

The 2gb of data AOL lost - the email monitoring ads of google mail - etc. etc.

I just think it'd be better to be reasonable. Find ways around it. Help each other. Stop being the baying crowd waiting for the riot.

mertle 11-03-2008 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504631)
HI PhormUKPRteam, nice to see you didnt go missing after all LOL.

regarding your (phorm supplyed and aproved information to you as one of their PR personel)

"You can permanently opt out by blocking cookies from the domain"

NOT true.

you are fully aware from previous statements this is infact untrue, as infact blocking cookies DOES NOT permanently opt the user OUT of this Phorm system.

blocking this cookie you speak of, infact forces the Phorm installed Kit to pass the already collected and processed data past the Profiler, onward to allow the Phorm company to then collect any profits they may have with the advertisers.

you infact NEED a cookie to so called Opt-out and even then,it mearly stops the passing of the collected and processed potentially personal data from the Phorm supplyed 'profiler', flowing into the 'add picking' part of the Phorm system.

your also aware, with or without the Phorm supplyed site cookie, a users personal IP number and other potentially personal data is always flowing into the Phorm supplyed Profiler once its installed into the ISPS data center and activated (such in any trials etc).

your also fully aware after reading these sites and posts and emails etc, that infact the only way to really opt out, once this Phorm kit is installed and activated, is to send your ISP a 'data protection act notice' removing their right to send the data subjects personal data in any form to any such profiler electronic device.

very good point popper. I also think this.

In effect the final stage of the ad hitting our PC's is the least of our worry. The problem is the PROFILER that is the worst issue. WE cant do a JOT to stop it who cares on scummy advert. We can get ad blockers now to stop spamming we dont need there stupid little cookie.

Once they profile us theres the real damage which is already done. All opt out does is prevent that silly advert showing up on your pc. So all it is in my opinion is there internal AD blocker not an opt out. IT's misleading PR.

Finally I firmly believe what man can make man can undo. I know doubt will see someone make a nice programs which will interfere with there game.

Also worry is what davies says about embeded cookie. If we take is word is this going to be an embedded rootkit identifier but legal.

beardsley 11-03-2008 14:15

If we believe that Phorm only process data from the most popular two browsers, then this might cause a bit of fun:

Firesomething

It will give a random user-agent string.

ceedee 11-03-2008 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~$ su (Post 34504656)
The technology has been around for ages, as well as arguments about this sort of problem and sensationalist screams of "OMFG WHERE ARE MY PRIVACIES?!?!!".
I remember a certain amount of leaked/lost data by AOL a while back.
Use google. You'll have a harder time showing it hasn't happened.

You claimed that other companies were "doing" what Phorm intend -- not that the technology has been available.
AIUI, the AOL (and NetFlicks) data was from people *visiting* their sites -- completely and utterly different to Phorm's plans.

Quote:

Most do to some extent. As do many particular companies with their own programs. Which in turn backs up my first reply above. There are thousands of different technologies available to monitor your traffic. Legal and otherwise.
I'll ask again: Show me *one* ISP that collects and analyses the kind of data that the Phorm/WebWise profiler will be capable of?

Quote:

"but Phorm's WebWise profiling server is there to *collect* and *analyse* my browsing data"
- where do you think they're getting this data? Why make a deal with an ISP if they're not actually providing anything?
VM will be obtaining the data from my clickstream -- a completely new process afaik.
If you've got evidence of other ISPs currently doing this, I'm sure many of their users (and probably the Information Commissioner) would appreciate it.

Quote:

You're expressing your own views, as are many others. That is all. You're not spearheading the revolution, you're complaining and whining. It may or may not have any effect at all. It'd be better sharing different ways of working round this. Rather than screaming and hoping someone else will do it for you.
You haven't noticed that there's significant ongoing research into solutions?
You haven't noticed my nick in threads contributing to that research on at least half a dozen sites and forums?
Haven't looked very hard, have you?

"Spearheading the revolution"?
"Complaining and whining"?
"Screaming and hoping someone else will do it for you"?

Kindly substantiate just one of those before I declare you a troll.

Quote:

"If you want to roll over and let Phorm and VM drastically alter the basis of the internet"
As if that is a useful contribution.
It's exaggeration, and unnecessary.
As you evidently believe that ISPs already do everything that Phorm/WebWise will be capable of when operational, there's no point debating how releasing our clickstreams for exploitation changes the status quo.

Don't suppose you're contracted by Phorm to disrupt us, by any chance?
No?
Then drop your anonymity (heh, it doesn't seem to mean much to you!) and explain how you're contributing or your motivation for not doing so.
:rolleyes:

SMHarman 11-03-2008 14:43

Quote:

I have never said that I dismiss peoples genuine concerns or argue that black is white. Again you misinterpret. Just that people should base their concerns on facts rather than unfounded speculation of what it will do or what might happen in the future.

But the patent shows otherwise. I note that you did not chose to respond to my post about how this would work if it were the postal or telephone system.

How about if it were your mobile phone. You make a call and get text message adverts based on who you called and what you talked about. Same concept and with voice analysis going the way it is soon to be possible.

Florence 11-03-2008 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504657)
i named him PhormUKPRteam way back in the thread though ;):angel:

im not keen on all the name calling though, as hes only being payed to do a job,however id advise he needs to be FAR more careful with his responses, as per the giving obvously wrong info about the cookie and potentially telling people to turn off the cookie to opt-out, and so feeding the profits to Phorm by doing so.

:angel: yes on page 50 :) after mine.. anyway lets work on the communications.. We have been knocking on VM doors and Phorm for assurances which seem to be getting the normal Ostrich reply. Has anyone contacted OFCOM to see if this breaches any OFCOM rules?

I have just downloaded this to see if I can spot any. http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi..._final0703.pdf

SMHarman 11-03-2008 14:48

Quote:

At the moment, another question then. Why does the patent state that other information may be taken and stored and how would we know that what is being done now would not change in the future. Shrewdly as a UK listed company you have lesser filing requirements than a US listed company so can disclose less to your investors than you would need to on a 10Q or 10K SEC filing.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34504603)
Anyone who does a little work from home occasionaly wil have all the works details picked up by this Phorm, It will take a simple script an a few seconds and without your knowledge Phorm could have your name address and telephoine number if it is stored on your PC...

I agree with most of your thread but if your employer lets you work from home and use the internet into their company or their mail system without https or VPN then they have bigger problems.

dav 11-03-2008 14:49

Just seen a great quote that may be relevant to some here....

"No matter how paranoid you are, what they are really doing is worse than you could possibly imagine" - Ralph J Gleason.

SMHarman 11-03-2008 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504594)

But did Phorm need to register. BT were running the trial and registered. BT could legitimately try to argue that they were passing out data for marketing purposes, something many clients agree to do on thier applications.

The vendors of say VMs billing system do not have to make a register because VM are storing their clients data on the system, they need to make a DPA registration because they are storing information on thier clients and their employees, and wow there are a lot of there and theirs in that sentence.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote:

But most of those companies are not monopolistic suppliers. VM has a monopoly on cable broadband which to many people is the only reliable high speed broadband (comments about performance to another thread please). They live too far from a BT exchange to move to ADSL.
Quote:

But now the transparent proxys have been switched off what are they storing and even then that was pull data from popular sites that meant the proxy responded, the proxy did not maintain your data, it responded to it and dropped it.
Quote:

It's that simple.

A proxy will not help your data will be analysed on the way through VMs pipes (and then apparently not stored if you are opted out) on the way to this proxy.
Opt out is not true opt out someone still listens to that phone call or opens your mail, they just don't write anything down (supposedly).

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by none (Post 34504655)

Which confirms that the current system design does not wall the data.

dav 11-03-2008 15:07

The TT/CPW statement of how they are going to implement this is the most sensible thing any of the ISP's concerned have said on the matter. This is the ONLY way to implement it. If we have to have it, this HAS to be the way.
No ifs, no buts. Opt-in only. Drop the spin. Tell the truth. Are you listening VM?

(I suspect not. I have a mental image of VM execs with their fingers in their ears shouting, "LaLaLaLaLaLa")

isf 11-03-2008 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~$ su (Post 34504660)
For a long time there have been companies and organisations monitoring personal data in some way, and every time it gets a similar response - some more hysterical than others (the quote).

Sorry, that's simply not true. I can block access to cookies and other tracking methods (images). Firefox for example allows some control over this with the ability to disallow 3rd party cookies and images. I was using the hosts file to block certain domains (doubleclick) a decade ago. The user is firmly in control of the web experience.
Quote:

The 2gb of data AOL lost - the email monitoring ads of google mail - etc. etc.
Both of which are opt-in.
Quote:

I just think it'd be better to be reasonable. Find ways around it. Help each other. Stop being the baying crowd waiting for the riot.
I find it amusing that you appear here with your non-sequiturs and plead for reason. There is a reasonable way around the phorm issue, opt-in at the network layer. That's what TT/CPW are proposing and nobody has a problem with it.

Florence 11-03-2008 15:33

If phorm goes ahead I can see all adverts that are not on the OIX platform being blocked reducing the customers selection. Reading between the lines if you visit a website that has adverts these will be stripped and oix adverts inserted.

To click on opt oput I have been informed spamms you like a xmas tree!

Think about these questions.

would you put a pedophile in charge of a primary school if not why not?

2 would you then put a spammer/spyware/adware person incharge of monitoring/collecting information about customers?

If no why no

Could you trust him in those positions.

Stuart 11-03-2008 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by brundles (Post 34504562)
What that doesn't say is whether people are opting in to "relevant adverts" or opting in to the "all your browsing belong to us" scheme. My money is on the former of those with the latter being a given to all customers.

CPW say that they are working on a way for any users who haven't opted in to have their data routed around Phorm's equipment rather than through it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...hares_plummet/

dav 11-03-2008 15:44

I disagree, Florence. A website has to specifically partner itself with Phorm and insert the tags for Phorms ads. If, when the page is sent to you, a Phorm tracking cookie is detected then they will paste in a targeted ad. If no cookie/opt out cookie is detected you'll get a random, un targeted ad. So far, so ignorable. Phorm ads won't be injected to websites that are not in bed with Kent.

What really gets my goat is the whole interception and Orwellian approach to the data harvesting and profiling that goes on, even if you maintain your opt-out cookie. I don't want my browsing scrutinised, boiled down and pigeon-holed.

"I am not a number..."

Florence 11-03-2008 15:52

VM are staying quiet as they are only seeing pounds signs they know what this is capeable of doing and so do the techies at VM who work with this..

I have been talking with a techie from BT who is no longer with BT he decalerd this the biggest msitake the ISPs could make as it removes power to the third party.
Strips adverts from websites that are being paid to advertise replacing them with ones OIX has on the network.
All port 80 is monitord regardless of opting in or out.

Opt in the ISP gets a share of the cash opt out the opt out cookie can allow Webwise access to your pc for information that will go direct to their servers.
This is another form of domination only adverts you will ever see are the ones OIX have your browsing will slow down due to the proxys you go through to allow Phorm to gather your information..

If the proxy (webwise) ever goes titsup it will be a nightmare to sort out....

BT line on the way think I have seen enough and the silence from VM makes me think the smaller ISPs on ADSL and slower speed is my best option.

popper 11-03-2008 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SMHarman (Post 34504731)
But did Phorm need to register. BT were running the trial and registered. BT could legitimately try to argue that they were passing out data for marketing purposes, something many clients agree to do on thier applications.

The vendors of say VMs billing system do not have to make a register because VM are storing their clients data on the system, they need to make a DPA registration because they are storing information on thier clients and their employees, and wow there are a lot of there and theirs in that sentence.

well OC they did need to register, as they have now done so.

its an interesting point though, and i didnt really give it much thought if any, other than the need to be registered to be legal.

ignoring for the moment that fact they were operational for a long time before they registered.

looking at the companys Patent capabilitys and objectives, and then their current DPP listing (im not sure if its changed since i last looked) today, it does seem likely they need to add a few more 'purpose' parts given their old BT trials, as well as any upcoming trial and deployments.

remember , these listing are for any company held records and data they may have on a 'data subject',and so when you send a 'data protection act request' and the fixed fee, for any and all data held about YOU to be sent in by return post in human readable form, they must comply etc.

perhaps someone can go and look into that, and see what they might be currently missing in their listing.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/ESDWebPages/Search.asp?EC=1

theres no direct url so you need to search on phorm in the name section.

dev 11-03-2008 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34504789)
Strips adverts from websites that are being paid to advertise replacing them with ones OIX has on the network.

Opt in the ISP gets a share of the cash opt out the opt out cookie can allow Webwise access to your pc for information that will go direct to their servers.

This is another form of domination only adverts you will ever see are the ones OIX have your browsing will slow down due to the proxys you go through to allow Phorm to gather your information..

care to even give some evidence to any of the above 3 things being remotely true?

NOWHERE has said that phorm are replacing ads on sites
Webwise, by storing a cookie, can't access your pc
Who said anything about it being a proxy?

popper 11-03-2008 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 34504748)
The TT/CPW statement of how they are going to implement this is the most sensible thing any of the ISP's concerned have said on the matter. This is the ONLY way to implement it. If we have to have it, this HAS to be the way.
No ifs, no buts. Opt-in only. Drop the spin. Tell the truth. Are you listening VM?

(I suspect not. I have a mental image of VM execs with their fingers in their ears shouting, "LaLaLaLaLaLa")

i suspect in (a small?)part , TT/CPW didnt like the thought of masses of paying users taking control of how their personal data can be explicitly used by sending a simple 'DPA notice'.

after all, if you dont bother to type one up, and send it registered post, outlining your instructions, then the ISPs generic T&C concent part, can perhaps give them lots of options... to abuse said concent.

SMHarman 11-03-2008 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by dev (Post 34504792)
Who said anything about it being a proxy?

Nobody did. Way I understand this is there are two processes.
Outbound
A)
A1 The outbound request is trifurcated and one goes to the server you are looking for
A2 a copy is passed to the phorm harvester on VMs (or whoevers property).
A3 a copy is passed to the phorm phishing blacklist (though this must be before A1 or you would get a correct response in C3.
B)
B1 The standard outbound request is responded to by the host.
B2 The Phorm copy is harvested and allocated the client ID number and the advertising catagory.
Inbound
C1 If the response is from a server / company using OIX and you are opted in the page detects the cookie on your computer and using that cookie customises the advertising experience and the in page requests to OIX for adverts customises the response from OIX.
C2 If the response is from a server / company using OIX and if no Cookie or an opt out cookie is detected then OIX cannot customise the response.
C3 If the response is from anyone else the page is served as it would have been.
In fact in all cases the page is served intact all that is changing in C2 is that the response from the OIX server for an advert to place in the page results in a different image being returned.

The big problem everyone has is A2 and why that happens whether you are opted in or out.

ceedee 11-03-2008 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by dav (Post 34504782)
What really gets my goat is the whole interception and Orwellian approach to the data harvesting and profiling that goes on, even if you maintain your opt-out cookie. I don't want my browsing scrutinised, boiled down and pigeon-holed.

Me too!
/aol

And of course, that Phorm and VM may decide next year to use more of my personal browsing data for a different revenue-raising project. I'd imagine that the RIAA-types would pay to identify frequent visitors to bittorrent sites...

For me it's the principle of maintaining control of private data.
The other major means of communication (snail mail, telephone, etc) are protected to the extent that this wouldn't be permitted -- why on earth should we allow them to profit from our private data because it's online?

:mad:

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by popper (Post 34504802)
i suspect in (a small?)part , TT/CPW didnt like the thought of masses of paying users taking control of how their personal data can be explicity used by sending a simple 'DPA notice'.

after all, if you dont bother to type one up, and send it registered post, outlining your instructions, then the ISPs generic T&C concent part, can perhaps give them lots of options... to abuse said concent.

Has anybody heard of a response from VM to one of those DPA s11 letters yet?

Sirius 11-03-2008 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34504807)

Has anybody heard of a response from VM to one of those DPA s11 letters yet?

Did Rob not say he received one.

Altern8 11-03-2008 17:15

Would appear we are making some headway in this. Maybe VM and BT will take note of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7289481.stm

popper 11-03-2008 17:20

some stuff coming through on the markets wires, but they still rate it 'good value'...., so users need to work harder to make them realise theres no pay day here ;)

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/...nd-privacy.jsp
"
Phorm weakens on placing and privacy

Created: 11 March 2008 Written by: Tim Bradshaw Phorm's shares fell 30 per cent in a week, before the online advertising provider announced a $65m (£32m) institutional fund-raising.
"
that old link has
http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/...fight-back.jsp
"
Phorm helps ISPs fight back

Created: 20 February 2008 Written by: Tim Bradshaw Three of UK's Internet service providers have signed up to a new advertising platform that could create a lucrative new revenue stream - and an Aim-traded company called Phorm is running it.

Will users assent to this? ....

Phorm's board and management team includes big-hitters from operators AT&T and BT and online ad leaders aQuantive and DoubleClick - the latter pair bought by Microsoft and Google. Hopes of a similar deal may be sustaining Phorm's share price, which has rocketed from 138p at the start of 2006 - when it was called 121 Media - to 3,350p today.
"

[as requested ,edited to an even shorter standard ] hard to get the point across now though, as a side comment:i didnt include entire articles in any of the links i post though hence the .... for missing text in all of them.
is it ok now Mick?

editing time nearly up and no reply or PMs so i guess it must be.

Mick 11-03-2008 17:27

Popper - Can't you just post one paragraph and a link to said articles? - Please consider copyright issues when copying entire articles from other websites. Thanks.

aMIGA_dUDE 11-03-2008 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by aMIGA_dUDE (Post 34504639)
Just watched Working Lunch (11/03/2008) and the CEO of phorm was on there. He had an easy time on the program and it only was only given a few minuts worth time at the very end.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/7289331.stm

At time writing it not on iplayer of broadband player until about 15:30

Well it not on Working Lunch website, "Sorry we can not bring you the program you requested". But it is on iPlayer search for "Working Lunch" 11/03/08 the intresting part is at 23:00 - 28:15.

ceedee 11-03-2008 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34504826)
Did Rob not say he received one.

Yes, and that he'd post it when he'd got to a scanner.

Just checking in case I'd missed anybody else having received one.
(Mea culpa: I've not read *every* page of this thread!)

GeoffW 11-03-2008 18:02

The only was I can see an opt in working is if there is a discount on the monthly charge. i.e clean access, or adware access.

Also does anybody ever click any of these ads?

lucevans 11-03-2008 18:21

Quote:

You don't seem to understand the concept of lobbying very well. It is standard practice to make one's views known as publicly and as vociferously as possible before something comes to pass in order to try and influence what it is that actually does come to pass. And it is completely relevant to include in the discussion all things that are theoretically possible in the system, since once the hardware has been put in place, it it very probable that functionality will be expanded incrementally until the full capabilities of the technology are being utilized. This is just how the world works, Jayceef.

mertle 11-03-2008 18:34

I have also another fear what Phorm will do to us who opt out and even worse for them if we force ISP's to make it opt in only system. Lets be honest if we do get our way force ISP to make sure opted out dont get profiled too. Who in the right mind would opt in and let them. Likely it would become a massive flop, I just cant see this company taking it lieing down seeing there revenue streams evaporate and fear they will do something.

The company is so shady I will completely be not suprised at some sort of reprisal if they dont get there nasty little way.

Possibly they will go back to rootkit development maybe with even more potential nastiness with added spam. I also wonder could they be able to set up a profiler system via a rootkit system.

Shin Gouki 11-03-2008 18:46

Quote:

Tell Phorm and VM that I've researched the price of a BT line and Be's internet service and i will be going with them as soon as VM start using Phorm.

Phorm can get ph***ed! :td:

isf 11-03-2008 18:50

Can we have have a list of IP addresses for those who voted "No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone"?

I suspect that list might be interesting and they've obviously consented :)

aMIGA_dUDE 11-03-2008 18:51

If Phorm service is so good and the public want so much then why do they need to install some hardware at the ISP?

They could just be publicly accessible DNS / Proxy servicer's. As such they could everything they want ie stop fishing give people add as people want add's so much.

Err promblem who would use them?

Now I know why they need to put hardware inside a ISP!

PS Proxying like this would cost Phorm $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ if some used it

Sirius 11-03-2008 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shin Gouki (Post 34504907)
Tell Phorm and VM that I've researched the price of a BT line and Be's internet service and i will be going with them as soon as VM start using Phorm.

Phorm can get ph***ed! :td:

May i also confirm that i have everything in place to give VM the boot should they start selling my data to anyone that they think are trustworthy " that would be Root kit writers and Spyware peddlers then"

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by isf (Post 34504910)
Can we have have a list of IP addresses for those who voted "No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone"?

I suspect that list might be interesting and they've obviously consented :)

And would be fun as well.

Florence 11-03-2008 18:59

After reading the messages on the stock I seem to think thye feel we are fools or perverts sniuppet from zoie

Quote:

Branson runs an empire or successful companies, the idea of better targeting his customers and increasing advertising revenue at the same time I would only think to encourage this relationship rather than end it. My advise to those worried about this is:
1. Turn off webwise if you don't want it used;
2. Stop searching for porn or whaterever else you are doing, or perhaps do it with your partner rather than on your own;
3. Enjoy your life and go for a walk with your partner rather than sit in front of the computer hiding whatever material you are looking at;
4. Set up another account on the computer;
5. Buy some shares as it will hit £50 soon

Zoie
Taken from a very interesting read about falling shares http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...scussion&it=le
Going to start at the top and enjoy this before I order my Bt line then free internet oh while I remember my mother wil be moving also with her 3 package.

Quote:

there is always pressure on this as there is never enough stock around. Could go lower before it moves higher again. Just need news of a contract sign and we are off.
Not sure what use it will be if many leave

Traduk 11-03-2008 19:09

I see that in the BBC report, Kent Ertegrul is confused over why the detractors are concerned about opt-in or opt-out and he finds our lack of understanding of the clear choices a bit bizarre. IMO the answer is crystal clear and that is that if the ISP's give a 100% certainty that an opt-out has absolutely nothing to do with any equipment associated with Phorm or its associates whether by pass through, mirroring or any other method then proceed and prosper or fail on merit.

"Having advertising behind it allows for better cheaper broadband" he supposedly said. That might sway a few wavering detractors so expand that comment from the world of maybies and get the ISP's to flesh out exact proposals of how they will deliver these improvements in both performance and cost reductions.

The spin surrounding this debacle takes reading to believe. The BT trialists are all Opt-in by virtue of the fact they have responded to or will respond to invitations. Volunteers are always opt-in and I bet there are huge numbers of people salivating at the chance to get in on the trial but they will have to sign up to as yet unfinished T&C's. I bet they try secrecy as a condition but for a company that doesn't respect privacy forget it, as it will be in the public domain within hours.

SMHarman 11-03-2008 19:31

Hmmm, now does AOL still offer service through Cable? If it does, would the use of AOL service be impacted by this?

lucevans 11-03-2008 19:58

The following statement is for the benefit or any Phorm or Virgin Media directors, employees or subcontractors who are lurking on this forum to gather information about why some VM customers are against the OIX system:

I now believe that I do have a clear understanding of how this system will work, and I am still implacably against it. This is not because I don't want to be targeted with advertising. It is not because I think that the system will allow my browsing habits to be linked to my identity. My objection is on a fundamental level: I believe that no organization (with the exception of my elected government, under certain, strict circumstances) should have the right to monitor, gather or analyze any information about what I read, write or buy unless I give my written consent to that organization in advance, regardless of whether that information has been anonymized or not. This includes the routing of said information through hardware within my ISP's network that has been installed as part of the Phorm system when I have opted-out, irrespective of whether a digest of that information is created or not. I believe that to do so infringes my right under European law to a private life.

dav 11-03-2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucevans (Post 34504963)
The following statement is for the benefit or any Phorm or Virgin Media directors, employees or subcontractors who are lurking on this forum to gather information about why some VM customers are against the OIX system:

I now believe that I do have a clear understanding of how this system will work, and I am still implacably against it. This is not because I don't want to be targeted with advertising. It is not because I think that the system will allow my browsing habits to be linked to my identity. My objection is on a fundamental level: I believe that no organization (with the exception of my elected government, under certain, strict circumstances) should have the right to monitor, gather or analyze any information about what I read, write or buy unless I give my written consent to that organization in advance, regardless of whether that information has been anonymized or not. This includes the routing of said information through hardware within my ISP's network that has been installed as part of the Phorm system when I have opted-out, irrespective of whether a digest of that information is created or not. I believe that to do so infringes my right under European law to a private life.

:tu: well said :clap:

diddy1 11-03-2008 20:09

I was Just on my way home listening to Chris Evans and the news reader on there spoke to the CEO of Phorm and according to him, that we the public have voted for this in huge amounts with our internet providers with all the on line polls we have filled in?????:shocked:

She asked him why there was so many objections in forums against this if that was the case, he replied if any thing Phorm have not explained there self fully to what they can offer, He also stated that there is no way any one could be identified as we all get this random number.

The news reader said to him so if any person was looking at terrorism would they inform the police, his answer was no because they dont hold any information.

Am i convinced that this guy was telling the truth.... Not a chance in a million years would i believe him.

He also stated they were soon to go live, and we would know when it happens as we would see a a page filled with what ever garbage they want us to believe.

I would love to hear this guy in a debate with more internet savvy people rather than some ill informed news reader.

ceedee 11-03-2008 20:25

Thanks for the report, Diddy.

God, this PR agency must be charging Phorm a fortune!
They'll have Kent popping in for a chat over coffee by the end of the week...

:)

none 11-03-2008 20:29

Looks like they are going on the PR offensive with mainstream media out lets, TV, radio etc.

As you say, its a shame as those mediums have the biggest audience but are presented by the smallest of intellect :(

isf 11-03-2008 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by diddy1 (Post 34504967)
I would love to hear this guy in a debate with more internet savvy people rather than some ill informed news reader.

You can see him and Phorms PR company avoiding key technical questions all over the web.

The markets have spoken quite clearly, knocking 100M off the value of the company today alone. If Phorms CEO put as much effort into ensuring compliance with Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations and DPA requirements as he is putting into talking up and misrepresenting his platform then the company might survive long enough to see a rollout.

But what Phorm say and do is irrelevant, it's the ISP that will be liable with TT/CPW having announced the only workable implementation.

shawty 11-03-2008 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by manxminx (Post 34504489)
Just a quick comment. A previous post on this thread said that this website is ad-supported. That was news to me! I didn't know this site has adverts as I don't see any ads at all due to my firefox plug-ins blocking all signs of adverts. No ads at all, ZERO, no pop ups, not even the ad holders or the empty spaces where these mythical ads are supposed to reside.

To be honest, I'm unsure about how many adverts one usually sees when surfing the web. I suppose (from what's been said here and by Phorm) it's a lot? I really don't understand why surfers put up with it. If everyone blocked ads then the likes of Phorm would be dead in the water before they even started - there would be no demand for their services!

Ali.

Note to Phorm: this post contains personal information about me. I specifically refuse to allow any Phorm software to scan or process this post.

Yeah, great idea. If you want to start paying for everything.

lucevans 11-03-2008 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceedee (Post 34504979)
Thanks for the report, Diddy.

God, this PR agency must be charging Phorm a fortune!
They'll have Kent popping in for a chat over coffee by the end of the week...

:)

If he's too busy to pop-in and see you, why not give him a call? His office number has been freely-published on the web by Phorm as 020 7638 9571. I hope listing his number here isn't considered bad Phorm by the moderators - after all, in this new world of online privacy, it's only a number, isn't it?:angel:

JackSon 11-03-2008 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucevans (Post 34505007)
If he's too busy to pop-in and see you, why not give him a call? His office number has been freely-published on the web by Phorm as 020 7638 9571. I hope listing his number here isn't considered bad Phorm by the moderators - after all, in this new world of online privacy, it's only a number, isn't it?:angel:

Or, log on to WebWise's chat - he is currently avoiding questions as we speak :)

Florence 11-03-2008 21:08

Is it me or has VM logo been removed from this page http://www.webwise.com/

lucevans 11-03-2008 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34505020)

I noticed that as well - I put it down to incompetence (after all, that webwise site isn't the most impressive I've ever seen), or, more likely, they're trying to lull us into a false sense of security here on the VM network...

ynwa 11-03-2008 21:15

I have 3 Virgin accounts coming from my bank account for myself, my girlfriend and my parents. All 3 of these will be moving to BE / Sky as soon as phorm is introduced.

Sirius 11-03-2008 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34505020)

Yep its been removed

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSon (Post 34505014)
Or, log on to WebWise's chat - he is currently avoiding questions as we speak :)

got a link to it

JackSon 11-03-2008 21:19

http://www.webwise.com/how-it-works/live_chat.html

Keeping a log of proceedings.

Sirius 11-03-2008 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackSon (Post 34505040)

Is it still running

JackSon 11-03-2008 21:24

Yes - questions go through the moderator, then are only displayed once/if an answer is offered, it is a bit trippy to watch actually...

Sirius 11-03-2008 21:28

Q: I have just joined and might have missed this question so please bear with me. You say if i opt out i will not have my private surfing data monitored. The only way an opt out will stop me cancelling every product i have with Virgin is a confirmation that should i opt out that NONE of my data what so ever will be monitored by any equipment installed at your or Virgin media's head ends or pop sites. In other words a OPT OUT means my data never touches any Phorm installed equipment between me and the Internet ?
Your question has been submitted to the moderator.

whats the betting that does not get answerd :D

JackSon 11-03-2008 21:32

Am not taking that bet - been waiting 50 mins for mine to be answered ;)

dav 11-03-2008 21:35

I noticed the VM logo missing too.

I'm on the webchat. Submitted 3 questions. Nada.

Ravenheart 11-03-2008 21:37

The Spin-O-Matic BS generator has probably broke down and they've got the tech team working on it right now. ;)

dav 11-03-2008 21:37

....and now he's gone to bed.

Weak.

Sirius 11-03-2008 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34505051)
Q: I have just joined and might have missed this question so please bear with me. You say if i opt out i will not have my private surfing data monitored. The only way an opt out will stop me cancelling every product i have with Virgin is a confirmation that should i opt out that NONE of my data what so ever will be monitored by any equipment installed at your or Virgin media's head ends or pop sites. In other words a OPT OUT means my data never touches any Phorm installed equipment between me and the Internet ?

whats the betting that does not get answerd :D

this was his answer.

The particular server or software is less important than who controls them. The ISP will own the equipment but it may be running software from Phorm. However, the ISP has full visibility of the data that is flowing, and full control over it. As I said, the bottom line is that the ISP ensures that if you opt out, your data is never passed to Phorm.

so read yes your data goes to the Phorm kit in the Virgin POP site.

Yes Virgin will have full visibility of all my surfing habits via Phorm Deep Packet Inspection software. The question will be

Do i trust Virgin Media with that data. The answer is no due to the fact they are selling my data to a spyware and root kit company.

Could this company have a backdoor program sending the data anyway no matter what Virgin Do.

Would you trust that arrangement ????

So it looks like i will be moving to BE.

JackSon 11-03-2008 21:45

At the beginning of the session, this was thrown into the pot by one of those present:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 007
will you still continue even though ISP's are pulling out

The official answer was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KentErtugrul
No indication at all that any ISPs are pulling out. They have polled their customers and their customers want this. I would like to make it very clear that nobody is being forced into this and this is a clear and absolute optional offer to everbody. Nobody has to do it

I then asked in response to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson
Obviously, a poll undertaken by an ISP on it's customer base is down to the discretion of said ISP so that is not something I will ask Phorm to quantify. However, when you say "their customers want this", are you not inclined to agree, in light of the announcement by TalkTalk regarding a default opt-out and re-route based on their customers correspondence/feedback, that the customers of TalkTalk at least, perhaps don't want this? After all, if a previous poll undertaken said the customers were in favour then they would have ignored the against moniroty.

An hour passes and it was not addressed. Ah well.

Having said that, does anybody recall being surveyed about wanting less adverts and phishing from VM in the past, no matter in how vague a context?

I have a text file transcript if anybody would be interested. PM me a throw away e-mail addess and I will send it, or I can post it all up here if there are no objections?

Florence 11-03-2008 21:47

My question didn't get answered he seemed to leave just after it :P

Q: The system is similar to ellacoya technology and streamshield except they are used to limit speeds when downloading from P2P at peak times. Phorm is more intrusive plus will slow down the internet experience. Am I correct

Looks like I move to Bt line not getting in with this.

lucevans 11-03-2008 21:50

Would someone please post e-mail links for who to write to at Virgin Media regarding this Phorm business? I know it sounds weak, but the VM customer zone site is such a pile, I can never find anything useful on it, particularly when it comes to contacting them (come to think of it, that's probably what they're aiming for...).
I understand that the only legally provable way of contacting them is by registered snail mail, but until I can get that letter knocked into shape, I'd like to fire off as many e-mails as I can to VM on this subject to make sure they get the message that it's not going away...

Ta.:)

Florence 11-03-2008 21:54

Just how legal is this when those on the network going through Webwise are only shown adverts from thew OIX platform and any adverts on other websites you visit are removed from view?

dav 11-03-2008 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34505078)
Just how legal is this when those on the network going through Webwise are only shown adverts from thew OIX platform and any adverts on other websites you visit are removed from view?

That isn't what is happening.
A website may have 50% place holders for OIX ads and 50% for non OIX.
If a site hasn't registered with OIX and there are no OIX placeholders, the page will get ignored on its way back to you and all ad space will be non OIX as the designer intended.

lucevans 11-03-2008 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34505078)

Florence, as I understand the OIX system, other ads are not replaced. Phorm/OIX will buy ad panes on websites, then charge advertisers more than the standard "hit-or-miss" advertising rates to put their ads in those panes only on the screens of individuals whose Phorm profile indicates they are interested in that category of product. The net result is that different people viewing that same page will see a different advert at that position on the page depending on their Phorm profile. This is how Phorm hope to make money. Anyone who does not have a Phorm profile (i.e. opted-out, or not with an ISP that has signed-up to Phorm) will see a random ad at that position on that page, much as we all do now. There will continue to be other ad-panes on that webpage that are not owned or controlled by Phorm/OIX, but these will not be interfered with in any way by the Phorm system (although the Phorm hardware in the ISPs network could do this, it is clearly illegal and would result in jail sentences for company execs involved.) It is obviously Phorm's hope that if their system takes off, over time product sellers will abandon the other "non-targetted" advertising panes (companies) and bring their advertising to the Phorm/OIX platform because the selling success rate would (allegedly) be higher.

Largerme 11-03-2008 22:05

Quote:

Having said that, does anybody recall being surveyed about wanting less adverts and phishing from VM in the past, no matter in how vague a context?
I have done surveys for VM and the question regarding this was misleading, I can’t remember the exact phrasing, but it was something like this:-

“Would you prefer more relevant adverts as apposed to irrelevant ones”?

Now my obvious answer was ‘Yes’.

Had they mentioned using ‘Spyware / Adware’ to achieve this then my answer would have been a most definite NO.

Mick 11-03-2008 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent CEO of Phorm
They have polled their customers and their customers want this.

Oh really - that's strange I don't remember being asked if I wanted this by my ISP... Anybody else get polled?

JackSon 11-03-2008 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Largerme (Post 34505092)
I have done surveys for VM and the question regarding this was misleading, I can’t remember the exact phrasing, but it was something like this:-

“Would you prefer more relevant adverts as apposed to irrelevant ones”?

Now my obvious answer was ‘Yes’.

Had they mentioned using ‘Spyware / Adware’ to achieve this then my answer would have been a most definite NO.

I figured it would be along those lines, I suppose it is not hard to manufacture that into a statement that we would like a product like Phorm. As you say, misleading.

Not a survey I think anyone could use to green flag a specific product without having first examined it, like the position we found ouselves.

mertle 11-03-2008 22:13

Quote:

I was Just on my way home listening to Chris Evans and the news reader on there spoke to the CEO of Phorm and according to him, that we the public have voted for this in huge amounts with our internet providers with all the on line polls we have filled in?????:shocked:

She asked him why there was so many objections in forums against this if that was the case, he replied if any thing Phorm have not explained there self fully to what they can offer, He also stated that there is no way any one could be identified as we all get this random number.

The news reader said to him so if any person was looking at terrorism would they inform the police, his answer was no because they dont hold any information.

Am i convinced that this guy was telling the truth.... Not a chance in a million years would i believe him.

He also stated they were soon to go live, and we would know when it happens as we would see a a page filled with what ever garbage they want us to believe.

I would not be suprised at these so called on line polls are his figment of his imagination. Apart from this one NOT seen any on places like VM website. If there out there no doubt there so called PR team are spamming them to distort them.

This PR team getting more like the government spin doctors who told us iraqis had weapons of mass destruction.

Instead having a message mailboxyou have mail.

Maybe we should now have you have phorm

The does seem very big conflict how close we are to going live.

VM seem to be trying to give an impression its not that close but phorm are actually doing the oposite.

I doubt we will be told despite VM assurances especially if its deemed not to be breaching rules.

Florence 11-03-2008 22:36

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 34505096)
Oh really - that's strange I don't remember being asked if I wanted this by my ISP... Anybody else get polled?

No I never had a vote on the poll can I have my vote now a no

On another note just decided after visiting webwise to find and delete its cookie gues what my webwise search brought up...

isf 11-03-2008 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Florence (Post 34505118)
No I never had a vote on the poll can I have my vote now a no

On another note just decided after visiting webwise to find and delete its cookie gues what my webwise search brought up...

Those __utmz are google analytics cookies set by sites linked from this forum. The referer is sent by your web browser whenever you click on a link, I always disable it.

mertle 11-03-2008 22:45

found couple articles on the register.

One is about US consumer watchdog the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is calling for a bigger stick with which to punish spyware makers.

Maybe this why phorm come here first and maybe they trying to get out of there claws.

Another couple show extreme dangers what phorm could easily cause.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...are_sanctions/

A Yahoo-owned advertising network became the unwitting ally of cyber crooks after it spewed millions of Trojan-laced banner ads on MySpace, PhotoBucket and other websites.

You wonder what would happen if this attack happened in PHORM. What sort information could be gained and how many computers could be infested.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...areware_peril/

even another warning to what could potentially is likely to happen.

Basically Phorm is most likely end up the trojan horse for many sicko's to try and infest its dirty deeds and thats if phorm intentions are sincere themselves which I doubt.

Tezcatlipoca 11-03-2008 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucevans (Post 34505072)
Would someone please post e-mail links for who to write to at Virgin Media regarding this Phorm business? I know it sounds weak, but the VM customer zone site is such a pile, I can never find anything useful on it, particularly when it comes to contacting them (come to think of it, that's probably what they're aiming for...).
I understand that the only legally provable way of contacting them is by registered snail mail, but until I can get that letter knocked into shape, I'd like to fire off as many e-mails as I can to VM on this subject to make sure they get the message that it's not going away...

Ta.:)

Why not just use Rob's letter, instead of email?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34492295-post128.html

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:

ROFL. All the online polls I have seen have been overwhelmingly *against* Phorm.

The only polls I can think which would ever be in favour would be rather misleading ones which do not ask the right questions (like Largerme's survey question of "Would you prefer more relevant adverts as opposed to irrelevant ones?").

Morden 11-03-2008 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 34505065)
this was his answer.

The particular server or software is less important than who controls them. The ISP will own the equipment but it may be running software from Phorm. However, the ISP has full visibility of the data that is flowing, and full control over it. As I said, the bottom line is that the ISP ensures that if you opt out, your data is never passed to Phorm.

so read yes your data goes to the Phorm kit in the Virgin POP site.

Yes Virgin will have full visibility of all my surfing habits via Phorm Deep Packet Inspection software. The question will be

Do i trust Virgin Media with that data. The answer is no due to the fact they are selling my data to a spyware and root kit company.

Could this company have a backdoor program sending the data anyway no matter what Virgin Do.

Would you trust that arrangement ????

So it looks like i will be moving to BE.

Any ISP has access to your browsing habits if they wish. In fact even business networks have this kind of access, if they keep the router logs, you dont need phorm to see what users are up to. LOL you dont need deep packet inspection, sniffers do a lot that already and I bet any network admin will have that kind of tool. even basic home routers let you log outgoing/incoming traffic and they have basic functionality and I have a packet sniffer at home to see what the kids are up to, you just need plenty of space for the logs.

I'm not condoning phorm, but Virgin dont need phorm to see what you do.

Shin Gouki 11-03-2008 23:19

My contract with Virgin Media is up at the end of the month.

Originally I was just going to get rid of just the broadband but now I might just **** the whole lot off and get me an HD TV and got SKY HD.

I've been with "Telewest" since the company was born but since VM took over it's gone to crappa.

Now I'm about to push the flush!