Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   US Timeline : The Mandalorian (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708038)

General Maximus 06-11-2020 21:40

Re: The Mandalorian

It was all good until the end.
Spoiler: 
Imho the ship suffered catastrophic damage but a few hours of welding seemed to work miracles.
I was going through it thinking "this is getting interesting, i wonder how they are going to get out of this" and they went and pulled an A-team.

cimt 06-11-2020 21:43

Spoiler: 
Only the cockpit was pressurised, he didn't fix the fix. He did mention that in the episode.

Pierre 06-11-2020 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36056595)
Spoiler: 
Only the cockpit was pressurised, he didn't fix the fix. He did mention that in the episode.

That...........

I thought it was going to go a bit “ Alien” at one point.........

I enjoyed it, hate spiders, and genuinely recoiled at some moments, and laughed at the egg snaffling.

General Maximus 06-11-2020 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 36056595)
Spoiler: 

Yes he did. Life support is one thing but there is no way you are telling me the hydraulics, power relays and structural integrity survived everything the ship endured.

Chris 06-11-2020 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36056619)
Yes he did. Life support is one thing but there is no way you are telling me the hydraulics, power relays and structural integrity survived everything the ship endured.

The ship also endured being dismantled and reassembled in the desert by Jawas.

Razorcrest is ancient, of simple design and demonstrably hardwearing (as is generally the case with spacecraft in the Star Wars universe ... Luke’s x-wing survived being submerged on Dagobah and again, for years, on Ahch-To).

Pierre 07-11-2020 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36056619)

You do realise it is a tv programme about interstellar space travel, sentient alien life forms, robots and mystical forces, and you’re going to try and pull it up on factual accuracy?

General Maximus 07-11-2020 20:03

When you literally smash a ship into the planet a bit of welding isn't going to get it up and running again. What happened is the stupidest and last thing I was expecting to see. I thought either Yoda was going to do some jedi magic or the rebel pilots were going to give him a hand. I would have been happy with either of those. Instead we had a couple of hour of welding which magically fixed any fuel and oil leaks in the engines, fixed any delicate components in the engines etc etc etc..........

Chris 07-11-2020 20:12

I really don’t get where you’re coming from. Star Wars tech has always been portrayed as rugged, simple and, often, barely serviceable. The entire plot of the Empire Strikes Back hinges on it. Everything is always blowing up, getting patched up and carrying on. I can only imagine you’ve filled your head with a ton of low-grade extended universe stuff, or else you’re confusing it with the sort of pseudoscientific crud you read in the Star Trek Technical Manual.

Stephen 07-11-2020 21:00

The Falcon was always breaking down and falling apart. They usually foxed it with a bit of welding or snacking the console.

Star Wars tech is not meant to be realistic or anything.

They managed to seal the cockpit and patch up the engines enough to limp to the planned planet. Without Hyperspace travel. So I see nothing wrong in the way the ship was repaired. It was a patch job just to enable to to have basic flight.

General Maximus 07-11-2020 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36056845)
you’re confusing it with the sort of pseudoscientific crud you read in the Star Trek Technical Manual.

are you suggesting that he should have bypassed the ODN relay and rerouted power from the primary phase coil?

Chris 07-11-2020 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36056854)
The Falcon was always breaking down and falling apart. They usually foxed it with a bit of welding or snacking the console.

Star Wars tech is not meant to be realistic or anything.

They managed to seal the cockpit and patch up the engines enough to limp to the planned planet. Without Hyperspace travel. So I see nothing wrong in the way the ship was repaired. It was a patch job just to enable to to have basic flight.

The lack of faster-than-light travel this week was interesting. When the falcon did it in Empire it had the feel of old-fashioned b-movie sci fi whose writers didn’t really have any concept of how big a galaxy is. When they repeated it in The Last Jedi (deliberately I’m sure; TLJ is all about the question of destiny and whether history truly repeats itself) I found it curious because by this point in the development of the genre there’s no question that writers working in it understand that you can’t get from anywhere to anywhere within a human lifetime using a rocket motor.

However in this week’s Mandalorian they were quite explicit that there is an engine technology in the Star Wars universe that can cross modest interstellar distances without hyperdrive. Of course they haven’t wasted any time explaining how that is meant to work - that’s Star Trek’s purview. Star Wars is science fantasy, and it should be enough for us to know what can happen, without needing to know how.

Stephen 07-11-2020 21:15

Of course. The destination planet must have been in the next sector as seen in the route plan shown. With Mando having a sleep it was clearly going to take a number of hours. It was all perfectly credible and acceptable in the universe I have known for decades.

TLJ and Solo both seemed to confuse things by introducing the concept of fuel in the universe and that it was a finite source that needed topping up. That for me was the daftest thing to appear in the recent movies.

heero_yuy 08-11-2020 07:50

Ship's going to need a bit more patching up if the main hull cannot hold pressure. All those horrid spiders. Ugh.

General Maximus 08-11-2020 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36056877)
Ship's going to need a bit more patching up if the main hull cannot hold pressure. All those horrid spiders. Ugh.

yeah, I hope they address that in the next episode and they don't magically move onto another story and the ship is as good as new again. If they do it will be the last straw for me.

cimt 08-11-2020 18:49

I don't think this is the show for you. It seems like you're just complaining about every episode and they can't do anything right.