Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

johnathome 27-11-2013 16:26

re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35649806)
Indeed as my idea of horror would be The Evil Dead.

I watched the new Evil Dead on Monday using the Tivo youtube app.

I searched for 'full movie' and watched a documentary about Pablo Escoba, no Evil Dead though. I started up movietube on my phone and saw ED on there.

Back to the Tivo, typed in Evil Dead and it came up with 'full movie', go figure?

harry_hitch 27-11-2013 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35649806)
Indeed as my idea of horror would be The Evil Dead.

I quite enjoy The Evil Dead, I would say that my favourite would probably be the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In my eyes, that film is just unrelenting on all fronts and is just pure psychological horror. I love all "types" of horror though, Halloween (pure suspense) Rosemary's Baby (slow burning creepiness through out) and "tasteful" non-excessively gory horror i.e. Martyrs.

I find that modern horror movies are very unoriginal and I feel as if they are trying to force the fear on to me, rather than letting me feel it for myself. Hence the feeling of tameness. Failing that, all that seems to be pumped out these days is "torture p%^n" i.e Saw series, Hostel etc.

Am rather disappointed with the Netflix selection of horror, but I am sure it will improve in time. :)

johnathome 27-11-2013 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35650022)
I quite enjoy The Evil Dead, I would say that my favourite would probably be the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In my eyes, that film is just unrelenting on all fronts and is just pure psychological horror. I love all "types" of horror though, Halloween (pure suspense) Rosemary's Baby (slow burning creepiness through out) and "tasteful" non-excessively gory horror i.e. Martyrs.

If you like older horror films i'd recommend The Shining if you haven't seen it.

A very good portrayal of one mans descent into madness, preferably watched in a darkened room.

zantarous 27-11-2013 21:59

Love this trailer for the Shining http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZexYRkI...%3DZexYRkIRhVs

harry_hitch 27-11-2013 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35650052)
If you like older horror films i'd recommend The Shining if you haven't seen it.

A very good portrayal of one mans descent into madness, preferably watched in a darkened room.

Yup, love it thanks John. Such a great film, the characters are all played wonderfully well, Hallorann is so cool. Kubrik and Nicholson is at their best.

I wish their could be a Lloyd in every bar I go to.:(

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by zantarous (Post 35650061)

Never seen that, that is excellent work. :):):)

I guess you have seen this one, but if not at the other end of the scale we have this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Cby33ZR98

nicknewark 28-11-2013 09:04

The Film is good, the book is better!, some great stuff was left out from the book.
Just reading the sequel, Called The sleep Doctor, about the small boy(danny) in the first movie!.

Scary stuff.

smallclone 28-11-2013 13:11

"A Tale of Two Sisters" is the best horror movie of all time.

But of course it's not on Netflix.

cimt 28-11-2013 13:15

It's on the Brazilian Netflix. If you know how to switch between the countries then www.moreflicks.com is an excellent website to use.

johnathome 02-12-2013 20:04

Sky Movies: Netflix not a competitor

Hmmm, well we will see when the movie contracts are up for grabs.

harry_hitch 02-12-2013 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknewark (Post 35650135)
The Film is good, the book is better!, some great stuff was left out from the book.
Just reading the sequel, Called The sleep Doctor, about the small boy(danny) in the first movie!.

Scary stuff.

Never read the book, will add it to my to read list! :)

Chad 03-12-2013 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 35651691)
Sky Movies: Netflix not a competitor

Hmmm, well we will see when the movie contracts are up for grabs.

Over the past 12 months SKY have renewed all of their movie deals with the 6 main studios. It's going to be a while before contracts become available again. I suppose it gives the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm 3 to 5 years to plan their strategy.

passingbat 03-12-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35651849)
Over the past 12 months SKY have renewed all of their movie deals with the 6 main studios. It's going to be a while before contracts become available again. I suppose it gives the likes of Netflix and Lovefilm 3 to 5 years to plan their strategy.

It would be interesting to know if Sky are making a profit setting the Now TV film service at £8.99 p/m. If they are, it's not a massive leap for Netflix. But if Sky rely on the £16 p/m from satellite as well, it's a bigger gap or Netflix to jump.

Given that many viewers are not too bothered about HD and PQ in general, it's surprising that there haven't been more complaints about satellite viewers having to pay almost twice as much for movies as those getting them via Now TV.

Chad 03-12-2013 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35651869)
It would be interesting to know if Sky are making a profit setting the Now TV film service at £8.99 p/m. If they are, it's not a massive leap for Netflix. But if Sky rely on the £16 p/m from satellite as well, it's a bigger gap or Netflix to jump.

Given that many viewers are not too bothered about HD and PQ in general, it's surprising that there haven't been more complaints about satellite viewers having to pay almost twice as much for movies as those getting them via Now TV.

From what I can gather from reading articles about each studio deal, SKY have a deal for TV broadcast and a separate deal for streaming. The streaming deal is much cheaper than their TV broadcast deal. They are probably making a similar profit margin, percentage wise, from both streaming and TV.

Seeing SKY Movie customers can cancel by giving 30 days notice, I'm surprised more people aren't cancelling their subscription for NOW TV as a cheaper alternative. For £24.99 you can buy NOW TV with 3 months worth of SKY Movies bundled. You can also claim a further month free if you haven't already used the service. That's less than £6.30 per month for the first 4 months.

MutleyF 05-12-2013 13:55

I've been watching a few films on it, and unless I am in a minority, the picture seems to be superb. No flickering or stuttering, and in Super HD1080 as well.

Most impressed (so far)

denphone 05-12-2013 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutleyF (Post 35652460)
I've been watching a few films on it, and unless I am in a minority, the picture seems to be superb. No flickering or stuttering, and in Super HD1080 as well.

Most impressed (so far)

l concur succinctly and echo the same thoughts.

andy_m 06-12-2013 09:42

I did find myself watching something yesterday in the middle of the day at 480sd, and the difference was actually quite jarring. In the main though it's been superb, and working fine today.

passingbat 15-12-2013 23:15

A couple of decent US TV shows added recently:

Person of Interest S1
The Good Wife S1-3

kgollop 16-12-2013 08:50

I see the Android app has been updated this week and now has profile support

harry_hitch 16-12-2013 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgollop (Post 35655305)
I see the Android app has been updated this week and now has profile support

They have changed the subtitle colour to white from yellow too. A vast improvement in my eyes, watching subtitled programming proves difficult sometimes as the yellow subtitles blend in too easily to the background.
I spoke to someone from Netflix support yesterday and they said they will be updating the subtitles via TIVO at some point soon. No date was given, but hopefully the same update will include the much wished for profiles too!

muppetman11 16-12-2013 16:49

Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul comes to AMC, Netflix in 2014

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s16...x-in-2014.html

clayts 16-12-2013 20:14

Did anyone else have yellow and white subtitles at the same time (both saying the same thing !) on NetFlix last night ?

harry_hitch 16-12-2013 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayts (Post 35655447)
Did anyone else have yellow and white subtitles at the same time (both saying the same thing !) on NetFlix last night ?

Nope, just yellow tonight so far too.:(

MutleyF 17-12-2013 19:29

Right - I have a few days off, so want to try to get involved more in Netflix rather than just watch the odd occasional film.

So, who can recommend a good series for me to watch - one that will MAKE me want to watch it ?

passingbat 17-12-2013 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutleyF (Post 35655726)
Right - I have a few days off, so want to try to get involved more in Netflix rather than just watch the odd occasional film.

So, who can recommend a good series for me to watch - one that will MAKE me want to watch it ?

It might help if you listed some of the shows you currently watch and enjoy so that people can get a feel for your taste in TV.

MutleyF 17-12-2013 19:43

good point !
I enjoy comedy, Dexter, M*A*S*H, True Blood, Star trek, and 70 and 80's TV Shows (for example Cheers, Only Fools)

muppetman11 17-12-2013 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutleyF (Post 35655731)
good point !
I enjoy comedy, Dexter, M*A*S*H, True Blood, Star trek, and 70 and 80's TV Shows (for example Cheers, Only Fools)

I enjoyed Lillyhammer Season 1 and Netflix have just added Season 2 , I also enjoyed House of Cards (with Kevin Spacey) Season 1 , the second Season is due very soon.

Kabaal 17-12-2013 20:02

Quote:

good point !

Orange is the New Black - Dark Comedy set in a female Prison and is brilliant, it's a Netflix Original and season 2 should be starting soon too.

passingbat 17-12-2013 20:05

Quote:

good point !

One of the things you can do (which I find easier to do on the Netflix website) is look at a series or film you do like, scroll down to the bottom and there are recommendations for similar shows.

For example for Dexter, of the ones it recommends, I like Numbers, Lie to me, Jericho, Sons of Anarchy, Damages and White collar. The last two, in that order, are excellent in my view.

And BTW, Ted Danson (from cheers) is excellent in Damages; a long way removed from Sam!:D

clayts 17-12-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry_hitch (Post 35655473)
Nope, just yellow tonight so far too.:(

Happened again last night - on the Spanish language bits of Breaking Bad (season 4)

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MutleyF (Post 35655726)

Have to be very obvious and recommend Breaking Bad - be prepared to be totally hooked and indulge in 'binge-watching' (lots of episodes one after the other). Up to the end of Season 4 already here in my first month...

johnathome 17-12-2013 23:05

I'm currently watching Weeds and It's always sunny in Philadelphia, both comedys I'd recommend.

steveh 18-12-2013 09:17

Anybody using Netflix's Android app to control Netflix on their TiVo?

Choosing a show to watch from the Android app when the TiVo isn't already in the Netflix app it seems to regularly timeout before the TiVo app starts. Hitting pause on the remote on the lockscreen also failed to work last week then pressing it again from the notification bar caused my TiVo to completely lock up so it wouldn't even respond to a power-off reset and I had to pull the plug. It then did three reboot cycles before it came back again...

andy_m 18-12-2013 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayts (Post 35655784)
Happened again last night - on the Spanish language bits of Breaking Bad (season 4)

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

Have to be very obvious and recommend Breaking Bad - be prepared to be totally hooked and indulge in 'binge-watching' (lots of episodes one after the other). Up to the end of Season 4 already here in my first month...

Is one set of subtitles there because it's translating the Spanish dialogue, and the other because you've turned subtitles on in Netflix?

harry_hitch 19-12-2013 00:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35655839)

Choosing a show to watch from the Android app when the TiVo isn't already in the Netflix app it seems to regularly timeout before the TiVo app starts. Hitting pause on the remote on the lockscreen also failed to work last week then pressing it again from the notification bar caused my TiVo to completely lock up so it wouldn't even respond to a power-off reset and I had to pull the plug. It then did three reboot cycles before it came back again...

Not had this issue myself yet. Am hoping it does not effect me. Probably should probably give VM a call!

---------- Post added at 00:53 ---------- Previous post was at 00:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35656033)
Is one set of subtitles there because it's translating the Spanish dialogue, and the other because you've turned subtitles on in Netflix?

There is no difference in colour between the Swedish or Danish languages in "The Bridge".

Hopefully they are just testing new and improved subtitles, the Android app is using only pure white subtitles now.

andy_m 19-12-2013 08:51

No, I meant if you watch Breaking Bad without subtitles turned on, the show itself still has subtitles for the Spanish bits. If you turn subtitles on are you getting two lots of subtitles?

Not sure if I've explained that very well?

harry_hitch 19-12-2013 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35656131)
No, I meant if you watch Breaking Bad without subtitles turned on, the show itself still has subtitles for the Spanish bits. If you turn subtitles on are you getting two lots of subtitles?

I understand you now Andy, I have not started on Breaking Bad (:shocked:) so can't give an answer.

Stuart 19-12-2013 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveh (Post 35655839)

I'll tell you what I've noticed on the iOS app. If you have the app running on both iOS and Tivo and use the remote play feature to select something on iOS and have it play on the tivo, it works. If you try and change programmes, it will not work and the iOS app will eventually time out.

If you then try and exit the app on the Tivo (say, by pressing the TV button on the remote), the screen will go black. The box will hang and eventually reboot.

clayts 19-12-2013 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35656131)

I know what you mean, but no, I do not use subtitles. It only doubles up white and yellow on the Spanish bits.

There's no subtitled Spanish in the last episodes of Season 4 (although there is Spanish language !), so unable to check if it is still an issue. May just be an experimental thing, I suppose ?

passingbat 22-12-2013 11:22

Dexter final two seasons added (previous seasons also there)

nicknewark 22-12-2013 11:55

I think Netflix is a great addition, and have just really enjoyed watching Orange is the New black, just started with Hemlock Grove, which so far is great, and want to fit in House of Cards next.
A great service, which works great! Love it!.

denphone 22-12-2013 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicknewark (Post 35656883)
I think Netflix is a great addition, and have just really enjoyed watching Orange is the New black, just started with Hemlock Grove, which so far is great, and want to fit in House of Cards next.
A great service, which works great! Love it!.

Yes l absolutely agree and its even better if you get the 6 months free as well.:)

theone2k10 22-12-2013 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35656887)
Yes l absolutely agree and its even better if you get the 6 months free as well.:)

Even better when your cousin buys you a 12 month gift voucher for xmas :p:

nicknewark 22-12-2013 17:34

very nice present!. enjoy.

andy_m 22-12-2013 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35656895)
Even better when your cousin buys you a 12 month gift voucher for xmas :p:

Exactly what we're getting from the wife's brother!

theone2k10 22-12-2013 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35657008)
Exactly what we're getting from the wife's brother!

My cousin has Netflix for 12 months already so i bought her a 12 month lovefilm instant voucher instead so she now gets best of both worlds.

muppetman11 23-12-2013 17:36

Netflix 4K

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s23...y-netflix.html

Mad Max 24-12-2013 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35657253)

That looks excellent MM!

passingbat 24-12-2013 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657551)
That looks excellent MM!

Only if Santa brings me a 4K TV for Christmas; and that aint gonna happen sadly :D

Mad Max 24-12-2013 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35657555)
Only if Santa brings me a 4K TV for Christmas; and that aint gonna happen sadly :D

Is that the only way you will be able to watch this series?

muppetman11 24-12-2013 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35657555)

Same here :D its amazing though that a streaming service could potentially be the first to start with 4K content.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657562)
Is that the only way you will be able to watch this series?

No it will be available to view on any TV , the quality is obviously dependant on your BB connection.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:13

Quote:

No it will be available to view on any TV , the quality is obviously dependant on your BB connection.
As i'm new to this Netflix discussion, and if i take up the free offer, would House of Cards first series be available?

muppetman11 24-12-2013 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657569)
As i'm new to this Netflix discussion, and if i take up the free offer, would House of Cards first series be available?

Yes House of Cards Series 1 is available and Series 2 will arrive in the New Year , if you have a HDTV you'll find the Netflix quality is excellent. You'll be able to use your Netflix account on your TiVo but also on many other devices you have around the house for example Android tablet/smartphone , iPhone/IPad , PS3 , Xbox , Roku , PC/Laptop , many smart TVs.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35657572)
Yes House of Cards Series 1 is available and Series 2 will arrive in the New Year , if you have a HDTV you'll find the Netflix quality is excellent.

That's brilliant mate thank you, and yes, i do have an HDTV.

denphone 24-12-2013 18:25

Yes the quality is indeed excellent Max.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35657574)
Yes the quality is indeed excellent Max.

Sounds good, so tell me chaps, if i go onto the Netflix site and register for a free month trial, how does this actually work, i mean i know it's on the TiVo which i have, but do Netflix activate it on your TiVo?

muppetman11 24-12-2013 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657576)
Sounds good, so tell me chaps, if i go onto the Netflix site and register for a free month trial, how does this actually work, i mean i know it's on the TiVo which i have, but do Netflix activate it on your TiVo?

You can get 6 months free from VM I believe however I'm not sure who qualifies and who doesn't I'm sure someone will be able to advise you on this , if you just elect for the free month on the website its as simple as registering then choosing a password. Once you have your password its as simple as opening the Netflix app on your chosen device and entering your email and chosen password and your in.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35657579)
You can get 6 months free from VM I believe however I'm not sure who qualifies and who doesn't I'm sure someone will be able to advise you on this , if you just elect for the free month on the website its as simple as registering then choosing a password. Once you have your password its as simple as opening the Netflix app on your chosen device and entering your email and chosen password and your in.

Excellent, thank you MM.

paultrademark 24-12-2013 18:51

To get the 6 months free, you need to recontract for 12 months and be on Premier or VIP collection.

You also can't have any loyalty discounts on your account.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35657581)
To get the 6 months free, you need to recontract for 12 months and be on Premier or VIP collection.

You also can't have any loyalty discounts on your account.

Hm, that's me snookered then! I'm on the top VIP package which has various loyalty discounts, I would have thought that if you are committing to another 12 month contract, then you should still be able to get this deal.

spiderplant 24-12-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35657584)
Hm, that's me snookered then! I'm on the top VIP package which has various loyalty discounts, I would have thought that if you are committing to another 12 month contract, then you should still be able to get this deal.

As long as you don't have any additional discounts such as Mates Rates you may be eligible. Give them a call.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35657587)
As long as you don't have any additional discounts such as Mates Rates you may be eligible. Give them a call.

Will do mate, thanks.

andy_m 24-12-2013 19:17

Bear in mind that the value of 6 months Netflix is less than £36 before you commit to a twelve month contract for it. With price rises coming you might find you're in a better position if you're out of contract.

Mad Max 24-12-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m (Post 35657592)
Bear in mind that the value of 6 months Netflix is less than £36 before you commit to a twelve month contract for it. With price rises coming you might find you're in a better position if you're out of contract.

Good point, cheers Andy!

solitaire 27-12-2013 15:23

Anybody ever had problems with Netflix buffering? I was watching a film a few nights ago when it did this to me about five times. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem on my 60mb connection. Mind you, I've only watched four films so far since I joined, so I'm hoping that it was a one off problem.

passingbat 27-12-2013 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by solitaire (Post 35658102)
Anybody ever had problems with Netflix buffering? I was watching a film a few nights ago when it did this to me about five times. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem on my 60mb connection. Mind you, I've only watched four films so far since I joined, so I'm hoping that it was a one off problem.

If you're watching via Tivo, it isn't using your 60 meg BB connection, it is accessing Netflix via Tivo's inbuilt 10meg connection.

Mad Max 27-12-2013 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35658104)
If you're watching via Tivo, it isn't using your 60 meg BB connection, it is accessing Netflix via Tivo's inbuilt 10meg connection.

Very true, but 10Mb should be adequate, the Netflix site quotes 0.5Mb as enough for streaming.

muppetman11 27-12-2013 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35658105)
Very true, but 10Mb should be adequate, the Netflix site quotes 0.5Mb as enough for streaming.

My parents have found Netflix hit and miss via TIVO during the day it will stream at Super HD however some evenings and weekends its down at 480 and occasionly hits 720 , they don't have this issue if they use there home VM BB connection.

mdb1992 27-12-2013 21:13

Hi all i got my 6 month code so i went on netflix app and it says start free one month trial. If i choose this can i have 7 months free or do i not do this.

pengedragon 28-12-2013 07:34

Yes, you can do the trial first

qwakuk 28-12-2013 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb1992 (Post 35658178)
Hi all i got my 6 month code so i went on netflix app and it says start free one month trial. If i choose this can i have 7 months free or do i not do this.

Can confirm this works as I did it ;)

mdb1992 28-12-2013 19:28

Thanks

weenie 28-12-2013 23:22

cool:I love netflix think it is great value for money

Mad Max 29-12-2013 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35658440)
cool:I love netflix think it is great value for money

Me too, i've just started watching over the last few days and I must say i'm really impressed, if I could drop some of the garbage from my VIP package and it saved me money, I would seriously consider paying the £5.99 per month for Netflix.

Mal 29-12-2013 21:51

What I am finding slightly annoying about Netflix is that some of the TV shows do not have every series of that show available for viewing. Fair enough if the series has just been shown on the normal TV station, but for example Star Trek The Next Generation, which has been off the air for quite a while, only has series 1 to 4; Castle only has the first two series.

I don't like starting watching a show and then wondering how am I going to watch the remaining shows; is it going to appear on Netflix soon or even at all. I just finished watching series 1-3 of Justified, but now I am stuck about series 4, will it appear? Luckily 5usa appear to be repeating series 4.

mdb1992 30-12-2013 00:13

For some reason everytime i watch netflix the picture is rubbish. It either judders or the lip sinc is out, how can this be sorted out

Kabaal 30-12-2013 00:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb1992 (Post 35658660)
For some reason everytime i watch netflix the picture is rubbish. It either judders or the lip sinc is out, how can this be sorted out

You might need to set your TV's refresh rate if TIVO is the same as the WDTV with Netflix and doesn't change it automatically. For example if it's a 23.976fps show/movie then set your TV to 24hz, if it's 25fps set it to 50hz and if it's 29.97fps set it to 60hz.

You can start whatever it is you want to watch in a web browser then press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C to see the frame rate you need to set.

mdb1992 30-12-2013 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35658661)
You might need to set your TV's refresh rate if TIVO is the same as the WDTV with Netflix and doesn't change it automatically. For example if it's a 23.976fps show/movie then set your TV to 24hz, if it's 25fps set it to 50hz and if it's 29.97fps set it to 60hz.

You can start whatever it is you want to watch in a web browser then press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+C to see the frame rate you need to set.

Thanks but my TV is LG and as far as i know i cant change it from 50hz, any ideas. Everything else on Tivo plays well just netflix judders and its awful and unwatchable

Kabaal 30-12-2013 02:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb1992 (Post 35658662)
Thanks but my TV is LG and as far as i know i cant change it from 50hz, any ideas. Everything else on Tivo plays well just netflix judders and its awful and unwatchable

My TV is LG too and i need to change the refresh rate manually through the WDTV each time i watch Netflix. Check the TIVO's settings as it may let you change manually too, i don't have TIVO so can't check.

It's a pain in the backside but better than having juddery panning scenes all the time.

weenie 30-12-2013 02:50

My tv is a LG42LF7700 Trumotion 100Hz, i do not have a problem with netflix but my son does on his Lg 32 50hz tv so he watches it through his xbox and that seems to work for him don't know why it just does.

mdb1992 30-12-2013 02:53

Sorry to be a pain but what does WDTV mean and how do i change the settings on tivo?

OLD BOY 30-12-2013 17:13

I am sure that Customer Services can sort this out for you rather than having to start worrying about these technical issues. You may need a visit, though.

passingbat 30-12-2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdb1992 (Post 35658669)
Sorry to be a pain but what does WDTV mean and how do i change the settings on tivo?

You need to go into settings on Tivo and see what the video output is set to.

If the TV being used will support 24fps, then try to set the video output on Tivo to include the 1080p/24fps setting. It will say something like 'pass through only'.

You can test what resolutions your TV supports in the Tivo video settings menu.

Not sure about the UK Netflix, but much of the US Netflix, (film and TV) is 1080p/24, so include that setting in Tivo if y0ou can.

The WDTV is a streamer box that does Netflix and has nothing to do with Tivo settings.

muppetman11 30-12-2013 21:42

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...n-January.html

weenie 30-12-2013 22:08

:( What a let down sometimes things are too good to be true :bigcry:

theone2k10 30-12-2013 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35658856)
:( What a let down sometimes things are too good to be true :bigcry:

Content expires new content comes that's how on demand services work.
Same happens with Sky, Lovefilm etc rights expire and new content arrives. No let down about it.

weenie 30-12-2013 23:08

thank goodness for that i have just got netflix but still a bit sad as there is a couple of films i wanted to see but they are getting removed on the 1st January and won't have time with work and all but looking forward to see the new

theone2k10 31-12-2013 00:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35658871)
thank goodness for that i have just got netflix but still a bit sad as there is a couple of films i wanted to see but they are getting removed on the 1st January and won't have time with work and all but looking forward to see the new

They'll add new content gradually :) i highly recommend Orange is the new black and Hemlock grove.
They are both made by Netflix and put a lot of mainstream shows to shame imo lol.

nicknewark 31-12-2013 08:33

Agreed, Orange is the New black is great, just watching Hemlock Grove, which I think is great, really different.

House of Cards is Next.

Netflix is great IMO, and a great addition.

mhatter67 31-12-2013 09:12

Quick question is Netflix subscription done through your personal direct Debit with them or VM, if it is through Netflix how would VM credit your account with 6 months free subscription?

Thanks in advance.

joglynne 31-12-2013 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhatter67 (Post 35658915)
Quick question is Netflix subscription done through your personal direct Debit with them or VM, if it is through Netflix how would VM credit your account with 6 months free subscription?

Thanks in advance.

The free offer is in the form of a credit, VM provide a code by email which you give to Netflix, once the credit runs out you have to pay for your subscription by Direct Debit which can be cancelled at any time.

clayts 31-12-2013 11:17

You can pay your Netflix subscription by Paypal too ;)

theone2k10 31-12-2013 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayts (Post 35658939)
You can pay your Netflix subscription by Paypal too ;)

This is how i normally pay, atm i have 12 months free as a xmas prezzie of my cousin lol.

passingbat 02-01-2014 19:36

Netflix are experimenting with alternative cost streaming plans.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/30/5...-new-customers

Kabaal 02-01-2014 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35659486)
Netflix are experimenting with alternative cost streaming plans.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/30/5...-new-customers

Only being a single dollar cheaper, losing HD and being limited to one device i can't see that one getting much uptake.

Hopefully they start experimenting with higher tiers that offer more than just extra devices. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for DTS audio for example.

passingbat 02-01-2014 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35659487)
Only being a single dollar cheaper, losing HD and being limited to one device i can't see that one getting much uptake.

Hopefully they start experimenting with higher tiers that offer more than just extra devices. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for DTS audio for example.

As someone pointed out on another forum, if you mainly view on a tablet with a small screen, where HD is not as important, it maybe attractive; maybe?

Kabaal 02-01-2014 21:03

Yeah i suppose, although i doubt many people use a tablet as their sole viewing device but rather as a secondary one. I'm sure it would be useful to some, i just doubt it would be very many.

weenie 04-01-2014 01:11

I have just started watching orange is the new black and i love the show.

howardmicks 04-01-2014 02:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35659833)
I have just started watching orange is the new black and i love the show.

Brilliant show would recommend lilyhammer aswell both s1&2 are available now

nicknewark 04-01-2014 12:28

Orange is the new Black is one of the best shows I've seen in ages, also Hemlock Grove is proving a great watch.

I'd have been lost at Christmas without Netflix, I hope they continue to add great stuff.

denphone 04-01-2014 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by howardmicks (Post 35659845)
Brilliant show would recommend lilyhammer aswell both s1&2 are available now

Indeed Lillyhammer is very good Howard.

kandinsky 04-01-2014 13:17

Anyone confirm this post on HUKD?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/netf...gin-up-1781191

Netflix free for 6 months on Virgin Media Just call Virgin up