Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : DAZN (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710012)

johnasimmons 09-05-2021 09:57

DAZN

any one got any news about VM getting DAZN ?

nodrogd 09-05-2021 11:56

Re: DAZN

I’m doubtful many companies like these will want to increase their outlay by joining what are basically linear TV platforms. The app is installed on a lot of TVs directly, so spending out on developing apps for VMs or SkyQ boxes will just push their costs up for little gain.

Richardr 09-05-2021 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36079111)
I’m doubtful many companies like these will want to increase their outlay by joining what are basically linear TV platforms. The app is installed on a lot of TVs directly, so spending out on developing apps for VMs or SkyQ boxes will just push their costs up for little gain.

DAZN is available on the Sky Q boxes for their Italian and German services - both places where DAZN has significant football rights. I dare say the same app will be made available in the UK if they get significant rights here.

They are on certain cable providers where they have significant rights, e.g. Vodafone's cable service in Germany.

Rob King 13-05-2021 10:28

In theory if Dazn show football games sky sports show then I would think if its cheaper than sky than Sky might not want people to pay less etc , will see what the future holds out

johnathome 13-05-2021 17:37

I thought DAZN was now available in the UK?

I went to the website and it says not available in this country?

No VPN on but I do have a different DNS, is that it?

Raider999 13-05-2021 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob King (Post 36079338)
In theory if Dazn show football games sky sports show then I would think if its cheaper than sky than Sky might not want people to pay less etc , will see what the future holds out

Except it would be illegal for DAZN to allow their broadcasts to be available in the UK as they don't own the UK rights.

Something similar happened in the Arabian gulf with a different company muscling in illegally.

1andrew1 14-05-2021 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathome (Post 36079362)
I thought DAZN was now available in the UK?

I went to the website and it says not available in this country?

No VPN on but I do have a different DNS, is that it?

It's certainly available in the UK so the issue likely lies at your end
https://www.dazn.com/en-GB/welcome

OLD BOY 14-05-2021 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36079111)

I think you are underestimating the advantage of having your streamer included on major platforms such as Sky, Virgin and BT, to be honest.

Raider999 14-05-2021 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36079451)
I think you are underestimating the advantage of having your streamer included on major platforms such as Sky, Virgin and BT, to be honest.

DAZN is not available on sky - not sure about the others.

From what I can glean, DAZN is currently £1.99 pm and has Boxing and MMA only in the UK - saying that if you are into either it seems cheap.

If that is the sort of monthly charge streamers are expecting to get, they may get a lot of subscribers, but little profit?

1andrew1 14-05-2021 23:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36079459)

From what I can glean, DAZN is currently £1.99 pm and has Boxing and MMA only in the UK - saying that if you are into either it seems cheap.

If that is the sort of monthly charge streamers are expecting to get, they may get a lot of subscribers, but little profit?

It's a well-tested approach. Come in cheap and grow the content and price.

In Italy, DAZN is on a satellie linear channel viewable on Sky. I'm not sure about the app. https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...italia-channel

If DAZN acquired more rights then absolutely I could see it doing the same thing as it's done in Italy.

ozsat 15-05-2021 07:41

There are 2-3 non fighting documentaries in there - but 99% is Boxing/MMA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36079459)