Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Deals for exisiting customers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708437)

BenMcr 16-10-2020 09:33

Re: Deals for exisiting customers

My understanding on it is this.

Any price rises will apply to the services you have. That's true. However they wouldn't take effect till the end of the 18 months. So the price you pay is fixed at the contracted rate.

At the end of the 18 months the bundle price will be whatever the services cost at that point, which may be different to what was quoted when you took out the contract.

Raider999 16-10-2020 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36053981)

Any price rises will apply to the services you have. That's true. However they wouldn't take effect till the end of the 18 months. So the price you pay is fixed at the contracted rate.

At the end of the 18 months the bundle price will be whatever the services cost at that point, which may be different to what was quoted when you took out the contract.

That would be fair.

Aldair 16-10-2020 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36053981)

Thanks for your input. It was your post above that alerted me to fixed price contracts. Terms and conditions referred to in my contract, unlike website, does not state price will not increase during minimum period. Got a reasonable deal. Will be pleasantly surprised if no increase happens. Will make enquiries if it does!

45rpm 10-11-2020 18:20

Hello everyone

I think there should be a legal requirement that no company can offer a better deal to new customers that is better than the deal for existing customers.

In other words, whatever offer is up for grabs to newbies should also be open to longstanding loyal clientele.

Mr K 10-11-2020 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36057372)
Hello everyone

I think there should be a legal requirement that no company can offer a better deal to new customers that is better than the deal for existing customers.

In other words, whatever offer is up for grabs to newbies should also be open to longstanding loyal clientele.

Lots of us would agree but won't happen. New customers are everything, existing customers to be fleeced unless they threaten to leave. Does happen in lots of places but the tv/broadband sector seems to be worst. (Hello BTW! :) )

RobboEdin 10-11-2020 19:35

Quote:

Hello everyone

So everyone gets the same increased price deal.

OLD BOY 10-11-2020 19:51

Quote:

Hello everyone

I don’t see why. These are only time-limited offers to attract new customers. Are you also opposed to free trial periods for streaming services? Or introductory offers for maintenance contracts? Or special rates for new customers taking out insurance with a new company?

45rpm 11-11-2020 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36057404)
I don’t see why. These are only time-limited offers to attract new customers. Are you also opposed to free trial periods for streaming services? Or introductory offers for maintenance contracts? Or special rates for new customers taking out insurance with a new company?

I am against loyal customers subsidising fly by night opportunists.

OLD BOY 11-11-2020 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36057571)
I am against loyal customers subsidising fly by night opportunists.

On the other hand, by attracting new customers, you strengthen the company’s ability to provide better services, as well as profits, for the benefit of existing customers.

pip08456 11-11-2020 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36057601)
On the other hand, by attracting new customers, you strengthen the company’s ability to provide better services, as well as profits, for the benefit of existing customers.

They aren't new customer though. They're just "fly by night opportunists"!

OLD BOY 11-11-2020 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36057622)
They aren't new customer though. They're just "fly by night opportunists"!

I thought I heard them first thing this morning but it turned out to be flocks of migrating geese! :D

45rpm 11-11-2020 21:41

Quote:

On the other hand, by attracting new customers, you strengthen the company’s ability to provide better services

So a company (eg Barclaycard) that loses money and trades at a loss can provide a better service. Err, I think there is a flaw in that argument.

Quote:

as well as profits

A company that undercharges customers makes more profit. ??????

Quote:

for the benefit of existing customers.

Even if by your inverted logic profits were to go up, is the company’s extra income going to find its way into customer's pockets.

OLD BOY 11-11-2020 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by 45rpm (Post 36057652)
So a company (eg Barclaycard) that loses money and trades at a loss can provide a better service. Err, I think there is a flaw in that argument.

A company that undercharges customers makes more profit. ??????

Even if by your inverted logic profits were to go up, is the company’s extra income going to find its way into customer's pockets.

There is no flaw. The offers are time-limited and ultimately, revenue is increased to a level where a profit is made from each customer.

Clearly, weak companies cannot offer the same to customers as strong companies.

jfman 11-11-2020 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36057680)
There is no flaw. The offers are time-limited and ultimately, revenue is increased to a level where a profit is made from each customer.

Clearly, weak companies cannot offer the same to customers as strong companies.

In textbook economics maybe. In practice those better able to leverage debt means that far from 'strong' companies can disrupt markets for significant periods disrupting companies with sustainable business models.

Uber being the latest example. It's unlikely to ever reach the market share for initial investors who have ploughed billions down the toilet to see a return. Meanwhile employment rights and working conditions have been eroded for taxi drivers around the world.

OLD BOY 11-11-2020 23:28

While companies are able to avoid tax by having large amounts of debt, then that will be the name of the game.