Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : 2.4 says no internet connection (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709335)

Reddwarf4ever 02-09-2020 10:51

2.4 says no internet connection

I have a 3.0 hub, it often connects to 2.4 But says “no internet connection” The 5.0 connects perfectly every time.

This same issue happened with my previous 3.0 hub, which I had replaced with a new one, but have the same issue.....using 2 iPhones and 2 iPads

jb66 02-09-2020 11:27

Re: 2.4 says no internet connection

Sounds like you need to disable smart wifi. Smart wifi disables data on 2.4ghz to try and force the device to use 5ghz

Reddwarf4ever 02-09-2020 12:15

Hadn’t thought of that, but found an idea elsewhere to hold the reset button for 60 seconds, longer than Virgin suggest and seems to have worked 2.4 and 5.0 perfect....fingers crossed it stays.....may help others with the same problem

admars 12-09-2020 22:54

interesting, i might have to try that on my shub4, which is downstiars in lounge where shub2 used to be.

I was on shub2 until recently, it was fine, but i had a phonecall asking if i wanted a 4, so i thought i may as well.

a couple of our laptops have been hit and miss about connecting to the wifi.

only today it occured to me, my mobile, the missus' mobile and my work latop upstairs never have a problem (upstairs laptop used to lose connection now and again with shub 2).

i had one of the other laptops, which is a few years old 2m away from the shub4 and it lost internet mid use! so i connected to shub4 and saw that the older laptops are on 2.4, the phones and work laptop 5

Reddwarf4ever 12-09-2020 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 36049796)
interesting, i might have to try that on my shub4, which is downstiars in lounge where shub2 used to be.

I was on shub2 until recently, it was fine, but i had a phonecall asking if i wanted a 4, so i thought i may as well.

a couple of our laptops have been hit and miss about connecting to the wifi.

only today it occured to me, my mobile, the missus' mobile and my work latop upstairs never have a problem (upstairs laptop used to lose connection now and again with shub 2).

i had one of the other laptops, which is a few years old 2m away from the shub4 and it lost internet mid use! so i connected to shub4 and saw that the older laptops are on 2.4, the phones and work laptop 5

🤞 it works, mine still,perfect, even starts up quicker in the morning, as I turn it off over night....😎

admars 13-09-2020 10:52

posted on the vm forums, you can set it to broadcast 2 IDs, like the superhub2 did, so someone suggested:

Quote:

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’
so, i can attach the old laptops to network2 and newer devices to networkid5 like they used to be :)

stops it trying to be too clever ;) I can see the logic of simplifying it, but i guess it doesn't work too well in cases like mine and yours.

SnoopZ 13-09-2020 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 36049819)
posted on the vm forums, you can set it to broadcast 2 IDs, like the superhub2 did, so someone suggested:

so, i can attach the old laptops to network2 and newer devices to networkid5 like they used to be :)

stops it trying to be too clever ;) I can see the logic of simplifying it, but i guess it doesn't work too well in cases like mine and yours.

The first thing i did years ago was change the naming of everything to make it easy to select which network for each device, i thought this was simple and a no brainer?