Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

martyh 24-06-2016 14:46

Re: Should the UK invoke Article 50?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35845228)
Depends what they are planning. I've seen some people suggesting that this attempt to leave the EU is an attempt to get better terms for rejoining the EU. This is a possibility if they don't invoke Article 50. If they invoke Article 50, if my understanding is correct, there will be no option to rejoin the EU.

Do I think the government will rejoin the EU under any circumstances? I don't know. Most of Parliament appear to want us to have stayed in the EU, so maybe they will. The MPs that wanted to leave won't, I don't think they will, although several of them have shown they are perfectly willing to change allegiances (Bo-Jo being the major one).

It may be that us leaving starts a domino effect and that in turn forces the EU into re winding to something more akin to the old EEC which we would probably want to be part of and as you say invoking Article 50 would preclude that

papa smurf 24-06-2016 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35845228)
Depends what they are planning. I've seen some people suggesting that this attempt to leave the EU is an attempt to get better terms for rejoining the EU. This is a possibility if they don't invoke Article 50. If they invoke Article 50, if my understanding is correct, there will be no option to rejoin the EU.

Do I think the government will rejoin the EU under any circumstances? I don't know. Most of Parliament appear to want us to have stayed in the EU, so maybe they will. The MPs that wanted to leave won't, I don't think they will, although several of them have shown they are perfectly willing to change allegiances (Bo-Jo being the major one).

i cant imagine wanting to rejoin its broken every one knows its broken i think other country's will follow our lead to the point where the whole thing collapses

Pierre 24-06-2016 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845144)
I think we'll end up with a Norway style deal or won't invoke it

Why would we want a Norway deal?

Damien 24-06-2016 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35845330)
Why would we want a Norway deal?

Access to the single market.

RBMark 24-06-2016 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845334)

If the EU wants access to our market, then they will let us have access to theirs. Do you really think Merkel wants to tell VW they just lost their second biggest market for cars worth €billions a year?

Or BMW they can't sell in the UK? Or Adidas? Etc etc? It's a 2 way street! Leaders of German industry have made it very clear they want the UK to keep its free trade agreements. An as Germany is a democracy then all will be fine

I mean if we can't buy VW's or BMW's then sales of none EU made cars will rise. We will still buy cars, just not german cars! That's a lot of trade for Germany to say goodbye to.

Damien 24-06-2016 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845338)
If the EU wants access to our market, then they will let us have access to theirs. Do you really think Merkel wants to tell VW they just lost their second biggest market for cars worth €billions a year?

Or BMW they can't sell in the UK? Or Adidas? Etc etc? It's a 2 way street! Leaders of German industry have made it very clear they want the UK to keep its free trade agreements. An as Germany is a democracy then all will be fine

I mean if we can't buy VW's or BMW's then sales of none EU made cars will rise. We will still buy cars, just not german cars! That's a lot of trade for Germany to say goodbye to.

Yes we get access to each others markets but with freedom of movement. By the way the EU is much bigger than us in terms of GDP and addressable market so the advantage is theirs.

Pierre 24-06-2016 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845334)

Norway have accept free movement of people, agree to the Schengen Zone, and pay a comparable amount per head of population into the EU coffers.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post2354.html

Norway is not the model we want or we might as well of stayed in the EU.

martyh 24-06-2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845341)
Yes we get access to each others markets but with freedom of movement. By the way the EU is much bigger than us in terms of GDP and addressable market so the advantage is theirs.

What's with this entrenched idea that we must have freedom of movement to access the single market .Australia ,japan and the US all benefit from the single market and do not have to have to allow all EU citizens into their countries.

Damien 24-06-2016 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35845343)
Norway have accept free movement of people, agree to the Schengen Zone, and pay a comparable amount per head of population into the EU coffers.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post2354.html

Norway is not the model we want or we might as well of stayed in the EU.

Yes. There will be downsides.

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35845347)
What's with this entrenched idea that we must have freedom of movement to access the single market .Australia ,japan and the US all benefit from the single market and do not have to have to allow all EU citizens into their countries.

They don't have a single market. :confused:

Pierre 24-06-2016 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35845347)

A single market is not the same as a free trade agreement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36083664

RBMark 24-06-2016 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845341)

Yes but Germany get hurt if we stop buying German goods, Germany won't like that. So you understand, as whole the EU thinks it's all powerful but as each member state realises what it's going to lose if it doesn't trade with the U.K. Then then EC will be under pressure from members who are about to lose BILLIONS in UK trade.

An we are a rich country, you won't replace customers as wealthy as us very easily! Have some pride and belief in your amazing country!!! I believe the ball really is in our court.

Damien 24-06-2016 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845357)
An we are a rich country, you won't replace customers as wealthy as us very easily! Have some pride and belief in your amazing country!!! I believe the ball really is in our court.

This is what terrifies me. No one has any plan at all.

Pierre 24-06-2016 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBMark (Post 35845357)
Yes but Germany get hurt if we stop buying German goods, Germany won't like that. So you understand, as whole the EU thinks it's all powerful but as each member state realises what it's going to lose if it doesn't trade with the U.K. Then then EC will be under pressure from members who are about to lose BILLIONS in UK trade.

Nobody is going to stop trading with nobody.

Damien 24-06-2016 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35845359)
Nobody is going to stop trading with nobody.

It's the nature of trade that is the issue. I.E Tariffs on services? We have a problem.

martyh 24-06-2016 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35845353)

They don't have a single market. :confused:

They have access to it as do many other countries in the same way as we would want it and none of them have to have freedom of movement .We do not have to be a member of the single market to benefit from it