Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702214)

Gavin-D 21-01-2016 12:42

Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Quote:

‏Around 900 jobs are under threat at telecoms firm Virgin Media after it announced plans for a shake-up.

The group, owned by US giant Liberty Global, warned that the redundancies were likely over the next two years as it undergoes a structural shake-up.

Chief executive Tom Mockridge said: "The proposed reorganisation will give us an even sharper focus on the customer, network expansion and business growth."
http://news.sky.com/story/1627084/90...t-virgin-media

Pierre 21-01-2016 16:19

Re: Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

It took long enough to come out. It was announced on Tuesday.

There are no specifics, quite annoying. It's pretty much were getting rid of 900 positions but we don't know where and we don't know when

So you can all worry for the next 24 months.

Very shabby IMO

hedgie 21-01-2016 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35818357)
It took long enough to come out. It was announced on Tuesday.

There are no specifics, quite annoying. It's pretty much were getting rid of 900 positions but we don't know where and we don't know when

So you can all worry for the next 24 months.

Very shabby IMO

Been through a couple of Consultations myself recently, its never good and always feels badly managed. Our place told one team before Christmas they were going to be in Consultation, got staff reps sorted and prepared a timeline. The when we came back after Christmas it was oh don't worry we have a plan B now. Makes you wonder who is charge,

I have a few mates at Port Talbot as well, I feel for everyone in Consultation. there are some good VM staffers on this forum.

denphone 21-01-2016 17:12

Not good for the staff that's for sure.

heero_yuy 21-01-2016 17:30

I bet where ever the cuts are they won't cut the ming-mongs in India.:(

Ignitionnet 21-01-2016 18:00

The people in India don't work for VM so indeed not.

tweedle 21-01-2016 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35818370)
I bet where ever the cuts are they won't cut the ming-mongs in India.:(

Read that back to yourself... Yeah... Now delete it!

richard s 21-01-2016 20:41

Time is a coming to give VM the heave-ho... four pound increase and staff redundant!

Need to be upgraded to better equipment (though the broadband will suffer in speed) the TV will have more programs (on the lowest tier due to unemployment) 100 meg... Phone... Still paying £50 a month! Need to haggle, and haggle and haggle what a life.

papa smurf 21-01-2016 21:26

we [local staff] had a discussion about this at our local vm office yesterday we think the company should ask all the employees if they want redundancy we think the answer might shock them .

Ignitionnet 21-01-2016 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35818410)
Time is a coming to give VM the heave-ho... four pound increase and staff redundant!

Need to be upgraded to better equipment (though the broadband will suffer in speed) the TV will have more programs (on the lowest tier due to unemployment) 100 meg... Phone... Still paying £50 a month! Need to haggle, and haggle and haggle what a life.

One of the more bizarre posts I have read today.

Just FYI VM will, net, be sustaining more jobs than before thanks to Project Lightning.

Pierre 21-01-2016 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35818422)
we [local staff] had a discussion about this at our local vm office yesterday we think the company should ask all the employees if they want redundancy we think the answer might shock them .

This has happened several times recently Smurf. Many experienced people have walked.

The jobs market in telecoms is still buoyant, especially in the South. Around the M3, M4 corridors people are walking no problem and straight into another job.

jungleguy 21-01-2016 22:48

Share price down 40% over a 6 month period, Morgan Stanley has recently flagged the Liberty Global stock as being over valued citing Virgin Media as being uncompetitive, thus stock market needed a reaction, and redundancies made.........complete nonsense as its senior management's mismanagement that has caused this mess.

VM has put its eggs in one basket, thinking the number of customers that want 200mb broadband is greater than the number that want a good deal......far from the reality.

And I understand its a pretty miserable company to work for......personally I think Richard Branson is full of more hot air than one of his balloons.

hedgie 21-01-2016 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleguy (Post 35818437)
Share price down 40% over a 6 month period, Morgan Stanley has recently flagged the Liberty Global stock as being over valued citing Virgin Media as being uncompetitive, thus stock market needed a reaction, and redundancies made.........complete nonsense as its senior management's mismanagement that has caused this mess.

VM has put its eggs in one basket, thinking the number of customers that want 200mb broadband is greater than the number that want a good deal......far from the reality.

And I understand its a pretty miserable company to work for......personally I think Richard Branson is full of more hot air than one of his balloons.

I'm really not sure how much Richard has to do with the management of VM, other than the ads......

Would be interesting to hear his view on how the brand is being damaged by the poor service through congestion/overselling/under capacity issues. You only have to look in the speed section of the VM Help forum. No shortage of angry customers there, including me.....

Pierre 22-01-2016 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungleguy (Post 35818437)

Richard Branson has pretty much nothing to do with the company.

You understand wrong, they're a good company to work for..

hedgie 22-01-2016 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35818449)
You understand wrong, they're a good company to work for..

But for many of us, a rubbish firm to be a customer of......

Sorry this thread is way of topic now.:dunce: