Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The return of the lb (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711085)

Jaymoss 29-05-2022 16:04

The return of the lb

Not sure if this is set to be permanent or just for the Jubilee but we may well be seeing the return of imperial measures

this government you give them and inch and they take a mile

They need beating with a yard stick I tell ya

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/28/boris...ilee-16729733/

Damien 29-05-2022 16:34

Re: The return of the lb

It's stupid but also a bit of a gimmick since it's only allowing stores to sell in imperial if they want to do so. Maybe they'll have both. I can't see us moving to imperial for the things which have been metric for so long, too many people have grown up with metric now and it's more intuitive than imperial unless you grew up with the latter.

To be honest I assume it was legal anyway since buying pints in pubs and so on.

Chris 29-05-2022 16:50

It’s difficult to know exactly what can change here … IIRC the changes that occurred around the turn of the millennium banned sales of goods by imperial measure only, with a very few exceptions (alcoholic drink traditionally served by the pint being one of them). You could still put imperial measurements on your price label but you were compelled to also put the metric equivalent. In practice this only really affected greengrocers and other sellers of loose goods as packaged goods had long included both metric and imperial units.

Seeing as anyone can put an imperial measure on their goods if they want, what’s really changing? Are they going to permit removal of the metric measures everyone under 50 was taught at school?

Paul 29-05-2022 17:53

Selling petrol in gallons again would be eye watering - £7.90 per gallon. :shocked:

Hom3r 29-05-2022 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36123988)
Selling petrol in gallons again would be eye watering - £7.90 per gallon. :shocked:

Where are you paying that, I filled up on the 4th May and paid £8.71 a gallon?

Hugh 29-05-2022 19:15

Nice round figure - 8 guineas per gallon…

Paul 29-05-2022 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 36123995)
Where are you paying that, I filled up on the 4th May and paid £8.71 a gallon?

My local Morrisons.

When I was in my last year at school, I worked at a petrol station, selling it at 75p a gallon.

Julian 29-05-2022 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36124000)
My local Morrisons.

When I was in my last year at school, I worked at a petrol station, selling it at 75p a gallon.

When I worked at my local Esso garage, 8 gallons was £2:88, a pint of mild in the Spotted Cow was 10p and 10 Cambridge cigarettes ( with Green Shield stamps ) was 12.5p. :erm:

mrmistoffelees 30-05-2022 07:53

More testiculation*from Boris…. Imperial measurements never really went away.

*from testiculate, to wave one’s arms around whilst talking bo***cks

Maggy 30-05-2022 08:28

I'm annoyed.After all the crap in trying to teach metrics instead of imperial along side imperial back in the last century Bobblehead is taking us back to a place of pain.:mad:

OLD BOY 30-05-2022 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36124018)
I'm annoyed.After all the crap in trying to teach metrics instead of imperial along side imperial back in the last century Bobblehead is taking us back to a place of pain.:mad:

Correct. When we first joined the EU, some people refused to display their prices in a different way from before and were eventually prosecuted for it. The law expects traders to use metric measurements, but permits imperial to be used alongside.

With Boris's new proposed measure, traders will be allowed to convert back to imperial, but given the fact you mention, that more recent generations have been taught only metric measurements, they will need to display both now as well if they don't want to confuse half the population.

Result: no change.

Nice one, Boris. Let's get back to levelling up, sorting out the economy and abolishing or changing the EU laws we still have that legitimately restrict trade. That's what will get you re-elected.

BenMcr 30-05-2022 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36124023)
Correct. When we first joined the EU, some people refused to display their prices in a different way from before and were eventually prosecuted for it. The law expects traders to use metric measurements, but permits imperial to be used

Wasn't even the EU, the rules were set when it was the EEC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Martyrs

Quote:

In 2001 Steve Thoburn, the main defendant in the original case,[3] was convicted of two offences under the Weights and Measures Act 1985 of using weighing equipment that was not stamped by a Weights and Measures Inspector.[4] The stamps had been obliterated because the scales were not capable of weighing in the metric system as well as imperial, and hence were no longer permitted for commercial use

1andrew1 30-05-2022 09:45

Doesn't matter whether you use inches or centimetres, Johnson doesn't measure up for the job. :D

jonbxx 30-05-2022 09:50

Just another good old dead cat announcement. Imperial measurements were never banned just as crowns on pint (568ml) glasses were never banned. It's just some nonsense to give some a warm and fuzzy feeling while winding up 'remoaners' and setting off a nice culture war.

SI units and the derived metric system are well and truly here to stay. As others have pointed out, metric has been taught in schools for donkeys years. It also just makes sense - the relationship between different measurements is clear. There is a lot of legacy imperial units used in engineering and there are some fun mish mash measurements so you get 6mm tubing with 1" connectors and the like

Pierre 30-05-2022 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36124017)
More testiculation*from Boris…. Imperial measurements never really went away.

*from testiculate, to wave one’s arms around whilst talking bo***cks

but they didn't did they?

For engineering (calculations etc), they definitely went away, but in everyday life........

I still weigh myself in Stones & Pounds

I measure my height in Feet and Inches

I drink pints

I recently bought some land was that measured in acres

My speedo reads mph, signs gives distances in miles.

I measure cold temperatures in Celsius and hot ones in Fahrenheit.

We as a nation are nominally bi-lingual between metric and imperial and happily use both depending on the scenario.