Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The photography thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707313)

Hom3r 20-01-2019 13:18

The photography thread

We have a thread for photo of the day but not one about equipment and techniques etc.

As a beginner, it will help me and others to share hints etc.

I myself bought the Nikon D5600 kit that comes with a AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-f5.6G VR lens.

In a few months I'll get the 55-300mm lens

But ATM I'm using auto mode/auto no flash mode to get used to handling the camera.

Later I'll experiment with Shutter & Aperture priority modes.

One thing I'd like to do is photgraph the moon, but will the 18-55mm lens do this, I guess I'd need to put in manual mode and play with shutter/aperture modes?

Taf 20-01-2019 14:03

Re: The photography thread

55mm is very short for telescopic photos, although high pixel levels on many cameras would allow you to crop a lot of the sky out.

I used a 600mm lens with high ISO / ASA speed film for lunar shots, on a very stable tripod.

Learning how to control aperture and speed is not difficult once you understand the basics.

Basically a high speed with a large aperture is the same exposure as a slow speed with a small aperture (they act on a comparative scale, so one step up in speed means you increase the aperture size by one step, one step down in speed means you decrease the aperture by one step). The difference is that small apertures produce large depths of field, large apertures produce tight depths of field. And high speeds stop motion, whilst slow speeds will show blurred motion.

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

And don't forget that the moon is moving, and it moves a lot faster than most realise. So a slow speed will not produce totally crisp pictures unless you are using a tracking mount or goto mount.

peanut 20-01-2019 15:55

1 Attachment(s)
Another thing when trying to shoot the moon is that it's better when it is not a full moon. Here's one of my old ones from a 300mm zoom.

As you can see the craters are better when it's not full due to the shadows.

peanut 20-01-2019 16:09

I would also try to avoid using the built in flash as much as possible. They are no way near as good as something like an SB-700 which I like playing with. To be able to bounce the flash in whatever direction can make all the difference.

If you like landscape photography then check out the basic filters to start with such as polarized (makes the sky bluer, grass greener and gets rid of reflections etc) and ND filters. (Making running water look smooth and smokey etc). Also good for longer exposure in bright lights.

If you're totally new to photography then get some books. There's one for that camera in which you'll learn more within minutes than months of fiddling about.

heero_yuy 20-01-2019 16:53

When I was seriously into film photography with my 35mm Nikon FT2 I had a Tamron 28 to 100mm F5.6 zoom which was the most used lens in my kit. I also had a 2x multiplier that would scale it 50 to 200mm.

Other lenses were the F1.4 50mm standard Nikon lens and a 300mm f5.6 Tamron telephoto. All of which could use the 2x multiplier.

Night photographs using moonlight and a tripod were quite interesting on the coast: 30 seconds at F5.6 on 400 ASA film produced results that looked like daylight but the sea had that misty look due to the long exposure.

Good luck with your new hobby Hom3r. :tu:

Uncle Peter 20-01-2019 17:28

Don't forget to buy a decent tripod: Budget around £100-150 for a new one with the head although you can probably pick something up for less than 50 sheets on eBay.

You'll need it for shooting the moon with your long lens when you get it.

Try shooting the moon at F11 on aperture priority and bracket. If shooting manual 100-125th sec is usually ok.

Hom3r 20-01-2019 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35980114)
If you're totally new to photography then get some books. There's one for that camera in which you'll learn more within minutes than months of fiddling about.

I'm new to DSLR, I do know some basic stuff my dad's told me, he used to develop his own pictures.

I do have 2 books for my D5600, one is the dummies guide and the other is by David Busch both from amazon.

Taf 20-01-2019 20:09

2 Attachment(s)

Taf 20-01-2019 20:12

Blood moon eclipse tonight, 5am if you want to set an alarm.... and pray for no clouds...

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse

gba93 21-01-2019 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35980150)
Blood moon eclipse tonight, 5am if you want to set an alarm.... and pray for no clouds...

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/lunar-eclipse

No blood moon just bloody clouds &!=*%$# :mad:

Paul 21-01-2019 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35980094)
We have a thread for photo of the day

Doesnt look like its been used in a while, perhaps you can add to it. :)

Hom3r 21-01-2019 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35980192)
Doesnt look like its been used in a while, perhaps you can add to it. :)

I'll have to compress the 12meg JPG.

Or save a new JPG from the RAW file.