Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Millions to be affected by NHS plan to ration 34 everyday tests and treatments (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708449)

Maggy 30-11-2019 09:09

Millions to be affected by NHS plan to ration 34 everyday tests and treatments

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...CMP=GTUK_email

Quote:

The Guardian has seen a list of 34 diagnostic tests and treatments that in future patients in England will only be able to get in exceptional circumstances as part of a drive to save money and relieve the pressure on the NHS.
Quote:

The sweeping changes they are set to propose include many forms of surgery, as well as ways of detecting illness including CT and MRI scans, and blood tests, for cancer, arthritis, back problems, kidney stones, sinus infections and depression. Three of the procedures have since been dropped from the list.
Rationed NHS? Not what was envisioned by the originators of the NHS.

Mr K 30-11-2019 09:13

Re: Millions to be affected by NHS plan to ration 34 everyday tests and treatments

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36018707)

We can expect a lot more of that in future if we priotise tax cuts over investing in our health. You get what you vote for.

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 09:28

Re: Millions to be affected by NHS plan to ration 34 everyday tests and treatments

Good job that list came out before the GE.

nomadking 30-11-2019 09:34

Of course this sort of thing never happened before 2010.:rolleyes:

From Apr 2007
Quote:

Approaches to identifying both effective and cost-effective practices have become central to rationing decisions in the NHS. The establishment of the NICE, which produces guidance on what treatments should be provided by the NHS, represents the most visible approach to introducing economic considerations into these decisions.

Taf 30-11-2019 11:24

I have never been called for my 5 yearly Health MOT by our GP. This should include a PSA test for prostate cancer. He thinks it is "unnecessary" despite him being paid to provide the service.

Over the years GPs here have also withdrawn minor surgeries (splinter extraction, cysts drainage, etc.), wart and verruca treatments, lice and headlice treatments, ingrowing toenail treatment, podiatry for the disabled, old or infirm, etc. etc. And now there are no walk-in consultations, just an appointment system with no evening or weekend cover, and neither for 2 afternoons per week.

And now they want to opt-out of out-of-hours cover and most home visits, demanding "another body" be set up to do it all instead.

Ad yet I suspect their pay will not drop a penny....

jfman 30-11-2019 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018711)
Of course this sort of thing never happened before 2010.:rolleyes:

From Apr 2007

Can’t criticise the Tories without acknowledging that the same failures existed in New Labour!

nomadking 30-11-2019 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018730)
Can’t criticise the Tories without acknowledging that the same failures existed in New Labour!

Nothing to do with failures on either side. Nothing to do with tax cuts. Some of those things are likely to have been already restricted in certain health authorities, even before 2010. Eg The arthroscopic cleaning of arthritic knee mentioned in this list, has been found to not be effective and was restricted in certain(possibly all) regions.

Quote:

Arthroscopic debridement of the knee has thus far only been found to be effective for medial compartmental OA. All other indications should be reviewed with a view to reducing arthroscopic debridement as an effective therapy.
Arthroscopic lavage of the knee is not indicated for any stage of OA.
Quote:

Does knee arthroscopy have benefits?
The answer is fairly clear: Therapeutic arthroscopy has no benefits. In the studies, people who had arthroscopy had pain and other difficulties just as often afterwards as those who had not. One study assessed quality of life – that was also not improved by arthroscopy.
Although.
Quote:

There were also no differences between arthroscopy and other treatments such as hyaluronic acid injections, pain relieving medication, lavage or physiotherapy. Arthroscopy neither relieved pain nor any other knee problems better than other therapies. No difference was found between the groups in the two studies assessing quality of life either.

Angua 30-11-2019 12:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36018728)
I have never been called for my 5 yearly Health MOT by our GP. This should include a PSA test for prostate cancer. He thinks it is "unnecessary" despite him being paid to provide the service.

Over the years GPs here have also withdrawn minor surgeries (splinter extraction, cysts drainage, etc.), wart and verruca treatments, lice and headlice treatments, ingrowing toenail treatment, podiatry for the disabled, old or infirm, etc. etc. And now there are no walk-in consultations, just an appointment system with no evening or weekend cover, and neither for 2 afternoons per week.

And now they want to opt-out of out-of-hours cover and most home visits, demanding "another body" be set up to do it all instead.

Ad yet I suspect their pay will not drop a penny....

Blimey, even I get the bowel cancer screening now. Though Mr A gets annoyed by the reminders for his annual check-up, which he refuses as he is already getting these for other reasons.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36018708)
We can expect a lot more of that in future if we priotise tax cuts over investing in our health. You get what you vote for.

Thats the problem. Successive Governments seem absolutely terrified of direct taxation, even for a specific purpose.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36018737)
Blimey, even I get the bowel cancer screening now. Though Mr A gets annoyed by the reminders for his annual check-up, which he refuses as he is already getting these for other reasons.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

Thats the problem. Successive Governments seem absolutely terrified of direct taxation, even for a specific purpose.

Terrified because they know it's not what people want. If the electorate wanted it, they would get their wish.

Good luck with Jo Swinson's proposed tax increase. That should see her installed as our next Prime Minister! :D

jfman 30-11-2019 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018735)
Nothing to do with failures on either side. Nothing to do with tax cuts. Some of those things are likely to have been already restricted in certain health authorities, even before 2010. Eg The arthroscopic cleaning of arthritic knee mentioned in this list, has been found to not be effective and was restricted in certain(possibly all) regions.

Although.

It’s everything to do with tax cuts. The decisions of what we do (and don’t) fund are a direct result of tax revenues.

You appear to be clouding the matter by bringing in a separate matter on a point people would universally agree: there’s no point funding treatment doesn’t work. That’s of course different from the wider issue.

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018742)
Terrified because they know it's not what people want. If the electorate wanted it, they would get their wish.

Good luck with Jo Swinson's proposed tax increase. That should see her installed as our next Prime Minister! :D

“It’s not what people want” is a curious interpretation. You’re assuming people are well informed, and that politicians strive to inform them appropriately.

As I’ve pointed out before - after 40 years of the neo-liberal consensus we are £2 trillion in debt. Politicians were happy to peddle the low tax myth without spelling out to people that it wasn’t sustainable. People were happy to vote for it. Future generations will foot the bill.

Hugh 30-11-2019 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018742)

The electorate want the benefits without the cost, which is not possible in the real world.

They need to be educated in TANSTAAFL*

There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

jfman 30-11-2019 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018754)
The electorate want the benefits without the cost, which is not possible in the real world.

You can however borrow against your children’s future ability to find their lunch.

Hugh 30-11-2019 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018756)
You can however borrow against your children’s future ability to find their lunch.

I’d rather not, thanks all the same... ;)

Angua 30-11-2019 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018748)
It’s everything to do with tax cuts. The decisions of what we do (and don’t) fund are a direct result of tax revenues.

You appear to be clouding the matter by bringing in a separate matter on a point people would universally agree: there’s no point funding treatment doesn’t work. That’s of course different from the wider issue.

“It’s not what people want” is a curious interpretation. You’re assuming people are well informed, and that politicians strive to inform them appropriately.

As I’ve pointed out before - after 40 years of the neo-liberal consensus we are £2 trillion in debt. Politicians were happy to peddle the low tax myth without spelling out to people that it wasn’t sustainable. People were happy to vote for it. Future generations will foot the bill.

Council cuts are down to central government reducing how much they give councils. So they cut repairs to roads, library funding schools & support services, as they are stuck with looking after children in care and the elderly, because they have also been prevented from raising council tax. So people are spending more on car repairs needed due to poor roads, ends up being a false economy. The same applies to NHS funding, if people do not get the treatment they need in a timely manner, they lose their jobs through being unable to work, so more tax income is lost, whilst benefits go up.

People have been sold getting something for nothing. It cannot be sustained.

Sephiroth 30-11-2019 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36018761)
Council cuts are down to central government reducing how much they give councils. So they cut repairs to roads, library funding schools & support services, as they are stuck with looking after children in care and the elderly, because they have also been prevented from raising council tax. So people are spending more on car repairs needed due to poor roads, ends up being a false economy. The same applies to NHS funding, if people do not get the treatment they need in a timely manner, they lose their jobs through being unable to work, so more tax income is lost, whilst benefits go up.

How does the above sit with the reserves that Councils hold?

https://www.localgov.co.uk/Council-r...ast-year/48029

I suspect that the guvmin's squeeze will last until councils have committed reserves to what they claim they are starved of.

jfman 30-11-2019 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018762)

I suspect that the guvmin's squeeze will last until councils have committed reserves to what they claim they are starved of.

If you read the quote in the article it sums it up well.

'These figures show that councils are topping up their reserves where they can, reflecting the absence of a long-term funding settlement for the sector, continued uncertainty around the spending review and Fair Funding Review and an expectation that the long hard winter of austerity is set to continue,’

In other words - councils need to keep money aside because of the uncertainty of how much they will be given in future years.

The amount set aside would barely cover local government spending for three months. As the article also states - some of it is ring fenced so local authorities couldn't even spend it if they wanted to.

nomadking 30-11-2019 15:44

Quote:

If it was all about tax cuts and revenues, how come it was going on under Labour when they very good revenues and were borrowing massively on top of that?

The example I gave was simply one that I knew of from years back, The others may also have similar studies backing up these decisions.

The problem wasn't tax revenues, it was the various spending splurges, eg tax credit system. Local Housing Allowance(housing benefit).

jfman 30-11-2019 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018768)
If it was all about tax cuts and revenues, how come it was going on under Labour when they very good revenues and were borrowing massively on top of that?

The example I gave was simply one that I knew of from years back, The others may also have similar studies backing up these decisions.

The problem wasn't tax revenues, it was the various spending splurges, eg tax credit system. Local Housing Allowance(housing benefit).

And equally they may not. I’d prefer to hear from medical professionals and not armchair Conservatives.

Various spending not supported by tax revenue is exactly what I’m describing. The decision of what to, or not to, fund. Tax credits to support employers paying low wages and housing benefit to support the rental housing market are equally things I disagree with and part of the deception by politicians for 40 years that have left us £2 trillion in debt despite the windfalls of privatisation. New Labour are just as complicit as the Conservatives in this sleight of hand.

A fair living wage and building council houses is a much better approach.

Hugh 30-11-2019 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018762)

343 councils in the UK, and if you take out the GLA, their reserves are £1.1 billion, which works out (on average) as £3.2 million per council - not such a huge reserve (which they use to pay for stuff whilst waiting for Central Government money to arrive).

For instance, my local councile (Leeds, population of around 750k)

Quote:

Overall the council’s usable reserves have risen from £280m in 2017/18 to £312m in 2018/19, an increase of £32m. The majority of these £312m of useable reserves are ring
fenced (£252m) and are not available to support general expenditure. The main ring fenced reserves as at 31st March 2019 are:

o School based reserves £22m;
o Revenue and capital grants received in advance of planned expenditure £142m;
o Housing Revenue Account reserves £22m, statutorily ring fenced to the provision
of local authority housing;
o Major repairs reserve £24m, ring fenced to major repairs to council houses;
o Useable Capital Receipts reserve £42m, to finance capital expenditure, partly ring
fenced to council houses.

The remaining £59m of reserves is made up of the £28m General Fund reserve and
£31m of earmarked reserves.
They have to have some reserves, because, as we have found recently with floods, etc., "stuff happens"...

RichardCoulter 30-11-2019 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36018707)

And this is on top of the recent cutbacks of medication available on prescription. I now have to buy two of my medications myself.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 36018728)

And yet I suspect their pay will not drop a penny...

Isn't the NHS now primarily run by GP's? The same GP's who I am led to believe start on £1,000 a week, rising to at least £2,000 a week with many earning much more.

Yes, they do an essential job and have studied/worked hard to get where they are, but it sticks in my throat a bit to have these people on this sort of money telling me (and those much less able to afford it) that due to austerity they now have to purchase some of their own medicine.

I suspect them taking a 1% pay cut (small change to them after paying less tax/NI) would negate the need for these further cuts, but that's not going to happen is it.

denphone 30-11-2019 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36018789)
And this is on top of the recent cutbacks of medication available on prescription. I now have to buy two of my medications myself.

Isn't the NHS now primarily run by GP's? The same GP's who I am led to believe start on £1,000 a week, rising to at least £2,000 a week with many earning much more.

Yes, they do an essential job and have studied/worked hard to get where they are, but it sticks in my throat a bit to have these people on this sort of money telling me (and those much less able to afford it) that due to austerity they now have to purchase some of their own medicine.

I suspect them taking a 1% pay cut (small change to them after paying less tax/NI) would negate the need for these further cuts, but that's not going to happen is it.

Dcotors work very hard Richard and most have huge workloads as don't think its a bed of roses being a GP as it is far from that.

On the possible plans to ration services these are made by quite a few NHS bodies.

Quote:

The 50-page document is the result of months of detailed and until now secret discussions between four key medical and NHS bodies involved in the NHS’s evidence-based interventions programme, which aims to identify procedures that do not work.

Quote:

They are NHS England; the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AOMRC), which represents the UK’s 220,000 doctors professionally; NHS Clinical Commissioners, which speaks for GP-led clinical commissioning groups; and the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice), which advises the government and NHS which treatments are effective and represent value for money.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...and-treatments

jfman 30-11-2019 17:34

You heard it here first:

GPs to blame for austerity and if only they took a 1% pay cut we could solve it all.

There are around 33,000 GPs in England. A 1% pay cut would be less than £33,000,000. As you rightly point out, we claw back much of that in tax anyway.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 18:16

Quote:

It's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that people don't understand the issues. You are assuming that most of the electorate are a bunch of retards who can't make sensible decisions on what they want.

What is very clear is that most people do want tax cuts. They also want good quality services, and they expect the government to provide these efficiently. It is the latter that is causing the problems - too much bureaucracy and outdated, inefficient systems.

The fact that this seems to come as a surprise to you is telling.

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36018754)

I think it is perfectly reasonable for our electorate to demand efficiency before pushing ever increased shedloads of money into an expanding black hole.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36018761)

We are paying an absolute fortune into the NHS but service levels keep going down. Strange, that.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018765)
If you read the quote in the article it sums it up well.

'These figures show that councils are topping up their reserves where they can, reflecting the absence of a long-term funding settlement for the sector, continued uncertainty around the spending review and Fair Funding Review and an expectation that the long hard winter of austerity is set to continue,’

In other words - councils need to keep money aside because of the uncertainty of how much they will be given in future years.

The amount set aside would barely cover local government spending for three months. As the article also states - some of it is ring fenced so local authorities couldn't even spend it if they wanted to.

Pity the last Labour government didn't note that, jfman.

jfman 30-11-2019 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018799)
It's pretty arrogant of you to suggest that people don't understand the issues. You are assuming that most of the electorate are a bunch of retards who can't make sensible decisions on what they want.

I didn’t call anyone retards so there’s no need for such emotive terminology to be deployed.

I think it’s rather arrogant of anyone to claim they do understand all of the various issues in an election and I find it inherently improbable that the vast majority of people look beyond 2 or 3 issues. These could be local issues, constitutional issues, social issues.

Quote:

What is very clear is that most people do want tax cuts. They also want good quality services, and they expect the government to provide these efficiently. It is the latter that is causing the problems - too much bureaucracy and outdated, inefficient systems.
People do indeed want tax cuts. People do indeed want public services. Nobody has been honest for the last 40 years that you can’t have both.

Bureaucracy, outdated inefficient systems, is straightforward terminology deployed by those who want to privatise everything in the absence of any evidence that such inefficiency exists. If you compare, for example, administrative costs in the NHS as a proportion of all costs to the privatised US healthcare sector you will find the NHS spends a far lower proportion on administration.

The NHS can also use it’s purchasing power to drive down the price of drugs in a manner that smaller private companies cannot. As can be seen from the “concerns” the USA plan on bringing to the table in any future trade discussions.

Quote:

Telling of what exactly?

Quote:

I think it is perfectly reasonable for our electorate to demand efficiency before pushing ever increased shedloads of money into an expanding black hole.
A statement in the absence of any evidence at all.

Quote:

We are paying an absolute fortune into the NHS but service levels keep going down. Strange, that.
Probably the profits being creamed out of it from PFI initiatives, etc. People living longer. There’s no magic wand to that.

Quote:

Neither did their predecessors. 40 years of failure has led to £2 trillion of debt. Every year we have to shell out £40bn a year in interest payments on this debt. That strikes me as a fairly inefficient use of funds for the fifth richest country in the world.

£40bn of course that could go into the NHS, for example.

Angua 30-11-2019 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36018789)

To have that sort of income, they must have an overload of patients on their books per GP, which also means longer hours to get through the workload. GP income covers all the outgoings of a practice as well.

Only 10% of the population of England actually have to pay for prescriptions, maybe this needs looking at, particularly where cheap OTC medicines are concerned.

OLD BOY 30-11-2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018772)
And equally they may not. I’d prefer to hear from medical professionals and not armchair Conservatives.

Various spending not supported by tax revenue is exactly what I’m describing. The decision of what to, or not to, fund. Tax credits to support employers paying low wages and housing benefit to support the rental housing market are equally things I disagree with and part of the deception by politicians for 40 years that have left us £2 trillion in debt despite the windfalls of privatisation. New Labour are just as complicit as the Conservatives in this sleight of hand.

A fair living wage and building council houses is a much better approach.

If that is an excuse you have made up to excuse Labour for its gross overspending and failure to establish safe reserves of money or gold which led us into a situation where the UK had no money to offset the ravages of the global financial crisis, you are fooling no-one.

jfman 30-11-2019 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018812)
If that is an excuse you have made up to excuse Labour for its gross overspending and failure to establish safe reserves of money or gold which led us into a situation where the UK had no money to offset the ravages of the global financial crisis, you are fooling no-one.

You can count on one hand the number of times any Government has ran a budget surplus since 1979, and as a result the total debt has largely risen year on year in that time, outstripping inflation over that time.

It’s an outright, albeit convenient for you, lie to claim that this countries problems started with the 2008 financial crisis. The gold reserves, or lack of, are a complete red herring - the country was already heavily in debt and running a deficit. As it has been since 1979.

I note you didn’t address any of the other points I made in my fairly lengthy post instead focusing on a single sentence for a sound bite.

A poor response even by your own standards, Old Boy.

For information: the gold Brown sold was for $3.5bn, in 2007 it’d have been worth double. An absolute drop in the ocean compared to the £500bn rescue package the banks got for their failed ventures in capitalism.

richard s 02-12-2019 19:34

Just heard today on Radio Kent that the Medway area has the highest patient to Doctor ratio in the country (2900) to my Northern, Welsh, Scottish and N. Ireland friends this is supposed to be the affluent South that I come and live in....:shocked:

jfman 02-12-2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36018996)
Just heard today on Radio Kent that the Medway area has the highest patient to Doctor ratio in the country (2900) to my Northern, Welsh, Scottish and N. Ireland friends this is supposed to be the affluent South that I come and live in....:shocked:

So affluent even a Doctor can't afford to live there, and they're loaded!;)

Mr K 02-12-2019 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36018996)

Thing is, BoJo and millionaire inherited wealth chums can just buy their healthcare. The NHS is for the plebs as far as they are concerned. As Dominic Cummings admitted Tory MPs don't give a toss for the NHS or the poor.

denphone 02-12-2019 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36019003)
Thing is, BoJo and millionaire inherited wealth chums can just buy their healthcare. The NHS is for the plebs as far as they are concerned. As Dominic Cummings admitted Tory MPs don't give a toss for the NHS or the poor.

And no long waiting list for them either...

Angua 02-12-2019 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36018799)

---------- Post added at 18:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:08 ----------

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Instead the Tories will cut council funding, forcing councils to raise council tax.

People want to pay less for things they have to buy. This is where tax cuts are needed. Income tax is money people don't see in the first place, so raising it by just 1p will make very little difference to the pay packet. Council tax going up to pay for the Police and Social services is a far more visible rise.

Raising VAT also means people buy less.

The NHS is being underfunded, particularly as it is used as a dumping ground for elderly patients the Council care system cannot afford. If people want to keep the NHS they WILL have to pay more for it.

False accounting on claiming 50,000 New nurses is one proven lie. 40 new hospitals is another. Where is the money coming from for these claims? If they are not genuinely achievable in the first place, the cost is correspondingly negligible.

OLD BOY 03-12-2019 07:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36019018)
Instead the Tories will cut council funding, forcing councils to raise council tax.

People want to pay less for things they have to buy. This is where tax cuts are needed. Income tax is money people don't see in the first place, so raising it by just 1p will make very little difference to the pay packet. Council tax going up to pay for the Police and Social services is a far more visible rise.

Raising VAT also means people buy less.

The NHS is being underfunded, particularly as it is used as a dumping ground for elderly patients the Council care system cannot afford. If people want to keep the NHS they WILL have to pay more for it.

False accounting on claiming 50,000 New nurses is one proven lie. 40 new hospitals is another. Where is the money coming from for these claims? If they are not genuinely achievable in the first place, the cost is correspondingly negligible.

Clearly, you are not one of the 'many' who are struggling to pay their bills.

You cannot just ignore the fact that the NHS is woefully inefficient. Pouring shedloads of money into it for a worsenening service is not the answer.

Most people would agree that the NHS needs sufficient resources to enable it to run properly and provide a good service to its patients, but increased resources need to be conditional on increased efficiency.

Maggy 03-12-2019 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019026)

You cannot just ignore the fact that the NHS is woefully inefficient. Pouring shedloads of money into it for a worsenening service is not the answer.

Most people would agree that the NHS needs sufficient resources to enable it to run properly and provide a good service to its patients, but increased resources need to be conditional on increased efficiency.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the latter..It's a given in any part of any publicly funded and publicly run organisation.

Hugh 03-12-2019 09:30

Quote:

You may find this of interest.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...ue-nhs/summary

However, bear in mind the old Business Improvement mantra - "it’s hard to drain the swamp whilst you’re fighting off the alligators"; people expect the same people to undertake improvement work at the same time they are snowed under with their day job...

tweetiepooh 03-12-2019 11:24

All too true, we are expecting the hard working front line and technical staff to be more efficient and employ efficiency experts (consultants) usually at high wages to tell them how and make them fill out forms to prove how efficient they are and expect them to get more done in the reduced time they have left.

It's not helped though by the public (some of them) who abuse the system. Don't turn up for appointments, don't follow instructions and so on, let alone those trying to get support they aren't entitled to. If people used the system properly maybe the rules could be more simple and not need loads of investigations into abuse.

Angua 03-12-2019 17:28

Quote:

We live on my income and Mr A's small pension. We could claim benefits, but don't. We really are at the lower end of the tax paying spectrum, but live frugally and limit our outgoings. We don't even claim the married persons tax allowance as Mr A despairs of getting sense out of the government as they ask for P60 income and he has none.

The NHS is severely understaffed, this has a HUGE effect on costs. Nothing to do with efficiencies, you cannot get more out of a system that does not have the human resources to do the job in the first place. All you can do is hope the winter crisis is small and short lived, as there is no capacity for worse.

Leaving the EU has already lost us badly needed staff, who are going elsewhere in the EU for better pay and conditions. Removing the nursing bursary has cut the numbers going into the profession. Longer hours often with no pay, just because they care, is causing staff to leave or retire early. None of these have anything to do with "efficiencies".

Teaching the next generation of Doctors costs money and time. Time senior Doctors no longer have due to staff shortages and so the problem multiplies. All for what? Some mythical ideal, where stress no longer exists, with all the corresponding health problems vanishing. Get real.

OLD BOY 03-12-2019 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36019074)
We live on my income and Mr A's small pension. We could claim benefits, but don't. We really are at the lower end of the tax paying spectrum, but live frugally and limit our outgoings. We don't even claim the married persons tax allowance as Mr A despairs of getting sense out of the government as they ask for P60 income and he has none.

The NHS is severely understaffed, this has a HUGE effect on costs. Nothing to do with efficiencies, you cannot get more out of a system that does not have the human resources to do the job in the first place. All you can do is hope the winter crisis is small and short lived, as there is no capacity for worse.

Leaving the EU has already lost us badly needed staff, who are going elsewhere in the EU for better pay and conditions. Removing the nursing bursary has cut the numbers going into the profession. Longer hours often with no pay, just because they care, is causing staff to leave or retire early. None of these have anything to do with "efficiencies".

Teaching the next generation of Doctors costs money and time. Time senior Doctors no longer have due to staff shortages and so the problem multiplies. All for what? Some mythical ideal, where stress no longer exists, with all the corresponding health problems vanishing. Get real.

I think I should clarify that I don't think the efficiency problem is down to the medical staff. It's the bureaucracy and the clapped out systems that they have to live with that is the problem.

We should be looking at those issues, implement the changes required and with the savings, improve working hours for the medics to attract more to the profession. The hours they have to work are ridiculous - no wonder we can't get the staff.

denphone 03-12-2019 18:00

And when they tried to modernise their computer IT systems it was a clear and unmitigated disaster which the taxpayer had to foot the bill for.

jfman 03-12-2019 18:15

The NHS is ruthlessly efficient in actual fact. A far smaller proportion of money spent goes on administration by comparison to US private sector healthcare.

What Old Boy means is we can't cream off profits into tax havens. Which is good for me, the UK taxpayer and the recipients of healthcare.

Could the "many" struggling to go without afford private health insurance? Probably not if they can't pay their bills as it is.

Hugh 03-12-2019 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019077)
I think I should clarify that I don't think the efficiency problem is down to the medical staff. It's the bureaucracy and the clapped out systems that they have to live with that is the problem.

We should be looking at those issues, implement the changes required and with the savings, improve working hours for the medics to attract more to the profession. The hours they have to work are ridiculous - no wonder we can't get the staff.

And every time the myth of "too many managers in the NHS” comes up, I post this, but people still keep repeating the myth.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/project...s/nhs-managers
Quote:

How does this compare to other sectors?

According to the Office for National Statistics, the proportion of managers in the UK workforce as a whole in June 2010 was 15.4 per cent. These statistics also show that there were 77,000 hospital and health service managers across the United Kingdom, or 4.8 per cent of the NHS workforce. In other words, the NHS has a managerial workforce that is one-third the size of that across the economy as a whole...

... The NHS in England is a £100 billion-a-year-plus business. It sees 1 million patients every 36 hours, spending nearly £2 billion a week. Aside from the banks, the only companies with a larger turnover in the FTSE 100 are the two global oil giants Shell and BP. If the NHS were a country it would be around the thirtieth largest in the world.

If anything, our analysis seems to suggest that the NHS, particularly given the complexity of health care, is under- rather than over-managed.

jfman 03-12-2019 18:19

The average health insurance premium in the USA is $321 a month for individual coverage.

Hugh 03-12-2019 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019081)
The average health insurance premium in the USA is $321 a month for individual coverage.

And that doesn’t include co-pay and deductibles...

https://www.verywellhealth.com/deduc...erence-1738550
Quote:

Deductibles
A deductible is a fixed amount you pay each year before your health insurance kicks in fully. Once you’ve paid your deductible, your health plan begins to pick up its share of your health care bills. Here’s how it works.

Let's say your plan has a $2,000 deductible and counts all non-preventive services towards the deductible until it's met. You get the flu in January and see your doctor. After your health plan's negotiated discount, the doctor’s bill is $200. You are responsible for the entire bill since you haven’t paid your deductible yet this year. After paying the $200 doctor’s bill, you have $1,800 left to go on your yearly deductible.

In March, you fall and break your arm. The bill after your health plan's negotiated discount is $3,000. You pay $1,800 of that bill before you’ve met your yearly deductible of $2,000. Now, your health insurance kicks in and helps you pay the rest of the bill.

In April, you get your cast removed. The bill is $500. Since you’ve already met your deductible for the year, you don’t have to pay any more toward your deductible. Your health insurance pays its full share of this bill.

However, this doesn’t mean your health insurance will pay the entire bill and you won’t have to pay anything. Even though you’re done paying your deductible for the year, you may still owe a copayment or coinsurance, until you've met your plan's maximum out-of-pocket for the year (in most cases, coinsurance applies to services that would count towards the deductible if you hadn't already met it for the year)...

... Copayment
A copayment is a fixed amount you pay each time you get a particular type of healthcare service. Here’s how it works.

Let’s say your health insurance requires a copayment of $30 each time you see your primary care physician, $50 each time you see a specialist physician, and $20 each time you fill a generic prescription.

If you see your PCP on May 1, you pay the physician $30 that day. Your health plan picks up the rest of the bill for that visit. When you go back to your PCP on May 5, you have to pay another $30 copayment. Your health plan pays the rest of that bill, too.

Your PCP sends you to a specialist. When you see the specialist on May 12, you pay a $50 copayment to the specialist. Your health insurance pays the remainder of the specialist’s bill.

So if you have a $2,000 deductible in addition to various copays to see your primary care doctor or specialist or have a prescription filled, you'd have to meet your deductible for treatments other than those covered by copays.

denphone 03-12-2019 18:28

Quote:

A fair chunk out of ones salary.

jfman 03-12-2019 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36019083)
A fair chunk out of ones salary.

Especially if you are one of those struggling to make ends meet that Old Boy cares so much about.

Sephiroth 03-12-2019 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019085)
Especially if you are one of those struggling to make ends meet that Old Boy cares so much about.

What's that got to do with the UK NHS?

OLD BOY 03-12-2019 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019085)

Tax havens, health insurance schemes....where are you picking this up from? That's not what I am advocating. You've been hallucinating again, it seems.

There are plenty of inefficiences in the NHS, and anyone who has visited a hospital on a few occasions can see that. Huge paper files being carted about, hospitals in one area unable to communicate or access your papers from your surgery if it's in a different area, trolleys with nothing on them being pushed in one direction, then another, with no obvious purpose - the list is endless.

We can do better than this.

jfman 03-12-2019 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36019087)
What's that got to do with the UK NHS?

Private sector healthcare is a worldwide enterprise.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019089)
Tax havens, health insurance schemes....where are you picking this up from? That's not what I am advocating. You've been hallucinating again, it seems.

There are plenty of inefficiences in the NHS, and anyone who has visited a hospital on a few occasions can see that. Huge paper files being carted about, hospitals in one area unable to communicate or access your papers from your surgery if it's in a different area, trolleys with nothing on them being pushed in one direction, then another, with no obvious purpose - the list is endless.

Because something has no visible obvious purpose doesn’t mean it has none, as a lay casual observer with no medical expertise, no knowledge of the job roles, no knowledge of the internal workings of a hospital would surely agree?

We can do better I’m sure, which brings us back to the 2 trillion of debt accumulated from 40 years of neo-liberal capitalist failure. We lose £40bn a year in interest payments alone. Roughly one third of NHS expenditure in England.

Politicians have to be honest. Pay a few extra pence in tax, pay $321 a month in private heath insurance. Those are the options.

Hugh 03-12-2019 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019089)

We tried, and failed - too much internal politics (between areas and trusts), disagreement on standards (as local systems had grown/been developed organically to meet local needs), incessant change outwith agreed contractual change, lack of suitably skilled staff (legal, compliance, IT business analysis and development), lack of additional staff to undertake the workload of those seconded to the Change Programme, political interference at local and national level leading to more unplanned change.

For comparison, I have worked on migrating the data from current systems and implementing an SAP ERP system in a University, which covered Finance, HR, and Education (about half the systems in use in the University at that time, but the rest had to integrate with the S4/HANA) - that took 3 years and about £30 million.

The NHS, with multiple times the complexity and organisational change required (you don’t just implement IT systems, you have to analyse the business processes required to support and drive the business forward, amend the systems to reflect the business processes, then redesign and train colleagues to be able to use the systems whilst doing their day jobs), would take decades and 10s of billions of pounds - we don’t plan or invest that long term in this country.

There are in England:

207 clinical commissioning groups
135 acute non-specialist trusts (including 84 foundation trusts)
17 acute specialist trusts (including 16 foundation trusts)
54 mental health trusts (including 42 foundation trusts)
35 community providers (11 NHS trusts, 6 foundation trusts, 17 social enterprises and 1 limited company)
10 ambulance trusts (including 5 foundation trusts)
7,454 GP practices
853 for-profit and not-for-profit independent sector organisations, providing care to NHS patients from 7,331 locations

How do you gain agreement with all these groups on a standard way of doing things?

tl:dr - it’s not that simple or easy

Damien 03-12-2019 21:39

The fun thing is they'll probably have to something at some point, even if it's transitioning in a new system for new generations of patients whilst the rest of us use older systems.

Pierre 03-12-2019 21:47

Quote:

Kidney stones would no longer be removed in an operating theatre and instead would be treated with sound wave therapy to reduce the pain.
What’s wrong with that?

Quote:

It would also see patients told to use physiotherapy or painkillers to dull the pain of an arthritic knee rather than undergo an exploratory surgery
I would have always thought that surgery be the last resort anyway?

Quote:

similarly, in future adenoids would not be removed because evidence now shows that it “is not necessary, doesn’t work well and can cause problems like bleeding and infection”
Evidence is evidence.

I’m just going off the article but it seems from those examples to be completely rational.

Angua 04-12-2019 07:36

Quote:

30% of that goes towards administration costs. That is how inefficient the American system is.

Mr K 04-12-2019 07:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 36019154)
30% of that goes towards administration costs. That is how inefficient the American system is.

Oh it's very profitable for some, to whom we're an open goal if we're daft enough to elect Mr Blobby.

OLD BOY 04-12-2019 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019092)
Private sector healthcare is a worldwide enterprise.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

Because something has no visible obvious purpose doesn’t mean it has none, as a lay casual observer with no medical expertise, no knowledge of the job roles, no knowledge of the internal workings of a hospital would surely agree?

We can do better I’m sure, which brings us back to the 2 trillion of debt accumulated from 40 years of neo-liberal capitalist failure. We lose £40bn a year in interest payments alone. Roughly one third of NHS expenditure in England.

Politicians have to be honest. Pay a few extra pence in tax, pay $321 a month in private heath insurance. Those are the options.

You are re-writing history if you are trying to deny now the mess that Labour left behind when they lost power, and you are ascibing views to me and others that we do not have.

As far as the NHS is concerned, I would remind you that the Conservatives stripped a huge layer of management out of the NHS after they came to power in 2010 and nobody seems to have noticed! We have a way to go yet. Problems are not resolved just by throwing money at them and the measure of a well-run service is not how heavily they are sponsored by the State.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 ----------

Quote:

Who said we need to be like the US?

tweetiepooh 04-12-2019 10:07

Most systems are setup to protect the system whether that is private or public. Those running in ensure that they are looked after first.

So whatever and however it's funded the admin layers are protected and the front end both patient and practitioner are looked after only as it helps the admin layer.

I used to work in NHS IT at a specialist hospital. Was always annoyed that we updated our platforms to meet new requirement and others with big, paid for systems couldn't. Then we hear about how it's so hard to build a NHS network and me thinks that some of the issues need a firm hand rather than technical waffle. The NHS should specify the interface and suppliers/unit comply with that interface e.g. a query looks like this and you provide the answer like this - how you do that is then irrelevant.

The problems in other areas are similar, too much interference in the minutia. The NHS supplies standards/targets, units work to those however they want to. Being ridiculous, a national target to deal with farm incidents isn't needed for an inner city hospital but (if not careful) would still be a target needing budget set aside.

mrmistoffelees 04-12-2019 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36019173)
Most systems are setup to protect the system whether that is private or public. Those running in ensure that they are looked after first.

So whatever and however it's funded the admin layers are protected and the front end both patient and practitioner are looked after only as it helps the admin layer.

I used to work in NHS IT at a specialist hospital. Was always annoyed that we updated our platforms to meet new requirement and others with big, paid for systems couldn't. Then we hear about how it's so hard to build a NHS network and me thinks that some of the issues need a firm hand rather than technical waffle. The NHS should specify the interface and suppliers/unit comply with that interface e.g. a query looks like this and you provide the answer like this - how you do that is then irrelevant.

The problems in other areas are similar, too much interference in the minutia. The NHS supplies standards/targets, units work to those however they want to. Being ridiculous, a national target to deal with farm incidents isn't needed for an inner city hospital but (if not careful) would still be a target needing budget set aside.

I worked in NHS IT many many moons ago when The Spine , Choose and Book and ETP were trying to be implemented.

I used to see the clinical systems trainers coming back from training primary care (GP's) on C&B they would be distraught as many GP's surgeries would just completely ignore what they were being told to do or actively refuse to do it. and that was only IF they could get past the practice manager (who generally were incredibly obnoxious individuals who took every opportunity to block progress)

There was and to a degree still is a considerable disconnect between primary and secondary care services within the NHS.

Hugh 04-12-2019 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019165)
You are re-writing history if you are trying to deny now the mess that Labour left behind when they lost power, and you are ascibing views to me and others that we do not have.

As far as the NHS is concerned, I would remind you that the Conservatives stripped a huge layer of management out of the NHS after they came to power in 2010 and nobody seems to have noticed! We have a way to go yet. Problems are not resolved just by throwing money at them and the measure of a well-run service is not how heavily they are sponsored by the State.

That statement is factually incorrect - the numbers started going down in 2007.

Quote:

This attack on management and their poor handling of the NHS is a familiar refrain, with even the former Minister for Health Jeremy Hunt joining in by declaring: “We should today ask whether the NHS made a historic mistake in the 1980s by deliberately creating a manager class who were not clinicians.”

And successive governments have backed up their doubts about the value of managers. From 2007 to 2012 the average ratio of managers to staff in the NHS fell by nine per cent.

This is despite changes to NHS organisations, such as the shift to Foundation Trusts, which increases autonomy, responsibility and arguably demands more managers, not fewer. However, from the political left and right, both agree that there are too many managers in the NHS.

But our research debunks that myth, finding instead a strong statistical link between an increase in the number of managers and the performance of hospital trusts on a number of measures.

In fact, according to the data, the NHS would be wise to put aside a portion of the annual £20 billion to hire more managers, especially as the Government will apply five tests on plans to use the money, which are:

Improving productivity and efficiency
Eliminating provider deficits
Reducing unwarranted variation in the system so people get consistently high standards of care wherever they live
Getting much better at managing demand effectively
Making better use of capital investment
Meeting these tests will require good management, and that will probably require more managers, something the NHS is severely short of compared to other sectors.

In a highly complex organisation like the NHS - the fifth biggest organisation in the world - managers are needed to co-ordinate tasks to meet these Government tests.

Currently there are around 31,000 managers employed in the English NHS. About a third of those are ‘hybrids’ – doctors or nurses with a frontline position and a management role – while the rest are dedicated managers. But in an organisation of 1.36 million employees that amounts to less than three per cent of the workforce.

This contrasts with the UK economy as a whole, where managers make up 9.5 per cent of the workforce. It might be there are other roles that involve some sort of management, but such a disparity makes it hard to argue the NHS has too many managers.

Indeed, our research shows that more managers will help the NHS meet the Government’s tests, particularly around efficiency. With my colleagues Ali Altanlar and Gianluca Veronesi, we used data from 150 acute hospitals in England from 2007 to 2012 to find out what impact managers have on performance.

This study found that even a small increase in the proportion of managers (from two to three per cent of the workforce in an average hospital trust) could be significant.

Although having only a modest impact on patient satisfaction, larger numbers of managers resulted in a five per cent improvement in hospital efficiency and a 15 per cent reduction in infection rates.
https://www.wbs.ac.uk/news/how-many-...uk-s-nhs-need/

The clue's in the title - managers manage workloads and budgets, allowing the clinicians to focus on patients.

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

CF'ers may find this informative (it's from 8 years ago, and the reporting and funding have got even more complex since then).

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publica...rs-and-the-nhs
Quote:

For primary care trusts (PCTs), the recent Health Select Committee Report into Commissioning identified a continuing rise in administration costs dating from the purchaser-provider split in 1991 and was critical of the government's inability to supply 'clear and consistent data about transaction costs' relating to billing and commissioning.

The regulatory framework for health care in England has also become more complicated. A report in 2009 by the Provider Advisory Group, made up of NHS and independent sector providers, concluded that there was unnecessary duplication in the information NHS providers in England are required to submit to the 35 key regulators, auditors, inspectorates and accreditation agencies. Supplying this information has led to an increase in the number of non-clinical staff employed by the NHS.

jfman 04-12-2019 17:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36019165)

Anyone who cares to look back at the amount of debt, in real terms, will see it has risen for 40 years. It’s an absolute fallacy to blame the Labour Party for 40 years of flawed neo-liberal capitalism. Ten years on from New Labour there is still a defecit, and more debt than ever.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36019182)
That statement is factually incorrect - the numbers started going down in 2007.

Old Boy doesn’t care for facts. Merely obfuscation of reality to blame Labour for everything.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:

Profits creamed off, less spent on patient care. Glorious for shareholders I’m sure.

Angua 04-12-2019 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019201)
Anyone who cares to look back at the amount of debt, in real terms, will see it has risen for 40 years. It’s an absolute fallacy to blame the Labour Party for 40 years of flawed neo-liberal capitalism. Ten years on from New Labour there is still a defecit, and more debt than ever.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:46 ----------

Old Boy doesn’t care for facts. Merely obfuscation of reality to blame Labour for everything.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Profits creamed off, less spent on patient care. Glorious for shareholders I’m sure.

The profit for the Insurance companies, Hospitals and Doctors comes out of the 70%

OLD BOY 05-12-2019 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36019201)

You know very well that Gordon Brown wasted all our reserves. That was the reason we had a bigger problem than we would have had with the financial crisis. The debt has risen substantially since then due to the deficit, which had to be addressed at the same time.