Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   VM News Another Price Increase (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707827)

JPAC 01-07-2019 16:15

VM News Another Price Increase

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...one-customers/

copernob 01-07-2019 16:28

Re: VM News Another Price Increase

I said they would when they announced the 500Mb...I have had enough now. been with them for 26 years so might be time to say GoodBye Virgin.

P.S--What is this 'Talk Protected plans for over-65s ' I am 72 in September and not Ever Never heard of this plan.

denphone 01-07-2019 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 36001003)

Price increases are a yearly inevitability from "all providers"..

SnoopZ 01-07-2019 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001012)
Price increases are a yearly inevitability from "all providers"..

Correct, I really don't understand people here throwing their toys out the pram on a price rise when it happens years with all providers.

Ken W 01-07-2019 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by copernob (Post 36001008)
I said they would when they announced the 500Mb...I have had enough now. been with them for 26 years so might be time to say GoodBye Virgin.

P.S--What is this 'Talk Protected plans for over-65s ' I am 72 in September and not Ever Never heard of this plan.

I also have not heard about this Talk Protected for the over 65s and I am 76.

ecart 01-07-2019 17:20

Information here. https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...line-customers

nomadking 01-07-2019 17:25

Talk Protected
Quote:

Customers currently on Virgin Media’s phone-only plans who are over the age of 65, or have additional accessibility needs including hearing, sight, speech and mobility issues, will be upgraded to the new tier from January 2017.

RichardCoulter 01-07-2019 18:50

I think it's the fact that these increases are sometimes more than once a year and that they are now always above inflation that's getting to more and more people.

I'll wait and see if mine is the full £54 a year or less and decide what to do then.

Trekkie101 02-07-2019 00:15

To be honest, hope for the above inflation rise, cancel penalty free, join a new provider through Quidco and then wait till they do the same, bounce back.

The amount of cash back I've managed to get with this is staggering, quite excited to cycle again, Virgin cancelled by end of August, over to Three 4G HomeFi thing, very good speeds at home, followed by cycling when they usually do their thing in February.

I'm quite lucky I only use my Virgin package for data so its relatively easy to flick back and forth. It'll be my second rodeo with Virgin but it works quite well across the board.

Mr K 02-07-2019 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001014)
Correct, I really don't understand people here throwing their toys out the pram on a price rise when it happens years with all providers.

Curious why you always leap to the defence of inflation busting price rises? Are you VM in disguise? ;)

denphone 02-07-2019 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001053)
Curious why you always leap to the defence of inflation busting price rises? Are you VM in disguise? ;)

No one is leaping to the defence of any supplier as SnoopZ succinctly pointed out that "there are regular price rises yearly with all suppliers" Mr K.

Mr K 02-07-2019 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001056)
No one is leaping to the defence of any supplier as SnoopZ succinctly pointed out that "there are regular price rises yearly with all suppliers" Mr K.

Den old chap, do you know the difference between an inflation related rise and this one? And all the other similar inflation busting increases in recent years? What we have is a duopoly between Sky/VM. Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

Past experience has shown we need to be wary of the average price rise VM quote in their press releases (4.9%) in this case. Their calculations can be a mystery as many customers get a lot more.

SnoopZ 02-07-2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001053)

I'm not, you know full well we always get price rises but you always make it sound like the reason for the price rise is because they upped the broadband speed or added a few extra TV channels.... We have had years where we have had no speed increase and prices have still gone up....same goes for Sky BT etc etc.

But it doesn't matter what i say there will be always people that blame price rises on service changes, it happens with mobile contracts, utilities, everything.

I'm not defending at all i am as pissed off as anyone with prices rises, but what do i do, cancel the internet and TV and go back to normal TV? Change to another supplier like so many here threaten to do only for that other supplier to also do a yearly inflation busting price rise?

Mr K if you're not happy then cancel and i will be interested to see where you go. ;)

denphone 02-07-2019 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001058)
Den old chap, do you know the difference between an inflation related rise and this one? And all the other similar inflation busting increases in recent years? What we have is a duopoly between Sky/VM. Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

l know exactly what the difference is Mr K and the pure and simple question that faces each customer at the end of the day is if they don't find inflation busting price rises very agreeable "There is a whole big market of different suppliers out there other then VM or Sky to choose from if they are not happy at the end of the day with the price rises".

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 ----------

Quote:

Surprised this Govt. with all their talk of competition haven't broken it up. Doubtless there are some high profile interested parties.

There have been several competition enquiries in the past unless you did not notice that.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:

Past experience has shown we need to be wary of the average price rise VM quote in their press releases (4.9%) in this case. Their calculations can be a mystery as many customers get a lot more.

Just for balance Mr K there are those who might get a lesser price rise one suspects as well.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001062)

But it doesn't matter what i say there will be always people that blame price rises on service changes, it happens with mobile contracts, utilities, everything.

I'm not defending at all i am as pissed off as anyone with prices rises, but what do i do, cancel the internet and TV and go back to normal TV? Change to another supplier like so many here threaten to do only for that other supplier to also do a yearly inflation busting price rise?

Mr K if you're not happy then cancel and i will be interested to see where you go. ;)

Well summed up and l am sure Mr K will feel the same once he takes his anti-Virgin blinkers off.

SnoopZ 02-07-2019 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trekkie101 (Post 36001042)
To be honest, hope for the above inflation rise, cancel penalty free, join a new provider through Quidco and then wait till they do the same, bounce back.

The amount of cash back I've managed to get with this is staggering, quite excited to cycle again, Virgin cancelled by end of August, over to Three 4G HomeFi thing, very good speeds at home, followed by cycling when they usually do their thing in February.

I'm quite lucky I only use my Virgin package for data so its relatively easy to flick back and forth. It'll be my second rodeo with Virgin but it works quite well across the board.

That would be something to do but for me switching from VM to BT is rather difficult as i have never been connected via BT properly so could prove expensive, i also don't want to drop my internet speed down to 50Mbps.

tweetiepooh 02-07-2019 10:18

All very well talking about above inflation rises but if a supplier's costs are rising above inflation that has to go somewhere.

Mr K 02-07-2019 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001056)
Just for balance Mr K there are those who might get a lesser price rise one suspects as well.

Well don't recall anyone last time saying they'd got less than the 'average', which made it suspect ! We'll see....

denphone 02-07-2019 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36001070)
All very well talking about above inflation rises but if a supplier's costs are rising above inflation that has to go somewhere.

Exactly as companies can only soak up higher costs for so long.

Mr K 02-07-2019 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36001070)

How does line rental cost £19 a month on a cable laid over 20 years ago. How are the costs of it increasing? It just lies there. Money for old rope !

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

:p:
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001073)
Exactly as companies can only soak up higher costs for so long.

Don't worry about VM Den, they're doing all right, and more than just soaking up costs.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...media-revenue/

SnoopZ 02-07-2019 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001075)
How does line rental cost £19 a month on a cable laid over 20 years ago. How are the costs of it increasing? It just lies there. Money for old rope !

Honestly, it isn't just about the cost of the cable is it, thats obvious.

denphone 02-07-2019 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36001075)

Don't worry about VM Den, they're doing all right, and more than just soaking up costs.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...media-revenue/

Good try Mr K but adding 2 plus 2 to then make 4 is all fine and dandy but its not as simple as that.

TMLeafs 02-07-2019 12:47

In over 20 years of these price rises I have never paid it.
Companies know that 80% will do nothing, 5% will leave and 15% will phone and get a discount but in doing so will have a new 18 month contract.

Currently on VIP with Extra box £107.50

Got a email today saying £4.50 rise

My 12 month discount is up August 5th I will move my EE sim to virgin for the Ultimate Oomph Bundle if I can get it for under 115 pounds I will be happy though I expect to get it closer to 100

My parents have also never paid full price for VIP currently 106.50 for VIP with extra

hansi 03-07-2019 06:31

We're only talking £1 per week increase here. It's not worth the hassle of switching, getting all new equipment which may be inferior, and changing email address. Nightmare!. Better to stick with a system you know works.

Ken W 03-07-2019 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansi (Post 36001217)
We're only talking £1 per week increase here. It's not worth the hassle of switching, getting all new equipment which may be inferior, and changing email address. Nightmare!. Better to stick with a system you know works.

My increase is £3.10

japitts 03-07-2019 08:39

Quote:

Whilst I agree with your sentiment where a small increase is concerned, this is a very good argument for having a domain email address and not being tied to an ISP!

hansi 03-07-2019 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36001231)
My increase is £3.10

That's per month surely!

SnoopZ 03-07-2019 10:05

Quote:

Top tip.... never use an ISP email, use something like Gmail or Outlook, then if you do ever switch you won't have email problems.

Ken W 03-07-2019 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by hansi (Post 36001241)
That's per month surely!

That is per month.

hansi 03-07-2019 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36001289)
That is per month.

Mine was £4

copernob 03-07-2019 23:52

They do this each time they up the speed. Now get this--We All do NOT need 500mbs speed. I'm already paying £52 for phone & 300mbs and that is with a discount. I be buggered if I going to pay any more on my Pension. I'll either drop down or leave. I have had enough. So Please, No Excuses from you lot that can afford it.

RichardCoulter 04-07-2019 19:32

Premier Sports are also increasing their prices:

https://www.premiersports.com/arsenal-pre-season.html

Premier Sports is currently £9.99 per month on Sky, Virgin TV and the Premier Player. Please note if you are a Premier Sports Sky platform customer you can access the Premier Player for free.

From July 8th, the subscription price will increase to £11.99 monthly for new customers to Premier Sports on Sky or the Premier Player.

Reading this, it looks like Premier Sports won't be increasing for new customers on VM!? Is this correct?

denphone 04-07-2019 20:12

l can forsee see another Setanta Sports on the horizon..

nashville 05-07-2019 16:29

They should give the to all disabled people with packages too

richard s 06-07-2019 20:59

Virgin Media has become a rich persons service provider.... I will drop the phone and TV and see what they will charge just for 150 Mb which I am on.

RobboEdin 06-07-2019 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36001667)
Virgin Media has become a rich persons service provider.... I will drop the phone and TV and see what they will charge just for 150 Mb which I am on.

You won’t be able to stay on 150Mb. You’ll have to choose either 100 or 200.

Mullington 07-07-2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 36001018)
I also have not heard about this Talk Protected for the over 65s and I am 76.

My guess would be that this discount only applies to a very small percentage of VM's users. There can't be many phone only users on their books and why would anyone join VM just to use the phone?

Me and the wife are in our 70's too and my wife is disabled. However, we have a basic tv package and broadband too so we're not eligible for that "Talk Protected Scheme". I'd consider us "vulnerable" and reliant on the service, but that doesn't appear to be VM's definition if things. We've been on broadband since the Cable & Wireless days.

I've just had the "your bill is going up £3 per month on Sept 1st" email, but I frankly can't see any cheaper alternatives? We've basically lost the saving we made on paying our phone rental yearly, up front on this latest price increase.

daveeb 07-07-2019 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullington (Post 36001678)
My guess would be that this discount only applies to a very small percentage of VM's users. There can't be many phone only users on their books and why would anyone join VM just to use the phone?

Me and the wife are in our 70's too and my wife is disabled. However, we have a basic tv package and broadband too so we're not eligible for that "Talk Protected Scheme". I'd consider us "vulnerable" and reliant on the service, but that doesn't appear to be VM's definition if things. We've been on broadband since the Cable & Wireless days.

I've just had the "your bill is going up £3 per month on Sept 1st" email, but I frankly can't see any cheaper alternatives? We've basically lost the saving we made on paying our phone rental yearly, up front on this latest price increase.

It's an ongoing and relentless give with one hand take back with the other process. If i'd sucked up every price rise in the last 20+ years i've had cable services i'd be paying double what I am now. Up to now they've generally been quite receptive to modest discounts, i've never threatened to leave to get a deal, however from what others say retentions appears to have recently moved continents and are a lot less helpful. I guess i'll find out when I ring them.

SnoopZ 07-07-2019 12:32

What is stopping me leaving is the Internet i don't have any fast alternative, but then if i leave i have the costs of getting a BT line installed and paying for a Sky TV box so i may as well stay, if only other providers could provide services using the VM network.

daveeb 07-07-2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001698)
What is stopping me leaving is the Internet i don't have any fast alternative, but then if i leave i have the costs of getting a BT line installed and paying for a Sky TV box so i may as well stay, if only other providers could provide services using the VM network.

Snap, I'm so far from the exchange and even further from the cabinet. I did have Sky BB as a backup and it was awful, 3 meg on a really good day. Until Gigafast rolls into town (supposedly any day) I have no viable alternative.

denphone 07-07-2019 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36001700)
Snap, I'm so far from the exchange and even further from the cabinet. I did have Sky BB as a backup and it was awful, 3 meg on a really good day. Until Gigafast rolls into town (supposedly any day) I have no viable alternative.

My parents are even futher from the exchange and they don't even get 2 meg on a good day as using their broadband is a bit like going from a 5 star hotel to a dirt cheap B&B.

Mullington 07-07-2019 13:35

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I guess.

daveeb 07-07-2019 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36001701)
My parents are even futher from the exchange and they don't even get 2 meg on a good day as using their broadband is a bit like going from a 5 star hotel to a dirt cheap B&B.

Annoyingly my geographically nearest exchange is really close, i'm just not on it :rolleyes: I got rid of Sky last year, bit of a shame as their customer service was quite good. Who are your folks with Den ?

denphone 07-07-2019 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36001708)
Annoyingly my geographically nearest exchange is really close, i'm just not on it :rolleyes: I got rid of Sky last year, bit of a shame as their customer service was quite good. Who are your folks with Den ?

Sky.

djmagnifique 07-07-2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001698)

Why don't you just cancel the tv side? The new Sky boxes will work with a Virgin internet connection.

SnoopZ 07-07-2019 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36001757)
Why don't you just cancel the tv side? The new Sky boxes will work with a Virgin internet connection.

No point i only paying £76 a month on a deal for over 200mbit, phone and full house TV, anything else would work out more expensive, then there is the issue of having a dish on the house and buying a Sky box.

I'm actually happy with my services from VM and whenever i have priced up Sky it is always alot more £s.

gus0898uk 08-07-2019 00:22

£4 increase coming up for me if I don't do anything. I do need to have a closer look at my account details though as it says my plan is going up £4pm from September 1st, but I think my discount is due to finish in September as well.

Are retention's now based away from the UK?

OLD BOY 08-07-2019 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 36001757)

How is that a good option price wise? :confused:

gus0898uk 08-07-2019 23:38

I have just checked and my discount finishes in September, so my monthly fee is going up including the price rise from £77 to £82.
I have Full House TV (XL), Vivid 100 Broadband and Phone Talk more anytime.

We are both over 65 but do not really want to trim the package, are we paying too much because I understand we can cancel the contract because of the above average price increase.
TIA

SnoopZ 08-07-2019 23:45

You should phone detentions I am paying £76 for what you have but with Vivid 200, not sure when my deal runs out and haven't been notified of a price change yet.

Martin_D 09-07-2019 02:08

We are paying £65 for virgin plus if you add Netflix we are paying all in £73.99

Virgin TV V6 Box
Full House TV (Xl)
M350 Fibre Broadband
Talk More Anytime

Our virgin contact is up in October and the price is set to go upto £92.00 (not added the price increase to this as not had email yet)

looking at

Aquiss FTTP 67/16 for £34 - 12-month minimum term (£17.00 a month, for the first 3 months)
Sky Entertainment & Ultimate On Demand + Netflix For £25 - 18-month minimum term
sipgatebasic Calls to UK landlines and mobiles For £9.95 No minimum term

Total £68.95

muppetman11 09-07-2019 09:45

On the Aquiss website that packages is showing as £15 for 3 months then £30 for me.

SnoopZ 09-07-2019 10:18

I couldn't see myself ditching VM broadband and going back to 60ish.

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36001923)
On the Aquiss website that packages is showing as £15 for 3 months then £30 for me.

There are 3 options of pricing for the upload, option 1 is only Average Speed 1.7Mbps (Up).

muppetman11 09-07-2019 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001928)

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 ----------

There are 3 options of pricing for the upload, option 1 is only Average Speed 1.7Mbps (Up).

Ok thanks hadn't noticed that , it depends what you use the internet for I guess our 76/20 connection is more than enough for our households use , many times we'll have multiple TV's watching Netflix or Amazon UHD with someone using the web and never really had any issues. I have the option of 300mb + from several providers but don't think my current use warrants the extra outlay.

nashville 09-07-2019 14:27

No need for another increase, we pY enough

KillerCroc1 09-07-2019 14:37

just spoke with the retention team they said i can have £50 one off credit but will still get the increase :-(

oliver1948uk 09-07-2019 15:14

If VM don't care about you, why are they giving you a £50 one-off credit?

KillerCroc1 09-07-2019 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1948uk (Post 36001970)
If VM don't care about you, why are they giving you a £50 one-off credit?

i have issues with broadband they want me to pay for device support even though i don't need it but the £50 one off is good i didn't word my statement correct sorry about that

SnoopZ 09-07-2019 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 (Post 36001971)
i have issues with broadband they want me to pay for device support even though i don't need it but the £50 one off is good i didn't word my statement correct sorry about that

Kind of cancels out the price increase assuming this didn't start a new 12 month contract?

I've never heard of anyone having to pay VM for device support!

KillerCroc1 09-07-2019 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001986)
Kind of cancels out the price increase assuming this didn't start a new 12 month contract?

I've never heard of anyone having to pay VM for device support!

any time i have issues with broadband that they cant solve they want me to pay for device rescue even though my device is not the issue

Martin_D 09-07-2019 22:02

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36001928)

Yah I set my line to 60Mbps down & 16Mbps up for a week the big problem is the Xbox very slow to download.

So am looking at keeping Virgin BB & Phone I have moved TV over to sky

Attachment 27967

Horizon 10-07-2019 10:35

I know for most of us this is not a option yet, but fibre is being rolled out by Openreach and other companies directly into people's homes and that will give us more options in the future.

There will be the Sky IPTV service some time this year and no doubt, BT and perhaps others will follow soon afterwards. In effect, we should all end up with a choice of at least 3 "cable" companies to choose from.

KillerCroc1 10-07-2019 14:07

just called today about the price increase as really was not wanting to leave gave me the £50 one off credit said i would be signing a new contract but no need as im due to renegotiate a deal with them in july 2020 :-) im actually happy today the agent looked at everything i had and looked to see if it would be cheaper me switching down to 200 MBPS came back said more expensive im on a fantastic deal and the £50 plus my £8 credit is awesome :-) so nothing changes £8 credit in effect until july 2020 cant complain hopefully virgin can keep me for a third year ;-)

TMLeafs 10-07-2019 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36002057)
I know for most of us this is not a option yet, but fibre is being rolled out by Openreach and other companies directly into people's homes and that will give us more options in the future.

There will be the Sky IPTV service some time this year and no doubt, BT and perhaps others will follow soon afterwards. In effect, we should all end up with a choice of at least 3 "cable" companies to choose from.

Well BT Prices are just silly they can offer me 140meg for £54.99 a month for 18 months then £59.99 for just internet and phone.

I currently pay only £52.26 (47.26 after 18 months) more for

350meg + Phone
Full House TV which includes BT Sport
Sky Sports & Cinema
3 Tivo Boxes

BT + TV + BT (4k) & Sky Sports (HD) + Sky cinema + 1 extra box
Comes to 131.99 for the first 18 then £146.99

Yes, I have discount on my package but even at full price it's still cheaper and better value than Sky + BT can do only thing I want is Sky Sports in 4K but its not worth the added cost to do so.

daveeb 10-07-2019 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 (Post 36002080)
just called today about the price increase as really was not wanting to leave gave me the £50 one off credit said i would be signing a new contract but no need as im due to renegotiate a deal with them in july 2020 :-) im actually happy today the agent looked at everything i had and looked to see if it would be cheaper me switching down to 200 MBPS came back said more expensive im on a fantastic deal and the £50 plus my £8 credit is awesome :-) so nothing changes £8 credit in effect until july 2020 cant complain hopefully virgin can keep me for a third year ;-)

I'm curious did you get through to UK retentions and what time did you ring them ??

Pluto88888 10-07-2019 20:12

Glad I ditch these rip off moneyclowns.
I renewed my contract last Jan billed £22 for 100meg with phone line 3 months paying £27,£30,£36 and the last few months £39 no calls made on landline.

Told them to cancel everything now happy on three uk 4g unlimited mobile data paying £10 a month getting speeds 70mb.
Total cost on 4g unlimited £120 a year with £70 quidco cashback only paying £50 this year bargain.

Anyone looking for payandgo 4g unlimited sim deal go to smarty they do unlimited data for £18.75 a month.

KillerCroc1 10-07-2019 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36002102)
I'm curious did you get through to UK retentions and what time did you ring them ??

Call them around 2pm always get UK call center

daveeb 10-07-2019 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerCroc1 (Post 36002112)
Call them around 2pm always get UK call center

Thanks, i've always called them fairly early in the morning and never had a problem, but quite a few people have reported getting through to India in recent weeks.

SnoopZ 10-07-2019 22:30

I call them early morning and always get UK, to be honest i thought retentions are only
based in the UK?

daveeb 10-07-2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36002115)
I call them early morning and always get UK, to be honest i thought retentions are only
based in the UK?

There's a recent thread somewhere in which several people have reported getting a foreign CS when contacting retentions. I guess I'll find out soon.

Mr K 11-07-2019 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36002119)
There's a recent thread somewhere in which several people have reported getting a foreign CS when contacting retentions. I guess I'll find out soon.

I think they might have called outside of UK office hours.

alwaysabear 11-07-2019 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36002156)
I think they might have called outside of UK office hours.

I have called at different times recently, yesterday 9.10 am put through to India, yesterday afternoon 1.50pm India again. However, this morning at 8.45 am got straight through to Scotland (Customer relations)

2pence 11-07-2019 14:18

There's absolutely no other fibre supplier on my road with BT completely mumm on the issue for over 8 years and now my bill is going up with a huge increase of £3.5 extra from the already £51/mo... and that's just a broadband package.

I'm so angry.

BenMcr 11-07-2019 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pence (Post 36002163)
There's absolutely no other fibre supplier on my road with BT completely mumm on the issue for over 8 years and now my bill is going up with a huge increase of £3.5 extra from the already £51/mo... and that's just a broadband package.

I'm so angry.

So I've just done a quick comparison for my address where BT Fibre is available

BT Ultrafibre Plus which would give me a speed range of "137Mb - 138Mb" is £54.99 a month including the line rental.

After the 12 month new customer offers, Virgin M200 with a Phone Line is £54 a month and M100 with a Phone is £49 a month. M350 and Phone is £59 a month.

So the price difference between VM and other providers isn't always where you may think it is.

richard s 11-07-2019 19:58

Any one heard of TV Brite and does it really work as claimed.

https://tvbrite.co/

If it does I may as well invest in one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=tv+brit...sl_r28ot0x6b_b

jfman 11-07-2019 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 36002194)
Any one heard of TV Brite and does it really work as claimed.

https://tvbrite.co/

If it does I may as well invest in one.

You will be shocked to hear I'm sure, but the answer is no, it doesn't work as described.

muppetman11 11-07-2019 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36002164)
So I've just done a quick comparison for my address where BT Fibre is available

BT Ultrafibre Plus which would give me a speed range of "137Mb - 138Mb" is £54.99 a month including the line rental.

After the 12 month new customer offers, Virgin M200 with a Phone Line is £54 a month and M100 with a Phone is £49 a month. M350 and Phone is £59 a month.

So the price difference between VM and other providers isn't always where you may think it is.

To be fair a lot of the ISP's still aren't selling g.fast I'd imagine more will arrive soon I know Sky will be selling it before the end of the year and I'd expect Plusnet to also.

EE sell the service you have quoted for £42 a month.

Mr K 11-07-2019 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 36002160)
I have called at different times recently, yesterday 9.10 am put through to India, yesterday afternoon 1.50pm India again. However, this morning at 8.45 am got straight through to Scotland (Customer relations)

Are you just assuming overseas base on accent? The Scotsman might be in Mumbai and the Indian in Leicester ;)

daveeb 11-07-2019 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36002203)
Are you just assuming overseas base on accent? The Scotsman might be in Mumbai and the Indian in Leicester ;)

The accents certainly a guide (you can't be native to Wales or Scotland without one) but I think the clues are more with the robotic and inflexible responses.

wildfruit 12-07-2019 02:51

I had M350 and talk more anytime for the last 2 years for a flat £50. No increases. I’m sure there’s people out there that had similar even cheaper than that. It’s always worth a try to haggle. I know it’s boring but still worth it.

crossbow1956 12-07-2019 18:37

just phone ( CR ) said i was canceling my account got a £4.00 discount for 6 months i have 100mb & call weekend free phone all for £33.00 i will be calling again in December for another great deal i hope.

SnoopZ 12-07-2019 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow1956 (Post 36002280)
just phone ( CR ) said i was canceling my account got a £4.00 discount for 6 months i have 100mb & call weekend free phone all for £33.00 i will be calling again in December for another great deal i hope.

Via uswitch that costs £27, maybe new customer only though.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/sp...roadband+deals

RichardCoulter 13-07-2019 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36002218)
The accents certainly a guide (you can't be native to Wales or Scotland without one) but I think the clues are more with the robotic and inflexible responses.

Exactly, you'd get more sense out of an AI system.

I know many Asians and even those with an accent sound totally different to the staff at these overseas call centres.

southlad 14-07-2019 11:09

I didn’t receive a price rise email or letter, have they all gone out now?

Mr K 14-07-2019 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by southlad (Post 36002527)

Not had anything either.

SnoopZ 14-07-2019 12:16

Still don't have my increase email.

Carth 14-07-2019 13:18

I don't want my increase email. :D

jfman 14-07-2019 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36002552)
I don't want my increase email. :D

It's your free chance to negotiate :)

djmagnifique 14-07-2019 20:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by southlad (Post 36002527)

I haven't had one either, however I am currently in a contract that runs out 7th September. I currently pay £71.50 for Full House tv with 2 V6 boxes, 200mb and basic land line. It goes up to £81.50 from September as stated on the contract.

livelysprite 15-07-2019 11:50

Just got my price increase letter through the post. I think this is my last year with VM. I will be ditching my package (landline + broadband) next June. I will just get a good mobile phone and download anything I need such as youtube videos and then watch them on my desktop computer at home. I can get free wifi from my local council and university, although it will mean cycling 7 miles to get within range, still better than paying VM £40 a month.

SnoopZ 15-07-2019 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by livelysprite (Post 36002727)
Just got my price increase letter through the post. I think this is my last year with VM. I will be ditching my package (landline + broadband) next June. I will just get a good mobile phone and download anything I need such as youtube videos and then watch them on my desktop computer at home. I can get free wifi from my local council and university, although it will mean cycling 7 miles to get within range, still better than paying VM £40 a month.

Back to the dark ages then?

Why don't you just drop down to the minimum package?

livelysprite 15-07-2019 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmylong (Post 36002733)
Jesus just get a 4g router on amazon with a cheap payandgo unlimited sim deal from three UK or smarty uk.
That what I have done at my university apartment we are only paying £18.75 smarty unlimited data.

Thanks, will look into that.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36002730)
Back to the dark ages then?

Why don't you just drop down to the minimum package?

I'm on the lowest package. M50 fibre broadband and landline. I get a loyalty discount of £5 a month. So now on £37 a month and then add £2.50 price increase to that in September.

jfman 15-07-2019 13:30

Livelysprite get on the phone to them and threaten to cancel. Tell them you can get Vodafone superfast fibre broadband and landline for £27. Give your notice period and reject any offers in that call.

They'll phone back in 2-3 days with better offers.

livelysprite 15-07-2019 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36002742)
Livelysprite get on the phone to them and threaten to cancel. Tell them you can get Vodafone superfast fibre broadband and landline for £27. Give your notice period and reject any offers in that call.

They'll phone back in 2-3 days with better offers.

Thanks. If I'm correct, I'll be out of contract when they increase the prices in September and can phone them then.

jfman 15-07-2019 16:26

No worries. In some cases notification of the rise gives a time limited get out where you can threaten to cancel now. Not had my letter yet so don’t know if this applies.

RichardCoulter 18-07-2019 18:03

I received an email to say that my monthly bill would be increasing by £4 from September.

As I have just been given an extra discount of £5 off per month (removal of the TiVo fee), this would have almost wiped this out, so I gave them a call earlier.

I was told that the email that I received was generic and sent to everybody and that my bill would not be increasing!?

This doesn't sound correct to me because, AFAIK, the letters/emails are personalised to the services that a customer takes. She's put this on the notes in case it does increase.

Does anyone know if this is correct or not?

richard s 18-07-2019 19:39

I just like the advert on TV with the two guys (one in a disguise) in a dimly lit room... [I know you... you are an existing customer... why can't you treat us as the same as new customers... then they drag him away still in his chair.

It reminds of VM and some other companies that treat their loyal customers this way.

SnoopZ 18-07-2019 19:40

If it was sent to everyone I would have it to so it's obviously bollocks.

jfman 18-07-2019 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36003300)

Wouldn’t be too optimistic on that.

If it got sent to everyone the call centre would get swamped. ;)

daveeb 18-07-2019 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36003300)

Still waiting for mine but I'm in no doubt it will arrive soon !

Saint man 19-07-2019 17:43

Haven't posted in years but just had my increase email. Going up £4.48 for broadband only, a 12.7% increase, disgusting amount. Not sure what structure of increase they are using, is it just a random increase and no structure at all, surely this is too much, or have others been hit as hard?