Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Tezcatlipoca 23-02-2009 00:10

re: Rate the last movie you saw

0/10?!

I think you're being overly generous! ;)

Saaf_laandon_mo 23-02-2009 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34738663)
0/10?!

I think you're being overly generous! ;)

I am. I was so disappointed. It's the worst film I have seen for a very very very long time.

Tezcatlipoca 23-02-2009 00:18

Yup. It's awful, as is the first one.

I wish they'd done a movie adaptation of the *proper* AvP, i.e. based one on the Dark Horse Comics. That would have been so much better...

I love Aliens, Alien, & Predator, plus think that Alien 3 & Predator 2 are both pretty good.

Alien 4, however... crap.

And the AvP movies... even worse... :(

Saaf_laandon_mo 24-02-2009 00:34

Alien 3 was my favourite Alien film , and Predator is one of my fave films of all time. I will have to check out the Dark Horse comics, I only thought they got the two together just for the big screen. I didn't realise there were comics too.

Tezcatlipoca 24-02-2009 21:23

Yeah. The "Aliens vs Predator" comics came first, & were much better than the awful movies.

There were also some "Aliens" comics, which were very good too. Would've made much better sequels than "Resurrection".

Tezcatlipoca 01-03-2009 20:43

JCVD

Jean-Claude Van Damme plays... "Jean-Claude Van Damme", a has-been action movie star, who returns home to Brussels after a custody hearing in the US, & gets caught up in a post-office heist...

Well, well, well... Van Damme can act!

Great film, shows that JCVD can act & can also take the mickey out of himself. The film also has a few little digs at Seagal & John Woo, lol.

Worth watching :tu:

Russ 01-03-2009 20:48

Loose Change - The Final Cut

My mate brought this DVD around the other day and only now got around to watching it. Most people have seen the original low budget version which was shot to peices for being very inaccurate and having too much conjecture. So Dylan Avery went away, did more research and brought out an updated version. Which was also full of inaccuracies and conjecture.

(Russ now starts to sound like the guy who built a castle on the swamp in the Holy Grail)

But the third version of the film had a much higher budget and concentrates on facts and reliable witness accounts.

I'm no conspiracy buff and I still think 9/11 was a terrorist attack but after watching Loose Change The Final Cut I'm convinced the american government knows more than it's telling.

8/10

Peter_ 01-03-2009 20:53

Underworld rise of the lycans minus 25 out of 10 absolutely dire and makes the previous 2 movies look like they were oscar material, Bill Nighy should know better than to be involved with such rubbish.

Fatec 01-03-2009 20:55

La Femme Nikita

7/10

Remember watching this a few years ago with the english dub, finally getting to watch it on bluray and in its original language was much better, plenty of action.

Opium And The Kung Fu Master

4/10

Really not a shaw brothers fan at all, was nice to see an old skull martial arts movie on bluray though, really nice PQ too.

Tezcatlipoca 01-03-2009 20:55

Yeah, I liked Underworld 1 & 2, but RotL was ultimately rather pointless IMO.

Saaf_laandon_mo 03-03-2009 13:45

Cloverfield..... I thought this was pretty good. 8 out of 10.

Russ 03-03-2009 14:31

Did you spot the object in the background falling in to the sea in the last few frames?

ZrByte 03-03-2009 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34744198)
Did you spot the object in the background falling in to the sea in the last few frames?

I heard about this but I just can't see it.

Peter_ 03-03-2009 19:46

Quote:

I thought it was the director having a dump considering how bad Cloverfield was:D and I saw it in a cinema.

xocemp 03-03-2009 20:24

Valkyrie 4/10.. it was terrible. Not even a poor attempt at a German accent, Tom Truise being Tom Cruise. hi, I'm tom cruise the nazi now wheres my f-14 tomcat and iceman?
Stauffenberg was much better.

zing_deleted 03-03-2009 20:29

none of them had accents that was how they did it. WHat you linked to was just a documentary. Would you not also complain if they had german accents but spoke English ? like they did that ;)

Russ 03-03-2009 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 34744396)
I heard about this but I just can't see it.

It takes a few goes to spot it but once you do you see it each time, it hits the water a few 'millimeters' below the horizon and comes from an almost vertical drop.

Tezcatlipoca 03-03-2009 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34744440)
none of them had accents that was how they did it. WHat you linked to was just a documentary. Would you not also complain if they had german accents but spoke English ? like they did that ;)

I think they should have used 'Allo 'Allo style accents, to be properly authentic.

zing_deleted 03-03-2009 20:57

The movie started in German and then phased into English I found it quite adequate and really enjoyed the movie :) . I would certainly have rather seen Daniel Craig in Defiance speak as himself than his epic fail of keeping an accent but that did not spoil the film for me and found that excellent

xocemp 03-03-2009 21:04

Which would mean we are all entitled to our opinion and though mine differs from yours I'll resist the temptation to retort. Each to their own as is said. :)

Saaf_laandon_mo 04-03-2009 18:09

Quote:

didnt it end with them under the bridge? And it all went dark?

Fatec 04-03-2009 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34744165)
Cloverfield..... I thought this was pretty good. 8 out of 10.

Am i the only one who felt physically sick watching that?

Soo many fast/blurry camera movements.

Russ 04-03-2009 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34744988)
didnt it end with them under the bridge? And it all went dark?

Nooo! A few moments after that it cut back to the video the recorded over of the 2 of them six weeks earlier on a giant wheel in a fairground. The camera points out to sea for a few seconds and you see something hit the water.

This suggests that the monster was an alien and that's when it came to Earth.

Tezcatlipoca 04-03-2009 22:12

That was meant to be a falling satellite, not the monster.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The film cuts to Rob and Beth's Coney Island date many days before they meet again at the start of the party where in the background an Tagruato satellite can be seen falling from the sky and landing in the ocean.

(snip)

Viral tie-ins

As part of the viral marketing campaign, the drink Slusho! has served as a tie-in. The drink had already appeared in producer Abrams' previous creation, the TV series Alias.[39] Viral websites for Slusho! and a Japanese drilling company named Tagruato (タグルアト ,Taguruato?) were launched to add to the mythology of Cloverfield. A building bearing the company logo for Tagruato can also be seen in the TV spot of the eleventh Star Trek film, another Abrams production.[5] When Cloverfield was hosted at Comic-Con 2007, gray Slusho! T-shirts were distributed to attendees.[40] Fans who had registered at the Slusho! website for Cloverfield received e-mails of fictional sonar images before the film's release that showed a deep-sea creature heading toward Manhattan.

Satellite crashes > disturbs deep sea monster. Something like that...

Saaf_laandon_mo 05-03-2009 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34745232)
That was meant to be a falling satellite, not the monster.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Satellite crashes > disturbs deep sea monster. Something like that...

Yep, I spoke to my wife last night, she had spent a while during the day on the net investigating the object. The opinion she got too was that it was the satellite hitting the sea, and causing the monster to wake up.

She also mentioned directions the prequel/sequel will take. One theme would be events leading to the crashing of the satellite, another the attack from the viewpoint of the army, and how they battled it.

Russ 05-03-2009 18:33

Gran Turino - 8/10

CF's resident anti-immigrant gang really need to see this film...

kingbuxton 06-03-2009 21:58

Watchmen - loved it - 9/10

Tezcatlipoca 07-03-2009 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuxton (Post 34746596)

Ditto.

Awesome - especially Rorschach.

9/10 from me too.

ZrByte 07-03-2009 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34747160)
Ditto.

Awesome - especially Rorschach.

9/10 from me too.

Loved it too though I would go as far as 10/10.

Rorschach was amazing though I thought he looked pants in all of the trailers I have seen leading upto the movie.

Stephen 07-03-2009 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbuxton (Post 34746596)

Same here although I am edging towards a 9.5/10

Can't wait for the extended edition Blu-Ray release which will be about 3.5 hours with extra footage and the Tales of the Black Freighter added in.

Then it will be a perfect 10.

Also Malin Akerman :romance:

Hugh 07-03-2009 23:21

9.5 out of 10.

When the extended edition comes, out 11/10 probably.

Tezcatlipoca 08-03-2009 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 34747200)
Rorschach was amazing though I thought he looked pants in all of the trailers I have seen leading upto the movie.

"...I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me!"

---------

The Extended Edition should be even better :D

Saaf_laandon_mo 08-03-2009 08:30

My sis in law and her husband went to see watchmen in the waterloo imax and said it was rubbish. I have yet to see it but everything i've read so far says its a very good film. It's interesting how people can see the same movie in a totally different light.

Hugh 08-03-2009 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34747299)
My sis in law and her husband went to see watchmen in the waterloo imax and said it was rubbish. I have yet to see it but everything i've read so far says its a very good film. It's interesting how people can see the same movie in a totally different light.

If people are expecting a simplistic blockbuster (which I enjoy), they are (imho) going to be disappointed - it is a complex, often confusing film (cleared up at the end), with no simple black/white good/bad guys, no easy "they all lived happily ever after", going much further than ethical shadings in the latest Batman film.

I loved it, much as I loved the graphic novel.

Russ 09-03-2009 09:42

24 Hour Party People - 9/10

Awesome film. I love the way they mixed in cameos with the storylines of the people they were playing. A brilliant reminder of the whole Madchester days, we'll never see another musical era like it.

SOSAGES 11-03-2009 11:09

the director of watchmen has been one of my favs since the dawn of dead remake ...

zing_deleted 11-03-2009 13:14

just watched FarCry the movie. Its a B movie so do not expect miricles but tbh it wasnt to bad at all 6/10 because I knew it wasnt gonna be an epic but it surprised me a little

broadbandking 11-03-2009 14:09

Role Models 8/10 funny but not what I throught it was about

kingbuxton 14-03-2009 22:26

The Unborn 2/10 - utter crap.

If you haven't seen it, it might creep into a 5/10 - but I saw the trailer and 95% of what is good in the film is in the trailer.

Bunch of Woody Allen stuff.....

Vicky Christina Barcelona - 7/10 - pretty good, dunno why.

Interiors - 8/10 - ending is a bit depressing.

Scoop - 9/10 - Loved it.

And........

The Duchess - 8/10 - I kinda like this type of thing.

Hulk - 8/10 - MILES better than that other thing they made.

Friday 13th - 0/10 - Lord above, why? This is why downloading SHOULD be legal, DO NOT waste a penny on it, it is terrible, I managed 40mins and stopped it, utter crap! If you like yer women to be "You Know" Air Heads your blokes to be techno geeks and your token black guy to have a GIGANTIC racist chip on his shoulder, this IS the film for you.

btw original Friday 13th is a 9/10 (BIG Horror Fan)

pedantic 14-03-2009 23:19

Taken

Don't mess with Liam Neeson, awesome fight scenes...loved it. 9/10 :tu:

Kymmy 15-03-2009 09:19

How to Lose Friends & Alienate People
8/10 - some good laughs and a went to a few places I didn't expect the storyline to follow..Also nice to see some old stars in it..

Watchmen
9/10 - Just let down by one or two poorish characters....as people say though Jackie Earle Haley's character was the star of the show...

Bolt
7/10 - Pity all three supporting characters (Penny Mittens and especially Rhino) were in a different league to a very dissapointing Bolt

zing_deleted 15-03-2009 09:23

Kymmy did you catch Bolt in 3d?

alferret 15-03-2009 09:48

Quarantine 7/10 Scared my wife in a few scenes, just another zombie'esque film with some reasonable special effects. Worth watching if you got a spare 90mins to fill.

Kymmy 15-03-2009 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34753258)
Kymmy did you catch Bolt in 3d?

Nope, and yes I agree it would have made the special effects better, but still wouldn;t have changed the main character..

Tezcatlipoca 15-03-2009 20:37

Fargo

9/10. Great stuff.

Saaf_laandon_mo 16-03-2009 00:20

First Blood - In my opinion Stallone's best film. 9 out of 10 for me.

moaningmags 16-03-2009 00:41

Watchmen - 5/10 I actually fell asleep part way through this, for me it was a letdown.

Gran Torino - 9/10 Very surprising film

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans - 7/10 Enjoyed it, but kinda knew the ending.

cimt 16-03-2009 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 34753281)
Quarantine 7/10 Scared my wife in a few scenes, just another zombie'esque film with some reasonable special effects. Worth watching if you got a spare 90mins to fill.

Have you saw the original? It's in Spanish and I think it's better than the American version. It may be a scene for scene remake, but REC is a lot better than Quarantine.

Russ 16-03-2009 17:20

The Wrestler - 9/10.

Very accurate depiction of the business, not too happy with it giving away how shows are put together but still a very good film and very realistic.

dilli-theclaw 17-03-2009 12:51

The Meaning of Life (Old I know but I've never seen it before).

Um. All I can say is...

WHAT THE SMEG :)

Score... Well I'll have to get back to you on that I'm going to watch it again to see if it makes any more sense.

zing_deleted 17-03-2009 14:07

Hope you didnt have the salmon mousse lol

chris9991 21-03-2009 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by moaningmags (Post 34754106)

Gran Torino - 9/10 Very surprising film

+ 1 - a movie that seemed to whizz by

Bronson - 7/10 - has its moments but really a sad story

Peter_ 21-03-2009 22:13

Female Agents 8/10 A true story of French women SOE members in WWII

CycoSymz 23-03-2009 18:47

The 51st state - 9/10

Russ 23-03-2009 19:52

Eagle Eye - 7/10. Very much like Enemy of the State.

Kymmy 23-03-2009 20:43

Gran torino - 9/10
Pity it's probably the last great Clint Eastwood film he'll make

Valkyrie - 9/10
About time they made a historical film that actually followed the original plot ;)

iFrankie 24-03-2009 16:35

i watched twilight last night and im gonna give it a 10/10 its just amazing! i also watch the boy with the striped pajamas ill give that 9/10 such a sad film

zing_deleted 26-03-2009 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34761228)
i watched twilight last night and im gonna give it a 10/10 its just amazing! i also watch the boy with the striped pajamas ill give that 9/10 such a sad film

are you female????

Russ 26-03-2009 20:36

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - 7/10

Pretty standard 'quirky/nerdy Brit in America' stuff.

Stephen 27-03-2009 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34761228)

I'll agree with Boy in the striped pajamas being a great film but Twilight was terrible!!

Even my female friend that watched it with me thought it was boring and rather rubbish would only give it 1/10

Damien 27-03-2009 20:02

W. 5/10

Poor and disappointing. It never went anywhere and just seemed to be a rambling historical biography, no pace, no point, no decent conclusion.

budwieser 27-03-2009 22:28

Knowing. Thought it was really good.
If you liked the day the earth stood still you`ll like this.
It`s a bit of a modern day bible story i suppose. 8/10.

Anonymouse 28-03-2009 00:19

The Dark Knight, albeit via DVD. Heath Ledger was indeed superb, playing the Joker as he should be played, i.e. totally off the rails, a mind running like a fully-loaded bullet train with absolutely no brakes yet you can't be sure he's actually insane and not just unspeakably evil. The 60s version was fun, but I really wish someone would reimagine the whole series as Bob Kane originally wrote it, as Christopher Nolan did for this film.

One touch I wasn't keen on, though, was the idea of Batman taking on murder raps - okay, they couldn't sully Dent's memory and all, but still. Except for the very earliest strips (later retconned, I think), Batman's one inflexible rule was: I Do Not Carry Weapons Or Kill People. Ever. In fact, the first episode of the (excellent) animated series Batman of the Future hammered this home by showing in prologue why the original Batman retired: during a fight he forgot himself for a moment and picked up a gun. On realising this, he said "Never again" and quit that very night, thus setting the stage for young Terry McGinnis to step in 20 years later...by which time Gotham had pretty much gone to hell.

Actually, doing that as a live-action series wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mick 28-03-2009 14:12

Knowing. 8/10 It would have got a 10 - just that there are some aspects within the film that are not explained.

chris9991 28-03-2009 17:04

The Damned United 8/10

Fairly good football film; possibly the best ever football film

Knowing 7/10

Not too bad a movie; very dramatic with big set pieces. Certainly agree that it has similarities with the remade Day the Earth Stood Still and the 1950s version of The War of the Worlds

kingbuxton 28-03-2009 22:16

Quote:

Heath Ledger was indeed superb, playing the Joker as he should be played
Trouble I had with that is that nobody has seen "Lords Of Dogtown" his Joker is just Skip mixed with Nicholsons Joker. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, and he is good in it, but the fact he died sealed the deal with that film. Great film, I will buy it, still overated though.

The Cotton Club, I liked it, flawed I guess and not exactly historically accurate, but got a lot going for it, looks and sounds amazing. Oh, and Diane Lane is basically perfect. 7/10

Stoned, had it ages, not watched it in a while. Again, not sure how accurate it is, absolutely love it. 8/10

Russ 02-04-2009 18:59

The Damned United - 6/10

Bit of a disappointment as it didn't really go anywhere. I'd have preferred it if they'd done a biopic on Clough's life, not just over a 5 year period.

Saying that though, yet again Sheen was excellent.

cimt 02-04-2009 19:23

5 years? I thought it was over 2 months?

Russ 02-04-2009 19:25

About 3 quarters of it was based on his 44 days at Leeds but it kept going back to his time at Derby in 1969 to explain his hatred of Don Revie.

CycoSymz 03-04-2009 18:05

American Hardcore - 9/10 Really liked this documentary about the 80's hardcore punk scene, it gave a great insight into some of my favourite bands.

Chris 03-04-2009 18:20

Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

It starts out promising enough. The premise is that a little girl in the 1950s wrote out a string of apparently random numbers for a school art project, then in the present day the paper comes into the possession of an MIT professor (Nicholas Cage) who deduces that the numbers were actually a prediction of 'every major disaster' from then until now. But there's a twist - the last three predictions in the string are in the immediate future. So Cage sets out to see if he can affect their outcomes.

Up to that point, it's really good. The tension builds nicely and there's a plane crash that deserves an award for use of CGI. Mind you that's balanced out by a pretty ropey train wreck about 20 minutes later.

Unfortunately the plot really goes off the rails, as a gang of mysterious blokes who look like they styled themselves after an albino Danish boy band start showing up and hassling Cage's young son. Then shiny black stones start appearing all over the place. Then, half an hour from the end, the screenwriter completely throws the towel in as the story turns into a bizarre homage to Close Encounters of the Third Kind (except not nearly so well done).

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.

SB_07 04-04-2009 02:05

Stepbrothers: Love watching a mindless type of comedy film now and then and this is def one of those.

7/10

Hugh 04-04-2009 11:51

Quantum of Solace - 7/10

sir_drinks_alot 05-04-2009 07:51

No Country for Old Men -gold star

Very good movie it's kept simple through out with the story that gose a long at a nice pace with Out the need to go all silly in the last half hour. just to fit in a ending to the film that would have Ruined the whole thing
The end to my mind is one of the best i've seen in a long time.

alferret 05-04-2009 17:45

FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.

Stuart 05-04-2009 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 34769267)
FarCry 3\10 expected much more from Uwe Boll.

Why? From what I have read he hasn't made a good film yet.. I will state that I have never seen one, so can't comment on whether I would have liked them.

Anyhow: Watched Knowing with Nicholas Cage tonight. The good points are that it has a good (if predictable) storyline, is fairly well written, has good special effects, and Rose Byrne (as ever) looks pretty and acts well.

For most of it, the film is a fairly good combination of a thriller, disaster movie and horror. It does get a little schmaltzy toward the end though.

One thing that surprised me: Nicholas Cage is normally a good actor, but although he plays this part well, his character is a little to close to being the cliched hollywood single father who is still dealing with the grief caused by the death of his wife. In other word, he played the part well, but the part is a carbon copy of any one of a number of hollywood characters, including some played by Cage himself.

6/10. It would probably be an 8 if Cage's character hadn't reminded me of several characters from other films.

ZrByte 06-04-2009 10:07

Monsters Vs Aliens 3D - Its not the best dreamworks animated movie I have seen by a long way in terms of humour, shrek, over the hedge etc are a lot funnier but it was still very funny and the 3D was amazing, would have to give it about 8/10 for the 3D version though I think in 2D it would be a little less special so would only get about 6/10.

superbiatch 06-04-2009 12:10

National Treasure - 9/10, really liked this film, its kind of like an adult Jumanji :D - can't believe it was released in 2004 and I've only just seen it

Quantum of Solace - 6/10, hmm this was ok but not enough gadgets for me. Also, i was quite suprised to see Bond only bed one girl in the whole film :dozey:

Stephen 06-04-2009 13:19

Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's :)

SB_07 08-04-2009 01:01

Wanted - 7/10

Alot of over the top bits but a great action film.

Saaf_laandon_mo 09-04-2009 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 34769786)
Monsters Vs Aliens - 7/10 Great film although not as funny as I thought and in 3D it was really good.

The Boat that Rocked - 8/10 another great British movie, with an amazing soundtrack thanks to the 1960's :)

Would a 4 and a half year old girl appreciate monsters versus aliens? Thinking of taking the little one to see this over the weekend in 3d.

Finally saw REC yesterday (spanish subtitled film) - Not seen Quarantine so can't compare the 2, but I did think REC was a very good film until the very end. Although not really sure how they could have ended it.

I'll give it 8 out of 10

zing_deleted 09-04-2009 13:37

I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?

Saaf_laandon_mo 09-04-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34772059)
I think she would
Me and Bethia went yesterday and it was very good. Do you think she will handle wearing the glasses?

The glasses are my main concern, but we have been to the British Science museum and seen some of their 3d offerings in their cinema, in glasses which she's been ok with.

xocemp 10-04-2009 16:49

X-Men Origins Wolverine. 10/10 action packed and had a nice twist or two in the story.

Errm I managed to get a free copy with a linux ISO I downloaded :erm:
Don't know how that happend but *shrugs* :D

Tezcatlipoca 10-04-2009 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34768051)
Knowing: 4/10. More holes than a swiss cheese.

(snip)

Ultimately the film's conclusion is very dissatisfying not because that mysterious page of numbers isn't fully explained, but because the conclusion renders them completely irrelevant. It's almost like two entirely different stories glued together. A real pity.

That was pretty much my view too...

Also seen:

Get Smart - Not overly funny, but still enjoyable nonsense.

Eagle Eye - Ridiculous, but good fun if you just sit back & enjoy the ride.

Burn After Reading - Very good, & nice to see the Coen Brothers do black comedy again after the rather more serious No Country For Old Men.

Tezcatlipoca 11-04-2009 02:18

Ocean's 12

Very good. Nice touch with Julia Roberts playing Tess playing Julia Roberts, lol.

I still prefer the first one though (the original remake, not the original original... not seen that one sadly).

pedantic 13-04-2009 00:41

Eagle eye

Fast moving action thriller, very enjoyable. 8/10 :tu:

kingbuxton 13-04-2009 22:34

Cleopatra - far better than I was expecting 8/10

Liz Taylor was a fine looking woman!

Also Platoon/The Sting - seen em loads - but not for a few years.

Platoon 9/10 - The Sting 10/10 - it's perfect.

SB_07 15-04-2009 03:36

Tyson - 10/10

Hugh 23-04-2009 20:28

In The Loop - 10/10.

I laughed out loud all the way through - my favourite line was from James Gandolfini as an US Army General "Only people who haven't been to war want to go there; if you've been there before, you only go there again if you have to - a bit like France"

Tezcatlipoca 24-04-2009 01:00

20 years before Pirates of the Caribbean, there was...

Savage Islands

Classic swashbuckling action-adventure starring Tommy Lee Jones.

8/10

Tezcatlipoca 25-04-2009 00:39

Classic cheesy sword & sorcery from 1980:

Hawk the Slayer

John Terry, Jack Palance, Bernard Bresslaw, William Morgan Sheppard, Patricia Quinn, Annette Crosbie, Roy Kinnear...

Awesome stuff, with some crap-yet-great dialogue & effects.

And, 'cos of the new Riddick game...

Pitch Black

8/10

Excellent.

zing_deleted 25-04-2009 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34782426)
Classic cheesy sword & sorcery from 1980:

Hark the Slayer

John Terry, Jack Palance, Bernard Bresslaw, William Morgan Sheppard, Patricia Quinn, Annette Crosbie, Roy Kinnear...

Awesome stuff, with some crap-yet-great dialogue & effects.

And, 'cos of the new Riddick game...

Pitch Black

8/10

Excellent.

Its Hawk the Slayer isnt it lol excellent pap movie I like the elf and his multi arrows lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXmKxe-iHk

Tezcatlipoca 25-04-2009 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34782678)
Its Hawk the Slayer isnt it lol excellent pap movie I like the elf and his multi arrows lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXmKxe-iHk

[Bah, me & my stupid typos]

ROFL, yeah, and the one-handed guy's crossbow bolts.

It's an utter cheesefest, with some horrendously corny dialogue & rather poor effects, and yet... it's bloody brilliant.

Hugh 30-04-2009 19:12

X-Men Origins:Wolverine - 9/10.

Much darker and grittier than the X-men films (imho) - v. enjoyable.

Hugh 03-05-2009 09:57

Warrior King - 5/10, good fight scenes

Rocknrolla - 6/10 - not much happens, but in an enjoyably Guy Ritchie way.

Peter_ 03-05-2009 11:23

X-Men Origins:Wolverine - 9/10.

Very good and will look so much better on the big screen than on your TV.

Tezcatlipoca 04-05-2009 01:07

You'll get finished FX on the big screen too ;)

Predator

10/10 for a classic Arnie action movie. Awesome stuff.

Some great quotes too...

"Get to da chopper!"

"Stick around."

"If it bleeds, we can kill it."

"I ain't got time to bleed."

etc.

LA Confidential

10/10

Quite simply, a masterpiece. A true modern classic.

I still feel it was ridiculous that it lost out at the Oscars to Titanic.

Peter_ 04-05-2009 06:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34787984)
You'll get finished FX on the big screen too ;)

To get the full visual impact you need to be in a cinema or have a massive home cinema screen.;)

kingbuxton 06-05-2009 00:04

Quote:

I still feel it was ridiculous that it lost out at the Oscars to Titanic.
Wasn't it up against LA AND Boogie Nights? Travesty that it won against those.

Tyson - 9/10. Bad guy, he admits it, he still got screwed by worse people.

Bank Job - 8/10 - based on a true story (If it is accurate 9/10)

Had a Bank Hol Mon Gangster fest........

Long Good Friday - 9/10
Snatch - 9/10
Layer Cake - 8/10
Revolver - 8/10