Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Which is better Sky Q or Sky+? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709503)

RichardCoulter 17-11-2020 22:01

Re: Which is better Sky Q or Sky+?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36058540)
I'm also about to jump ship to Sky Q next month. I'm now in a position where I can save a couple of ££ a month (sans the install fee) moving across as I was on a legacy package with Sky+. Now that UHD has been decoupled from multi-room which I don't need! So was a bit of a no brainer. I can report back on how I find it!

Thank you Bob, that would be very useful.

Bob 19-11-2020 13:22

In terms of Sky+ here are my thoughts:

- Reliable for the most part and straight forward to use - it generally just works
- PQ is excellent - does a much better job than my parent's V6 (much cleaner image)
- It has got slower as they've tried to make the interface more image based
- Some of the menu nav in the On Demand sections are poor
- I find Series Links iffy if you're expecting it to record a new series - it more often than not fails - it certainly has nowhere near the flexibility of the V6 (and I'm guessing Sky Q)

But you are going to be moving to a platform whose days are numbered, so it seems silly not to move to the latest given Sky Q is at least a more mature platform.

RichardCoulter 09-12-2020 04:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36058826)
In terms of Sky+ here are my thoughts:

- Reliable for the most part and straight forward to use - it generally just works
- PQ is excellent - does a much better job than my parent's V6 (much cleaner image)
- It has got slower as they've tried to make the interface more image based
- Some of the menu nav in the On Demand sections are poor
- I find Series Links iffy if you're expecting it to record a new series - it more often than not fails - it certainly has nowhere near the flexibility of the V6 (and I'm guessing Sky Q)

But you are going to be moving to a platform whose days are numbered, so it seems silly not to move to the latest given Sky Q is at least a more mature platform.

Thanks for your feedback. I've heard that series links can be a bit iffy on Sky Q, but as the days of the TiVo software are also numbered, there's nothing to keep me when this is replaced by the (IMO) inferior software. This and the abysmal customer service to the point it's now impossible to do business with them means I have to leave VM when I can legally break the contract or when it expires.

I've decided to go for Sky Q at least for the minimum 18 month term. This will get me the wiring in place for the new Freesat 4K box for £10 at most (should be about £160-£200).

If I like it and they offer me a deal I can't refuse, i'll stay. If not, i'll go to Freesat and use Now TV for the odd occasion I want pay TV :)

GrimUpNorth 09-12-2020 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36061437)
Thanks for your feedback. I've heard that series links can be a bit iffy on Sky Q, but as the days of the TiVo software are also numbered, there's nothing to keep me when this is replaced by the (IMO) inferior software. This and the abysmal customer service to the point it's now impossible to do business with them means I have to leave VM when I can legally break the contract or when it expires.

I've decided to go for Sky Q at least for the minimum 18 month term. This will get me the wiring in place for the new Freesat 4K box for £10 at most (should be about £160-£200).

If I like it and they offer me a deal I can't refuse, i'll stay. If not, i'll go to Freesat and use Now TV for the odd occasion I want pay TV :)

Just make sure your Freesat box is compatible with a wideband LNB or ask Sky to install a dish with a hybrid LNB but I understand they no longer supply the hybrids.

RichardCoulter 09-12-2020 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth (Post 36061448)
Just make sure your Freesat box is compatible with a wideband LNB or ask Sky to install a dish with a hybrid LNB but I understand they no longer supply the hybrids.

Thanks, I will do. I actually have a Freesat HD box that I will use as a backup in case the Sky Q box becomes faulty, so i'll see if I can somehow have a hybrid LNB installed.

holbrookged 10-03-2021 20:21

Everythjng i read about SkyQ sounds great but if we upgrade from Sky+ we lose days worth of recordings from the Sky+ box

Stephen 10-03-2021 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by holbrookged (Post 36073830)
Everythjng i read about SkyQ sounds great but if we upgrade from Sky+ we lose days worth of recordings from the Sky+ box

You'd either need to watch everything first or depending on where you recorded it from it may be available to download to the stb.