Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Free V6 box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705962)

Broken Hope 23-01-2018 12:28

Free V6 box

Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.

Mad Max 23-01-2018 13:08

Re: Free V6 box

It does happen..

daveeb 23-01-2018 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Hope (Post 35933537)
Not sure if everyone can get it but in MyVirginMedia I was able to upgrade one of my old TiVo boxes to a V6 for no cost, not even the £20 activation charge.

They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.

Mad Max 23-01-2018 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35933554)
They've offered me one free, twice so far. Yet to take them up on the offer but yes they definitely do it.

Why didn't you take it mate, they are a huge improvement on the old TiVo.

denphone 23-01-2018 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933556)

Most definitely MM.

SnoopZ 23-01-2018 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35933554)

You should take it up asap before they change their mind!

StopThePigeon 23-01-2018 17:00

The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.

BenMcr 23-01-2018 17:01

There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.

OLD BOY 23-01-2018 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by StopThePigeon (Post 35933582)
The only reason, not to take a V6, is losing the recordings on the TiVo - nothing, at all, to do with cost.

A few weeks back, there was talk of VM providing a copy function from TiVo to V6, but that seems to have died a death.

The best way to avoid the loss of material you haven't yet seen is to watch as much as possible by the beginning of autumn (there will be less good material to record during the summer, so at this point your list will be a short as it's likely to get.

Next, work out what you can watch in a different way (eg through Virgin Media On Demand, Netflix, Amazon, Now TV, TV Player, etc).

Then watch what you are left with before your new box arrives. Once you have your new V6 installed, start recording on there and in the meantime, catch up with the other stuff you wanted to see before it is taken off the relevant streaming, catch up and on demand services.

That's what I did prior to changing my box and I didn't miss a thing in the end, despite the long list I had!

Raider999 23-01-2018 17:14

I would have thought the easiest way would be to add an extra box (v6) for a month or 2 whilst watching things on old TiVo box - remove the TiVo box when everything watched.

Yes it would cost extra for a month or 2, but would be easier to do.

StopThePigeon 23-01-2018 17:15

And that is the real blocker, for moving to V6 - paying VM a premium for a very neat PVR service, that is not transferrable, ruins the cost justification of building a collection of recordings. With or without the option of the V6, the need to replace a TiVo box with another TiVo box (performance, disk failure, fatigue, etc.) defeats the point of investing in the product.

BenMcr 23-01-2018 17:41

The V6 is TiVo based, which means you can transfer the settings across.

But there has never been an option to transfer the recordings themselves from any type of Virgin Media PVR to another physical box.

daveeb 23-01-2018 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35933556)

I probably should have and may live to regret it. Reasons at the time were
1. slight suspicion at the offer and wondered if there was a catch
2. recordings I don't really want to lose
3. currently pipe signal to other tv's via scart to rf modulator > rf distributor and would lose that option. Would be trickier to split/send hdmi signal.

but yes, i probably shouldn't have looked a gift horse in the mouth :dunce:

cheekyangus 23-01-2018 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933583)
There are no current plans to offer a copy of recordings.

You can already copy Series Link+, Thumbs and recording Wishlist settings between TiVo based boxes.

Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.

spiderplant 23-01-2018 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35933601)
Ben, do VM backup these up regularly over the box broadband connection or do you need to ask the engineer (or a VM rep over the phone if a self install) to do this?

I wouldn't like to lose my settings because I assumed something.

They are backed up to a server automatically, and remain available for two weeks after the box is removed