Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705944)

Osem 18-01-2018 12:28

Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

Just got an email from VM telling me they're planning to change home user's superhubs into wi-fi hot spots. I have a SH2 and it's the first I've heard of this but is it anything to be concerned about?

v0id 18-01-2018 13:09

Re: Superhub turning into wi-fi hot spot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35932979)
Just got an email from VM telling me they're planning to change home user's superhubs into wi-fi hot spots. I have a SH2 and it's the first I've heard of this but is it anything to be concerned about?

You can opt out as far as I'm aware, although you won't be able to use any of the hot spots via the Virginmedia app if you do.

It's basically what BT do with their hubs and shouldn't impact your connection.

Chris 18-01-2018 13:21

BT have done this for years. As a BT customer I have often benefited from access to such hotspots wherever I am in the country. At home I have never suffered from having my bandwidth shared because it is quite tightly managed and only releases a small portion of it for the hotspot to use.

If they implement it like BT the hotspot will have a completely different name and IP address but you won't be able to influence the way it works in any way. No blocking protocols, ports, setting up access schedules, a DMZ or anything else you might like to do with your home router.

Taf 18-01-2018 13:35

I wonder how much power it consumes? And what happens to your access to the hotspots if you habitually turn your router off at night?

BenMcr 18-01-2018 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35932991)
You can opt out as far as I'm aware, although you won't be able to use any of the hot spots via the Virginmedia app if you do.

Actually opting out your own hotspot doesn't affect your ability to use the rest of the Virgin Media WiFi service.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:35 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35932993)
BT have done this for years. As a BT customer I have often benefited from access to such hotspots wherever I am in the country. At home I have never suffered from having my bandwidth shared because it is quite tightly managed and only releases a small portion of it for the hotspot to use.

It works differently to BT. A separate service flow is added to the Hub, so it doesn't take anything away from your home connection. Whereas my understand is that for BT it takes some of the overall sync speed for the extra WiFi connection.

So for instance instead of having one 100Mb config, there is for instance 100Mb + 20Mb.

---------- Post added at 13:38 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

I'd also point out that this has been running on the Hub 3.0 for ages:

http://www.cableforum.uk/board/showt...php?t=33703961

JPAC 18-01-2018 14:19

Haven't had an email yet, so SH2 are becoming hotspots as well as SH3?

BenMcr 18-01-2018 14:25

The 2ac are, the older 2 isn't.

alanbjames 18-01-2018 16:12

ive not had this email and a SH3 user here.

BenMcr 18-01-2018 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35933016)
ive not had this email and a SH3 user here.

Depends when you got the Hub 3.0

They were switched on early last year, so those customers who already had a Hub 3.0 at that point would have been notified.

Anyone else who got a Hub 3.0 afterwards are covered by the existing T&Cs, and the Hub would have been automatically opted in:
http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-...ces.html#using

Quote:

H9. We reserve the right to automatically enable any additional and separate bandwidth on the equipment we provide in order to offer a separate wireless local area network (Wi-Fi Hotspot) for other customers in the local area to connect to.

Stuart 18-01-2018 16:36

What about if it's in Modem mode?

BenMcr 18-01-2018 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35933020)
What about if it's in Modem mode?

Automatically opted out as all the WiFi features of the Hub are disabled.

nomadking 18-01-2018 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35933021)
Automatically opted out as all the WiFi features of the Hub are disabled.

That must mean that the Hub "informs" VM when it is in modem mode.

heero_yuy 18-01-2018 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35933027)

Big brother is watching you.

nomadking 18-01-2018 19:15

If you're using a VM phone/SIM, then the Hub settings are irrelevant.

BenMcr 18-01-2018 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35933027)

Yes, there are lots of things that Virgin Media can see about both the broadband and TV kit as part of diagnostic tools.