Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Scam? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707345)

JPAC 31-01-2019 18:21

Scam?

Received an email allegedly from VM telling me how much data I've used in the last 12 months;
"Wondering how much you rely on broadband, "...My name"? Is it legit?

Anybody else get an email about this? from email@vmemail.virginmedia.com

My email client flagged it up as a possible scam.

Mr K 31-01-2019 18:27

Re: Scam?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35981451)
Received an email allegedly from VM telling me how much data I've used in the last 12 months;
"Wondering how much you rely on broadband, "...My name"? Is it legit?

Anybody else get an email about this? from email@vmemail.virginmedia.com

My email client flagged it up as a possible scam.

It probably is legit if they're not asking you to click on any links. Probably buttering us for a post Brexit price rise....

General Maximus 31-01-2019 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35981452)
Probably buttering us for a post Brexit price rise....

As more and more devices are connecting to the internet and we can see how much you enjoy your Virgin Media super fast fibre broadband connection it is more important than ever that we continue to invest in our network so you can continue to email, browse, game and stream. To this end we would like to inform you that as of 1st April 2019 the price for your bundle will be increasing by £10 per month.

trublue 31-01-2019 19:12

I get one every year, definitely legit.

Hugh 31-01-2019 20:42

Legit - I get one every year.

Mr K 31-01-2019 20:45

Never had one, as I opt out from all such crap from VM or anyone else.

Paul 01-02-2019 04:06

Yep, I got one as well.

nashville 01-02-2019 15:12

I had an Email from Amazon .com thanking me for an order to the value of 94 dollars and 34 cents. I phoned up my credit card nothing had been taken out and they gave me a new card. I phoned Amazon.co.uk and they past the email on to Amazon.com. These things are frightening.

RichardCoulter 01-02-2019 16:04

I received this, but by letter.

JPAC 01-02-2019 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 35981631)
I had an Email from Amazon .com thanking me for an order to the value of 94 dollars and 34 cents. I phoned up my credit card nothing had been taken out and they gave me a new card. I phoned Amazon.co.uk and they past the email on to Amazon.com. These things are frightening.

Maybe your email was stolen? Just today quote; "Nearly 2.2 billion stolen emails and passwords have surfaced online for criminals to access"

nashville 01-02-2019 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPAC (Post 35981661)
Maybe your email was stolen? Just today quote; "Nearly 2.2 billion stolen emails and passwords have surfaced online for criminals to access"

Ok Thanks

General Maximus 01-02-2019 18:14

Quote:

If you have at the sending email address it is complete gobbledy gook and onviously not from amazon. I have been getting them for the last couple of months and luckily my email client puts them straight into the junk folder.

Paul 01-02-2019 19:52

Quote:

They are spam designed to steal your password. Basically they will have a false link in them, made to look like the amazon login, in the hope you panic and try to log in, at which point they have stolen your login credentials. All you need to do is delete them. I get these all the while.

nashville 01-02-2019 23:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35981702)
They are spam designed to steal your password. Basically they will have a false link in them, made to look like the amazon login, in the hope you panic and try to log in, at which point they have stolen your login credentials. All you need to do is delete them. I get these all the while.

Ok Thanks

heero_yuy 02-02-2019 07:59

Remember if you hover your mouse over any link the URL will show on the bottom LH corner of the screen so you can check where it will take you. Try it on the logo in my signature.