Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A question dues.... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710229)

Dude111 17-07-2021 08:26

Hey how are ya guys??

When I play a DOS game I have to enter ESSOLO in dos to set the sound card up so it works in DOS (But I only hear it thru the computer speaker then) but then it doesnt work for my desktop stuff unless I reboot..... Does anyone know how to restart the soundcard so I can listen to streams with my player or play MAME games and hear sound?? (Once I type ESSOLO,I can only hear the dos game)

Been wondering if there is a way and figured someone here might know :)

Thank you.....

djmagnifique 17-07-2021 15:29

Re: A question dues....

If it is just MAME games that you are playing in DOS you can use a MAME frontend gui in Windows like MAMEUI to run them http://www.mameui.info/

heero_yuy 17-07-2021 16:18

If the sound is only from the PC internal speaker then you're not using your sound card but an emulation program.

To use the sound card under DOS you'll need to install a suitable driver either in config.sys or autoexec.bat. Whether one is available from the manufacturer will depend on the age of the card.

Hugh 17-07-2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36086583)
If the sound is only from the PC internal speaker then you're not using your sound card but an emulation program.

To use the sound card under DOS you'll need to install a suitable driver either in config.sys or autoexec.bat. Whether one is available from the manufacturer will depend on the age of the card.

Heavens, that takes me back - amending autoexec.bat and configure.sys files to free up memory to run games.

heero_yuy 17-07-2021 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36086589)
Heavens, that takes me back - amending autoexec.bat and configure.sys files to free up memory to run games.

I can remember the goal of getting the maximum amount of DOS memory to run (custom) Doom levels. We used to use Qemm (Quarterdeck memory manager) and 4dos (Custom Shell) to get 634Kb of DOS memory. Everything loaded high.

People are just spoilt these days. :p:

Dude111 17-07-2021 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh

Ya Hugh I dont have anything in my autoexec.bat file and I dont have "configure.sys"

Thanx for the help everyone :)

Hugh 17-07-2021 23:11

The difference is - we had to, due to the limitations of the time.

You don’t….

Dude111 18-07-2021 00:24

Whadda ya mean mate???

That I dont have amything in autoexec.bat?? (There was stuff in it when I first got this computer...... This poor thing was so badly treated its amazing I got it working as good as I did)

They had this in there "If error than pause" which meant if ANYTHING happend if would just freeze and you had no idea why!!

I took that out and helped her the best I could....... She had terrible memory problems,kept freezing,etc........

I love Win98se ..... It almost seems like this is not a true Win98se OS,it looks like they tried to update it to SE but it didnt go all the way... IS THERE ANYWAY FOR SURE TO KNOW WHICH OS YOUR ON? (Looking at file versions or whatnot??)

SnoopZ 18-07-2021 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dude111 (Post 36086680)
Whadda ya mean mate???

That I dont have amything in autoexec.bat?? (There was stuff in it when I first got this computer...... This poor thing was so badly treated its amazing I got it working as good as I did)

They had this in there "If error than pause" which meant if ANYTHING happend if would just freeze and you had no idea why!!

I took that out and helped her the best I could....... She had terrible memory problems,kept freezing,etc........

I love Win98se ..... It almost seems like this is not a true Win98se OS,it looks like they tried to update it to SE but it didnt go all the way... IS THERE ANYWAY FOR SURE TO KNOW WHICH OS YOUR ON? (Looking at file versions or whatnot??)

https://www.glinx.com/support/article/00011.htm

mrmistoffelees 18-07-2021 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36086589)

Your memory is failing, it was config.sys ;)

Hugh 18-07-2021 09:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36086689)
Your memory is failing, it was config.sys ;)

Autocorrect…;)

Dude111 21-07-2021 06:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ

Gracious..... It says 2222A like I always saw but this one has many more problems than our other 98se did........ (My dad took it to a computer repair place sometime in 2001 and they said it had a fire while on the bench and they gave this one...... Same OS but many problems...... She crashed alot,froze,etc......... (I think they just took our GOOD 98se and gave us this one))

They had it set for dual monitor and man was it hard getting it to single!!!!!! -- It kept reverting back to dual but I finally got it.........

Im not complaining though as it has 98se on it and not XP (I dont really like XP) and I have been able to make her better Although she still has some problems from time to time.......